The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree with Palmer that the KP set needs to take a leaf out of the CH book and be more accessible. Harry was very good about that IMO up until the last 1.5 years where he seems to have shut down more. I do not think it has been to his benefit. I thoroughly enjoy Camilla's engagements because she makes comments to the press and allows for interaction. It makes for good copy.

But, as I have been following Palmer's twitter discussion, I've become increasingly more frustrated. I believe for far too long many royal reporters have been rather lazy in their approach, looking for the hot takes or relying only on the KP briefings instead of actually working for a story. I do not mean they should only be discussing fluff or positive stories, but that they should be doing more substantive journalism. Royal stories are riddled with inaccuracies that casual royal watchers can spot. There is little effort to try to dig deeper into the issues the royals are promoting. I exclude Rhiannon and Royah from this because I do think their reporting interesting.

Instead, they have defaulted to the likes of the Markles and baseless speculation. The Markles were newsy when they first showed the dysfunction. But now? They are mere observers like the rest of us with no insight. Why give them copy? Palmer's whining was very unbecoming. Either you want to be a journalist or a gossip blogger. Threatening to only write negative stories if you do not get better access? What are the royal reporters children who don't get their cake? I know not all royal journalists are this way, but Palmer can especially be whiny and so can Rebecca English when folks call them out on their crap.

He also used MORTON of all people as a reliable source and than lashed out at people who very reasonably pointed out he was wrong about Meghan having 0 pre-Suits friends at the wedding. He was dead wrong about that but refused t be corrected.

And I side-eye his "well we only print what is newsy." The same excuse of "newsworthiness" was trotted out when papers blasted images of Kate's dress flying up on engagements. That isn't newsy, its sexist and violating. And the nitpicking and dog whistles against Meghan are racist, sexist. I call BS on the whole line he was using. It isn't ok with Kate and it isn't ok with Meghan either. Those stories or images do nothing to promote a free press or to advance information/accountability. They are there to be salacious and appeal to the basest readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the complaining from the press recently do we as watchers really feel any effects of this reported lack of access? To me it doesn't seem like we are getting less photos or information than we regularly do about any other senior members of the royal family.

I have no doubt behind closed doors the Sussexes are not happy with the media for giving the Markles their current platform but professionally this lack of access compliant hasn't resulted in any gap of coverage, photos, or information. The press are still invited to events and given all the relevant information.

What more are the media asking for at this point?

They, including Richard Palmer, are hoping for a comment that might be considered controversial from Meghan, something from the newest member of the RF that will 'enliven' any article, will cause comment, help with the clicks. At base tabloid newspapers aren't interested in Royal engagements that go like clockwork, anodyne remarks that no-one could take offence to. They are interested in Meghan simply because she and Harry might provide interesting stories that will create a spark, negative usually, among their readers.

Closed for moderator review.

Speaking of pre-tour receptions. Does anyone have any info about pre-tour receptions? Are the royals also involved in this reception?

I know Arthur was complaining on a recent radio interview about how they feel there is the lack of access to Meghan and photographers have requested to see Meghan before the Oceania tour.

It's unclear whether he meant a private off the record meeting with her or a pre-tour reception.

I know the the Charles and Camilla do pre-reception tours often and I am not sure of the Cambridges

Speaking of pre-tour receptions. Does anyone have any info about pre-tour receptions? Are the royals also involved in this reception?

I know Arthur was complaining on a recent radio interview about how they feel there is the lack of access to Meghan and photographers have requested to see Meghan before the Oceania tour.

It's unclear whether he meant a private off the record meeting with her or a pre-tour reception.

I know the the Charles and Camilla do pre-reception tours often and I am not sure of the Cambridges

The press will have plenty of opportunity to get pictures of Meghan with three upcoming events. As for her not talking to the media KP is not risking her being exposed to gotcha questions about the Markles.

KP is actually doing what its supposed to be doing. The media complains that they cannot hear anything Meghan has to say. The truth is that anything that Meghan or Harry or any royal has to say when on an engagement will be in relation to what they are doing, why they are there and for the purpose of bringing that event to the forefront. KP issues a press release to the media regarding the event and to be honest, the event should be the sole purpose of any media's coverage.

The media is being allowed to cover the event. Its not a press conference where Meghan is expected to answer press questions. The media is being shown a courtesy but in my eyes, its poor form to complain about a courtesy being extended. Its called getting an inch and wanting a mile. Those that are there for the sole purpose of trying to get a reaction or statement from Meghan in relation to anything outside of the purpose for which she is there in first place don't deserve to be extended courtesies.

I think there are a lot of people in the media out there who complain about any access/lack of access and will never be happy.
But when someone like Arthur Edwards who has spent 40+ years covering the royals says things are changing that is worth noting. He has covered the Queen, Charles, Diana etc and it is clear that KP are changing the 'rules' as to how things usually happen and having less contact with the media outside of attending public events.

I do know that Arthur Edwards has always been a very respected member of the press corps that have followed the BRF for decades and I don't take his words lightly. He, of all reporters/photographers, would be among the first to notice a real change in how things are done.

Perhaps he *is* right on the money. If I'm not mistaken, the PR staff at KP which Edwards is complaining about deal primarily with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Perhaps what we are seeing as changes in how the media is treated through KP is actually the aftermath somewhat of the Diana years. Both William and Harry are adamant on drawing the red lines in the sand between what is public and what is private and they're taking their own measures to assure that those lines are never crossed. They are protecting not only themselves, but their wives and their families from unwarranted press intrusions. KP staffs acts on behalf of their royals and not the other way around.

The recent surge of attention being played out in the press to Meghan's e(strange)d family didn't help matters at all either. If anything, it gives credence to William and Harry not only drawing red lines in the sand but actually putting up fences with barbed wire to protect those red lines to clearly state what is and what isn't acceptable from the media.

Can we really blame them? I sure can't.

I do know that Arthur Edwards has always been a very respected member of the press corps that have followed the BRF for decades and I don't take his words lightly. He, of all reporters/photographers, would be among the first to notice a real change in how things are done.

Perhaps he *is* right on the money. If I'm not mistaken, the PR staff at KP which Edwards is complaining about deal primarily with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Perhaps what we are seeing as changes in how the media is treated through KP is actually the aftermath somewhat of the Diana years. Both William and Harry are adamant on drawing the red lines in the sand between what is public and what is private and they're taking their own measures to assure that those lines are never crossed. They are protecting not only themselves, but their wives and their families from unwarranted press intrusions. KP staffs acts on behalf of their royals and not the other way around.

The recent surge of attention being played out in the press to Meghan's e(strange)d family didn't help matters at all either. If anything, it gives credence to William and Harry not only drawing red lines in the sand but actually putting up fences with barbed wire to protect those red lines to clearly state what is and what isn't acceptable from the media.

Can we really blame them? I sure can't.

The problem is-the BRF does need the legitimate press/photographers to be on their side. So if KP is looking on them the same as the paparazzi/tabloid press and treating them poorly, they lose allies and the close personal connection that is important.
People like Arthur or Chris Jackson (or former royal photographer Tim Graham) are not the problem. And to treat the folks that behave decently and write real news with a bit of personal to make the BRF come alive, as the same as those that hide in bushes or write gossipy articles filled with innuendo or worse is not right and not the answer to the problem.

Maybe we can move this discussion to the correct thread so we can continue it and not be off topic. I think it is worthy of discussion.

I agree. Perhaps the Royal Family and the Media is more appropriate for this discussion?

The pre-tour Reception with some members of the media will happen not too long before the tour kicks off. The Cambridge’s have done these receptions too. Yes, they are off the record.

The problem is-the BRF does need the legitimate press/photographers to be on their side. So if KP is looking on them the same as the paparazzi/tabloid press and treating them poorly, they lose allies and the close personal connection that is important.
People like Arthur or Chris Jackson (or former royal photographer Tim Graham) are not the problem. And to treat the folks that behave decently and write real news with a bit of personal to make the BRF come alive, as the same as those that hide in bushes or write gossipy articles filled with innuendo or worse is not right and not the answer to the problem.
Arthur's employer, The Sun, however is a problem. Also, you can't just be selective about who you block out. Everyone is treated the same, and that's what some of them don't like. The complaint is specifically about Meghan, yet I don't believe she's kept further from them than any of the other young royals. She's not out as much right now, but that'll change come fall.

Some of the comments have given some indication as to why this is happening. It is claimed that they are being kept further away from Meghan compared to before the wedding. So perhaps they should go back and see all that's published and understand why. And btw, Meghan was not kept from the photographers at Ireland despite what Richard Palmer tries to say. The photographers did have access there. We saw the pictures. The photographers are whining because of the lack of access to the front steps at the wedding and the polo game. They got the pictures they wanted, yet it's not enough because they want to stalk her at the lunch.

Last edited:

They actually whined about not getting to observe Harry and Meghan eating lunch??!! They are getting really creepy. When Meghan and Harry first started they actually shook hands and said hi to the reporters but apparently the access only led to articles about Meghan breaking protocol or Meghan being too hollywood because she looked in their direction or Meghan being too huggy wuggy. Or the papers would take the photogs pictures and only choose the least flattering photos.

So because Meghan took one selfie their accused her of being too Hollywood and turning the royal family into a reality show. Which is funny because the same people who whined about the reality show are upset because they don't have access to Meghan??!!

So because they are'nt given full reign to manipulate and bash Meghan they will support a false narrative in order to get revenge and also manipulate and bash Meghan. It is not ethical.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking.

TBH, I think we need to remember that the online versions of most of these papers are much, much less reliable than the printed versions.

The printed versions usually contain stories from their first-string reporters. Make no mistake, those first stringers have relationships, access, and a lot of knowledge. They get invited to the Palace for pre-tour receptions. They do know people.

Then you get the online folk, whose entire job is seeing something online, repackaging it, and then slapping it up on the web for clicks. If you see stories that are wildly contradictory, 9/10 they'll be from the online string of reporters.

