The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Aristocracy

Has the order been given to any of her grand children in laws???
Another probability is that she simply doesn't want to give it to her grand children in laws.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
Another probability is that she simply doesn't want to give it to her grand children in laws.
well, the order is only given to high ranking members of the family who perform duties on HM's name, and the only married grandchildren the queen has aside from william are phillip and zara who don't even have royal status.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
Catherine is a senior member of the royal family. She's been working on behalf of The Queen for nearly six years now. She should already have it by this time. I'm still thinking the use of ivory in the order is the problem. A new one could be made for her without the use of ivory though. I don't know if it's too expensive to produce another or what, but it's not fair to leave her without the family order after all this time and work she has put in. If Catherine had just joined the family yesterday, no family order would be understandable. Nearly six years, two heirs and tons of official duties later, Catherine is deserving of the family order.

Now she's attending one the most important events on the royal calendar for the third time, and still don't have the family order.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations

Maybe we see Catherine get a GCVO or other Damehood on this years New Years Honors as a 35 birthday present?

I'm in the ivory as the RFO issue camp. With William's position she can't wear an ivory one and since it's not announced as given, the only way to know is when it's worn. There is this same debate everytime she doesn't wear it when she could. She doesn't work enough the Queen must hate her, marriage in trouble like Fergie side vs ivory issue.

We see Kate wearing the Queen's wedding present bracelet from Philip that no one else has worn. If you think your granddaughter in law needs to get out and work more, do you loan her that bracelet. She is a full time royal? Neither are William and Harry and they have 3 Knighthoods between them. Philip got the Garter on the eve of his wedding. He would not have gotten anything if he was not marrying the future queen. Elizabeth and Margaret got George V's RFO as small girls. They weren't out there working for The Firm as little girls.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The only thing that makes sense is the ivory issue. There doesn't seem to be any other logical reason for her not to have a RFO.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I almost wish the palace would come out with a statement that Catherine has received a RFO from the Queen and with the Queen's permission declines to wear it because of the ivory and when RFO are made for the next reign non ivory Elizabethan RFOs will be made at the same time to replace the current ivory ones. It's only Camilla, Sophie, Alexandra, Anne, Duchess of Gloucester and Kate that would need new RFOs.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's what I've been saying...the order being made with ivory is the issue. I think they should fix this. Have a new family order made by the royal jeweler or Spinks, without The Queen's portrait painted on ivory. Why on earth would Catherine be allowed to go on and on serving without the family order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I almost wish the palace would come out with a statement that Catherine has received a RFO from the Queen and with the Queen's permission declines to wear it because of the ivory and when RFO are made for the next reign non ivory Elizabethan RFOs will be made at the same time to replace the current ivory ones. It's only Camilla, Sophie, Alexandra, Anne, Duchess of Gloucester and Kate that would need new RFOs.
I think the palace has never thought of and don't have an interest in issuing a statement about it. I don't even think they are receiving any questions about it. The senior vet of royal reporters are just as puzzled as we on why she don't have the family order yet. They're waiting for her to get too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Skippyboo...We might not see that happen until William ascends the throne.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
If we look at the orders of everyone from the Duke of Edinburgh on down can anyone with a straight face say one has 'earned' an order and another hasn't.

What has Sophie done to 'earn' the Order of St John but not Camilla?

IMO, by any criteria, Kate has done more than enough to be given the order. That William has stated he wants to get rid of all the ivory in BP, that is reason enoguh for me for Kate not to be wearing it.
Well, it really is mind-numbingly simple:
Quote:
The Countess joined St John Ambulance as Grand President in 2004 and heads the work of St John's County Presidents who provide a variety of support for their local St John members.
And yes, she is a member of St John's itself and works for it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

In this day and age, Charles can't have his RFOs be ivory. They may not remake the Queen's. But the next King's can't be ivory. Ivory was okay in 1952 not now and in the future.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In this day and age, Charles can't have his RFOs be ivory. They may not remake the Queen's. But the next King's can't be ivory. Ivory was okay in 1952 not now and in the future.
Right I meant the re-making part. I fully expect Charles's to be made from some sort of ecologically sound/renewable type of material.

I would hate to see the current ones (or old ones with ivory) re-made at all. They are historical items to me.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

By the time William is King not that many would have a Elizabeth RFO, Sophie? The others would be very old and probably not attending State Dinners. One of the interest factors with Kate and the Queen's RFO is that Kate has the potential for RFO's from 4 monarchs.

What happens to the RFOs of royals who have passed. Do they reused them? For example, Queen Mary's Elizabeth did it get given to a royal lady 20 years later? The Queen is the only one with a George V and Alexandra is the only other with a George VI besides the Queen's. Where are the RFOs that were the Queen Mum and Margaret's? Do they take the precious stones from older monarch's RFOs and reset them into the new monarch's order? I can't see them buying new diamonds each time there is a new monarch.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

It isn't just a picture in a frame - the other side of HMQ's RFO is in silver-gilt, is patterned with rays and depicts her royal cypher and St. Edward's Crown in gold and enamel. picture here-

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N2r0qXFmRB.../_eiirrfo1.jpg

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well, it really is mind-numbingly simple:And yes, she is a member of St John's itself and works for it.
Sophie's appointment as a Dame of Justice was as a member of the Royal Family. There are thousands of people who dedicate their lives to the Order of St John and are never made a Knight or a Dame of Justice.

It was the same for Harry. He was knighted when he was 30. There are not many 30 year old KCVOs walking around outside the BRF

It's safe to say orders for members of the BRF are not 'earned' in the same way a person is knighted for discovering a cure to a terrible disease.

Going back to Camilla, she received her RFO after 2 years. Sophie was around 4 years, yet Sophie has two orders of chivalry to Camilla's one.

If there is a method to the Queen's madness she sure keeps it to herself
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

It isn't just a picture in a frame - the other side of HMQ's RFO is in silver-gilt, is patterned with rays and depicts her royal cypher and St. Edward's Crown in gold and enamel. picture here-

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N2r0qXFmRB.../_eiirrfo1.jpg

Thanks Cepe! I don't think I ever have seen the back before. Must cost a good deal of money to make. That would suggest that they get reissued like they do with the Garter regalia.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks Cepe! I don't think I ever have seen the back before. Must cost a good deal of money to make. That would suggest that they get reissued like they do with the Garter regalia.
I read somewhere that when a recipient dies they get passed on to new recipients, but I've never read that they are altered for a new Monarch.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Would be nice to hear of some royal family honours next year.

Congrats to everyone who's being honored.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal Family honours aren't announced in the New Year's or Queen's Birthday honours but at times that HM feels is appropriate.

Given that the honours that the Queen awards to her family have virtually all been awarded, other than upgrades, there isn't too many left to award.

Charles could get the Thistle I suppose as he doesn't have that, while both William and Anne do.

I suspect that HM won't give either Harry or William any more so that Charles can give them when he is King.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Royal Family honours aren't announced in the New Year's or Queen's Birthday honours but at times that HM feels is appropriate.

Given that the honours that the Queen awards to her family have virtually all been awarded, other than upgrades, there isn't too many left to award.

Charles could get the Thistle I suppose as he doesn't have that, while both William and Anne do.

I suspect that HM won't give either Harry or William any more so that Charles can give them when he is King.
Catherine and Camilla could get an honour. Camilla is turning 70 next year. Catherine has worked hard for the firm too.

I'm just stating the new year would be a great time for some family members to receive an award.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think Iluvbertie has hit on something here and the more I think about it, the more I am inclined that perhaps the Queen is done giving honors to her family.

I think any upgrades to Camilla's will mean so much more to the couple if they come from Charles and the same with his sons and his daughter-in-law(s). As we see the monarchy gradually in the process of transitioning, it makes sense to me that HM would want to save some honors for her son to bestow on his family.

While family "awards" are nice, I don't think they're all that important to the family members as we perhaps think they are. Its just something that is done from time to time as part of a tradition but its not something they race to get or earn "brownie" points to get one faster.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order