The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with Diana's (now her son's) jewelry.

LaRae

After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?

She only gave it to Philip in 2017 and still hasn't given this award to either Charles or William. It is largely one she gives to minor royals but in 2017 and again now she has decided to give it to a major royal but still not the two most senior after herself - her son and grandson - who obviously haven't done enough 'personal service' to warrant it and it took Philip 70 years as husband and 65 as consort before he was granted it. 8 years seems way too soon to me.

After ONLY eight years? I feel that Queen Elizabeth II is far too mean with these family orders. What is the Queen trying to prove? Also, is this Order linked to Princess Diana's jewellery not really being seen in public?
Queen Elizabeth is not mean, merely fair. This order is bestowed when she considers that the recipient has well and truly earned it and to be honest the younger royal generation were total slackards. While Catherine has done some engagements she really didn't up her game until William became a full-time royal.

https://writeroyalty.com/royal-work-statistics-2018-annual-edition/

The late Diana's personal jewellery was left to her sons to be shared between their wives. The jewellery that is in the Queen's keeping is hers and she allows items to be worn at her discretion and in accordance with the status of the wearer.

The Victorian order is very different then the family order. And yes, 8 years is quick compared to many of the other women married in. Heck, even her own family by blood, took time to get. Andrew and Edward got it in 2011.

-Duchess of Kent- married in 1961 got in 1977-16 years
-Duchess of Gloucester- married in 1972 got in 1989-17 years
-Sophie-married in 1999 got it in 2010-11 years
-Camilla- married 2005 got it in 2012- 7 years
-Tim- married in 1992 got it in 2011- 19 years

Neither Diana or Sarah ever received the order.

And I don't know what the RVO would have to do with Diana and her jewels being seen or not. Diana didn't have the RVO, and even if she did, its not a piece of jewelry someone would just wear. Its not like it would be left to her sons and one of her daughter in laws would wear it to dinner like her earrings.

I want to continue to express my happiness for Catherine on receiving the appointment to The Royal Victorian Order, but I just don’t know what to say.

What an honor, what an achievement.

This news does deserve a big word to describe it and I've not used it in a while here. Its supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!! Now will someone please give Dman a hot cup of chamomile tea to bring him back down to earth please? :D

I think most of us that have followed this thread for a while pretty much know that the Queen does hold Kate in high regards. Actually, I think right now, the Queen is quite happy and content with *all* of her family members and with the way the monarchy is going.

She only gave it to Philip in 2017 and still hasn't given this award to either Charles or William. It is largely one she gives to minor royals but in 2017 and again now she has decided to give it to a major royal but still not the two most senior after herself - her son and grandson - who obviously haven't done enough 'personal service' to warrant it and it took Philip 70 years as husband and 65 as consort before he was granted it. 8 years seems way too soon to me.

I think it's difficult to compare with Philip, Charles and William. They all got the higher and highest order at the very beginning, which RVO (or other lower order) is not really that necessary for them. Especially for Philip, it's more like she was honoring her husband's contribution by completing his collection of orders, kind of like a retirement gift if you ask me.

Eight years is quite understandable and reasonable if comparing to other royal spouses.

There is a service for the order this Friday 3rd May, where we should expect to see Catherine.

Apparently, the service for the Royal Victorian Order is private. This would mean that we won’t see any photos of Catherine on Friday. Can anyone find photos from previous services?

Apparently, the service for the Royal Victorian Order is private. This would mean that we won’t see any photos of Catherine on Friday. Can anyone find photos from previous services?

Sadly, the service at St. George’s is private. We don’t get a chance to see The Queen and the members of the Order in their mantles, collar, sash and badges. It don’t hurt to hope we get a picture of the reception.

Last edited:
I know. It would be fantastic to be able to see Catherine in her insignia and vestment as Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order. There’s a procession and everything.

Even a photo of two would keep us all content,I wonder if the duchess will wear white gloves?

Even a photo of two would keep us all content,I wonder if the duchess will wear white gloves?

A picture would be great. I’ve tried to find a picture of any of the royals at this service in the past and I can’t find anything. There’s a small and grainy picture of William posing in his Garter robes in 2008, but it was never officially released. I guess the only time we’ll get to see Catherine in her Victorian Order is at the upcoming US State Visit, fall State Visit and Diplomatic Corps Reception.

Last edited:
The service for the RVO is only held every 4 years at St. George's Chapel and robes are not worn. I saw a picture years ago of Anne and the DOG leaving the chapel afterwards and they were just wearing suits and hats with their RVO stars on their coats. I don't know why they don't wear the robes as they are lovely.

Last edited:
The service for the RVO is only held every 4 years at St. George's Chapel and robes are not worn. I saw a picture years ago of Anne and the DOG leaving the chapel afterwards and they were just wearing suits and hats with their RVO stars on their coats. I don't know why they don't wear the robes as they are lovely.

Perhaps they wear the robes when they’re investing new members.

The mantle of the Royal Victorian Order is rarely used at all. I'm not sure it's ever worn other than at coronations. The order didn't even start holding regular services until the 1970s.

Edit: Hugo Vickers mentioned in his book Royal Orders that the knights and dames grand cross were robed at the first two services, but doesn't give any other details, other than to say that the Queen wore day clothes with no insignia at all. The Queen Mother (the grand master of the order) wore the Royal Victorian Chain on her coat, which I take to mean that she was also not robed.

Last edited:
The order has come as a bit of surprise - I was expecting maybe it given at the 10year marriage mark esp considering for the first number of years Kate was not a full working royal and also had 3 pregnancies. Nevertheless it is a great honour for her and will be nice to see the addition of the order at formal events.

I don't believe the Queen is mean at all. This is her personal order that she alone can give without anyone telling her to whom or when. It is her decision. Period. Catherine is now considered a fulltime Royal member of the firm and has recently stepped up and has done her job extremely well. If she received this brilliant order a few years back while people were yelling she was lazy and did nothing but wait to marry William, people would be screaming out of the other side of their mouths that she didn't deserve.

As far as Diana's jewelry, all Diana's personal jewelry were left to her two sons to divide whenever. The Queen only has a say on her personal jewelry and of course the Royal State collections. This honor has absolutely nothing to do with Diana or her jewels.

Just to add onto a little bit to Winnie's explanation, the Royal Victorian Order is totally different and separate from the Royal Family Order.

The Royal Victorian Order is given by the Queen at her will and pleasure. It recognises distinguished personal service to the monarch of the Commonwealth realms, members of the monarch's family, or to any viceroy or senior representative of the monarch. Its not a "family" thing.

However, the Royal Family Order is a decoration conferred by the head of a royal family to their female relations. Its a personal memento and not necessarily based on any kind of merit but because the Queen's will and pleasure deems it.

This is fantastic news for Catherine.

I've just read that Catherines personal assistant, Natasha Archer, was appointed a member of RVO in the Queens New Years Honours. She's the wife of Getty Images photographer Chris Jackson.

The order has come as a bit of surprise - I was expecting maybe it given at the 10year marriage mark esp considering for the first number of years Kate was not a full working royal and also had 3 pregnancies. Nevertheless it is a great honour for her and will be nice to see the addition of the order at formal events.

Perhaps the Queen wanted to make sure she was able to award Kate ...and realizes due to her age she might not want to wait another 2 years or so.

LaRae

I've just read that Catherines personal assistant, Natasha Archer, was appointed a member of RVO in the Queens New Years Honours. She's the wife of Getty Images photographer Chris Jackson.

Yes, she did but Catherine received the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO {GCVO} which is the highest "rank" of the order. One of the spokesmen on the BBC stated that this order is now one step higher than even Prince Harry. Since I actually don't know the pecking order to all these orders and medals I am asking all on here if this is actually true or a bit of fake news to stir the pot between the two families by the media. Thank you in advance.

I feel like Kate has really found her groove in the last six months or so, and I’ve seen commentary along those lines from a number of corners. She’s developed a strong focus on the deep needs of vulnerable children and come into her own in terms of putting those children at the center of her appearances. I like to think the Queen must look for moments like this when she sees a real blossoming of talent as the time to bestow orders, as a way of recognizing those subtle but vital points of growth in her family team.

Yes, she did but Catherine received the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO {GCVO} which is the highest "rank" of the order. One of the spokesmen on the BBC stated that this order is now one step higher than even Prince Harry. Since I actually don't know the pecking order to all these orders and medals I am asking all on here if this is actually true or a bit of fake news to stir the pot between the two families by the media. Thank you in advance.

Both Catherine (2019) and Harry (2015) now received the Victorian Order, however, within that order there is an distinction in rank. Catherine received the highest rank and Harry the second highest rank. William has not (yet?) received this order (which is not surprising as he already has two higher orders (Charles is not a Knight Grand Cross of this specific order either); just like the Countess of Wessex received hers before her husband received his (as Edward was already KG); moreover, the Duke of Edinburgh only received his upon their wedding anniversary in 2017).

5 ranks:
Knight/Dame Grand Cross (GCVO) => Catherine (and most other family members that received the order)
Knight/Dame Commander (KCVO/DCVO) => Harry
Commander (CVO)
Lieutenant (LVO)
Member (MVO)

List of current GCVO's can be found on Wikipedia.

I wonder whether Charles intends to make Harry the Grand Master of the Order of Bath when he ascends the throne (which would most likely be known to the queen). It seems a fitting order for Harry as it is a military order and the position has previously also at times been 'held' by younger sons. However, when it became vacant last time (in 1974) Andrew and Edward were still minors; otherwise Andrew would have been a likely choice imo.

Last edited:

Its pretty common for upper staff of senior royals, when they leave their post, to receive the honor. Michael Peat (private secretary to Charles) and Geidt (secretary to the queen) both received knight grand cross when they left. Natasha received the MVO, the lowest rank but still a honor. Natasha has been with the royal household since 2007.

I wonder whether Charles intends to make Harry the Grand Master of the Order of Bath when he ascends the throne (which would most likely be known to the queen). It seems a fitting order for Harry as it is a military order and the position has previously also at times been 'held' by younger sons. However, when it became vacant last time (in 1974) Andrew and Edward were still minors; otherwise Andrew would have been a likely choice imo.

Likewise I wouldn't be hugely surprised if one of Andrew, Edward, William, or Harry was appointed Grand Master of the Order of the British Empire in succession to the Duke of Edinburgh sometime between now and the next service.

Kate's is the highest level. Harry's is second highest.

Kate's is the highest level. Harry's is second highest.

And that makes sense to me, as Kate will one day be Queen Consort, whereas with time, Harry's proximity to the throne and relative importance will only diminish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom