The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?
I don't believe the Queen is mean at all. This is her personal order that she alone can give without anyone telling her to whom or when. It is her decision. Period. Catherine is now considered a fulltime Royal member of the firm and has recently stepped up and has done her job extremely well. If she received this brilliant order a few years back while people were yelling she was lazy and did nothing but wait to marry William, people would be screaming out of the other side of their mouths that she didn't deserve.

As far as Diana's jewelry, all Diana's personal jewelry were left to her two sons to divide whenever. The Queen only has a say on her personal jewelry and of course the Royal State collections. This honor has absolutely nothing to do with Diana or her jewels.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?
Just to add onto a little bit to Winnie's explanation, the Royal Victorian Order is totally different and separate from the Royal Family Order.

The Royal Victorian Order is given by the Queen at her will and pleasure. It recognises distinguished personal service to the monarch of the Commonwealth realms, members of the monarch's family, or to any viceroy or senior representative of the monarch. Its not a "family" thing.

However, the Royal Family Order is a decoration conferred by the head of a royal family to their female relations. Its a personal memento and not necessarily based on any kind of merit but because the Queen's will and pleasure deems it.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator

This is fantastic news for Catherine.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've just read that Catherines personal assistant, Natasha Archer, was appointed a member of RVO in the Queens New Years Honours. She's the wife of Getty Images photographer Chris Jackson.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
The order has come as a bit of surprise - I was expecting maybe it given at the 10year marriage mark esp considering for the first number of years Kate was not a full working royal and also had 3 pregnancies. Nevertheless it is a great honour for her and will be nice to see the addition of the order at formal events.
Perhaps the Queen wanted to make sure she was able to award Kate ...and realizes due to her age she might not want to wait another 2 years or so.

LaRae
Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I've just read that Catherines personal assistant, Natasha Archer, was appointed a member of RVO in the Queens New Years Honours. She's the wife of Getty Images photographer Chris Jackson.
Yes, she did but Catherine received the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO {GCVO} which is the highest "rank" of the order. One of the spokesmen on the BBC stated that this order is now one step higher than even Prince Harry. Since I actually don't know the pecking order to all these orders and medals I am asking all on here if this is actually true or a bit of fake news to stir the pot between the two families by the media. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Courtier

I feel like Kate has really found her groove in the last six months or so, and I’ve seen commentary along those lines from a number of corners. She’s developed a strong focus on the deep needs of vulnerable children and come into her own in terms of putting those children at the center of her appearances. I like to think the Queen must look for moments like this when she sees a real blossoming of talent as the time to bestow orders, as a way of recognizing those subtle but vital points of growth in her family team.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Yes, she did but Catherine received the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO {GCVO} which is the highest "rank" of the order. One of the spokesmen on the BBC stated that this order is now one step higher than even Prince Harry. Since I actually don't know the pecking order to all these orders and medals I am asking all on here if this is actually true or a bit of fake news to stir the pot between the two families by the media. Thank you in advance.
Both Catherine (2019) and Harry (2015) now received the Victorian Order, however, within that order there is an distinction in rank. Catherine received the highest rank and Harry the second highest rank. William has not (yet?) received this order (which is not surprising as he already has two higher orders (Charles is not a Knight Grand Cross of this specific order either); just like the Countess of Wessex received hers before her husband received his (as Edward was already KG); moreover, the Duke of Edinburgh only received his upon their wedding anniversary in 2017).

5 ranks:
Knight/Dame Grand Cross (GCVO) => Catherine (and most other family members that received the order)
Knight/Dame Commander (KCVO/DCVO) => Harry
Commander (CVO)
Lieutenant (LVO)
Member (MVO)

List of current GCVO's can be found on Wikipedia.

I wonder whether Charles intends to make Harry the Grand Master of the Order of Bath when he ascends the throne (which would most likely be known to the queen). It seems a fitting order for Harry as it is a military order and the position has previously also at times been 'held' by younger sons. However, when it became vacant last time (in 1974) Andrew and Edward were still minors; otherwise Andrew would have been a likely choice imo.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Its pretty common for upper staff of senior royals, when they leave their post, to receive the honor. Michael Peat (private secretary to Charles) and Geidt (secretary to the queen) both received knight grand cross when they left. Natasha received the MVO, the lowest rank but still a honor. Natasha has been with the royal household since 2007.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I wonder whether Charles intends to make Harry the Grand Master of the Order of Bath when he ascends the throne (which would most likely be known to the queen). It seems a fitting order for Harry as it is a military order and the position has previously also at times been 'held' by younger sons. However, when it became vacant last time (in 1974) Andrew and Edward were still minors; otherwise Andrew would have been a likely choice imo.
Likewise I wouldn't be hugely surprised if one of Andrew, Edward, William, or Harry was appointed Grand Master of the Order of the British Empire in succession to the Duke of Edinburgh sometime between now and the next service.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Kate's is the highest level. Harry's is second highest.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Kate's is the highest level. Harry's is second highest.
And that makes sense to me, as Kate will one day be Queen Consort, whereas with time, Harry's proximity to the throne and relative importance will only diminish.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, it is true. Harry is a Knight Commander in the RVO, which is a lower grade than a Knight/Dame Grand Cross.

Visually you can see the difference by the fact that Harry wears the badge of the order on a necklace whereas Kate will wear it attached to a sash .
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Majesty

However Andrew and Edward are both holders of GCVO's (as is Anne) and it's almost certain in my opinion, that Harry as a younger son of the sovereign will end up with the GC too.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
However Andrew and Edward are both holders of GCVO's (as is Anne) and it's almost certain in my opinion, that Harry as a younger son of the sovereign will end up with the GC too.
H may well do in the future, but I think he was given this as he was unlikely to get the Garter for some time.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yes, it is true. Harry is a Knight Commander in the RVO., which is a lower rank than a Knight/Dame Grand Cross.

Visually you can see the difference by the fact that Harry wears the badge of the order on a necklace whereas Kate will wear it attached to a sash .
To tell you the truth, I was surprised Harry got the lower grade of the Victorian Order. With his military service, one would’ve thought he would’ve been awarded with Knight Grand Cross or even with the Garter. Even the royal reporters was expecting this.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure Harry will get the GC at some point. Prince Michael started with the same grade as Harry and was then promoted to GC.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
H may well do in the future, but I think he was given this as he was unlikely to get the Garter for some time.
Andrew and Edward didn’t get the Garter right away either.

Having said that, I think Harry might get it earlier when Charles is King.
Majesty

Most Royals start out with a lower grade and then work themselves up.

The Duke of Edinburgh, The Princess Royal, The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cambridge all received the GCVO right out the gate.
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I'm sure Harry will get the GC at some point. Prince Michael started with the same grade as Harry and was then promoted to GC.
Oh, I know he will. He’s gonna get the Garter too. Investitures will be likely happening leading up to Charles’s future Coronation. Orders are worn during the Coronation.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order