The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,394
Off topic but I've always liked the fact that Prince Philip wore his Greek order on his wedding day despite attempts by courtiers to make him thoroughly English
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,434
There will be honors William will award his wife, but I think it's Charles that will invest Catherine with the Garter.

I think it's impressive that Camilla, Catherine and other royal ladies will several royal family orders from The Queen, Charles, and William.

We won't know if Catherine have the royal family order until she attends a state banquet or the reception for the diplomatic corps.
__________________

__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,335
I think Harry is more likely to get the Garter from Charles than Kate. No one who married in other than the consort has the Garter. It's also possible the Charles outlives Camilla so she doesn't get a family order from William. Kate is in line for 3 maybe even four family orders.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 12-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 AM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks
I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
I know that the Orders of the Garter, Thistle etc are returned as it is mentioned in the CC when the order of the deceased member is returned after their passing.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Arrjann's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Grand Duke Jean is a garter knight and still alive. For W-A, Henri and Felipe maybe they have to wait for their parent who all have the Garter to pass so they can get it. I think Felipe has a lower British order already.
Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: @houseoflemon
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Usually a Royal Knight or Royal Lady is appointed after a State Visit has been made to the UK. This can take a few years anyway. King Albert II of the Belgians never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. They are the only ones of the European Sovereigns (bar the usual exceptions of Monaco, Liechtenstein and the Vatican) whom have no Order of the Garter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.
And Queen Juliana received her Order of the Garter when her mother, Queen Wilhelmina, was still alive (1958).

Picture: Queen Juliana with the Garter insignia and Princess Beatrix with the Royal Victorian Order (1958)



Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.
Not always. Recently a collar of this Order (the elephant pendant was removed, apparently the seller wanted to keep it) was offered for sale at Lauritz.com, here a picture of the offered collar.


Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Knights Commander Cross (KCVO) of the Royal Victorian Order, No. 1089, can currently be had on eBay for $AU1,000.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Bryce's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Etobicoke, Canada
Posts: 77
I think that with most of the honours, the collars (for sure) and the stars (in most cases) have to be returned on death. The other (less expensive) parts of the regalia can be retined by the recipient's family. Each order has its own directive in this area.
__________________
Cheers !
Bryce
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,434
I think the Reagan family has been able to keep the late President's Garter chain and badge and its part of the exhibition at Reagan Library.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the Reagan family has been able to keep the late President's Garter chain and badge and its part of the exhibition at Reagan Library.
I would be very surprised to learn that a President did receive the Garter. Maybe you're referring to the Order of The Bath ?

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-...ueen-s-warning
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
The collar of the Order of the Garter is definitely returned when a member dies. In the documentary 'The Queen's Castle' from about 10 years ago, the Crown Jeweller reveals that each collar had just been valued at £250k (~ $390k USD) each. The one worn by the Duke of Abercorn, he goes on to reveal, is 350 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the Reagan family has been able to keep the late President's Garter chain and badge and its part of the exhibition at Reagan Library.
President Reagan was made an Honourary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

It goes Garter, Thistle, Bath.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 PM
GömdNatt's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There will be honors William will award his wife, but I think it's Charles that will invest Catherine with the Garter.
and that goes against history. Catherine probably won't get the RVO until at least 2020, at the earliest. Camilla only waited seven years, but she is quite older. Sophie waited 11 years, the Duchess of Kent waited 16 years, and the Duchess of Gloucester waited 17 years. So Catherine probably has at least 10 years to wait, unless the Queen dies before then. I think it's possible, that if the Queen dies before W&K have reached their 10th anniversary, that Charles will give Catherine the RVO not long after becoming King.

Charles will give Camilla the Garter when he's King and Catherine will receive the Garter from William when he's King. Unless we see W&K step up and become full fledged working members, then possibly Charles may give Catherine the Garter when he's King, but it's unlikely. Sure, he may want to do things his own way, but I think he's also very keenly aware of history and how things have been done. Albert received the Garter from his Queen, Alexandra received hers from her King, Mary from hers, and Elizabeth from hers. Philip was a unique case, true, but not so different from Albert, I think. It's just that at the time of Albert's marriage, his wife was already Queen. I believe Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles and Catherine from William, should they both become King.

also, the idea that Charles will have a short rule is possible, but considering that his father is in his 90s and he has had several family members live up to the 100s, Charles could rule for 20 years. If Elizabeth dies at 100 and Charles dies at 100, that still gives him a 20+ year rule. Not short by any means. Certainly we don't know what's in store, but genetics have shown that Liz and Charles could both live for quite a long time.
__________________
My facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/SignyCullen
Author of fiction novel Farther Side of Away, and non-fiction book about royalty If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
and that goes against history. Catherine probably won't get the RVO until at least 2020, at the earliest. Camilla only waited seven years, but she is quite older. Sophie waited 11 years, the Duchess of Kent waited 16 years, and the Duchess of Gloucester waited 17 years. So Catherine probably has at least 10 years to wait, unless the Queen dies before then. I think it's possible, that if the Queen dies before W&K have reached their 10th anniversary, that Charles will give Catherine the RVO not long after becoming King.

Charles will give Camilla the Garter when he's King and Catherine will receive the Garter from William when he's King. Unless we see W&K step up and become full fledged working members, then possibly Charles may give Catherine the Garter when he's King, but it's unlikely. Sure, he may want to do things his own way, but I think he's also very keenly aware of history and how things have been done. Albert received the Garter from his Queen, Alexandra received hers from her King, Mary from hers, and Elizabeth from hers. Philip was a unique case, true, but not so different from Albert, I think. It's just that at the time of Albert's marriage, his wife was already Queen. I believe Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles and Catherine from William, should they both become King.

also, the idea that Charles will have a short rule is possible, but considering that his father is in his 90s and he has had several family members live up to the 100s, Charles could rule for 20 years. If Elizabeth dies at 100 and Charles dies at 100, that still gives him a 20+ year rule. Not short by any means. Certainly we don't know what's in store, but genetics have shown that Liz and Charles could both live for quite a long time.
One must remember, there's no rule book on how long it takes for members of the royal family to receive these Orders. It's all made up by the family. Most likely Charles will award some honors to his daughter-in-law, as she would be Princess of Wales while he's on the throne.

I don't believe Catherine is too far off from receiving the RVO. The Order of the Garter may be far off, until Charles is on the throne, but the Orders that should be awarded to Catherine, Royal Family Order and later the Royal Victorian Order should be coming her way soon. She deserve a pat on the back, IMO.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 12-28-2014, 04:50 PM
GömdNatt's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
One must remember, there's no rule book on how long it takes for members of the royal family to receive these Orders. It's all made up by the family. Most likely Charles will award some honors to his daughter-in-law, as she would be Princess of Wales while he's on the throne.

I don't believe Catherine is too far off from receiving the RVO. The Order of the Garter may be far off, until Charles is on the throne, but the Orders that should be awarded to Catherine, Royal Family Order and later the Royal Victorian Order should be coming her way soon. She deserve a pat on the back, IMO.
There's no rule, but there's a consistency in the way the orders are handed out. If she doesn't have it already, Catherine will get the RFO in 2015. But no, the RVO is years away. To say she's earned it is far fetched. I like her as much as the next person, but she's not earned it. Not yet. A pat on the back is one thing, the RVO is another. It's a very esteemed order and for her to get it, she's going to have put in many more years of hard work. Sophie started out slow and then began putting in her time and she got it. Catherine will get it in due time, but I think it would be a huge mistake for her to get it before 2020, at the earliest, unless, as I said, she takes a huge step forward, which is possible.

You don't give out the RVO as a pat on the back, imo. It's a bit more important than that.
__________________
My facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/SignyCullen
Author of fiction novel Farther Side of Away, and non-fiction book about royalty If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,394
Again the 'earning' is in the eyes of the Queen. I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but William was made a Knight of the Garter at 25 while his uncles were in their 40s so its quite possible Catherine will receive the RVO sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
GömdNatt's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Again the 'earning' is in the eyes of the Queen. I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but William was made a Knight of the Garter at 25 while his uncles were in their 40s so its quite possible Catherine will receive the RVO sooner rather than later.
William is also the heir of the heir, his uncles are not. Charles was only 10 when he was given the Garter. Heirs live under different rules for the Garter.

Of course earning is in the eye of the Queen and what we've seen from others is that Catherine, likely, has a ways to go. Sure, it's entirely possible that Catherine will receive the RVO in 2016 or even in 2015. and it's entirely possible that HM will pass next year.

All I'm saying is that based on history, Catherine will not be getting the RVO any time soon, unless she really steps it up, which is possible.
__________________
My facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/SignyCullen
Author of fiction novel Farther Side of Away, and non-fiction book about royalty If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,394
Only the Prince of Wales is required to be a member of the Garter, not William but using the logic that William was made a knight because he is the heir to the heir, we can apply that to Catherine. She is in a different position to all other royal woman except Camilla.

Again I have no idea when Catherine will receive the RVO but I wouldn't be shocked if t came sooner rather than later given her position in the family
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday birthday wishes catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week president nieto; state visit prince alexander of sweden prince bernhard prince charles prince joachim princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sonja state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises