The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the service for the Order is on May 3rd. I wish we could see Catherine, The Queen, and the other Dame Grand Crosses in their mantles.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Aristocracy

After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

This has nothing to do with Diana's (now her son's) jewelry.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?
She only gave it to Philip in 2017 and still hasn't given this award to either Charles or William. It is largely one she gives to minor royals but in 2017 and again now she has decided to give it to a major royal but still not the two most senior after herself - her son and grandson - who obviously haven't done enough 'personal service' to warrant it and it took Philip 70 years as husband and 65 as consort before he was granted it. 8 years seems way too soon to me.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth is not mean, merely fair. This order is bestowed when she considers that the recipient has well and truly earned it and to be honest the younger royal generation were total slackards. While Catherine has done some engagements she really didn't up her game until William became a full-time royal.

https://writeroyalty.com/royal-work-...nnual-edition/

The late Diana's personal jewellery was left to her sons to be shared between their wives. The jewellery that is in the Queen's keeping is hers and she allows items to be worn at her discretion and in accordance with the status of the wearer.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Victorian order is very different then the family order. And yes, 8 years is quick compared to many of the other women married in. Heck, even her own family by blood, took time to get. Andrew and Edward got it in 2011.

-Duchess of Kent- married in 1961 got in 1977-16 years
-Duchess of Gloucester- married in 1972 got in 1989-17 years
-Sophie-married in 1999 got it in 2010-11 years
-Camilla- married 2005 got it in 2012- 7 years
-Tim- married in 1992 got it in 2011- 19 years

Neither Diana or Sarah ever received the order.

And I don't know what the RVO would have to do with Diana and her jewels being seen or not. Diana didn't have the RVO, and even if she did, its not a piece of jewelry someone would just wear. Its not like it would be left to her sons and one of her daughter in laws would wear it to dinner like her earrings.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I want to continue to express my happiness for Catherine on receiving the appointment to The Royal Victorian Order, but I just don’t know what to say.

What an honor, what an achievement.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-30-2019, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This news does deserve a big word to describe it and I've not used it in a while here. Its supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!! Now will someone please give Dman a hot cup of chamomile tea to bring him back down to earth please?

I think most of us that have followed this thread for a while pretty much know that the Queen does hold Kate in high regards. Actually, I think right now, the Queen is quite happy and content with *all* of her family members and with the way the monarchy is going.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge’s coat of arms now includes the circlet as a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

https://twitter.com/Isaguor/status/1...381962241?s=20
Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She only gave it to Philip in 2017 and still hasn't given this award to either Charles or William. It is largely one she gives to minor royals but in 2017 and again now she has decided to give it to a major royal but still not the two most senior after herself - her son and grandson - who obviously haven't done enough 'personal service' to warrant it and it took Philip 70 years as husband and 65 as consort before he was granted it. 8 years seems way too soon to me.
I think it's difficult to compare with Philip, Charles and William. They all got the higher and highest order at the very beginning, which RVO (or other lower order) is not really that necessary for them. Especially for Philip, it's more like she was honoring her husband's contribution by completing his collection of orders, kind of like a retirement gift if you ask me.

Eight years is quite understandable and reasonable if comparing to other royal spouses.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There is a service for the order this Friday 3rd May, where we should expect to see Catherine.
Apparently, the service for the Royal Victorian Order is private. This would mean that we won’t see any photos of Catherine on Friday. Can anyone find photos from previous services?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Apparently, the service for the Royal Victorian Order is private. This would mean that we won’t see any photos of Catherine on Friday. Can anyone find photos from previous services?
Sadly, the service at St. George’s is private. We don’t get a chance to see The Queen and the members of the Order in their mantles, collar, sash and badges. It don’t hurt to hope we get a picture of the reception.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Sadly, the service at St. George’s is private. We don’t get a chance to see The Queen and the members of the Order in their mantles, collar, sash and badges. It don’t hurt to hope we get a picture of the reception.

Here's a photo of the robes of the order pity we won't see any photos of the duchess in her robes.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...CVO_mantle.jpg

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 05-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Here's a photo of the robes of the order pity we won't see any photos of the duchess in her robes.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...CVO_mantle.jpg
I know. It would be fantastic to be able to see Catherine in her insignia and vestment as Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order. There’s a procession and everything.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know. It would be fantastic to be able to see Catherine in her insignia and vestment as Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order. There’s a procession and everything.
Even a photo of two would keep us all content,I wonder if the duchess will wear white gloves?

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Even a photo of two would keep us all content,I wonder if the duchess will wear white gloves?
A picture would be great. I’ve tried to find a picture of any of the royals at this service in the past and I can’t find anything. There’s a small and grainy picture of William posing in his Garter robes in 2008, but it was never officially released. I guess the only time we’ll get to see Catherine in her Victorian Order is at the upcoming US State Visit, fall State Visit and Diplomatic Corps Reception.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

The service for the RVO is only held every 4 years at St. George's Chapel and robes are not worn. I saw a picture years ago of Anne and the DOG leaving the chapel afterwards and they were just wearing suits and hats with their RVO stars on their coats. I don't know why they don't wear the robes as they are lovely.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
The service for the RVO is only held every 4 years at St. George's Chapel and robes are not worn. I saw a picture years ago of Anne and the DOG leaving the chapel afterwards and they were just wearing suits and hats with their RVO stars on their coats. I don't know why they don't wear the robes as they are lovely.
Perhaps they wear the robes when they’re investing new members.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The mantle of the Royal Victorian Order is rarely used at all. I'm not sure it's ever worn other than at coronations. The order didn't even start holding regular services until the 1970s.

Edit: Hugo Vickers mentioned in his book Royal Orders that the knights and dames grand cross were robed at the first two services, but doesn't give any other details, other than to say that the Queen wore day clothes with no insignia at all. The Queen Mother (the grand master of the order) wore the Royal Victorian Chain on her coat, which I take to mean that she was also not robed.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The order has come as a bit of surprise - I was expecting maybe it given at the 10year marriage mark esp considering for the first number of years Kate was not a full working royal and also had 3 pregnancies. Nevertheless it is a great honour for her and will be nice to see the addition of the order at formal events.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order