The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's an interesting fact. I think i'd prefer the brooch than the sash, hah!

I am glad Wikipedia updated their page, however anyone in the world can edit a Wikipedia page can they not? So someone may have read this and then edited it It also now says Zara Philips has the Royal Family Order...is this true? I do feel a bit bad that Princess Michael has not received anything, but I suppose it is HM's choice. Must be pretty tough though to see the other woman who married into the family receive orders and such. It would make you think she would want to work for her title, ensure she gains an order.

I understand that there are certain occasions when orders are worn. For example, at the banquet in May for the Obama's, did the women wear their Royal Family Order or the Royal Victorian Order? Or have I got that confused and they wear both? Alex, I imagine you can assist me! Also,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad Wikipedia updated their page, however anyone in the world can edit a Wikipedia page can they not? So someone may have read this and then edited it It also now says Zara Philips has the Royal Family Order...is this true?

Yes, anyone can edit Wikipedia. I've fixed the entries - didn't notice Zara since she was listed in a different article on the Royal Family Order in general. Whoever added the wrong information had no previous contributions and no user account, so you can see how easy it is for errors to occur.

If you see other mistakes feel free to fix them - it's quite simple actually! :flowers:

However sometimes the editors refuse to allow your corrections, even when you can show them that you are right - because you can't quote a published work - e.g. you can point to the relevant Act of Parliament and show descent to show that the Act doesn't apply however because you can't quote a published work it is classed as 'original' research and therefore not permitted - I know I have had a running battle to get a correction accepted and have simply given up.

The Queen Mother, I believe wore the orders of both her husband and daughter as well as her ftaher in law, George V..

However sometimes the editors refuse to allow your corrections, even when you can show them that you are right - because you can't quote a published work - e.g. you can point to the relevant Act of Parliament and show descent to show that the Act doesn't apply however because you can't quote a published work it is classed as 'original' research and therefore not permitted - I know I have had a running battle to get a correction accepted and have simply given up.

That's true that Wikipedia doesn't always allow corrections. I remember a controversy regarding Princess Mabel of the Netherlands attempting to revise an entry in Wiki regarding an investigation in her background. I think Wiki refused the correction. I'm fuzzy on the details, but remember reading about it.

The Queen Mother, I believe wore the orders of both her husband and daughter as well as her ftaher in law, George V..

You may well be right Zonk, altough from memory, I only ever saw the Queen Mother wearing two family orders: those of her husband and her daughter. I can never remember seeing her wear three. Perhaps someone with a good photograph could confirm this? [The family Order of George V had a white ribbon, that of George VI had a rose pink ribbon, so it should be quite easy to spot what the Queen Mother is wearing even if the portraits are too small to differentiate.

No problem with the Queen Zonk but I look forward to seeing the Queen Mother with 3 orders - I thought that she only received Family Orders from George VI and The Queen...

Last edited:
Just a qucik question - while recently watching TV coverage of the reception given to HM the Queen at Parliament House in Canberra, I noticed that the 2 ladies-in-waiting were wearing pink ribbons with some sort of insignia. I am afraid the best picture I can find is this one - http://www.bta.bg/en/gallery/showImage/?image=107887 - where they can be seen at some distance at the top of the image. Is this some kind of Royal Family Order or another decoration?

...The principle that one has to actually earn the Order seems a sound one...
Thank you for the fascinating description of how things work over there--it clarified quite a few things. I am pretty sure that Catharine would be an outstanding member of the BRF and she will eventually get it, but there is no need to rush the Family Order membership awarding. So on one hand, I don't think the Queen would give Catharine membership in her Order within a year, but on the other hand it wouldn't surprise me too much if she did anyway.

Just a qucik question - while recently watching TV coverage of the reception given to HM the Queen at Parliament House in Canberra, I noticed that the 2 ladies-in-waiting were wearing pink ribbons with some sort of insignia. I am afraid the best picture I can find is this one - http://www.bta.bg/en/gallery/showImage/?image=107887 - where they can be seen at some distance at the top of the image. Is this some kind of Royal Family Order or another decoration?

Her ladies in waiting wear a diamond E badge.

Actually I don't think Sarah Ferguson received any foreign orders and certainly no British honours. I know the Duke of York has the Order of St Olav, but do you have a picture of Sarah wearing it?

Sarah never received the order of St. Olav. Only the following British Royals currently hold the order:
- Queen Elizabeth (since 1955)
- Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh (since 1952)
- Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales (since 1978)
- Prince Andrew, the Duke of York (since 1988)
- Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex (since 1988)
- Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (since 1973)

Last edited:
With the diamond jubilee here do we think that the Queen will give some new orders out to the royal females to wear at the major events that'll happen. Perhaps Catherine will get the family order (big question mark there though) and maybe Camilla may get something (Sophie got the order of st. john after a couple of years of full time royal duties), I'd love to see that as well as the other minor royals getting some recognition, any thoughts?

I know that George V had a white ribbon, and George V1 had rose pink. The Queen's own is "chartreuse"

In some of the pictures in this thread the order ribbon is blue - which order is that?

thank you

Which pictures specifically are you looking at? The George V ribbon is a very pale blue that looks white in some pictures; Princess Margaret in the photograph I posted in post 66 is wearing the Order of the Crown of India along with her three family orders.

So for royal orders it's the bow with the order for females and a sort of award metal for males?

It depends on the order. The royal family orders can only be received by women, and they're always worn attached to a bow. (The Order of the Crown of India could also only be worn by women, although nobody has been appointed to it since 1947. The insignia was almost always worn on a bow, but the Queen wore hers like a medal when she wore a uniform at Trooping the Colour.)