So it's not so much that the Sun changed their mind. The online Sun was tossing up anything they could find over the weekend. Then today, the print Sun in all likelihood published the story they felt they could verify as credible.

It's one thing to be skeptical and critical of sources; we should all do that. But part of that is recognizing actual expertise and not painting all reporters with a broad brush, or asserting that a mistake invalidate's a reporter's credibility.

Arthur's employer, The Sun, however is a problem. Also, you can't just be selective about who you block out. Everyone is treated the same, and that's what some of them don't like. The complaint is specifically about Meghan, yet I don't believe she's kept further from them than any of the other young royals.

Jacqui, Hel's post explains the situation very well.

You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

And yes, they are keeping reporters further away from Meghan more now, most likely to protect her from intrusive questions about her father.

Last edited:
Jacqui, Hel's post explains the situation very well. You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

And yes, they are keeping reporters further away from Meghan more now, most likely to protect her from intrusive questions about her father.

Doing so would backfire. Don’t think anyone would abuse the opportunity by asking about her dad. It’s all about getting to know the new senior royal.

Doing so would backfire. Don’t think anyone would abuse the opportunity by asking about her dad. It’s all about getting to know the new senior royal.

Funny how they had months to do that, and we had article after another about broken protocols, not really about the new senior royal.

I wouldn't trust them an inch. They can get pics when they are out doing their official engagements. Past that leave them alone.

LaRae

You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

Seriously, these reporters are too much. I get it, it's their job but bothering someone and intruding in their private life is pure harassment. For the outside world, life a royal is all glitters and gold but one can imagine how they keep themselves together when people are running after them holding cameras.

Special access are only granted on limited basis. NOT on regular engagements. For example, Roya and Rhiannon both have had exclusive interviews, but that's not done at regular engagements where they get access, but not others. There are times when there is a planned door stop to allow them ask a question if there are major events with other royals. And if they started giving special treatments, it wouldn't be to RP or Arthur Edwards at this point, so it wouldn't stop the whining.

And really, do they really need to be right there every time she speaks to anyone else? Or when she eats? They already get a copy of the menu, there is no need for them to know if she slurps when she has her soup or not.

Funny how they had months to do that, and we had article after another about broken protocols, not really about the new senior royal.

They’ve been kept away from Meghan so far and haven’t heard from her in her own right as a senior royal. That can’t last long. The pre-tour reception is for a few good credited members of the media. They wouldn’t cross the line in such a privileged moment.

They’ve been kept away from Meghan so far and haven’t heard from her in her own right as a senior royal. That can’t last long. The pre-tour reception is for a few good credited members of the media. They wouldn’t cross the line in such a privileged moment.

I would imagine that the members of the media that attend a pre-tour reception would be the ones selected to cover the tour itself. A get together to go over the itinerary, get to know each other, when they'll be in certain places, what the media will and will not have access to. In short, its a prep to get all the ducks in a row before actually leaving on the tour.

As for the rest of the media, there will be press releases in due time and reporters/photographers that are covering the tour will file reports with their specific affiliations daily (I imagine if not more).

Meghan is going to be very up front and visible throughout this down under tour with Harry but, and this is a big but, there will be conditions and certain behavior expected of the media that covers it.

Yes, because she hasn't had an event where she made a speech or there was a need for them to be so close to her.

Yes, because she hasn't had an event where she made a speech or there was a need for them to be so close to her.

She had the one event during the engagement where she did a award thing..public speaking.

LaRae

She had the one event during the engagement where she did a award thing..public speaking.

LaRae

Meghan also participated in a panel last February with William, Kate and Harry for their Royal Foundation. If I recall, she did some speaking there too. :D

Well that was with the rest of them so she won't get credit for that one! lol S

LaRae

LaRae

I was talking about after marriage. That's where all the complaints are with. Not that they didn't get enough access to her before marriage or even just after marriage (in fact, they admitted she's not the first one they've had this amount of access to), but the access has been reduced since the wedding.

Arthur mentioned that members of the press/photographers have requested a meeting with Meghan (I assume like a pre-tour reception) before the Oceania tour

I do hope select trusted members of the press are able to meet with the Sussexes to help the tensions between them and the press pack.

The royals and the press pack often travel in unexpectedly close quarters during tours so it would help to put both parties at ease for a successful tour.

These meeting are usually off the record and very rarely disclosed to the public (though so members of the press did tweet when they got to meet the Cambridge kids off the record)

Arthur mentioned that members of the press/photographers have requested a meeting with Meghan (I assume like a pre-tour reception) before the Oceania tour

I do hope select trusted members of the press are able to meet with the Sussexes to help the tensions between them and the press pack.

The royals and the press pack often travel in unexpectedly close quarters during tours so it would help to put both parties at ease for a successful tour.

These meeting are usually off the record and very rarely disclosed to the public (though so members of the press did tweet when they got to meet the Cambridge kids off the record)
Harry usually does an off the record get together with press at the end of the tour, so I don’t know if they’ll do both that and a reception before the.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom