The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Nobility

We don't know about younger members of the family. They do not attend events where the RFO would be worn. You only know someone has it when you see them wear it.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
We don't know about younger members of the family. They do not attend events where the RFO would be worn. You only know someone has it when you see them wear it.
That is true. What I should have said is that we don't yet know that Catherine or Autumn has it.

I believe, for Sarah though, we can say she didn't get it.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

HMQ has never been known for being generous in handing out honours within her gift, and there was some surprise that the Duchess of Cornwall received the GCVO so soon!

As for Catherine, I would say nothing received as yet, perhaps after the birth.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Serene Highness

We can ad that two others extrovert, much-publicized and sometimes controversial figures of the RF received nothing from HM : Sarah Duchess of York and Princess Michael of Kent.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Although there are numerous articles at the time saying that Charles basically begged the Queen to give Camilla the GCVO because he was embarrassed that other senior royal woman have multiple orders (Sophie has the Order of St John in addition to her GCVO)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Courtier

I have heard that her and Sophie are close and is The Queen favorite Daughter-In-Law. Not saying she is playing favorites but could be why she got it pretty quick.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Courtier

After 2 tours and a blemish-free 2 years, I would be surprised if Kate didnt already have QEII's family order. She just has not yet had the opportunity to wear it publicly. I think all in all, HM is well aware of her advancing years and is taking care to see that appropirate acknoweldgements are made all around. I expect Harry to be made a Knight of the Garter either this year or next (30th bday would be appropriate). I think giving Camilla the GCVO was partially at Charles encouragement, and part of the plan of her increasing profile and role. If we know anything about the BRF, they are planners - very few things are left to chance.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I have heard that her and Sophie are close and is The Queen favorite Daughter-In-Law. Not saying she is playing favorites but could be why she got it pretty quick.
Yeah, The Queen is pretty close to Sophie. I just think she is trying to give her current daughters-in-law a deserved pat on the back for their hard work now. The Queen just didn't do it back in the day.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Although there are numerous articles at the time saying that Charles basically begged the Queen to give Camilla the GCVO because he was embarrassed that other senior royal woman have multiple orders
Not numerous BUT only one article, from the Daily Mail :

Frantic pleas by Charles, an honour from Her Majesty and a question... Is 'Dame' Camilla now a step closer to becoming Queen? | Mail Online

It woul be, indeed, quite innocent to believe that the GCVO granted to Camilla was not part of the "transitional monarchy" plan. But i still think there is some level of acknowledgment from HM regarding Camilla's attitude since 2005.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...We can ad that two others extrovert, much-publicized and sometimes controversial figures of the RF received nothing from HM : Sarah Duchess of York and Princess Michael of Kent.
Unlike Prince Charles, Prince Michael chose a somewhat better wife, who can be a controversial figure, but knows how to preserve the marriage. Princess Michael does not have this order and will not have it for the reasons known to Elizabeth II.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Catherine will be given the RFO for a while yet, but you never know! Sophie got it in 2004 after the birth if Louise and it was first seen in Mary and Fred's wedding May 2004. When did Camilla receive the RFO?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
...When did Camilla receive the RFO?
Well, I think Camilla was first pictured with the Order in 2007. So two years after her marriage. The Duchess of Cambridge have been married into the royal family for two years. Then again, we won't know if she have the Royal Family Order until she attends an event where the Order is worn.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

These are the dates for Camilla's honours

30 October 2007: Member of the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II

9 April 2012: Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)[141]

3 November 2012: Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia (CSM)[142]

As she got married in 2005, the RFO was quick.

source: Wikipedia.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Majesty

Do anyone think The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will get The Order of Merit at some point?

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Do anyone think The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will get The Order of Merit at some point?
Order of Merit is far far more precious than Order of Garter. (Just have a look at the people who got it). And moreover, there are no convenient categories in it like Extras/Companions etc. to sneak everyone in
I am sure William will be be given that, but wait.. not now, very much well into Charles' reign. Forget Harry getting it.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posts discussing Diana's Royal Orders have been moved to the Diana's Royal Orders thread.
Posts discussing the Order of the Garter have been moved to the Order of the Garter thread.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Majesty

William may get it in the reign of Charles and if not will Head the Order in time.

Harry probably never - Charles had to wait for it and is the only one of the Queen's children to have it.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think any member of the BRF who receives the OM will have to have demonstrated some sort of success/contribution to society beyond merely being a royal, and that success will have to have received public acknowledgement such as the Duke of Edinburgh Awards or the Princes Trust. Getting it for merely being a prince would diminish the honour for the other recipients who have achieved great things through their own work.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Majesty

William & Harry have achieved great things through their work.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly William and Harry have barely touched the surface.

Philip has it because the Queen wanted him to have it ( or maybe military service) and Charles because he is the next Monarch.

To get it you must have given distinguished service in the armed forces, art, literature, science or the promotion of culture.

No one else in the BRF have done this - you are supposed to be the BEST at what you do.

I really appreciate what William and Harry do, but they don't qualify, yet.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order