The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Off topic but I've always liked the fact that Prince Philip wore his Greek order on his wedding day despite attempts by courtiers to make him thoroughly English

Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

There will be honors William will award his wife, but I think it's Charles that will invest Catherine with the Garter.

I think it's impressive that Camilla, Catherine and other royal ladies will several royal family orders from The Queen, Charles, and William.

We won't know if Catherine have the royal family order until she attends a state banquet or the reception for the diplomatic corps.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Harry is more likely to get the Garter from Charles than Kate. No one who married in other than the consort has the Garter. It's also possible the Charles outlives Camilla so she doesn't get a family order from William. Kate is in line for 3 maybe even four family orders.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Royal Highness

What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks
I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

I know that the Orders of the Garter, Thistle etc are returned as it is mentioned in the CC when the order of the deceased member is returned after their passing.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Grand Duke Jean is a garter knight and still alive. For W-A, Henri and Felipe maybe they have to wait for their parent who all have the Garter to pass so they can get it. I think Felipe has a lower British order already.
Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Usually a Royal Knight or Royal Lady is appointed after a State Visit has been made to the UK. This can take a few years anyway. King Albert II of the Belgians never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. They are the only ones of the European Sovereigns (bar the usual exceptions of Monaco, Liechtenstein and the Vatican) whom have no Order of the Garter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.
And Queen Juliana received her Order of the Garter when her mother, Queen Wilhelmina, was still alive (1958).

Picture: Queen Juliana with the Garter insignia and Princess Beatrix with the Royal Victorian Order (1958)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.
Not always. Recently a collar of this Order (the elephant pendant was removed, apparently the seller wanted to keep it) was offered for sale at Lauritz.com, here a picture of the offered collar.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Knights Commander Cross (KCVO) of the Royal Victorian Order, No. 1089, can currently be had on eBay for $AU1,000.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Gentry

I think that with most of the honours, the collars (for sure) and the stars (in most cases) have to be returned on death. The other (less expensive) parts of the regalia can be retined by the recipient's family. Each order has its own directive in this area.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the Reagan family has been able to keep the late President's Garter chain and badge and its part of the exhibition at Reagan Library.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the Reagan family has been able to keep the late President's Garter chain and badge and its part of the exhibition at Reagan Library.
I would be very surprised to learn that a President did receive the Garter. Maybe you're referring to the Order of The Bath ?

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-...ueen-s-warning
Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Nobility

The collar of the Order of the Garter is definitely returned when a member dies. In the documentary 'The Queen's Castle' from about 10 years ago, the Crown Jeweller reveals that each collar had just been valued at £250k (~ $390k USD) each. The one worn by the Duke of Abercorn, he goes on to reveal, is 350 years old.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
President Reagan was made an Honourary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

It goes Garter, Thistle, Bath.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There will be honors William will award his wife, but I think it's Charles that will invest Catherine with the Garter.
and that goes against history. Catherine probably won't get the RVO until at least 2020, at the earliest. Camilla only waited seven years, but she is quite older. Sophie waited 11 years, the Duchess of Kent waited 16 years, and the Duchess of Gloucester waited 17 years. So Catherine probably has at least 10 years to wait, unless the Queen dies before then. I think it's possible, that if the Queen dies before W&K have reached their 10th anniversary, that Charles will give Catherine the RVO not long after becoming King.

Charles will give Camilla the Garter when he's King and Catherine will receive the Garter from William when he's King. Unless we see W&K step up and become full fledged working members, then possibly Charles may give Catherine the Garter when he's King, but it's unlikely. Sure, he may want to do things his own way, but I think he's also very keenly aware of history and how things have been done. Albert received the Garter from his Queen, Alexandra received hers from her King, Mary from hers, and Elizabeth from hers. Philip was a unique case, true, but not so different from Albert, I think. It's just that at the time of Albert's marriage, his wife was already Queen. I believe Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles and Catherine from William, should they both become King.

also, the idea that Charles will have a short rule is possible, but considering that his father is in his 90s and he has had several family members live up to the 100s, Charles could rule for 20 years. If Elizabeth dies at 100 and Charles dies at 100, that still gives him a 20+ year rule. Not short by any means. Certainly we don't know what's in store, but genetics have shown that Liz and Charles could both live for quite a long time.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
and that goes against history. Catherine probably won't get the RVO until at least 2020, at the earliest. Camilla only waited seven years, but she is quite older. Sophie waited 11 years, the Duchess of Kent waited 16 years, and the Duchess of Gloucester waited 17 years. So Catherine probably has at least 10 years to wait, unless the Queen dies before then. I think it's possible, that if the Queen dies before W&K have reached their 10th anniversary, that Charles will give Catherine the RVO not long after becoming King.

Charles will give Camilla the Garter when he's King and Catherine will receive the Garter from William when he's King. Unless we see W&K step up and become full fledged working members, then possibly Charles may give Catherine the Garter when he's King, but it's unlikely. Sure, he may want to do things his own way, but I think he's also very keenly aware of history and how things have been done. Albert received the Garter from his Queen, Alexandra received hers from her King, Mary from hers, and Elizabeth from hers. Philip was a unique case, true, but not so different from Albert, I think. It's just that at the time of Albert's marriage, his wife was already Queen. I believe Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles and Catherine from William, should they both become King.

also, the idea that Charles will have a short rule is possible, but considering that his father is in his 90s and he has had several family members live up to the 100s, Charles could rule for 20 years. If Elizabeth dies at 100 and Charles dies at 100, that still gives him a 20+ year rule. Not short by any means. Certainly we don't know what's in store, but genetics have shown that Liz and Charles could both live for quite a long time.
One must remember, there's no rule book on how long it takes for members of the royal family to receive these Orders. It's all made up by the family. Most likely Charles will award some honors to his daughter-in-law, as she would be Princess of Wales while he's on the throne.

I don't believe Catherine is too far off from receiving the RVO. The Order of the Garter may be far off, until Charles is on the throne, but the Orders that should be awarded to Catherine, Royal Family Order and later the Royal Victorian Order should be coming her way soon. She deserve a pat on the back, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
One must remember, there's no rule book on how long it takes for members of the royal family to receive these Orders. It's all made up by the family. Most likely Charles will award some honors to his daughter-in-law, as she would be Princess of Wales while he's on the throne.

I don't believe Catherine is too far off from receiving the RVO. The Order of the Garter may be far off, until Charles is on the throne, but the Orders that should be awarded to Catherine, Royal Family Order and later the Royal Victorian Order should be coming her way soon. She deserve a pat on the back, IMO.
There's no rule, but there's a consistency in the way the orders are handed out. If she doesn't have it already, Catherine will get the RFO in 2015. But no, the RVO is years away. To say she's earned it is far fetched. I like her as much as the next person, but she's not earned it. Not yet. A pat on the back is one thing, the RVO is another. It's a very esteemed order and for her to get it, she's going to have put in many more years of hard work. Sophie started out slow and then began putting in her time and she got it. Catherine will get it in due time, but I think it would be a huge mistake for her to get it before 2020, at the earliest, unless, as I said, she takes a huge step forward, which is possible.

You don't give out the RVO as a pat on the back, imo. It's a bit more important than that.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Again the 'earning' is in the eyes of the Queen. I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but William was made a Knight of the Garter at 25 while his uncles were in their 40s so its quite possible Catherine will receive the RVO sooner rather than later.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Again the 'earning' is in the eyes of the Queen. I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but William was made a Knight of the Garter at 25 while his uncles were in their 40s so its quite possible Catherine will receive the RVO sooner rather than later.
William is also the heir of the heir, his uncles are not. Charles was only 10 when he was given the Garter. Heirs live under different rules for the Garter.

Of course earning is in the eye of the Queen and what we've seen from others is that Catherine, likely, has a ways to go. Sure, it's entirely possible that Catherine will receive the RVO in 2016 or even in 2015. and it's entirely possible that HM will pass next year.

All I'm saying is that based on history, Catherine will not be getting the RVO any time soon, unless she really steps it up, which is possible.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Only the Prince of Wales is required to be a member of the Garter, not William but using the logic that William was made a knight because he is the heir to the heir, we can apply that to Catherine. She is in a different position to all other royal woman except Camilla.

Again I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but I wouldn't be shocked if t came sooner rather than later given her position in the family

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order