The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Atremisia - is the sash intended to be worn this low? It looks to be riding underneath Prince Philips's Left armpit. It looks uncomfortable.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
I don't think it's actually under his armpit. With white tie, sashes can be shortened and attached to the coat. There would only be ribbon in the front.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I don't think it's actually under his armpit. With white tie, sashes can be shortened and attached to the coat. There would only be ribbon in the front.
Thanks for this explanation - I always wondered how guys managed this!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The OM is one of those orders that I believe should only be given to a member of the royal family for actual achievement. To be given the OM simply because one is a royal kind of diminishes the order for those who actually have achieved great things in their lifetimes. As one wag famously said "Thats why I like the Garter, there is no damn merit about it".
There are enough honours available for the royal family that do not involve actual achievements.
I agree in principle, NGalitzine, but I think that if we're to accept that it's an Order with a Sovereign at its head, it makes complete sense to have the heir to the throne get membership before they accede to the throne. It ensures that the Order is able to seamlessly stay on track during the inevitable transition from one monarch to another.

I don't see why the OM shouldn't operate like the Garter in that the Sovereign and PoW are automatically members.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I agree in principle, NGalitzine, but I think that if we're to accept that it's an Order with a Sovereign at its head, it makes complete sense to have the heir to the throne get membership before they accede to the throne. It ensures that the Order is able to seamlessly stay on track during the inevitable transition from one monarch to another.

I don't see why the OM shouldn't operate like the Garter in that the Sovereign and PoW are automatically members.
Well the sovereign is head of all honours but it does not necessarily follow that the heir must also have the honours or that there would be some sort of disruption at the time of succession if the heir has not received the honours. Charles for instance does not have the GCMG, the GCVO, the GBE, the CH or the DSO but he will one day be the sovereign of each order. I very much doubt QEII had all of the orders before her succession either but that did not present any problems when she became monarch. Even as sovereign does she ever actually wear the badge of an OM or CH?

The OM, in my mind, is something very special. It is one of those rare honours that even people who might refuse a knighthood will accept because it is a recognition of their exceptional achievement in their careers. Giving it to someone simply because they are royal or even an heir is not enough to justify giving it to them. I don't have a problem with Philip or Charles having it as they have given long service to the nation and to their charities, but the idea of William getting it simply because he might one day be monarch doesn't cut it with me.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think HM will give William the OM either. I do think and this is just a hunch, that William will be appointed to the Order of the Bath during HM's reign.
There is no precedent I'm aware of but since getting the Thistle in May, I believe the Bath will be next.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

The Order of the Bath would be surprising. It hasn't had all that many royal appointments, even back when orders were given out a little more freely. I think there may only be one in the past century who wasn't the Great Master or the former King and Sovereign of the order (Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, whose late husband had been the Great Master).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Picture of HRH The Princess of Wales Wearing Her Grand-cross order of the Order of the Crown (Netherlands):
http://myroyalobsession.tumblr.com/image/39610183770
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Commoner

I can swear I saw the family order of W IV on the royal collection website. Have to keep digging

Family order of King Edward VII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1788818166.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	287720  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Commoner

Also via the Royal Collection, Queen Alexandra had one .wow

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/co...ueen-alexandra
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Commoner

Still looking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-572436462.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	287721   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4125972810.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	287722   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2487215809.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	287723   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-757520015.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	287724  

Name:	image-1922989450.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	287725  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfraley View Post
I can swear I saw the family order of W IV on the royal collection website. Have to keep digging
The order in your picture is that of Edward VII.
In regards to William IV Family Order, I believe no Family Order of the King existed worn as a badge on a ribbon.

On a slightly different note, there is a lovely picture of the very young Princess Victoria wearing a Family Order - that of George IV.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Serene Highness

Who is pictured in the middle RFO? In between the top three and the cameo one. I know, or at least AFAIK, the bottom one is Queen Victoria's. Or so I've been told by a few books out there. Anyway...Anyone know who the middle one belongs to?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Commoner

HM King George IV
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The order in your picture is that of Edward VII.
In regards to William IV Family Order, I believe no Family Order of the King existed worn as a badge on a ribbon.

On a slightly different note, there is a lovely picture of the very young Princess Victoria wearing a Family Order - that of George IV.
Yes I'm aware it's edward vii, that's why I posted it
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
HM King George IV
Thanks for the answer!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Commoner

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-king...kingdom016.htm
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Still looking
Family order of HM Queen Alexandra
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2028442707.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	287730  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Family order of HM Queen Alexandra
I thought only the monarch had a Royal Family Order. Isn't Alexandras "order" something she would have given to her Mistress of Robes and Ladies of the Bedchamber?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I thought only the monarch had a Royal Family Order. Isn't Alexandras "order" something she would have given to her Mistress of Robes and Ladies of the Bedchamber?
Alexandra decided she wanted to have her own order, it is not a Royal one as you say that's only given by Monarchs. Although Victoria and Albert did share one.

The picture carlfraley posted is the version Alexandra would give to friends and family. There was another order given, as you rightly say to Mistress of Robes and Ladies of the Bedchamber, it was a similar but larger version of this Order, in which she was portrayed without her husband. Her successors as Queen Consort followed her example in providing a jewelled cameo portrait hung from a ribbon, to serve as a badge of office for their Mistresses of the Robes.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Alexandra decided she wanted to have her own order, it is not a Royal one as you say that's only given by Monarchs. Although Victoria and Albert did share one.

The picture carlfraley posted is the version Alexandra would give to friends and family. There was another order given, as you rightly say to Mistress of Robes and Ladies of the Bedchamber, it was a similar but larger version of this Order, in which she was portrayed without her husband. Her successors as Queen Consort followed her example in providing a jewelled cameo portrait hung from a ribbon, to serve as a badge of office for their Mistresses of the Robes.
I would love too see Queen Mary's

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order