The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I thought there was a chance for William to receive one but at the very, very least Camilla should have received an order. She’s the wife of the Prince of Wales for God’s sake and yet Andrew gets a gong?

And given the pace at which these visits occur, Camilla may never receive an order from Spain. It looks very unprofessional and minor league.
It is very odd that Camilla did not receive an order, as the wife of the heir. I would have wondered if the Spanish were trying a new way of giving orders ala Belgium or Sweden, but since they gave Harry an order, I just don't get it. I get why the British are stingy, it's just the way they are, but even Prince Lorenz has a Spanish order.

Somebody in Spain dropped the ball BIG TIME.

I think it is possible that when Charles becomes King, he may visit Spain and perhaps then Camilla will finally get a Spanish Order, but who knows what the future holds.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I thought there was a chance for William to receive one but at the very, very least Camilla should have received an order. She’s the wife of the Prince of Wales for God’s sake and yet Andrew gets a gong?

And given the pace at which these visits occur, Camilla may never receive an order from Spain. It looks very unprofessional and minor league.

Well, the British didn’t give a queen consort making a State Visit to the UK any orders. And I think this is very unprofessional and minor league. However, it’s always excused by Brits being Brits. I guess the Spanish have a right to be Spanish then as well.

And I agree, Camilla should have received an order. At least a minor one, if they plan to give her a higher one when she’s queen.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Aristocracy

Dare I say it also looks petty and like someone is settling scores, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about the settling scores thing...it's more about people dropping the ball I think.

LaRae
Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

The senior royals should received Spanish Orders during the State Visit. William, Catherine, and Camilla. For some odd reason, they were all skipped.

As I said before, when it comes to the British royals and orders, you’ll end up getting a massive headache trying to figure it all out.

I think the family knighthood system needs to be looked at in the next reign.

Look at Catherine; been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years and she’s yet to even receive the family order. I mean that’s sad and silly at the same time.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
It is very odd that Camilla did not receive an order, as the wife of the heir. I would have wondered if the Spanish were trying a new way of giving orders ala Belgium or Sweden, but since they gave Harry an order, I just don't get it. I get why the British are stingy, it's just the way they are, but even Prince Lorenz has a Spanish order.

Somebody in Spain dropped the ball BIG TIME.

I think it is possible that when Charles becomes King, he may visit Spain and perhaps then Camilla will finally get a Spanish Order, but who knows what the future holds.
I think that there was some Buckingham Palace input on the Spanish orders. The detailed planning of such visits would be no surprise to our regular posters here.

I think that Harry, Anne and Andrew were given their specific parts to play in the visit with the knowledge that there would probably be orders given.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Look at Catherine; been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years and she’s yet to even receive the family order. I mean that’s sad and silly at the same time.
Or she's rec'd them but isn't wearing them.

LaRae
Old 10-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Or she's rec'd them but isn't wearing them.

LaRae
I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I think that there was some Buckingham Palace input on the Spanish orders. The detailed planning of such visits would be no surprise to our regular posters here.

I think that Harry, Anne and Andrew were given their specific parts to play in the visit with the knowledge that there would probably be orders given.

That Spanish visit got moved around so much. It quite possibly that different people were initially scheduled to participate when it was scheduled for earlier in the year and then the election caused it to get pushed back. The Cambridges both had other events on the day after the State Dinner when the events with Andrew, Anne and Harry happened. It could have been different people if the initial 2017 dates stayed the same.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don’t think Catherine would graciously accept the family order from The Queen and not wear it. Again, if the order being made with ivory is the issue, you’d think William and The Queen would change the portrait setting so Catherine can proudly wear her family order at State Banquets, Diplomatic Corps Reception and other events.

Clearly, someone in the family aren’t using their brains and leaving this child without the family order. This wouldn’t be the case in the Danish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, and Norwegian royal families.
The Norwegian RF also doesn't hand out their order to all 'married-in' family members... Ari Behn for example never received a Norwegian order. That is why he wore his Dutch order to the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling.

The only order Iñaki had was based on his success in sports. I don't think Jaime Marichalar ever received an order.

The Dutch do hand out the family order (Laurentien has it) but Pieter only got the (higher) Order of the Dutch Lion on his 65th birthday after decades of service to the queen(s).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
That Spanish visit got moved around so much. It quite possibly that different people were initially scheduled to participate when it was scheduled for earlier in the year and then the election caused it to get pushed back. The Cambridges both had other events on the day after the State Dinner when the events with Andrew, Anne and Harry happened. It could have been different people if the initial 2017 dates stayed the same.
However, the notion of awarding some people an order on the basis of an activity that might take an hour or so (and others, Camilla(!), not) instead of based on seniority is what is most awkward.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Norwegian RF also doesn't hand out their order to all 'married-in' family members... Ari Behn for example never received a Norwegian order. That is why he wore his Dutch order to the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling.

The only order Iñaki had was based on his success in sports. I don't think Jaime Marichalar ever received an order.

The Dutch do hand out the family order (Laurentien has it) but Pieter only got the (higher) Order of the Dutch Lion on his 65th birthday after decades of service to the queen(s).
Catherine is the wife of the Duke of Cambridge, Second in line to the throne, been a working senior royal for nearly 7 years. She should’ve been had the family order by this time.

It was a shock that Camilla, William and Catherine were passed up on then Spanish order, but perhaps they will get orders during another royal State Visit in the future.

Lord knows, the British royals don’t host incoming foreign royal State Visits often like they used to.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

If it was announced beforehand that three British royals would be receiving orders, how many people had said Anne, Andrew and Harry?

Spain can do as it likes but to pass over three higher ranked royals looks odd.

Al least we knew only to expect the Garter for Felipe. There no surprises there.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

I always kinda cringe when I see the BRF around other royals, because it is so awkward. All the other European royals seem so close, but the BRF just don't. Not sure why.

I find it odd Catherine doesn't have an order and I wonder why. I have my theories, but I won't share.

I wonder if Harry will get an order from Denmark when he visits. What order could he get?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Majesty

I kind of agree. But only when they are in a group together. In one-on-one situations they seem quite okay and even friendly and relaxed.

At least the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and the POW do. The others not so much.

Charles has very elegant, gracious manners when greeting foreign Royals. I love to watch him with female Royalty in particular!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

It's the younger generation of the BRF who lack manners when with other royalty. Does Charles have Spanish Orders? Did Diana?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles has an order from almost every country including Spain. Diana had one order and it was from Queen Beatrix
Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Wow..I was somehow under the impression that the late PoW had been loaded with Orders!?

I got it wrong.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

Diana never had a BRF family order? I could have sworn she got one after William was born.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles has an order from almost every country including Spain. Diana had one order and it was from Queen Beatrix
Diana had two foreign orders Dutch and Egyptian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Diana never had a BRF family order? I could have sworn she got one after William was born.
Yes, Diana had the family order. She just never received any other order from the Queen.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order