The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Courtier

The DM article was virtually dismissive of the order and the country that's awarding it. The comments were none too kind to the recipient. But it still strikes me that Kate does not have the RFO after six years with the Firm and producing soon to be three successors to the throne, one a future king. I heard the ivory defense and that Kate may already have it and not wearing it, but I think the media would have announced it. Notice the DM stated the Tuvalu order is her first order. Even though Kate would have something to show at the next Diplomatic Reception, I still think the group picture will be embarrassing. By this time Kate should have the RFO and other orders.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Not to restart this debate. A RFO is never announced as being given. The press only knows when itís worn. Thus the ivory dilemma comes in because of Williamís position on ivory. Kate could have the order and is not wearing it with the blessing from the Queen because of the ivory or she could just not have it. We donít know.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As it is a medal, I seriously doubt we'd see Kate wearing the Tuvalu order at the Diplomatic reception. One thing about the RFO is that it is never announced to the public when someone receives it. Its a within the family sort of thing so the Daily Mail has no more clue about whether Kate has the RFO than we do. Its still a mystery and to be honest, I don't see them making any kind of announcement about if Kate has it or she doesn't and any reasons why she'd not be wearing it.

Time will tell. Maybe.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-06-2017, 02:59 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The picture in the DM article actually looks like it could be a neck order, in which case she'd probably wear it on a bow, like the royal family orders are worn. (But I still doubt we'll ever see it on her, at least until the next time she visits Tuvalu, regardless of her RFO situation.)

I think what I saw before was a separate medal affiliated with the order, similar to the British Empire and Royal Victorian medals.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

With The Queen knighting Prince Philip with the Kight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, he now has four UK Order of Chivalry Breast stars. Last member of the family to have four breast stars was the late Earl Mountbatten-
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisship...52922034409477

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Majesty

When Phillips passes do his order pass to anyone? Not for them to wear but as a keepsake?

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Normally Royal Orders are 'retired' when the recipient passes but if Philip predeceases the Queen I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps his Stars etc with her for a while, as a keepsake.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Majesty

Thanks Curryong!

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Well I wasn't sure if they buried them with the person but I now remember reading something here about them being recycled.

Thanks!

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well I wasn't sure if they buried them with the person but I now remember reading something here about them being recycled.

Thanks!

LaRae
They are recycled for future use. They are very expensive to make. Even the orders collars are recycled from many decades and centuries ago.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The expensive ones like the Garter, etc are returned to the palace and then reissued. Something like a MBE would be kept by the personís family. There was a story in the paper about the Duchess of Westminster and her children visiting the Queen at BP to return the late Dukeís Garter regalia.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The expensive ones like the Garter, etc are returned to the palace and then reissued. Something like a MBE would be kept by the person’s family. There was a story in the paper about the Duchess of Westminster and her children visiting the Queen at BP to return the late Duke’s Garter regalia.
Yes, the major knighthood orders are returned upon the recipients death. I think President Reagan’s Order of the Bath was kept after his passing and is displayed at his library in California. Unless it was returned later on.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
They are recycled for future use. They are very expensive to make. Even the orders collars are recycled from many decades and centuries ago.
I think except for the Garter and Thistle (for which everything goes back), the only insignia that has to be returned is the collar of a knight or dame grand cross. I'm pretty sure that the badges and stars of the more junior orders can be kept by the family.

I can't find the statutes of the other orders, but in the Royal Victorian Order, collars are only even issued to knights/dames grand cross who don't have any other collars.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Courtier

I never knew they were returned.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Confirmation from last night : still no RFO for Catherine.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...2517552239.jpg
Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Nobility

I don't feel surprised. Somehow I still assume that the Queen won't give RFO to the 3rd generation.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Confirmation from last night : still no RFO for Catherine.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...2517552239.jpg
You still can’t tell because the order would be pinned to her left shoulder and you can’t see her left shoulder in the picture, Nico. It’s completely blocked out by the car. So no confirmation!

If she don’t have it...it’s a total damn shame, IMO. To leave Catherine without her family order is the dumbest thing ever.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I think it depends on who the receiver was. I was in the Museum of the Chancellery of the Netherlands Orders and saw displays with hundreds of Orders once worn by Orange-Nassaus, so apparently not returned:

Picture 1

Picture 2
Old 12-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You still canít tell because the order would be pinned to her left shoulder and you canít see her left shoulder in the picture, Nico. Itís completely blocked out by the car. So no confirmation!

If she donít have it...itís a total damn shame, IMO. To leave Catherine without her family order is the dumbest thing ever.
I accept that Catherine's left shoulder is not fully visible, so it is unclear if she has the RFO.

I suspect now tgat she has gone full time, she may now get the RFO in the next year of two.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

It may well be that Charles lll wishes to award the RFO to his Daughters-in-Law and possibly his Nieces ? Nothing so terribly shocking about that imo...

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order