The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highly unlikely the Queen will give Camilla any new honors but maybe something for the 10th anniversary.

I do hope that if Camilla has to wait until Charles' reign to receive the Order of the Garter that Catherine has to wait until William's reign.

I'm thinking that both Camilla and Catherine will receive their Garter Orders upon Charles's succession. Perhaps Harry as well.

Considering that Andrew and Edward didn't receive the Garter until 2006, I would be very shocked if Catherine receives the Garter before 2025 (especially since she's still likely years away from the RVO). Camilla will likely receive the Garter when Charles becomes King. Catherine will also likely receive the Garter when William becomes King.

I don't think we'll see Harry get the Garter until the 2020s, since Anne, Andrew, and Edward were all in their 40s when they got the Garter.

We don't know if Charles will be as tight with the orders as the Queen has been.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

We all tend to assume that how HMQ has handed out RFO's and other honours is how it will continue (or even how it's always been).

Prince Philip received his Order of the Garter from George VI the day before he married Princess Elizabeth in 1947.

Andrew and Edward may be The Queen's children but they are way down the line of succession. Camilla and Catherine are pretty much second and third ladies of the land and future Queen's. They will most likely become Knights of the Garter during Charles's reign and take their places in the procession next to their husbands.

Edward VII, George V and George VI all gave their Queens the Garter in the first year as King. As it was posted earlier Philip got his at the time of his wedding.

If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Grand Duke Jean is a garter knight and still alive. For W-A, Henri and Felipe maybe they have to wait for their parent who all have the Garter to pass so they can get it. I think Felipe has a lower British order already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward VII, George V and George VI all gave their Queens the Garter in the first year as King. As it was posted earlier Philip got his at the time of his wedding.

Yeah, they are usually invested during Garter Day.

Considering that Andrew and Edward didn't receive the Garter until 2006, I would be very shocked if Catherine receives the Garter before 2025 (especially since she's still likely years away from the RVO). Camilla will likely receive the Garter when Charles becomes King. Catherine will also likely receive the Garter when William becomes King.

I don't think we'll see Harry get the Garter until the 2020s, since Anne, Andrew, and Edward were all in their 40s when they got the Garter.

I think its important to remember that until the early 2000s Edward and Andrew were working on other things - Edward on his company, Andrew in the Navy. It was only after this that they started doing full time Royal duties. Part of the reason Anne may have been awarded the garter in 1994, nearly a decade before her younger brothers, was that she had been working for the 'firm' for longer and from much earlier on.

Remember that until Edward VII gave the garter to Alexandra it had been centuries since any woman had been given the garter and since then the Queen Consort has been given it by their husbands. I would hope that that tradition continues and that Camilla gets it from Charles when he is King and that Kate gets it from William when he is King.

No doubt George VI was following the example of Queen Victoria when granting the Garter to Philip before the wedding - as Victoria had also granted the Garter to Albert shorting before their marriage. George VI also gave Elizabeth the Garter the day before Philip so she would always be senior to him.

Last edited:
All but one of the stranger knights of the Garter appointed during the Queen's reign were appointed during a state or official visit, and in many cases it wasn't the first one, so I expect that the new monarchs will get it when (if) there are any opportunities. Assuming this trend stays the same, it's up to the Foreign Office (which decides what countries are a priority for state visits) as well as the Queen's ability to travel.

• 2001: King Harald V - Hosted the Queen on a state visit. He received the Royal Victorian Chain during his state visit to the UK in 1994. (I don't know how appropriate the Garter would have been on that occasion, as I believe he was hosted in Edinburgh like his father was.)
  • 1998: Emperor Akihito - State visit to the UK.
  • 1989: Queen Beatrix - Official visit to London, commemorating the 300th anniversary of the accession of William and Mary. She received the Royal Victorian Chain during her state visit to the UK in 1982.
  • 1988: King Juan Carlos I - Hosted the Queen on a state visit. He received the Royal Victorian Chain when he went on a state visit to the UK in 1986.
  • 1983: King Carl XVI Gustaf - Hosted the Queen on a state visit. He received the Royal Victorian Chain during his state visit to the UK in 1975.
  • 1979: Queen Margrethe II - Hosted the Queen on a state visit. She received the Royal Victorian Chain during her state visit to the UK in 1974.
  • 1972: Grand Duke Jean - State visit to the UK.
  • 1963: King Paul - State visit to the UK.
  • 1963: King Baudouin - State visit to the UK.
  • 1959: King Olav V - This doesn't appear to have been in conjunction with any specific event, certainly not a state visit. Later, in 1962, his state visit was to Edinburgh, and he became the only foreign knight of the Order of the Thistle. Edit: I found part of an article stating that he went on a "private visit" to London in 1959.
  • 1958: Queen Juliana - Hosted the Queen on a state visit. She received the Royal Victorian Chain during her state visit to the UK in 1950.
  • 1954: Emperor Haile Selassie - State visit to the UK.
  • 1954: King Gustaf VI Adolf - State visit to the UK.

Last edited:
Remember that until Edward VII gave the garter to Alexandra it had been centuries since any woman had been given the garter and since then the Queen Consort has been given it by their husbands. I would hope that that tradition continues and that Camilla gets it from Charles when he is King and that Kate gets it from William when he is King.

No doubt George VI was following the example of Queen Victoria when granting the Garter to Philip before the wedding - as Victoria had also granted the Garter to Albert shorting before their marriage. George VI also gave Elizabeth the Garter the day before Philip so she would always be senior to him.

I think it's unlikely Catherine will be attending Charles's Coronation without her Order of the Garter. She'll most likely be wearing the Order, along with the Royal Family Orders of Queen Elizabeth II and Charles III.

In connection with Dman's comment earlier about Catherine having perhaps alreadcy receieved The Queen's RFO, I must admit that I would like to see Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie, Lousie, Catherine and Autumn all receive HM's RFO.

There has been no visual proof that any of her granddaughters or granddaughters-in-law have received her RFO so a whole generation of her family could be skipped over.

This seems very unlikey to me as HM has such a keen sense and interest in history.

I so much enjoy seeing pictures of the older gererations wearing their RFO.
While it can get a bit cluttered when they pile them on, it still is a lovely link to the past and I know HM wears her father's and gradfather's with much pride. I would hope that she would allow the younger generations to do the same. In the latest round of documentaries her grandchildren speak so glowingly of her and I am sure that they would wear her RFO with much pride and honour.

I for one hope that they are given such an opportunity.

Attachments

• Orders - RFO Geo V - Pns Alice Glouc best.jpg
    Orders - RFO Geo V - Pns Alice Glouc best.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Orders - RFO Geo V - Pns Marg best.jpg
    Orders - RFO Geo V - Pns Marg best.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 689
  • Orders - RFO QEII - Marina Dch of Kent best.jpg
    Orders - RFO QEII - Marina Dch of Kent best.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 213
I think it's unlikely Catherine will be attending Charles's Coronation without her Order of the Garter. She'll most likely be wearing the Order, along with the Royal Family Orders of Queen Elizabeth II and Charles III.

Queen Mary went to her father-in-law's coronation without the Order of the Garter and she was in the same position that Kate will be in at Charles' coronation - that of the wife of the heir apparent.

I think it would be nicer for William to be able to invest his own wife rather than have his father do it anyway.

In connection with Dman's comment earlier about Catherine having perhaps alreadcy receieved The Queen's RFO, I must admit that I would like to see Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie, Lousie, Catherine and Autumn all receive HM's RFO.

There has been no visual proof that any of her granddaughters or granddaughters-in-law have received her RFO so a whole generation of her family could be skipped over.

As the only time they do get to wear all of this stuff is at State Occasions and there are so very few of those it really isn't all that relevant - two incoming State Banquets per year and the State Opening of Parliament that only The Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla now attend (unlike the old days when every HRH attended).

Until the next generation start attending State Banquets and they aren't needed yet and it would only be William and Kate and Harry and spouse anyway I suspect then the others won't need be seen with it if they are ever given it.

I don't think Beatrice and Eugenie will attend formal state occasions at all as they aren't needed in this reign and they won't be needed or wanted in the next or the one after that.

This seems very unlikey to me as HM has such a keen sense and interest in history.