For other orders, the upper grade usually has a sash worn by both sexes. The insignia of the lower grades are worn either on the neck or like a medal on the upper-left chest, and women generally have the option of putting them on a bow instead. (The Royal Victorian Chain works the same way. Princess Margaret, in the picture that I linked to, is wearing the chain around her neck. She also had the option of wearing parts of the chain attached to a bow. I think that would have overloaded her dress, though.)

The Diamond Jubilee Medal

The UK Diamond Jubilee Medal doesn't appear in this thread so for the record here it is, plus the bar...

Attachments

• 1 Diamond Jubilee Medal.jpg
    1 Diamond Jubilee Medal.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,819
  • 1 Diamond Jubilee Bar.png
    1 Diamond Jubilee Bar.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:
:previous: They appear to have used the same profile portait of the Queen as is used on Australian and British coinage which boasts the best likeness in both age and appearance.

Last edited:
Queen's advisers tell her to drop 'empire' from honours as it's 'inappropriate' in post-imperial Britain
The word 'empire' should be removed from honours such as the MBE and OBE because it is 'inappropriate', the Queen's advisers have recommended. The Queen's lords lieutenant, who advise the monarch on who should receive honours, have called for an end to its use because of its links to British colonial history and class.
I suppose it's up to British members to give opinion on this issue, but I believe this is a truly hideous idea. Hopefully, Her Majesty feels the same way. :nonono:
Sometimes I feel like Britain is almost deliberately trying to destroy the great legacy it has accumulated over the centuries.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Artemisia, there is a large chunk of people in this country (mainly on the left) who believe that our historic legacy is something we must be forever ashamed of. As far as they're concerned there is nothing to be proud of.

This is just silly political correctness. Everyone knows we don't have an Empire anymore; everyone knows the very chequered history of our Empire. But, this is just not necessary. It's fiddling with something that works well. People refuse MBEs and Knighthoods for lots of different reasons. But many, many more people are proud to receive them and I would simply leave things as they are. When something's not broken, there's no point in expending lots of time and energy fixing it.

This is just silly political correctness. Everyone knows we don't have an Empire anymore; everyone knows the very chequered history of our Empire. But, this is just not necessary. It's fiddling with something that works well. People refuse MBEs and Knighthoods for lots of different reasons. But many, many more people are proud to receive them and I would simply leave things as they are. When something's not broken, there's no point in expending lots of time and energy fixing it.
Like all Empires, the British one had its high and low points, granted. But aren't you (British people, or rather, politicians) tired of constantly apologising? After all the British Empire WAS a great one.
- It was the single largest Empire in the history of humanity.
- It's influence on the development of the mankind is virtually unparalleled (with the possible exceptions of the Greek and Roman Empires).
- It was one of the first countries to abolish slavery on its territories.
- It basically gave the world the law system: Magna Carta, Bill of Rights, and Habeas Corpus Act are quite possibly some of the most important documents in history.
- The very basis of the modern world was laid during the times of the Empire.
- Not to mention the greatest legacy of them all - the language. The very fact that we all speak English in this forum speaks volumes.

Yes, a lot of bad things happened and they should be remembered. But forgetting all the good, great things the Empire achieved? That's not only sad: that's almost a crime. And the impression I often get is that it's a taboo to talk about the Empire in positive light; just constantly apologise for the mistakes, and sometimes - even achievements.

My apologies for this rant; I didn't intend to sound quite so passionate.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you say, Artemisia. (You may have read it, but Niall Ferguson's book Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World, is a really balanced and interesting take on the British Empire and I strongly recommend it).

For those on the left of the political spectrum Britain can never make amends for its mistakes. If we started a policy of national self-flagellation over the sins of our ancestors it still wouldn't be enough for these people. They actually hate Britain, even though they're British themselves.

The archetypal example of this is one Andrew Hawkins. One of his ancestors was a slave trader, so Mr Hawkins decided that that meant he had to kneel in chains in front of a crowd of Africans while telling them all how sorry he is (and wearing a tshirt that said 'I'm so sorry'). Even though the actions of his ancestor were not his and none of the people concerned are alive today, he felt the need to prostrate himself because of it. He's the kind of chap who would get very wound up over use of the word 'Empire'.

Kneeling in chains, the dramatic apology from slave trader descendant | Mail Online

On a different note, I don't think most people who get an MBE/OBE/CBE even know what those letters stand for.

On a different note, I don't think most people who get an MBE/OBE/CBE even know what those letters stand for.

I disagree, the majority of people who receive those awards are everyday people who have done extraordinary things. They are proud to receive the award and certainly know what it means. Even the celebrities who have received one, know what it means. The award is respected by the people who receive it, just not by the government who want to make everything equal in the world so they don't offend people.

What I mean is, I don't think there's a massive degree of public awareness that the 'E' in MBE stands for Empire.

Living in Northern Ireland, it has always amazed me just how comfortable those in the Nationalist/Republican community here are to accept these decorations. Obviously some wouldn't accept them for political reasons, but if people from that community can happily accept an MBE, anyone can.

What I mean is, I don't think there's a massive degree of public awareness that the 'E' in MBE stands for Empire.

Living in Northern Ireland, it has always amazed me just how comfortable those in the Nationalist/Republican community here are to accept these decorations. Obviously some wouldn't accept them for political reasons, but if people from that community can happily accept an MBE, anyone can.

Well, what else could it stand for?
The people who receive the award understand the meaning, they don't complain, that's the important part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom