The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't the Queen giving Kate the Family Order have appeared in the Court Circular? She would, after all, have hardly sent it to Kate through the post. If she married in the Queen's reign, had children in the Queen's reign and began her public duties in this reign then you would think that she would have received the Family Order from this Queen, not wait till Charles comes to the throne. Sophie had to wait for ages for her FO, and I think it's the same case here.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Wouldn't the Queen giving Kate the Family Order have appeared in the Court Circular? She would, after all, have hardly sent it to Kate through the post. If she married in the Queen's reign, had children in the Queen's reign and began her public duties in this reign then you would think that she would have received the Family Order from this Queen, not wait till Charles comes to the throne. Sophie had to wait for ages for her FO, and I think it's the same case here.

No, it does not appear in the court circular. And Sophie got hers in 2004- 5 years after she married, in 1999.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 05-15-2016, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I agree. The idea of pinning a sash onto a months old baby is plainly absurd.

Equally, I'm not exactly sure what service Mary Donaldson had performed for Denmark when she got her order before her wedding, let alone that of her father who also got an order.
Sometimes the Order simply comes with the position. In Sweden we see royal babies with the Seraphim but this is no different from -for an example- the Golden Lion of the House Nassau, an Order with both Henri of Nassau (Luxembourg) and Willem-Alexander of Orange-Nassau (the Netherlands) as joint grandmasters. The statutes of this Order simply state that a Prince of the blood royal from the House (Orange-)Nassau has the Order. Period. Only difference: they wear the decorations from the age of 18 and not -like in Sweden- already as baby, but the systematic is the same and it is not so strange: an Order of chivalry without the Princes of the blood royal? So there are Orders because of merits, but there are also Orders because you simply are what you are. Prince William got the Most Noble Order of the Garter because of his position and not because he has a dazzling list of merits.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I totally understand the ivory issue. As I said before, if the order being made with ivory is the problem, why not commission her a new order without the ivory setting? The whole thing could be solved with a new order for Catherine. Princess Sofia have a brand new version of her father-in-law's family order and everyone else wear the older version.

I just think that it's important for Catherine to be seen wearing her family order. New or old. Or at least appoint her to a knighthood. Don't allow her five years of service go underappreciated in the eyes of the public and even media. I would say the same for Camilla and Sophie, if they fell under this case.

I really do think that from a PR perspective, it doesn't much matter if Catherine wears an order or not. Like I said- only dedicated royal watchers even notice. I guarantee no one else can even tell you what a royal family order is.

Her wearing one (even one in a new material- which as I said, is something that would have to be disclosed to the press, which would create a story about the ivory all the other ladies are wearing) would ignite the debate about what to do with all of the historical ivory works owned by the Royal family which is a much bigger deal as a story than what honors Kate receives.

If I were on their PR team, I would be telling them to avoid that conversation at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-15-2016, 03:24 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This brings up a good question. Has there ever been anything in the press where they've noticed that Kate didn't wear the RFO at all? Just curious.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

If Kate gets it that year, it wouldn't be out of place. Sophie didn't get one until 2004 (5 years). Fergie was married for 6 years before they separated and never received it. Diana and Camilla both received shortly after marriage but they are also wives of the heir to the throne.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

There has only been 3 occasions where a RFO would have been worn that Kate has attended. The 2 Diplomatic Receptions have no press coverage. She got plenty of press coverage for the Chinese State Dinner. If the Cambridges continue to go to state dinners, I think eventually it will be written about her lack of RFO. I think it definitely written about the first time she wears it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This brings up a good question. Has there ever been anything in the press where they've noticed that Kate didn't wear the RFO at all? Just curious.
Not that I am aware of - there is no call for her to receive the RFO met likely because, as HRHHermione suggests, only dedicated royal watchers will notice it and even then it is not a hugely vital issue.

I am quite sure we had this conversation last year after the state visit from China with talk of reasons why and the issue of ivory came up as one of the reasons. I think we can be sure that isn't the problem - either because the problem doesn't exist or because it can easily be remedied by the use of porcelain or another material.

Countessmeout gives the most probable reason why the Order hasn't been yet been given to Catherine.

ETA: Skippyboo is right - when Catherine does receive the Order, it will then be noticed and commented upon in the press.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Sometimes the Order simply comes with the position. In Sweden we see royal babies with the Seraphim but this is no different from -for an example- the Golden Lion of the House Nassau, an Order with both Henri of Nassau (Luxembourg) and Willem-Alexander of Orange-Nassau (the Netherlands) as joint grandmasters. The statutes of this Order simply state that a Prince of the blood royal from the House (Orange-)Nassau has the Order. Period. Only difference: they wear the decorations from the age of 18 and not -like in Sweden- already as baby, but the systematic is the same and it is not so strange: an Order of chivalry without the Princes of the blood royal? So there are Orders because of merits, but there are also Orders because you simply are what you are. Prince William got the Most Noble Order of the Garter because of his position and not because he has a dazzling list of merits.
If the Princes of the House of Nassau have the of the Golden Lion of nasau why does the sons of Prince Margreit not have it?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The orders of the ladies that have passed are all ivory. So if the ivory is the issue, wearing Diana's, Queen Mum's etc order doesn't solve the problem.

Yes it does! Wearing an used one means no "new" ivory had to be used. It is there anyway and putting them in store wouldn´t help, makes no sense.

The King of the Netherlands still uses the hermine coat at his investiture although nobody would kill a mink these days to create a royal mantle.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Maybe she has already been awarded the RFO but chooses not to wear it as it is made from ivory?? Who knows

Are you serious?!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Are you serious?!
About as serious as half the other suggestions on here. In fairness the Queen may have given it to Catherine we don't know and won't know until she wears it in public.

Let's get real guys, Sophie waited 5 years for hers even though she was for those 5 years often referred to as the Queen's favourite.
People refer back to Diana getting her RFO within a year but the RF has changed massively since the 80s and 90s. Camilla waited, Sophie waited so there is no reason why Catherine not having hers now is a 'snub'. People hold Catherine higher than Camilla and Sophie but actually when they received their they had done more 'royal' work than Catherine. That is NOT a moan at Catherine, they were in a different position as they were a generation ahead and married to full time royals.

Anyway the bickering over it is really not worth it, only the Queen can decide when to give Catherine the RFO and we will only know when Catherine decided to wear it.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
If Kate gets it that year, it wouldn't be out of place. Sophie didn't get one until 2004 (5 years). Fergie was married for 6 years before they separated and never received it. Diana and Camilla both received shortly after marriage but they are also wives of the heir to the throne.

Out of place?!
That shows that there´s no system in giving it out at all. And we can endlessly discuss ivory, no ivory, merits, no merits etc etc. ...
Old 05-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Members of the British press and Royal correspondents have been waiting for Catherine to receive her RFO for a while now. It's one of the reasons it was written about last year. Some expected for her to have it, but then she showed up to the Chinese State Banquet or the Diplomatic Corps reception without it. The palace really don't comment on it, so there's not much to write about it. If she's seen with it on, the media will take notice, because it will be seen as The Queen marking Catherine's place in the family and showing her appreciation for her granddaughter-in-law.

Sometimes I get the feeling that The Queen herself really don't think about this kind of stuff until someone brings it up to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
About as serious as half the other suggestions on here. In fairness the Queen may have given it to Catherine we don't know and won't know until she wears it in public.

Let's get real guys, Sophie waited 5 years for hers even though she was for those 5 years often referred to as the Queen's favourite.
People refer back to Diana getting her RFO within a year but the RF has changed massively since the 80s and 90s. Camilla waited, Sophie waited so there is no reason why Catherine not having hers now is a 'snub'. People hold Catherine higher than Camilla and Sophie but actually when they received their they had done more 'royal' work than Catherine. That is NOT a moan at Catherine, they were in a different position as they were a generation ahead and married to full time royals.

Anyway the bickering over it is really not worth it, only the Queen can decide when to give Catherine the RFO and we will only know when Catherine decided to wear it.
No one hold Catherine higher than anyone. Catherine is pretty much third lady of the land after The Queen and Camilla. Camilla got hers after two years of marriage. It's been five years for Catherine now. It's perfectly natural to expect her to have her family order by now.

Catherine should have it by this years State Visit and the next Diplomatic Cops Reception in Dec. If not, it will be beyond odd.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To throw another wrench into the fan, its very possible that HM gave Kate the RFO a long time ago and perhaps even on her wedding day. With the few occasions where she would have worn it and with other issues that surround the RFO such as the material, we're just assuming she hasn't got one yet. She could be wearing it on her PJs and riding George's hot wheels around Anmer Hall singing "I got the RFO! I got the RFO!".

(ducks and runs for cover)
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
To throw another wrench into the fan, its very possible that HM gave Kate the RFO a long time ago and perhaps even on her wedding day. With the few occasions where she would have worn it and with other issues that surround the RFO such as the material, we're just assuming she hasn't got one yet. She could be wearing it on her PJs and riding George's hot wheels around Anmer Hall singing "I got the RFO! I got the RFO!".

(ducks and runs for cover)
I suggested that a few posts back, that the queen had already given it to Kate who simply hasnt been seen wearing it. Good luck with the responses you get to that... Mine were hilarious
Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't recall that kind of story but there was a Daily Mail story late last summer/early fall stating that she was going to get the order and to expect to see her wearing it at upcoming event(s).

ETA:
Here's the DM story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-s-ghosts.html
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Yes it does! Wearing an used one means no "new" ivory had to be used. It is there anyway and putting them in store wouldn´t help, makes no sense.

The King of the Netherlands still uses the hermine coat at his investiture although nobody would kill a mink these days to create a royal mantle.

That would work for another Royal lady but that doesn't work for the wife of the man leading a public campaign against poaching and one of the key components is getting people not to use/buy products made of ivory for decoration or medicinal purposes. Especially when that woman's fashion choices cause the items to sell out.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If the Princes of the House of Nassau have the of the Golden Lion of nasau why does the sons of Prince Margreit not have it?
An OTT step but it shows someone can have an Order purely without any merit at all, simply because one is what one is, like the royal babies in Sweden. Article III of the Satutes read:

Les Princes, fils et frères des Chefs des deux lignes de la Maison de Nassau, sont Chevaliers-nés de l'Ordre. Toutefois ils n'en porteront les insignes, avant l'âge de la majorité, que du consentement du Chef de leur ligne.

(The Princes, sons and brothers of the Chefs of the two lines of the House of Nassau, are born Knights in this Order. However they do not bear the insignias of this Order before the age of majority, unless it is consented by the Chef of their line.).
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
That would work for another Royal lady but that doesn't work for the wife of the man leading a public campaign against poaching and one of the key components is getting people not to use/buy products made of ivory for decoration or medicinal purposes. Especially when that woman's fashion choices cause the items to sell out.

Exactly! This is the reason I think they are avoiding it all together. Because if Kate wears an old ivory one, they will run with the "Kate wears ivory" headline, if sshe wears a new porclein one that will have to be clearly commented on by the palace which would lead to talks about all the other ladies wearing ivory. It's a very tricky situation PR wise. I don't know if she will get it or not, but I do not think the ivory issue is taken lightly.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order