The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Diana never had a BRF family order? I could have sworn she got one after William was born.
You are correct, she received an Order from HM shortly after the birth of Prince William.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

I thought only countries with monarchies gave out orders. What was Diana's Egyptian order for?

Old 10-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I always kinda cringe when I see the BRF around other royals, because it is so awkward. All the other European royals seem so close, but the BRF just don't. Not sure why.

I find it odd Catherine doesn't have an order and I wonder why. I have my theories, but I won't share.

I wonder if Harry will get an order from Denmark when he visits. What order could he get?

Kate did quite well with HGD Stephanie earlier this year ...so I think they all rub along well enough but since the war things changed so much...and that includes the relationships between the monarchies.

LaRae
Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.

I don't know...no one has yet to figure it out..all we can do is offer theories!

LaRae
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I thought only countries with monarchies gave out orders. What was Diana's Egyptian order for?
I think it was the President of Egypt made a State Visit to the UK and awarded Diana with the Order of the Virtues. The Queen is also a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't know...no one has yet to figure it out..all we can do is offer theories!

LaRae
I know and it’s extremely frustrating and nerve wrecking.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.
I have said the same thing, it upsets me that Catherine is being slighted regarding this FO issue. The darn thing doesn't need to be in ivory. Take a picture and slap it on a silver or gold badge, superglue a couple of diamonds and tie a ribbon on it.

I wish that they would simply issue a statement that the Queen isn't issuing further FO to her grandchildren's generation. I keep thinking that this is some how a result of the "slimline" royal fam.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I don’t look at as being slighted. I’m in the camp that thinks she has it and doesn’t wear but just say she doesn’t have it. She will eventually. We don’t say the Queen is slighting Harry by not giving him the Garter.

We all have our opinions on it and everyone knows mine but we know it takes a relatively long time to accumulate orders in the BRF.

One day Catherine will show up with the RVO over her shoulder and we’ll all be happy. At least I will be
Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don’t look at as being slighted. I’m in the camp that thinks she has it and doesn’t wear but just say she doesn’t have it. She will eventually. We don’t say the Queen is slighting Harry by not giving him the Garter.

We all have our opinions on it and everyone knows mine but we know it takes a relatively long time to accumulate orders in the BRF.

One day Catherine will show up with the RVO over her shoulder and we’ll all be happy. At least I will be
That should be this year at the Diplomatic Corps Reception in December. I mean it’s just long overdue.

The family order isn’t a knighthood though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

If Kate had that order, she'd wear it. I don't think she has it.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I always kinda cringe when I see the BRF around other royals, because it is so awkward. All the other European royals seem so close, but the BRF just don't. Not sure why.

I find it odd Catherine doesn't have an order and I wonder why. I have my theories, but I won't share.

I wonder if Harry will get an order from Denmark when he visits. What order could he get?
I don't see why he would get an order for just visiting Denmark. These are typically handed out at state visits (with only very few exceptions); and Harry will never bring a state visit, so any foreign orders he gets will depend on him participating in incoming state visits (as I don't expect him to join either his father or his brother at outgoing state visits in the future).

Quote:

Whom are you thinking about? Edward and Sophie seem very friendly with them and will know them rather well given how many times they've met. William and Catherine have been getting to know some of their continental colleagues a little over the last few years. The others not so much but that's mainly because of the queen's policy in all of this.

However, again, we are going off-topic
Old 10-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Aristocracy

Why wouldn't Harry participate in outgoing State visits?

Also, what do you mean the Queen's policy?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Why wouldn't Harry participate in outgoing State visits?

Also, what do you mean the Queen's policy?
The question is more why would Harry participate in outgoing state visits? In almost all cases it is a visit of the sovereign and his/her spouse; if someone would be added to the party, it would be the heir and his/her spouse. As Harry is neither of those, there is no reason to assume he would join a state visit.

The British are invited to all kinds of European royal events and the queen has sent Edward and Sophie (instead of Charles and Camilla - which would be more in line with the other royal houses); that's the policy I am referring to.

I created a topic about the relationship between the BRF and other European royals, so let's move our discussion about that topic to this new thread.

Quote:
Many republics also have orders to honor special contributions - for the government/president to hand out (or at least in their name).
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

Does that mean that Harry and Meghan will never go to State dinners?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No..in fact I'm quite sure they will go to all of them unless they have a conflicting schedule.

LaRae
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, because they most likely will attend state banquets at incoming state visits - not necessarily all of them, as the Spanish one was Harry's first if I am not mistaken, but it will increase.

Just be prepared they there won't always be pictures as many royals attend and most of the times we only see a few of them (queen, duke of Edinburgh, prince of Wales, duchess of Cornwall - and the duke and duchess of Cambridge if they attend) on the official pictures (not the queen's other children or cousins).
Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Nobility

I still don't understand why Kate doesn't have a family order. She's a future queen, been in the BRF for six years and given birth to a future King, a blood princess and another on the way. It may be from the alleged "Duchess of Do Little" knock from the queen; that Kate doesn't pull her weight in royal work. If Meghan joins the Firm and she earns the RFO before Kate, cue the hue and cry.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

I am in the camp that thinks she absolutely, definitely, doesn't have the RFO, because if she had it it would be a direct slap in the face to HM for her not to wear it at State Banquets. Ill-mannered wouldn't begin to describe it. As to the Ivory situation, there is no virtue in down the order on that count. It is very old ivory and manners dictate that if she had it she'd wear it. At least until HM passed away.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am in the camp that thinks she absolutely, definitely, doesn't have the RFO, because if she had it it would be a direct slap in the face to HM for her not to wear it at State Banquets. Ill-mannered wouldn't begin to describe it. As to the Ivory situation, there is no virtue in down the order on that count. It is very old ivory and manners dictate that if she had it she'd wear it. At least until HM passed away.
It’s just puzzling and I get the feeling Catherine show up to the Diplomatic Corps Reception again this year without it. Something that make you want to scream!

Catherine, Camilla, Sophie, Anne, Birgitte, and Katherine should be up to receiving their second family orders on Charles’s succession.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Aristocracy

I think Kate doesn't have an order because she doesn't pull the workload she should.

RE the ivory thingy, it is not politically correct to wear ivory these days and for good reason. Plus William is anti Ivory due to Tusk Trust.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think Kate doesn't have an order because she doesn't pull the workload she should.
Getting the family order isn’t about the amount of work one do. It’s an honor given to senior female members of the royal family. It’s worn on formal occasions.

Catherine should’ve already have it.

The Queen received her grandfather’s family order (George V) in 1935 at the age of 9. What work did she do at the time? Other than sit on her “Grandpa England’s” knee.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order