The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It could stand for Elizabeth, or excellence or effort. I don't think many people dwell on it much.

To me it's another example of people going out of their way to be offended.

:previous:
Feigning offence is just another tactic to claim the moral high ground. It's usually raised by those not directly affected or offended themselves but by those claiming offence or "possible offence" for an unrelated third party.

This came up in another forum and it's probably better placed here.
Re: the Royal Family Order of the UK. It began in the early 1800's. For most monarchs it has been awarded to a handful to two dozen close female relations. We don't know for sure - because it is a private award and many people who might have received it may not have had occasion to wear it.

Is it likely Charles will continue the tradition when he ascends to to the crown? If so - when might he initiate the practice - in the first year of reign, later? I know it is privately given, but what seems to be the practice and will it continue. Will it continue as a painted piece or revert to the cast pieces of previous reigns? (that last is always easier to match with a ball gown of striking color, I think).

I ask because Charles is generally thought to favor a modestly sized working Royal Family. His interests don't run to the monarchy for monarchy's sake side of things. Generally, the family has progressed to one that is more focused on the good of the realm and less on the trappings of the reign.

Certainly, the "gift to give the female side of the family something to wear on their gown" becomes less important as most female members of the family head regiments, have the VO, Garter, Thistle, Bath and/or BE for recognition of their contributions. There is less need to come up with something for an idle female cousin to wear with a tiara. The cousin is probably out winning Olympic Medals :lol:.

If anyone knows the history of the Family order in previous reigns, I'd be interested to know when in the reign it begins to show up?

I also have wondered if anyone knows if a "batch" of these painted pieces are created at one time and then given out till a new batch is needed? If so, have there been noted differences in the copies?

I also have wondered if these family orders revert to the crown on death of the recipient. I have always assumed they would remain cherished family pieces, but one never knows.

Thanks for your opinions or information, in advance.

William got his garter at the time he did so he would be the 1000th Knight. I think the Thistle was a 30th birthday present. Maybe for this Christmas, the Queen will give Kate her family order. I think that would be a nice touch to show Kate has the backing of the Queen. I think Diana got her relativity early in her marriage, while Fergie never did and Sophie had to wait a while. However, the Queen isn't getting any younger and I think it would be cool for Kate to wear the family orders of Elizabeth, Charles & William, when she is consort. The Queen Mum wore George V, VI, and the Queen. The Queen wear her fathers and grandfathers.

:previous:

Diana did receive Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II shortly after her marriage, in 1981. But then, she was The Princess of Wales and (if I'm not mistaken) was already pregnant with Prince William.

Camilla - the current Princess of Wales - received hers two years after her marriage. Sophie had to wait nearly five years.

While I have no doubts Kate will eventually be granted the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth, I don't think it will happen for at least another year.

I'm willing to bet Catherine has the Family Order already. Just no opportunity to wear it.

My personal opinion on this is, if their first born child is a girl, Letters Patent will be issued and make her a royal highness and princess, otherwise I think HM will follow the 1917 Letters Patent.
If HM doesn't make a first born girl a princess, even without equal primogeniture, the PC brigade will be out in force ranting and raving.

They can rant & rave all they want but I don't think the Queen will give in. After all, her own mother called her stubborn.

I don't think Kate will receive the family order for some years.

Camilla & Diana received it early in their marriage because they were married to the POW. Kate will have to wait at least as long as Sophie.

Last edited:
I don't think Catherine will have to wait very long for The Queen to give her the Royal Family Order. I think it would be nice for catherine have The Queen's Order, then she will recieve Charles's Order and then William's.

I wonder why The Queen don't wear her Orders often? She have the Royal Family Orders of George V, George VI and her own.

I don't believe that a monarch wears their own family order- only those of their predecessors. It's something she awards to others, not something she has herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH The Prince of Wales invested with the insignia of a Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu - an honour which carries the title of chief - by Governor General Sir Michael Ogio, Papua New Guinea.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall was presented the insignia of a Grand Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia by Governor General Sir Michael Ogio, Papua New Guinea.

Prince William is a very senior member of the BRF, he is a Duke of the Royal Blood, he is also a Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter and a Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle.
My question is what do people think HM will confer next on William?
His father is the Great Master of the Order of the Bath and I think that William's next investure will be as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (GCB). The Bath is the third highest honour after the Garter and Thistle and I predict an announcement this Christmas. JMO and 'hunch' and I'm interested what others think?

Last edited:
I also think The Duke of Cambridge will be invested with the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

Also he could be awarded with The Order of Merit. I think Prince Harry also have some Royal Orders coming his way too.

Harry may have to wait for his father to become King before he is given any orders.
Anne, Andrew and Edward were all in their 40s before they recieved the Garter and they are the Queen's children.
William is obviously in a different position than Harry and their roles are light-years apart. Remember William was only 25 when he was made a Knight of the Garter and at 30 was made a Knight of the Thistle before either Prince Andrew or Prince Edward.

The Duke of Cambridge is treated differently for obvious reasons.

I don't know, I just feel The Queen will award Harry with an honour.

Dman said:
I don't know, I just feel The Queen will award Harry with an honour.

I agree...perhaps his 30th bday

I believe The Duchess of Cambridge will be recieving The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

I believe The Duchess of Cambridge will be recieving The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

I have a feeling Catherine received the Family Order in HM Jubilee year.

Prince William is a very senior member of the BRF, he is a Duke of the Royal Blood, he is also a Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter and a Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle.
My question is what do people think HM will confer next on William?
His father is the Great Master of the Order of the Bath and I think that William's next investure will be as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (GCB). The Bath is the third highest honour after the Garter and Thistle and I predict an announcement this Christmas. JMO and 'hunch' and I'm interested what others think?

I think Prince William has more than enough honours for someone who is not the next King and who, because of his military service (which I applaud) performs few Royal duties at present.

I don't doubt he will receive all of the honours his father and grandmother have in time. I would like to see all honours given as a reward for service. In the case of members of the Royal Family that would mean service to the nation or the monarchy as a working royal. William's service as a member of the RAF is admirable but there has been nothing to suggest it is more exceptional than any other man or woman in the armed services and therefore no more deserving of an honour than any other serviceman or woman.

I know that in the past the heir has received honours at a very young age but I would like to think Britain has moved on and become a more meritorious society. I would like to see the honours for William put on hold until he is either the Prince of Wales or a full time working member of the royal family.

I think Prince William has more than enough honours for someone who is not the next King and who, because of his military service (which I applaud) performs few Royal duties at present.

I don't doubt he will receive all of the honours his father and grandmother have in time. I would like to see all honours given as a reward for service. In the case of members of the Royal Family that would mean service to the nation or the monarchy as a working royal. William's service as a member of the RAF is admirable but there has been nothing to suggest it is more exceptional than any other man or woman in the armed services and therefore no more deserving of an honour than any other serviceman or woman.

I know that in the past the heir has received honours at a very young age but I would like to think Britain has moved on and become a more meritorious society. I would like to see the honours for William put on hold until he is either the Prince of Wales or a full time working member of the royal family.

Well William was just made a Knight of the Thistle 6 months ago so I don't think the Queen shares your views on which orders she confers on members of her family. HM bestows orders at her will and pleasure and sometimes with ministerial advice

Last edited:
Well William was just made a Knight of the Thistle 6 months ago so I don't think the Queen shares your views on which orders she confers on members of her family. HM bestows orders at her will and pleasure and sometimes with ministerial advice

I am aware, based on her actions, the Queen feels differently about the bestowing of honours on her family. I am also aware of how the Queen bestows honours and so I would rather you didn't speak to me in such a condescending manner.

I know that the Queen can, and will, bestow on William any honour she chooses. That is her right and a privilege of her position. I respect her wisdom and opinion but just because I respect her opinion and way of doing things doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

My opinion (and this is a board for people to express opinions) is that honours should be earned, not be awarded for being born. As I said, I know how things have been done in the past but that doesn't mean to say they have to be done the same way in the future.

In my opinion William has plenty of honours to be going on with - as you point out, he has already been awarded the Orders of the Garter and the Thistle which are the two most senior, and any more should wait a little while longer.

Without presuming to know what she thinks, based on recent actions, the Queen wishes to reward William now (I acknowledge, as she is quite entitled to do) and so I wouldn't be surprised if she chooses to bestow a number of other high honours on her grandson in the next few years.

Very good. People here tend to speak like the Queen doesn't make a move without consulting them. I am yet to see one post on this site by anyone having had a conversation with them, or that they had a conversation with someone that actually spoke to the Queen, or any other member of the royal family for that matter. Yet many seem to think they know exactly who, what, when, where and why she will do something. It is speculation. No matter how many thousands of post they have on this site.

My opinion (and this is a board for people to express opinions) is that honours should be earned, not be awarded for being born. As I said, I know how things have been done in the past but that doesn't mean to say they have to be done the same way in the future

Since we can't read the Queen's mind, we can only assume she thinks the Duke of Cambridge has earned his Orders of Chivalry.
It is the Queen and the Queen alone who makes these decisions and I trust her judgement on these matters
BTW, I stand by my prediction that the Duke of Cambridge will be invested as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath this Christmas.

I don't think she will give any more awards to either of her grandsons in the next couple of years (unless Harry distinguishes himself by some act of bravery - in which it would be in the normal course of military awards).

She usually makes her family wait and serve and with the exception of Charles getting the Garter (automatic when created Prince of Wales) even Charles had to do things to earn the awards.

She has however made William do less and wait less so she appears to be softening in her old age but I do hope she doesn't give any more awards to William and/or Harry until they have earned them after decades of work for the royal family as she made Anne, Edward and Andrew wait.

I don't think she will give any more awards to either of her grandsons in the next couple of years (unless Harry distinguishes himself by some act of bravery - in which it would be in the normal course of military awards).

She usually makes her family wait and serve and with the exception of Charles getting the Garter (automatic when created Prince of Wales) even Charles had to do things to earn the awards.

She has however made William do less and wait less so she appears to be softening in her old age but I do hope she doesn't give any more awards to William and/or Harry until they have earned them after decades of work for the royal family as she made Anne, Edward and Andrew wait.

It was William getting the Thistle that made me pause and go hmmmm. (Prince Andrew must have fallen over when he received the news lol)
There was no apparent reason for the Duke to receive it when he did and IMO, we are seeing a 'shift' in the Family and the focus on the 'core' 7

I also think William's RAF career is finished in 2013 and HM knows this.
It is all speculation because HM doesn't give reasons for awarding these orders but William does appear to be on the 'fast track' and the Bath would be the the next obvious order to receive IMO.

Harry on the other hand will have to wait on his father IMO.

Well Charles did not receive the GCB as an ordinary knight, he received it when he became Grand Master of the order in succession to the late Duke of Gloucester. I see no reason for William, having already received the 2 highest orders in HMs personal gift, to receive the Order of the Bath. Now should Charles succeed to the throne it is possible he might make one of his sons Grand Master in succession to him.

Well Charles did not receive the GCB as an ordinary knight, he received it when he became Grand Master of the order in succession to the late Duke of Gloucester. I see no reason for William, having already received the 2 highest orders in HMs personal gift, to receive the Order of the Bath. Now should Charles succeed to the throne it is possible he might make one of his sons Grand Master in succession to him.

But as I commented in my previous post, this isn't your mother's royal family.
Things are changing and William appears to have his grandmother's favour.
I'm only speculating but but I don't think its 'smart' to compare the 'old' BRF with the new and shiny BRF lol.

I never would have believed 10 years ago that William at 30 would be a Royal Duke, a Knight of both the Garter and Thistle but he is and I think it shows the confidence HM has in him.

Last edited:
There were four years between William being given the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Thistle. I see no reason to believe that less than six months later he would be awarded another prestigious honor.

The Bath also isn't an honor that HM gives out to her immediate family very easily. If I'm correct Charles is the only of The Queen's children or her cousins to have received the Order in any capacity, whereas all of her children plus the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, and Princess Alexandra all have the Garter.

I do hope William doesn't receive another honor especially this year. I hope the Queen leaves some honors that Charles can bestow on his son when he becomes King.

Mark Stewart‏@RegalEyes
The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester represented the Queen this evening at a service in to mark the life & work of King Michael of Romania.

Mark Stewart‏@RegalEyes
The service at the Queen's Chapel of the Savoy marks 75 years since King Michael received the Grand Cross of the Royal victorian Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom