The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, when did Camilla get the RFO? How many years after the wedding? I'm too lazy to go searching for the answer and I'm sure one of several posters with superior knowledge of these things will be able to tell me.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall was given the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II around 2007. The second year after her marriage to The Prince of Wales.

Thank you, Dman :flowers:.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall was given the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II around 2007. The second year after her marriage to The Prince of Wales.

I would imagine that a lot of people would look at Camilla's receiving the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II just two years into her marriage to The Prince of Wales as being somewhat hurried but I can see some solid reasons for this. I think perhaps that this honor personally bestowed by the Queen tells everyone openly that she has come to realize just how invaluable Camilla's support to her son is and that she has wholeheartedly accepted Camilla into the family and supports her future role as Queen Consort to Charles.

But as I commented in my previous post, this isn't your mother's royal family.
Things are changing and William appears to have his grandmother's favour.
I'm only speculating but but I don't think its 'smart' to compare the 'old' BRF with the new and shiny BRF lol.

I never would have believed 10 years ago that William at 30 would be a Royal Duke, a Knight of both the Garter and Thistle but he is and I think it shows the confidence HM has in him.

The discussion re William receiving the Order of the Bath interests me beause even Prince Philip has not received this award. The Queen is Sovereign and therefore is Head of the Order and Prince Charles is Grand Master - that's it. Princess Alice of Gloucester was the only female recipient and from my reading, that was because Prince Henry of Gloucester was Grand Master.

I dont know fo another member of the royal family to receive this - is that correct?

The discussion re William receiving the Order of the Bath interests me beause even Prince Philip has not received this award. The Queen is Sovereign and therefore is Head of the Order and Prince Charles is Grand Master - that's it. Princess Alice of Gloucester was the only female recipient and from my reading, that was because Prince Henry of Gloucester was Grand Master.

I dont know fo another member of the royal family to receive this - is that correct?

Sort of. FYI - William is not yet a Member of the order.

Tim Lawrence is - CB 2007

Like the Order of the Thistle that recognizes government service in in Scotland, the Order of the Bath does that in Britain, So most members tend to be ministers, the military and diplomats - people who work for the country on a daily basis. Neither the Thistle or the Bath orders are handed out "just because you are family." While one most work for any honour, it's more likely a royal family member would receive the family honour (if female) or the Garter or the OBE.

Princess Anne is a great example of a person who has earned an been given a number of appropriate honours.

AdmirerUS said:
Princess Anne is a great example of a person who has earned an been given a number of appropriate honours.

Indeed! That girl is so hard working!

Prince Philip has been made Member Special Class of the Order of Kuwait - the highest class of the Order and is reserved only for Princes and Heads of Government. He wore the sash, the ribbon, the star and the badge of the Order for the State Banquet in honour of the Kuwaiti visit.

The honour was most probably conferred upon during this State Visit because previously only two members of the British Royal Family had honours from Kuwait:
- The Queen has Collar of the Order of Mubarak the Great, and is also Member Special Class of the Order of Kuwait.
- Prince Charles is Member of the Order of Mubarak the Great.

The sash of the Special class is green with two white stripes. The badge is worn suspended from a ribbon and the badge - on the left breast.

Well, that answers the question I had in the State Visit thread. Thanks!!

:previous:

You are welcome. :)
Orders and decorations are my favourite hobby after genealogy.

Last edited:
Atremisia - is the sash intended to be worn this low? It looks to be riding underneath Prince Philips's Left armpit. It looks uncomfortable.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Not really. From what I have seen of other recipients of the Special Order, the Sash is supposed to be worn over the right shoulder - not under the left armpit. Can't really say why the Duke wore it that way.

Hi Artemisia..I just have a doubt. Maybe its already discussed..Did Edward VIII give his RFO during his brief reign?Who all got them?
And what do you think QEII will give her RFOs to all her grandchildren? Atleast when they are in 30s? Or she makes this also in tune with 'reforms' and confines them to Will, Harry and their wives?
Also, one more question..I read that only DoE and PoW were given Order of Merit. I am afraid no one until William that too in 10-15 years may get it in BRF..But I strongly believe Princess Anne should also be given. She is as deserving as Charles for all the Orders and Honours..What do you say

Last edited:
Hi Artemisia..I just have a doubt. Maybe its already discussed..Did Edward VIII give his RFO during his brief reign?Who all got them?
Edward VIII never issued his Royal Family Order so obviously there are no recipients.
In that, he because one of the only two Monarchs after George IV (the other being William IV) to have never had his/her own Royal Family Order.

And what do you think QEII will give her RFOs to all her grandchildren? Atleast when they are in 30s? Or she makes this also in tune with 'reforms' and confines them to Will, Harry and their wives?
I don't think anyone but the Queen could give a definite answer to this question so this is just my opinion.
I think it is highly likely she will, at some point, issue Royal Family Orders for her grandchildren, at least those who are Royal Highnesses - William and Harry's wives, Beatrice and Eugenie. Louise and James are still too young for that (although in past, it was not at all unusual to bestow RFOs upon young children and indeed, Estelle of Sweden was wearing one at her christening), while Zara and Autumn don't really attend events where we could see their Orders.

Last edited:
^^^^ I thought the RFO was only given to female members of the BRF?

Edward VIII never issued his Royal Family Order so obviously there are no recipients.
In that, he because one of the only two Monarchs after George IV (the other being William IV) to have never had his/her own Royal Family Order.

I don't think anyone but the Queen could give a definite answer to this question so this is just my opinion.
I think it is highly likely she will, at some point, issue Royal Family Orders for her grandchildren, at least those who are Royal Highnesses - William (as well as Kate), Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie. Louise and James are still too young for that (although in past, it was not at all unusual to bestow RFOs upon young children and indeed, Estelle of Sweden was wearing one at her christening), while Zara and Pete don't really attend events where we could see their Orders.
Well she will certainly never give her Royal Family Order to William, Harry, Peter or James since it is for women only.

Well, I think the ones that will recieve The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II is The Duchess of Cambridge and Harry's future wife. The Queen might give Beatrice & Eugenie the Family Order. I don't know for sure if it's ruled out totally.

Well she will certainly never give her Royal Family Order to William, Harry, Peter or James since it is for women only.
^^^^ I thought the RFO was only given to female members of the BRF?
It is. My bad; I obviously meant William, Harry and James's wives, as well as Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise. Corrected.

Also, one more question..I read that only DoE and PoW were given Order of Merit. I am afraid no one until William that too in 10-15 years may get it in BRF..But I strongly believe Princess Anne should also be given. She is as deserving as Charles for all the Orders and Honours..What do you say
While I am the first one to laud Princess Anne's work and achievements, I doubt she - or any other member of the Royal Family during the Queen's reign - will be awarded the Order of Merit. The Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales were given the honour not as much for their achievements (considerable as they may be) but as the Royal Consort and Heir Apparent.

Now, the Order is limited to 24 people only - and not just from Britain but all Commonwealth Realms. It is given for distinguished service in the Armed Forces, art, literature and science. While there is currently one vacant position, Anne, however wonderful she is, doesn't really make the cut, especially if you consider who the previous and current recipients: Florence Nightingale, Lord Lister, Henry Moore, Sir Edward Elgar, T. S. Eliot, E. M. Forster, Graham Greene, Sir Winston Churchill, Earl Attlee, General Baden-Powell, Field Marshal Haig, Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, Albert Schweitzer, General Eisenhower, Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela.

I am a little perplexed by HM wearing the RFO from George V, given she was 9 years old when he passed away, and certainly not expected to be monarch at the time. Any ideas as to when it may have been presented to her, and possibly why?

:previous:Thanks Artemisia..So I guess the next royal receiving it will be Prince William, that too at the fag end of Charles III's reign..

I am a little perplexed by HM wearing the RFO from George V, given she was 9 years old when he passed away, and certainly not expected to be monarch at the time. Any ideas as to when it may have been presented to her, and possibly why?

I guess for the silver Jubilee of George V in 1935 ...

Margaret had it as well. Lets just say George V was much more generous with his distribution of honours than his granddaughter is in her reign.

Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret received George V's Royal Family Order in 1935, a year before the King died. It was the Silver Jubilee and so George V bestowed the honour on several females in his family. Besides, while Elizabeth was not expected to ascend to the Throne, she was still Heiress Presumptive even back then because the Prince of Wales was unmarried and childless.

Awarding young children with Family Orders was not uncommon back then; for instance, Princess Alexandra was herself just a child (12, I think?) when she received the Royal Family Order of George VI - and she was most definitely not expected to become a Monarch.

:previous:Thanks Artemisia..So I guess the next royal receiving it will be Prince William, that too at the fag end of Charles III's reign..
If William ever receives Order of Merit, it will definitely be during his father's reign and, most probably, after he is invested as the Prince of Wales. Then again, Prince Charles had to spent mere 50 years as the Heir Apparent to the Throne to receive the Order of Merit, so there is a good chance William never gets it.

Last edited:
Margaret had it as well. Lets just say George V was much more generous with his distribution of honours than his granddaughter is in her reign.
That's actually not true: the Queen has given more Family Orders than George V. Admittedly, her reign is longer too, but still.

There were 14 recipients of the Royal Family Order of George V:
1. Queen Mary of Teck
2. The Duchess of York (Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother)
3. Princess Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth II)
4. Princess Margaret
5. The Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Alice)
6. The Duchess of Kent (Princess Marina)
7. Princess Mary (Countess of Harewood)
8. The Princess Royal (Duchess of Fife)
9. Princess Alexandra (Duchess of Fife)
10. Princess Victoria (the King's younger sister)
11. Princess Alexander of Teck (Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone)
12. Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (Princess Helena)
13. Princess Louise (Duchess of Argyll)
14. Princess Henry of Battenberg (Princess Beatrice)

There are 16 recipients of the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth (in no particular order, deceased first, followed by living members of the Order):
1. Queen Mary
2. Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother)
3. The Princess royal (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood)
4. Princess Alice (Countess of Athlone)
5. Princess Alice (Duchess of Gloucester)
6. Princess Marine (Duchess of Kent)
7. Princess Margaret
8. The Princess of Wales (Diana, Princess of Wales)
9. The Duchess of Devonshire (Mary Cavendish)
10. The Princess Royal (Princess Anne)
11. The Duchess of Cornwall
12. The Countess of Wessex
13. The Duchess of Gloucester (Birgitte)
14. The Duchess of Kent (Katharine)
15. Princess Alexandra (The Honourable Lady Ogilvy)
16. The Dowager Duchess of Grafton

:previous:

Yes, but I was actually being more general in my comments about his distribution of honours amongst his family. His sons, Wales, York, Gloucester and Kent received pretty much the whole list of knighthoods available and even minor relations like the Cambridges, and Marie Louise and Helena received honours from the monarch, as did his Harewood son in law, which is not necessarily how QEII goes about it these days.

I know Wikipedia has listed the Duchess of Grafton as a recipient of the RFO but have we any photographic evidence of this. I have only seen pics of her wearing the badge of a lady in waiting/Mistress of Robes to QEII. I would ask the same question about the late Dowager Duchess of Devonshire who was also Mistress of Robes.

Last edited:
Well considering the length of HM's reign, I will agree George V was much more generous with his order.

:previous: Queen Maud was his sister right? And she was not given..Maybe women married into foreign royalty need not be included in RFO..

No family Order for Sarah of York and Marie-Christine of Kent.

Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret received George V's Royal Family Order in 1935, a year before the King died. It was the Silver Jubilee and so George V bestowed the honour on several females in his family. Besides, while Elizabeth was not expected to ascend to the Throne, she was still Heiress Presumptive even back then because the Prince of Wales was unmarried and childless.

Elizabeth was NOT The Heiress Presumptive during the reigns of either her grandfather or uncle.

In her grandfather's reign her uncle was The Heir Apparent.

In her uncle's reign her father was The Heiress Presumptive.

There can only be ONE Heir at a time.

She was 3rd in line during her grandfather's reign and 2nd in her uncle's but she became The Heiress Presumptive when her uncle abdicated.

She could be described as Heiress Presumptive to her father but not as Heiress Presumptive to the throne until her father became King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom