The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK I am the only person in my family who will be watching. Also I'm going to have to record it and see it later.

AFAIK I am the only person in my family who will be watching. Also I'm going to have to record it and see it later.

I'm also going to record it, to rewatch later! ???

I am curious how is the media portraying the upcoming nuptials In the USA. For instance are they showing interest.?

The media or the people? The media is going all out on this. :lol: All the major station will be sending over multiple people to cover it and will run specials on the couple before the wedding coverage. As for the people, there is obviously that higher demand because Meghan is American, but I wouldn't say most people are going out of their minds. The magazines have sold very well and they continue to feature her on them, but in comparison to the larger population, that's still just a percentage. Although, even when you are expecting 20 some million viewers, that's still a minor portion of society, but not much else is pulling in ratings like that if that makes sense.

BTW, about 200 theaters across US will actually screen the wedding on big screen. I'm tempted to go as there is one relatively close to me, but that means I can't drink while watching it live. I'm so conflicted since I think it'd be quite an experience seeing it on the big screen. :bang:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/royal-wedding-screen-us-theaters-1109199

I don’t see anyone saying the fee is Harry’s fault. But some people seem to be trying to purposely conflate things.

There was a fee for the Cambridge wedding but press and photographers were given equal access. There was a large press pen outside WA and BP for the balcony kiss.

There’s also a fee for Harry’s wedding but with much more limited access for press.

Harry has every reason to dislike the press. Photographers like Mark Cuthbert, Rookie and James Whatling, all accredited royal photographers who regularly cover royal engagements, have a legitimate concern for being left out of prime property for photos

This is an interesting comment. First, you acknowledge that this fee isn't Harry's fault, but then you go on griping about the limited access when they are two different things. So, isn't that putting this problem on Harry even though it's not his fault? I mean, if people want to gripe about the fee, do so, but point that towards whoever is charging it. Not saying Harry has to make accommodations in his wedding so that some people who complain about the fee that someone else is charging. If Harry is charging this fee, fine, whatever. But he's not. He's giving the access free of charge. In that case, people don't get to pick and choose what access they like. As someone previously said, anything we get with this wedding is a privilege, not a right. And before anyone gripes about security costs. The security cost would not be there if there wasn't televised so everyone can see and a carriage procession so everyone that shows up can see the couple. The security would be the same as for the Phillips' weddings with just the royal family being present and needing security.

It seems the photographer situation might have changed. There has been a shift with some of them. Maybe they had a change of heart and allowing them better access afterall.

Buried in a Shinan Govani article about the Hello! Canada Editor in Chief's preparations for the royal wedding is a really interesting little nugget:
“What was really eye-opening,” Eastwood reflects, thinking back to the early days of their then-secret romance, “was seeing how much a whole community can go on lockdown. We knew how serious it was when, all of a sudden … people we used to talk to all the time (friends and colleagues of Markle) wouldn’t even return a Facebook message. It was probably advised against doing so in some quarters.”

It strikes me that, for royal reporters, what's not said (and who's *not* talking) is also a huge clue to whether a story has legs or not. I remember when the news of Harry and Meghan first hit and the press was so much more certain than the average royal watcher's skepticism. This quote may provide some context for that disparity.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...ng-is-like-planning-for-the-moon-landing.html

The discussion of the recent CNN article on Meghan's race has been moved to the British Royal Family: Race and Racism thread, which remains closed.

Further discussion will be deleted.

very good article and nice to see for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sykes isn't a favorite of mine, but he is calling a spade a spade here although I think its more racism than classism but they hide their racist issues in class.

Other royal women have faced it, but IMO the degree is worse now because the media landscape is different. Meghan hasn't been given the honeymoon phase by many of the UK tabloids the same way other recent brides were. It has been a constant barrage of attacks against her. When someone does write something complimentary, the story is quickly changed. I see this a lot with Rebecca English's stories in the DM, but also in the Express where they will change a headline from what Palmer wanted originally. He has actually complained about this before on Twitter.

Nice article above. I have definitely noticed a lot of the media coming to Meghan's defense lately due to the outlandish attacks on her character day in and day out. The more they attack the more people will defend her. I have seen people who normally wouldn't care have jumped in and said "Enough!" Says a lot.

Thanks for sharing this article @Terri Terri! I totally agree with Sykes, and he articulates what's been happening surrounding Meghan, the press and jealous observers, very well.

I love David Baddeil's Twitter retort! True, true.

If Meghan has any inkling of what's been going on in the media, she's definitely handling it very well. I think she has the full support and encouragement of the entire royal family, especially those who've received their fair share of media badgering and heckling. The royals seemingly are all closing ranks fully behind Meghan.

A thread on the Duchess of Sussex. I started on Twitter back in 2009 because I thought it would be fun to give readers a glimpse of life as a royal reporter. Lately, it has not been much fun at all.

At least one of my colleagues has called in the police after threats were made to relatives; another was told she deserved to have acid thrown in her face. We have all faced unpleasant and unfounded accusations of racism towards Meghan.

As a liberal journalist and trade union activist, I can't think of much worse than being called a racist, apart from being accused of murder, rape, and paedophilia.

Trolls on social media are an uncomfortable fact of life for many, especially journalists. Some of my colleagues talked about this earlier this year in interviews with Australia's ABC.

You might remember that when Prince Harry lashed out at some sections of the media over its treatment of Meghan, he also criticised social media trolls, accusing them of racism and sexism. Many of those defending Meghan are as bad in my opinion.

I think there were stories that went over the top and I don't blame Harry and the palace for pushing back. But I also think Harry and the communications team at KP went over the top and bear some responsibility for the way that royal corrs are now treated on social media.

I'm happy to tell Harry that to his face. I really like him and think he is a huge asset for Britain but I think this has gone far enough now.

So, if this just unleashes a load of foul-mouthed abuse, I might withdraw more and just post links to stories (except I am unhappy with our website's approach to royal stories and as a result the only ones of mine appearing online are versions of stories already in print).

So, to the Duchess of Sussex. Like every royal corr and photographer I know, I am delighted she's joined the Royal Family. She's a breath of fresh air, beautiful, and - let's be honest - a new character in the royal soap opera. It all makes for good copy.

Her estrangement from her father and that side of the family is a story. It's what people are talking about. To be honest, I can't think what else there is to say about it but if there is a genuine new line, I will happily write it.

It's not difficult to see why she has frozen that side of the family out. I suspect the story will fade away if she doesn't fuel it.

She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.

Some in her family openly admit they see a money-making opportunity here. They're pretty brazen about it but of course there are plenty of others both inside and just outside the Royal Family who have traded on the name.

Princess Diana's brother may have been an excellent US television reporter but might his connection have helped him get the job? How has the former wife of Prince Andrew made a living all these years? How many royals have sold interviews, wedding pictures to magazines?

As for the Duchess of Sussex, I'd like to make a couple of other observations as a reporter who's covered her engagements. Royal rota journalists are being kept further away from her than we were before the wedding. That means we can't hear what she is saying.

If you can't get direct quotes from members of the Royal Family that often makes for dull stories. You go up afterwards and ask what she said. Mr Bloggs said: "The Duchess expressed the hope that women would eventually get the same opportunities as men in this profession." Boring

So, just as with Kate, that inevitably leaves you with little else to write about except what she wore and looked like. They are too lovebirds so it is quite sweet but these stories have limited shelf life.

My hope is that when they come back from their summer break, Meghan will be given a bit of a freer rein to express herself (within earshot of the media) and get stuck into some of the serious topics she wants to tackle. She has the soft power to help many people in this world.

What she wears will always be of interest to some readers, of course, but it doesn't have to be all of the story.

Via Richard Palmer Twitter

I posted the entire thread in case some people don’t use Twitter. Extraordinary for a royal reporter to go on the record like this, sort of speak.

Things are clearly out of hand when the police are being called in because of threats being made against reporters by some Meghan’s fans.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer.

That's all I'll have to say, as I believe there are plenty of people here who do not suffer from long term memory loss and remember the kind of man he proclaims to be and what kind of man he actually is. (and all the follow up replies that were left out above very nicely underline that - pushing Morton as a source of truth, demeaning and undermining readers, telling them that their first language must no be English if they can't comprehend what he is saying - Ah Richard, never change.)

There is a very tiny violin playing somewhere in the distance for him.

Last edited:
Shows to go you that no matter who you are, no matter what your profession or social status is that what goes around comes around and will bite you on the back of the front. Hard.

I’ve seen some of the vitriol thrown at royal reporters on Twitter and it’s not pretty. It’s also a bit startling to see because people will be complaining about the abuse royals receive from the media, while throwing out abuse at royal reporters and correspondents.

Regardless of how one feels about Palmer or any of the other royal reporters, death threats and threats of violence are not acceptable. And it’s especially scary when not more than a month ago, five journalists in Maryland were targeted and killed.

I’ve seen some of the vitriol thrown at royal reporters on Twitter and it’s not pretty. It’s also a bit startling to see because people will be complaining about the abuse royals receive from the media, while throwing out abuse at royal reporters and correspondents.

Regardless of how one feels about Palmer or any of the other royal reporters, death threats and threats of violence are not acceptable. And it’s especially scary when not more than a month ago, five journalists in Maryland were targeted and killed.

Thank you soapstar, that was very well said. I've been really very uncomfortable with the level of venom thrown around here, to the point of wishing people dead... this is not a healthy response to any situation, no matter how outrageous. No one deserves to die for speaking their truth, that is just not how civilized people even think. Some may want to try to find a little balance in their viewpoints.

I think its important to remember the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall who stated "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". The fine art of courtesy and respect for another's opinion has gone out the window in so many areas of cyber communities that I've been around in the last 28 years. The anonymity of being behind a computer monitor seems to give people a false sense of courage to say things that they wouldn't dream of saying face to face.

Its because of the demand for this kind of courtesy and respect that I am proud to be a member here and know that our moderators do a fine job of keeping us in line as we do sometimes err in our ways like unruly children. I'm no exception. :D

Royal reporters are in the public's face giving them the information and coverage that we'd normally never see without them. There are some we like, some we dislike and some we wonder where their heads are at even but they deserve courtesy and respect just as we would expect for ourselves.

*Respect is not given in life just because a person has money, power, position or title, it is only given on how you treat other human beings*.........

that is what is very much lacking in our world today as most everything now is about money and greed and power.....

I agree that many people lack perception or boundaries, it's easy to do with the anonymity of provided by Twitter, Facebook, etc. Even here we have seen the moderators here having to work tirelessly to maintain the required standards of common decency here on the forums, especially in the Meghan and Harry threads.

However, I think it is necessary to keep things in their proper time and place. It is unfortunate that if a message from the top is one of anger and abuse enables racism, sexism and encourages hatred against the media on a personal level, the death of five journalists showed how enabling and volatile the situation has become.

Here, on this board, I would expect any member advocating violence, racism or sexism, to be immediately banned. Much as I and many others here despise the tabloid media in general and some specific nasties, wishing or threatening death is a bit of a stretch and hatred is far too exhausting and a health risk to boot.

:previous: Marg, don't forget about grudges. One should never carry a grudge. They shed horribly. :D

Of course no journalist, whether Royal correspondent or not, should be abused or threatened or killed, (though the deaths of the five journalists in the US had nothing to do with Meghan or the Markle family, which was the main theme of Richard's complaint.)

However, I do think he conveniently forgets that his colleagues in the Express and in other tabloids haven't minded writing articles about 'exotic blood' (that was written by Boris Johnson's sister) or 'Straight outta Compton' and 'gang filled neighbourhoods' when it suited them to cast a snook at Meghan and her family. Nor have Richard's fellow journalists been above trawling for dirt among Meghan's friends and loved ones, or gleefully pointing out Tom's set up photos, or paying him for interviews. Plus, it's clear some articles have come from reporters trawling anti Meghan Twitter and Tumbler sites.

Sorry Richard, but IMO you can't always be holding your arms up in faux despair and saying 'I didn't write that!' or 'The editor changed the heading etc' as he and Rebecca English of the DM have often said in their own defence on their Twitter, not when fellow journalists on the paper that employ you are gleefully writing nasty or sarcastic or baseless articles on Meghan and/or her family. There is such a thing as collective guilt.

I've followed Richard Palmer for a long time, including the years since Meghan came into the picture. Yes, some of the posters on his Twitter Page are OTT. However, they have not always been pro-Meghanites. Plenty came on to abuse her every day, though he has banned many from both sides.

And IMO coming online anywhere and being determinedly negative about a Royal or anyone else with every post isn't admirable either.

It's odd really that Richard should be writing this now, when even the commenters on the Fail online comment space are turning against Tom and Samantha Markle's behaviour and abusing the newspaper for keeping their rantings alive. 'It's a story' he stated. Is it, Richard?

Sad that when there are so many other things going on in the world. 'It's a story, so we in the tabloid press are entitled to keep it going' is the subtext. At least until people turn and it starts becoming uncomfortable for we the Press, is the reality. That says it all really, doesn't it?

Last edited:
There's a world of difference between disparaging someone's upbringing and threatening them and their loved ones with violence, or wishing death on them. No one deserves that kind of treatment, I don't care what they write in the press. No excuses, nothing justifies that kind of extremism. Ever.

Richard wrote that because one of his followers called him out and asked him to share his thoughts because he was quiet about the Markle saga when his fellow royal reporters weren't. So he did.

I remember the person who threatened Emily Andrews. It was a troll on an account with like 3 followers (clearly a new one) and that person was reported and called out by a lot of people -- pro Sussex as well. It was extremely uncalled for.

I don't really agree with a lot of what Richard said and it was interesting to read his replies to those reacting to his comments. At times I felt he lost his point or proved theirs. But I do think he did make sense regarding some things and I agree that press will be the press. People expecting it to change will always be disappointed.

About the Markle circus and Palmer’s statement “It’s a story.” The world is full of ‘stories’ but not all of them are worthy of being published.
That’s the real issue here, what is the value or even relevance of repeatedly publishing ‘stories’ from estranged family? Meghan’s not speaking to her father’s side of the family, they are unhappy about that - that’s the whole ‘story’ - the rest is just the press being willing participants in enabling & even manufacturing ongoing drama by repeatedly going to the irrelevant relatives and publishing their threats and abuse towards Meghan.
The second issue is that the writer and the publication have absolute control over how they cover the ‘story.’ They’ve chosen to sensationalize the ‘story,’ to publish emotionally abusive and caustic statements from the Markles, writers suggest Meghan is at fault for cutting off contact, etc., etc.. Their crass sensationalism attracts a certain audience and I’d submit that it’s no surprise that that audience has more than it’s share of irrational people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom