The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Camilla had to wait 7 years and Diana never got it - both worked more for their charities than Kate has done so far - so she hasn't done enough to earn it. She may do enough in time but other royals have had to work for a lot longer than barely 3 years to get this honour e.g. neither Charles nor Philip have it - yet.
agreed. I like Kate, but she's no where near the RVO yet. Sounds like the person on twitter doesn't have any clue of what's going on.

I would suggest that perhaps they meant Camilla is to get the Order of the Garter, but that's as ridiculous as Kate getting the RVO at this point.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I looked on Twitter when this first came up and there was a tweet from Royal Insight which said Duchess of Cornwall was getting the order but it seems to be gone now. They probably took it down because Camilla got it several years ago.

Philip got his Garter at the time of his wedding so he really didn't do anything to earn it at the time it was given. But he has earned several times over in the years that followed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

The only earning required is the Queen thinks you deserving. The fact someone receives an house order of chivalry means they've earned it in the eyes of the only person that matters, HMQ.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I looked on Twitter when this first came up and there was a tweet from Royal Insight which said Duchess of Cornwall was getting the order but it seems to be gone now. They probably took it down because Camilla got it several years ago.

Philip got his Garter at the time of his wedding so he really didn't do anything to earn it at the time it was given. But he has earned several times over in the years that followed.

Philip had long served the Crown in several ways before he married Elizabeth and he was marrying the future Queen in a much different time. He most certainly earned it. Mary received hers in 1910 (when she became Queen Consort), seven years after her marriage. The Queen Mother also received hers when she became Queen Consort.

I imagine we'll see the same for Camilla, I would be surprised if it came any sooner.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's not about earning the orders, The Queen awards them for personal reasons. Also, were talking about a future Queen here, not just any member of the royal family. Catherine is the only senior female member of the royal family that's up for honors.
I think the gongs that will probably be given out soon will be the RFO for Catherine, and possibly, the Garter for Camilla to coincide with their 10th wedding anniversary in 2015. That said, HM may decide that Camilla must wait for the Garter, and only get it from Charles when he is King, quite like the Queen Mother and Queen Mary did, when they became Queen.

Personally, I think Catherine is may years away from getting an RVO sash.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's not about earning the orders, The Queen awards them for personal reasons. Also, were talking about a future Queen here, not just any member of the royal family. Catherine is the only senior female member of the royal family that's up for honors.

I think Catherine may have already received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-26-2014, 04:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I think Catherine may have already received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

True, the Royal Family don't earn orders in the same way non-royals do. So, for the family it's like being given a nice piece of jewelry as an anniversary present or a gold watch as a long service gift. That's fine and, like you say, it's the Queen's prerogative but nobody should equate the awards worn by the family with those awarded to ordinary folk.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-26-2014, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Then she has not shown it yet, with pride, to the world....
Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
[....]
Stranger knights - will the Queen giv another to Netherlands? She should IMO.
Queen Juliana was made a Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when her mother Princess Wilhelmina (Queen from 1890-1948) was alive.

Queen Beatrix was made a Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when her mother Princess Juliana (Queen from 1948-1980) was alive.

King Willem-Alexander can be made a Royal Knight in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when his mother Princess Beatrix (Queen from 1980-2013) is still alive...

By the way, Princess Beatrix has three British decorations:

Dame Grand Cross in The Royal Victorian Order (1958)
The Royal Victorian Chain (1982)
Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter (1989)

Old 12-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the gongs that will probably be given out soon will be the RFO for Catherine, and possibly, the Garter for Camilla to coincide with their 10th wedding anniversary in 2015. That said, HM may decide that Camilla must wait for the Garter, and only get it from Charles when he is King, quite like the Queen Mother and Queen Mary did, when they became Queen.

Personally, I think Catherine is may years away from getting an RVO sash.
I would be very surprised to see Camilla get bumped up to the Garter only 3 years after getting the RVO.

I think Catherine might be getting the RFO in 2015, and then the RVO wouldn't be until either Charles becomes King or around 2020, whichever comes first. Sophie got hers in 2010 and I imagine if Camilla had been younger when she married Charles, it would have taken her a few more years before she got hers.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Philip had long served the Crown in several ways before he married Elizabeth and he was marrying the future Queen in a much different time. He most certainly earned it. Mary received hers in 1910 (when she became Queen Consort), seven years after her marriage. The Queen Mother also received hers when she became Queen Consort.

I imagine we'll see the same for Camilla, I would be surprised if it came any sooner.

Mary married George in 1893 so that would be 17 years of marriage before the Garter. Philip served the Crown in the Royal Navy but he wouldn't have gotten the Garter when he did if he was not marrying the King's eldest daughter just based on his naval service record.

Since the Queen hasn't given the garter to someone who married into the Royal family, Charles would most likely be the one to give the Garter to Camilla and may be more generous with the orders to other family members since he isn't going to have a super long time on the throne.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Serene Highness

If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Gentry

I wonder if QEII has not honoured some of the more recent monarchs (WA, Felipe, Henri etc) with further honours or the Garter because, perhaps she feels that it more fitting that Prince Charles should bestow these honours when he is King.

I think that HM will not bestow the Garter on Camilla or Catherine. She will leave this up to Charles.

I can see her honouring Catherine with the Royal Victorian Order and the her Royal Family Order, but not the more senior Garter of Thistle.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

Indeed, maybe she feels she needs to leave some monarchs for Charles to bestow honours on, especially as new monarchs don't come around very often.

I don't think Catherine will be honoured with the garter until at least Camilla does so I doubt the Queen will bestow the Garter on Catherine, maybe she will on Camilla.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Gentry

I agree Tommy100. HM has not bestowed the Garter (or Thistle) on any member of the BRF that is not "of the Blood Royal" (i.e. born with royal blood as opposed to marrying into the royal family) so it would not surprise me if Camilla does not receive the Garter until Charles is King (at which time, I would expect this to occur relatively quickly) and maybe The Duchess of Cambridge would receive it before Charles coronation. She may even have to wait until William becomes King???
Old 12-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I wonder if QEII has not honoured some of the more recent monarchs (WA, Felipe, Henri etc) with further honours or the Garter because, perhaps she feels that it more fitting that Prince Charles should bestow these honours when he is King.

I think that HM will not bestow the Garter on Camilla or Catherine. She will leave this up to Charles.

I can see her honouring Catherine with the Royal Victorian Order and the her Royal Family Order, but not the more senior Garter of Thistle.
Usually it takes a while before a foreign monarch receives the Garter, if they receive it at all. King Albert II of Belgium, for example, has never received the Garter during his reign. Part of this has probably to do with the fact that there hasn't been a state visit between the UK and Belgium during his reign, though Garters don't always get awarded during state visits (Queen Beatrix didn't receive hers during a state visit).

I think Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles once he is king. Same for Catherine.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm thinking the Garter Orders for Camilla and Catherine will be given upon Charles's succession.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
the Garter Orders for Camilla and Catherine will be given upon Charles's succession.
As I expect Henry's will be...
Old 12-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness

Highly unlikely the Queen will give Camilla any new honors but maybe something for the 10th anniversary.

I do hope that if Camilla has to wait until Charles' reign to receive the Order of the Garter that Catherine has to wait until William's reign.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Henry prefers to be called Harry

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order