I so much enjoy seeing pictures of the older gererations wearing their RFO.
While it can get a bit cluttered when they pile them on, it still is a lovely link to the past and I know HM wears her father's and gradfather's with much pride. I would hope that she would allow the younger generations to do the same. In the latest round of documentaries her grandchildren speak so glowingly of her and I am sure that they would wear her RFO with much pride and honour.

I for one hope that they are given such an opportunity.

Hope this is the right place: P Marina seems to be wearing 4 RFOs. George V' George VI and Elizabeth II. Is the 4th one Edward VIII (unlikely) or one from her own family?

You are probably right Iluvbertie! It seems appropriate for a king to bestow the honour of his consort.

One think that may need to be taken into consideration is that Charles' reign will most likely be noteably shorter than his mother's. He therefore may quicken the pace of his honours.

I think that the links to past generations through these honours helps to stengthen the continuity of the "institution" - something I feel of which HM's generation is quite aware (but maybe not so much the younger set).

Hope this is the right place: P Marina seems to be wearing 4 RFOs. George V' George VI and Elizabeth II. Is the 4th one Edward VIII (unlikely) or one from her own family?

Cepe, the 4th honour is actually her Brooch of the Imperila Order of the Crown of India.

In fact, The Duchess of Gloucester and Pricncess Margaret are wearinfg their's too.

Attachments

• Orders - Crown of India - a Bow.jpg
    Orders - Crown of India - a Bow.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,040
I think one of Marina's is the badge of an Royal order not a family order. The first one of Margaret is a Royal order too.

There are other Royal orders that can be given before the garter.

Cepe, the 4th honour is actually her Brooch of the Imperila Order of the Crown of India.

In fact, The Duchess of Gloucester and Pricncess Margaret are wearinfg their's too.

Thank you - you have eyes like a hawk. :flowers:

Off topic but I've always liked the fact that Prince Philip wore his Greek order on his wedding day despite attempts by courtiers to make him thoroughly English

Last edited:
There will be honors William will award his wife, but I think it's Charles that will invest Catherine with the Garter.

I think it's impressive that Camilla, Catherine and other royal ladies will several royal family orders from The Queen, Charles, and William.

We won't know if Catherine have the royal family order until she attends a state banquet or the reception for the diplomatic corps.

Last edited:
I think Harry is more likely to get the Garter from Charles than Kate. No one who married in other than the consort has the Garter. It's also possible the Charles outlives Camilla so she doesn't get a family order from William. Kate is in line for 3 maybe even four family orders.

What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks

What happens to honors when a person dies? Have any come up for sale?

Example: Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood.
Where are her honors & orders?

Princess Margaret's family sold some of her jewels, did they sell any of her orders?

Thanks

I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.

I know that the Orders of the Garter, Thistle etc are returned as it is mentioned in the CC when the order of the deceased member is returned after their passing.

Grand Duke Jean is a garter knight and still alive. For W-A, Henri and Felipe maybe they have to wait for their parent who all have the Garter to pass so they can get it. I think Felipe has a lower British order already.

Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.

If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Usually a Royal Knight or Royal Lady is appointed after a State Visit has been made to the UK. This can take a few years anyway. King Albert II of the Belgians never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg never made a State Visit to the United Kingdom. They are the only ones of the European Sovereigns (bar the usual exceptions of Monaco, Liechtenstein and the Vatican) whom have no Order of the Garter.

Queen Beatrix received her Garter when her mother, Queen Juliana, was still alive. So Willem-Alexander, Philippe, Felipe and Henri don't have to ' wait' before their parents pass away.

And Queen Juliana received her Order of the Garter when her mother, Queen Wilhelmina, was still alive (1958).

Picture: Queen Juliana with the Garter insignia and Princess Beatrix with the Royal Victorian Order (1958)

:flowers:

I think they go back to the royal family...or am I thinking of Denmark? The Order of the Elephant is returned once a recipient dies.

Not always. Recently a collar of this Order (the elephant pendant was removed, apparently the seller wanted to keep it) was offered for sale at Lauritz.com, here a picture of the offered collar.

:flowers:

Knights Commander Cross (KCVO) of the Royal Victorian Order, No. 1089, can currently be had on eBay for $AU1,000.

I think that with most of the honours, the collars (for sure) and the stars (in most cases) have to be returned on death. The other (less expensive) parts of the regalia can be retined by the recipient's family. Each order has its own directive in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom