The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the settling scores thing...it's more about people dropping the ball I think.

LaRae

The senior royals should received Spanish Orders during the State Visit. William, Catherine, and Camilla. For some odd reason, they were all skipped.

As I said before, when it comes to the British royals and orders, you’ll end up getting a massive headache trying to figure it all out.

I think the family knighthood system needs to be looked at in the next reign.

Look at Catherine; been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years and she’s yet to even receive the family order. I mean that’s sad and silly at the same time.

Last edited:
It is very odd that Camilla did not receive an order, as the wife of the heir. I would have wondered if the Spanish were trying a new way of giving orders ala Belgium or Sweden, but since they gave Harry an order, I just don't get it. I get why the British are stingy, it's just the way they are, but even Prince Lorenz has a Spanish order.

Somebody in Spain dropped the ball BIG TIME.

I think it is possible that when Charles becomes King, he may visit Spain and perhaps then Camilla will finally get a Spanish Order, but who knows what the future holds.

I think that there was some Buckingham Palace input on the Spanish orders. The detailed planning of such visits would be no surprise to our regular posters here.

I think that Harry, Anne and Andrew were given their specific parts to play in the visit with the knowledge that there would probably be orders given.

Look at Catherine; been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years and she’s yet to even receive the family order. I mean that’s sad and silly at the same time.

Or she's rec'd them but isn't wearing them.

LaRae

Or she's rec'd them but isn't wearing them.

LaRae

I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.

I think that there was some Buckingham Palace input on the Spanish orders. The detailed planning of such visits would be no surprise to our regular posters here.

I think that Harry, Anne and Andrew were given their specific parts to play in the visit with the knowledge that there would probably be orders given.

That Spanish visit got moved around so much. It quite possibly that different people were initially scheduled to participate when it was scheduled for earlier in the year and then the election caused it to get pushed back. The Cambridges both had other events on the day after the State Dinner when the events with Andrew, Anne and Harry happened. It could have been different people if the initial 2017 dates stayed the same.

I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.

The Norwegian RF also doesn't hand out their order to all 'married-in' family members... Ari Behn for example never received a Norwegian order. That is why he wore his Dutch order to the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling.

The only order Iñaki had was based on his success in sports. I don't think Jaime Marichalar ever received an order.

The Dutch do hand out the family order (Laurentien has it) but Pieter only got the (higher) Order of the Dutch Lion on his 65th birthday after decades of service to the queen(s).

That Spanish visit got moved around so much. It quite possibly that different people were initially scheduled to participate when it was scheduled for earlier in the year and then the election caused it to get pushed back. The Cambridges both had other events on the day after the State Dinner when the events with Andrew, Anne and Harry happened. It could have been different people if the initial 2017 dates stayed the same.

However, the notion of awarding some people an order on the basis of an activity that might take an hour or so (and others, Camilla(!), not) instead of based on seniority is what is most awkward.

The Norwegian RF also doesn't hand out their order to all 'married-in' family members... Ari Behn for example never received a Norwegian order. That is why he wore his Dutch order to the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling.

The only order Iñaki had was based on his success in sports. I don't think Jaime Marichalar ever received an order.

The Dutch do hand out the family order (Laurentien has it) but Pieter only got the (higher) Order of the Dutch Lion on his 65th birthday after decades of service to the queen(s).

Catherine is the wife of the Duke of Cambridge, Second in line to the throne, been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years. She should’ve been had the family order by this time.

It was a shock that Camilla, William and Catherine were passed up on then Spanish order, but perhaps they will get orders during another royal State Visit in the future.

Lord knows, the British royals don’t host incoming foreign royal State Visits often like they used to.

If it was announced beforehand that three British royals would be receiving orders, how many people had said Anne, Andrew and Harry?

Spain can do as it likes but to pass over three higher ranked royals looks odd.

Al least we knew only to expect the Garter for Felipe. There no surprises there.

Last edited:
I always kinda cringe when I see the BRF around other royals, because it is so awkward. All the other European royals seem so close, but the BRF just don't. Not sure why.

I find it odd Catherine doesn't have an order and I wonder why. I have my theories, but I won't share.

I wonder if Harry will get an order from Denmark when he visits. What order could he get?

:previous: I kind of agree. But only when they are in a group together. In one-on-one situations they seem quite okay and even friendly and relaxed.

At least the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and the POW do. The others not so much.

Charles has very elegant, gracious manners when greeting foreign Royals. I love to watch him with female Royalty in particular!;)

Last edited:
It's the younger generation of the BRF who lack manners when with other royalty. Does Charles have Spanish Orders? Did Diana?

Charles has an order from almost every country including Spain. Diana had one order and it was from Queen Beatrix

:previous:Wow..I was somehow under the impression that the late PoW had been loaded with Orders!?

I got it wrong.

Diana never had a BRF family order? I could have sworn she got one after William was born.

Charles has an order from almost every country including Spain. Diana had one order and it was from Queen Beatrix

Diana had two foreign orders Dutch and Egyptian.

Diana never had a BRF family order? I could have sworn she got one after William was born.

Yes, Diana had the family order. She just never received any other order from the Queen.

Last edited:
I thought only countries with monarchies gave out orders. What was Diana's Egyptian order for?

I always kinda cringe when I see the BRF around other royals, because it is so awkward. All the other European royals seem so close, but the BRF just don't. Not sure why.

I find it odd Catherine doesn't have an order and I wonder why. I have my theories, but I won't share.

I wonder if Harry will get an order from Denmark when he visits. What order could he get?

Kate did quite well with HGD Stephanie earlier this year ...so I think they all rub along well enough but since the war things changed so much...and that includes the relationships between the monarchies.

LaRae

I don't know...no one has yet to figure it out..all we can do is offer theories!

LaRae

I thought only countries with monarchies gave out orders. What was Diana's Egyptian order for?

I think it was the President of Egypt made a State Visit to the UK and awarded Diana with the Order of the Virtues. The Queen is also a member.

I don't know...no one has yet to figure it out..all we can do is offer theories!

LaRae

I know and it’s extremely frustrating and nerve wrecking.

I have said the same thing, it upsets me that Catherine is being slighted regarding this FO issue. The darn thing doesn't need to be in ivory. Take a picture and slap it on a silver or gold badge, superglue a couple of diamonds and tie a ribbon on it.

I wish that they would simply issue a statement that the Queen isn't issuing further FO to her grandchildren's generation. I keep thinking that this is some how a result of the "slimline" royal fam.

Last edited:
I don’t look at as being slighted. I’m in the camp that thinks she has it and doesn’t wear but just say she doesn’t have it. She will eventually. We don’t say the Queen is slighting Harry by not giving him the Garter.

We all have our opinions on it and everyone knows mine but we know it takes a relatively long time to accumulate orders in the BRF.

One day Catherine will show up with the RVO over her shoulder and we’ll all be happy. At least I will be :D

I don’t look at as being slighted. I’m in the camp that thinks she has it and doesn’t wear but just say she doesn’t have it. She will eventually. We don’t say the Queen is slighting Harry by not giving him the Garter.

We all have our opinions on it and everyone knows mine but we know it takes a relatively long time to accumulate orders in the BRF.

One day Catherine will show up with the RVO over her shoulder and we’ll all be happy. At least I will be :D

That should be this year at the Diplomatic Corps Reception in December. I mean it’s just long overdue.

The family order isn’t a knighthood though.

If Kate had that order, she'd wear it. I don't think she has it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see why he would get an order for just visiting Denmark. These are typically handed out at state visits (with only very few exceptions); and Harry will never bring a state visit, so any foreign orders he gets will depend on him participating in incoming state visits (as I don't expect him to join either his father or his brother at outgoing state visits in the future).

Whom are you thinking about? Edward and Sophie seem very friendly with them and will know them rather well given how many times they've met. William and Catherine have been getting to know some of their continental colleagues a little over the last few years. The others not so much but that's mainly because of the queen's policy in all of this.

However, again, we are going off-topic :flowers:

Why wouldn't Harry participate in outgoing State visits?

Also, what do you mean the Queen's policy?

Why wouldn't Harry participate in outgoing State visits?

Also, what do you mean the Queen's policy?

The question is more why would Harry participate in outgoing state visits? In almost all cases it is a visit of the sovereign and his/her spouse; if someone would be added to the party, it would be the heir and his/her spouse. As Harry is neither of those, there is no reason to assume he would join a state visit.

The British are invited to all kinds of European royal events and the queen has sent Edward and Sophie (instead of Charles and Camilla - which would be more in line with the other royal houses); that's the policy I am referring to.

I created a topic about the relationship between the BRF and other European royals, so let's move our discussion about that topic to this new thread.

Many republics also have orders to honor special contributions - for the government/president to hand out (or at least in their name).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom