The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Courtier

Just surprised that no one is wondering when Charlotte will get hers :)

Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Who knows, she may already have one

Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its also very possible that when Kate's was made out of glass, there was more than just one made and Meghan's RFO is waiting in the wings for her. We will never know just when Meghan receives it and most likely will be first seen when Meghan attends a white tie banquet to display it.

I do believe that if there had never been the issue of the ivory, Kate would have been wearing one a long time ago and it was the Queen's loan of her personal wedding bracelet that served as a public symbol of Kate's acceptance in the family (which the RFO does).

Should we see Meghan with her RFO in December at the Diplomatic Corps reception, it will not in any way disparage Kate but show that the RFO from the Queen recognizes William's campaign against the illegal poaching and use of ivory in today's world.

I do think we'll see Meghan with The Queen's RFO as she is splendidly representing HM beautifully since her marriage. I also predict that Charles' RFO will have a green ribbon.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Apparently, yes...I think with the DoCambridge wearing hers, people are missing the long winded discussion about hers and have moved on to the next candidate

I do wonder why Princess Michael never got one (assuming she'd wear it if she had), but i don't think she will anymore

Imo QEII treats most royal activities very businesslike, so my guess there is some thought behind who gets it, but we aren't likely to find out soon what

(i do agree with previous posts who noticed that she used to give it quite soon, but changed in the 80's; imo the divorces of her various children she considered as a disappointment to the Firm)

I think Princess Michael never received it for the simple reason that she’s never been a working royal. I think had she married into the family well before Diana entered the scene, she probably would have gotten it eventually (perhaps as a 10 year anniversary gift or the like), because it seems like pre-Diana the Queen was freer with orders, but as she’s taken the attitude of “work for the family for a few years then get the orders” since Diana, Princess Michael never got it.

I don’t think the ivory is what prevented Kate from getting the RFO sooner. Glass wasn’t invented in the last year, they could have made her a glass RFO at any point in her marriage. Instead, I think they were waiting for her (and William) to become more full time. I might be wrong (and Bertie can correct me if I am), but I believe we saw an increase in the work that the Cambridge’s were doing in the years since Charlotte’s birth - tampered a bit with Kate’s recent pregnancy and Louis’ birth, but still an increase and an overall push to them being full time royals. I think that is what caused Kate to get the order last year.

I do think that the circumstances are different enough that Meghan is likely to get hers faster than Kate did - simply because when William and Kate married, they were much younger and weren’t full time royals as he was still working for SAR. Harry is already full time, and so Meghan seems to be more on a fast track path to full time working royal than Kate was (not intended as a criticism of either woman or their husbands).
Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

If Meghan isn't a fulltime royals yet, what is her parttime sidekick?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If Meghan isn't a fulltime royals yet, what is her parttime sidekick?
I don't think anyone is saying she's not. At least not what I've read.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are “full-time” senior royals. So I expect Meghan will get her family Order sooner.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

All indications are they are (The Sussexes) full time working royals ....she will take time off to have the baby, figure we won't see much of them next summer but that is a normal thing anyway for the Royals.

I think it will be 2 to 5 years before she gets an order.

LaRae
Old 10-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
We don't know that!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying she's not. At least not what I've read.
The post I responded to stated that she was on a fast track path to full time royal, which to me suggested that the poster thought she wasn't yet but it might indeed just be unprecise wording.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The post I responded to stated that she was on a fast track path to full time royal, which to me suggested that the poster thought she wasn't yet but it might indeed just be unprecise wording.

Not unprecise wording at all.

Meghan wasn’t a Royal at all prior to May. Prior to May - I would say even throughout the summer - there was a lot of speculation about whether or not Meghan would hit the ground running and quickly become a full time working royal, or if she would be eased into it. If you look at what happened with Kate, with Camilla, with Sophie, and certainly with William and Harry, they were all given the opportunity to ease into it at a slower pace. It was expected Meghan would be given a similar opportunity despite her husband himself being full time (this is most comparable to Camilla, who even now does half the engagements her husband does, although many factors contribute to that).

Instead, we’ve seen her fast track into being a full time royal right away. Pre-tour, we saw her sitting at 40 engagements since May, per Bertie’s numbers, which is fairly reasonable given the summer break and her late start (in comparison, Kate was sitting at 57 despite her mat leave, and Harry and William were at 111 and 189, respectively). The tour has almost doubled Meghan’s numbers.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Exactly. Duchess Meghan I think has brought increased positive interest to the royals from around the world, revenue to Great Britain's economy, and general goodwill toward the monarchy throughout the Commonwealth. Because many people are interested in Meghan, we are learning more about what all of the royals are doing. Plus I think Meghan is a wonderful role model for everyone, including some members of the royal family. In addition, she's been learning and working hard from Day 1 to support and encourage Prince Harry and to do all she can for humanitarian efforts, which has already had an impact on a number of charities. All of this makes an important difference to the Queen and the British monarchy. Above all, Meghan has made Prince Harry supremely happy, which means a lot to his family.

Ah thanks, I see. No doubt then, the Queen will probably wish to extend the RFO to Meghan sometime soon because time is never promised. I do think the Queen is in good health, so maybe within the next two years or so, Meghan will receive the RFO from the Queen.

Here we are, again! People still, after having made it clear here in the past week, think the RFO is about merits...
Well, I could name you 100 examples from the past 25 years or so that showed this particular order is not about that at all.
Catherine also was said 7 years ago to have boosted the monarchy and "brought increased positive interest to the royals from around the world". And she and William made similar successful Commonwealth trips with the princely couple received enthusiastically by thousends like the one we witness today! But we live in a fast living world and we quickly seem to forget since there comes a new sensation our ways...

So, I don´t think Meghan will receive the RFO any faster unless the Queen feels she should have it before she dies ( well, HM could still be around the next 8 or 10 years! Just think of the Q Mother!). I rather believe, though, that the Queen is not thinking about the RFO, like some of us may do, all the time and just let things happen as they happen and the Dss of Sussex might or might not receive this order of Elizabeth II one day or not. She surely will have the one of King Charles III.!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Here we are, again! People still, after having made it clear here in the past week, think the RFO is about merits...
Well, I could name you 100 examples from the past 25 years or so that showed this particular order is not about that at all.
Catherine also was said 7 years ago to have boosted the monarchy and "brought increased positive interest to the royals from around the world". And she and William made similar successful Commonwealth trips with the princely couple received enthusiastically by thousends like the one we witness today! But we live in a fast living world and we quickly seem to forget since there comes a new sensation our ways...

So, I don´t think Meghan will receive the RFO any faster unless the Queen feels she should have it before she dies ( well, HM could still be around the next 8 or 10 years! Just think of the Q Mother!). I rather believe, though, that the Queen is not thinking about the RFO, like some of us may do, all the time and just let things happen as they happen and the Dss of Sussex might or might not receive this order of Elizabeth II one day or not. She surely will have the one of King Charles III.!
I don't think anyone is saying about just simply attention they bring to BRF, but also the amount of work the royal takes on. Meghan is moving a lot faster than Kate did.

And like I said earlier, I doubt the Queen will dish out RFOs just because she fears she might not live that much longer. The same thing can be said for someone who is 85. Yet she waited 7 years. Clearly, that's not going into her thinking much.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Not unprecise wording at all.

Meghan wasn’t a Royal at all prior to May. Prior to May - I would say even throughout the summer - there was a lot of speculation about whether or not Meghan would hit the ground running and quickly become a full time working royal, or if she would be eased into it. If you look at what happened with Kate, with Camilla, with Sophie, and certainly with William and Harry, they were all given the opportunity to ease into it at a slower pace. It was expected Meghan would be given a similar opportunity despite her husband himself being full time (this is most comparable to Camilla, who even now does half the engagements her husband does, although many factors contribute to that).

Instead, we’ve seen her fast track into being a full time royal right away. Pre-tour, we saw her sitting at 40 engagements since May, per Bertie’s numbers, which is fairly reasonable given the summer break and her late start (in comparison, Kate was sitting at 57 despite her mat leave, and Harry and William were at 111 and 189, respectively). The tour has almost doubled Meghan’s numbers.
So, you agree that she already IS a full time royal or do you think that she still is on a fast track/path TO BECOMING a full time royal? It seems we are trying to say the same but I am still not completely sure.

(FYI: I think she has been a full time royal from the start of her marriage; and even a full time semi-royal from the engagement)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread isn’t about comparing Kate and Meghan. Nor is it about Meghan’s status and whether she is being fast tracked. If you wish to discuss the number of engagements various royals do, please take it to the British Royal Family Engagements thread.

Since we have no indication that RFO’s are given because of workload, let’s steer clear of comparing the engagement count of royals. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe the Queen will decide to give Meghan the RFO solely because she passed the acceptance test by the Queen's dogs right off the bat. Dog people tend to stick together.

Sorry.... hadda do it.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe the Queen will decide to give Meghan the RFO solely because she passed the acceptance test by the Queen's dogs right off the bat. Dog people tend to stick together.

Sorry.... hadda do it.
The Corgi test! Of course!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Queen Victoria give the Royal Family Order to granddaughters who were not part of the British Royal Family? For example, did she give a Royal Family Order to Princess Charlotte of Prussia?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Did Queen Victoria give the Royal Family Order to granddaughters who were not part of the British Royal Family? For example, did she give a Royal Family Order to Princess Charlotte of Prussia?
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...ria_and_Albert
Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Yes, Queen Victoria gave her royal order, specifically the second class, to many of her foreign granddaughters. A few of them are Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia, Princess Charlotte, The Hereditary Princess of Saxe-Meinigen, Princess Henry of Prussia and Princess Adolphe of Schaumburg-Lippe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pl...uchess&f=false

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order