The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

They appear to have used the same profile portait of the Queen as is used on Australian and British coinage which boasts the best likeness in both age and appearance.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Governor General of Canada > Diamond Jubilee Medal

This is the Canadian Diamond Jubilee Medal.
60,000 will be awarded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Jubilee medal Canada 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	284968  
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quite a handsome medal.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Queen's advisers tell her to drop 'empire' from honours as it's 'inappropriate' in post-imperial Britain
Quote:
The word 'empire' should be removed from honours such as the MBE and OBE because it is 'inappropriate', the Queen's advisers have recommended. The Queen's lords lieutenant, who advise the monarch on who should receive honours, have called for an end to its use because of its links to British colonial history and class.
I suppose it's up to British members to give opinion on this issue, but I believe this is a truly hideous idea. Hopefully, Her Majesty feels the same way.
Sometimes I feel like Britain is almost deliberately trying to destroy the great legacy it has accumulated over the centuries.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately, Artemisia, there is a large chunk of people in this country (mainly on the left) who believe that our historic legacy is something we must be forever ashamed of. As far as they're concerned there is nothing to be proud of.

This is just silly political correctness. Everyone knows we don't have an Empire anymore; everyone knows the very chequered history of our Empire. But, this is just not necessary. It's fiddling with something that works well. People refuse MBEs and Knighthoods for lots of different reasons. But many, many more people are proud to receive them and I would simply leave things as they are. When something's not broken, there's no point in expending lots of time and energy fixing it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
This is just silly political correctness. Everyone knows we don't have an Empire anymore; everyone knows the very chequered history of our Empire. But, this is just not necessary. It's fiddling with something that works well. People refuse MBEs and Knighthoods for lots of different reasons. But many, many more people are proud to receive them and I would simply leave things as they are. When something's not broken, there's no point in expending lots of time and energy fixing it.
Like all Empires, the British one had its high and low points, granted. But aren't you (British people, or rather, politicians) tired of constantly apologising? After all the British Empire WAS a great one.
- It was the single largest Empire in the history of humanity.
- It's influence on the development of the mankind is virtually unparalleled (with the possible exceptions of the Greek and Roman Empires).
- It was one of the first countries to abolish slavery on its territories.
- It basically gave the world the law system: Magna Carta, Bill of Rights, and Habeas Corpus Act are quite possibly some of the most important documents in history.
- The very basis of the modern world was laid during the times of the Empire.
- Not to mention the greatest legacy of them all - the language. The very fact that we all speak English in this forum speaks volumes.

Yes, a lot of bad things happened and they should be remembered. But forgetting all the good, great things the Empire achieved? That's not only sad: that's almost a crime. And the impression I often get is that it's a taboo to talk about the Empire in positive light; just constantly apologise for the mistakes, and sometimes - even achievements.

My apologies for this rant; I didn't intend to sound quite so passionate.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with everything you say, Artemisia. (You may have read it, but Niall Ferguson's book Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World, is a really balanced and interesting take on the British Empire and I strongly recommend it).

For those on the left of the political spectrum Britain can never make amends for its mistakes. If we started a policy of national self-flagellation over the sins of our ancestors it still wouldn't be enough for these people. They actually hate Britain, even though they're British themselves.

The archetypal example of this is one Andrew Hawkins. One of his ancestors was a slave trader, so Mr Hawkins decided that that meant he had to kneel in chains in front of a crowd of Africans while telling them all how sorry he is (and wearing a tshirt that said 'I'm so sorry'). Even though the actions of his ancestor were not his and none of the people concerned are alive today, he felt the need to prostrate himself because of it. He's the kind of chap who would get very wound up over use of the word 'Empire'.

Kneeling in chains, the dramatic apology from slave trader descendant | Mail Online

On a different note, I don't think most people who get an MBE/OBE/CBE even know what those letters stand for.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
On a different note, I don't think most people who get an MBE/OBE/CBE even know what those letters stand for.
I disagree, the majority of people who receive those awards are everyday people who have done extraordinary things. They are proud to receive the award and certainly know what it means. Even the celebrities who have received one, know what it means. The award is respected by the people who receive it, just not by the government who want to make everything equal in the world so they don't offend people.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

What I mean is, I don't think there's a massive degree of public awareness that the 'E' in MBE stands for Empire.

Living in Northern Ireland, it has always amazed me just how comfortable those in the Nationalist/Republican community here are to accept these decorations. Obviously some wouldn't accept them for political reasons, but if people from that community can happily accept an MBE, anyone can.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
What I mean is, I don't think there's a massive degree of public awareness that the 'E' in MBE stands for Empire.

Living in Northern Ireland, it has always amazed me just how comfortable those in the Nationalist/Republican community here are to accept these decorations. Obviously some wouldn't accept them for political reasons, but if people from that community can happily accept an MBE, anyone can.
Well, what else could it stand for?
The people who receive the award understand the meaning, they don't complain, that's the important part.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

It could stand for Elizabeth, or excellence or effort. I don't think many people dwell on it much.

To me it's another example of people going out of their way to be offended.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Feigning offence is just another tactic to claim the moral high ground. It's usually raised by those not directly affected or offended themselves but by those claiming offence or "possible offence" for an unrelated third party.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

This came up in another forum and it's probably better placed here.
Re: the Royal Family Order of the UK. It began in the early 1800's. For most monarchs it has been awarded to a handful to two dozen close female relations. We don't know for sure - because it is a private award and many people who might have received it may not have had occasion to wear it.

Is it likely Charles will continue the tradition when he ascends to to the crown? If so - when might he initiate the practice - in the first year of reign, later? I know it is privately given, but what seems to be the practice and will it continue. Will it continue as a painted piece or revert to the cast pieces of previous reigns? (that last is always easier to match with a ball gown of striking color, I think).

I ask because Charles is generally thought to favor a modestly sized working Royal Family. His interests don't run to the monarchy for monarchy's sake side of things. Generally, the family has progressed to one that is more focused on the good of the realm and less on the trappings of the reign.

Certainly, the "gift to give the female side of the family something to wear on their gown" becomes less important as most female members of the family head regiments, have the VO, Garter, Thistle, Bath and/or BE for recognition of their contributions. There is less need to come up with something for an idle female cousin to wear with a tiara. The cousin is probably out winning Olympic Medals .

If anyone knows the history of the Family order in previous reigns, I'd be interested to know when in the reign it begins to show up?

I also have wondered if anyone knows if a "batch" of these painted pieces are created at one time and then given out till a new batch is needed? If so, have there been noted differences in the copies?

I also have wondered if these family orders revert to the crown on death of the recipient. I have always assumed they would remain cherished family pieces, but one never knows.

Thanks for your opinions or information, in advance.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

William got his garter at the time he did so he would be the 1000th Knight. I think the Thistle was a 30th birthday present. Maybe for this Christmas, the Queen will give Kate her family order. I think that would be a nice touch to show Kate has the backing of the Queen. I think Diana got her relativity early in her marriage, while Fergie never did and Sophie had to wait a while. However, the Queen isn't getting any younger and I think it would be cool for Kate to wear the family orders of Elizabeth, Charles & William, when she is consort. The Queen Mum wore George V, VI, and the Queen. The Queen wear her fathers and grandfathers.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Diana did receive Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II shortly after her marriage, in 1981. But then, she was The Princess of Wales and (if I'm not mistaken) was already pregnant with Prince William.

Camilla - the current Princess of Wales - received hers two years after her marriage. Sophie had to wait nearly five years.

While I have no doubts Kate will eventually be granted the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth, I don't think it will happen for at least another year.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

I'm willing to bet Catherine has the Family Order already. Just no opportunity to wear it.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
My personal opinion on this is, if their first born child is a girl, Letters Patent will be issued and make her a royal highness and princess, otherwise I think HM will follow the 1917 Letters Patent.
If HM doesn't make a first born girl a princess, even without equal primogeniture, the PC brigade will be out in force ranting and raving.

They can rant & rave all they want but I don't think the Queen will give in. After all, her own mother called her stubborn.

I don't think Kate will receive the family order for some years.

Camilla & Diana received it early in their marriage because they were married to the POW. Kate will have to wait at least as long as Sophie.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Majesty

I don't think Catherine will have to wait very long for The Queen to give her the Royal Family Order. I think it would be nice for catherine have The Queen's Order, then she will recieve Charles's Order and then William's.

I wonder why The Queen don't wear her Orders often? She have the Royal Family Orders of George V, George VI and her own.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't believe that a monarch wears their own family order- only those of their predecessors. It's something she awards to others, not something she has herself.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Majesty

HRH The Prince of Wales invested with the insignia of a Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu - an honour which carries the title of chief - by Governor General Sir Michael Ogio, Papua New Guinea.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall was presented the insignia of a Grand Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia by Governor General Sir Michael Ogio, Papua New Guinea.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order