The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more point. Some say that this isn't the time to do this. I disagree. The press has been warned time and time again, but they fight the warnings and maybe behave better for a little bit and it starts slipping down the same path. Why? Because there isn't real consequences. If you deny them access to something they don't care about, they obviously don't get it. Some times it has to hurt a little. And yes, this constitutes hurt a little for the press, and specially the editors that choose the narrative their papers print. They will have something to fill their front pages with that day, but they won't have an exclusive by sheer luck. Everyone is treated equally. What's wrong with that?

The photographers might not write the stories, but their editors choose to let everything print. At the end of the day, is it the photographers that make the millions if they get a money shot? No. It's the papers. Why should Harry help line their pocket when they've been so nasty? As for promoting his charitable endeavors, let's not pretend like this is a situation where the tabloids are doing Harry any favors. If he stories about him didn't sell, they wouldn't be covering it. As long as he continues to sell, they will cover it.

Some are collateral damage along the way, but it happens. If Arthur Edwards worked for another paper that's more respectable and reasonable, the situation would be different. They can't control the situation at Westminster Abbey since it's on a public street, but this is private grounds we are talking about. While Arthur Edwards is upset about the access issue, he even acknowledges that he understands why Harry is upset with them.

The royal family, including Harry, understands that not everyone in press is bad, and that's why at times they've chosen to give access to some journalists. There is a reason why Rhiannon Mills is given deference in terms of asking royals questions at their events. They respect her enough to answer because she has treated them with respect. There is a reason why Harry gave Camilla Tominey of all people an exclusive on his Caribbean trip after she blew their cover first. He understands when they need to do their job, what he doesn't understand is when they choose to be abusive.

Every single member of the BRF has had to deal with nasty and sometimes brutal articles written about them. Yet they're not out here shunning photographers. I get and understand why Harry is angry, but I think the way he's handling it is silly. And no one is saying the tabloids are doing him a favor. What I'm saying is that the BRF and the media need one another.

This isn't just about Arthur Edwards and the Sun though. Many of the photographers are freelance and don't work for a particular paper/outlet. So why should they be punished because Harry is mad at the tabloids?

While Will and Harry might like Arthur as a private person, I am sure they do NOT like The Sun.
I’m also sure Arthur is perfectly aware who he works for and what they have done to various royals over the years.

Why is this about punishing photographers? I don't get that at all. So Harry and Meghan chose to have less photographers right outside the church, and have only selected ones there. That's not punishing photographers. Should the grant free for all access to photographers, because some would be cut out regardless.

But this is a much smaller venue on private land in Windsor as compared to the much larger space on public roads in front of Westminster Abbey....obviously you can't have the same number of photographers as W&K had jn 2011. And if you invite 1 particular royal photographer, you may have to invite all the others.

Every single member of the BRF has had to deal with nasty and sometimes brutal articles written about them. Yet they're not out here shunning photographers. I get and understand why Harry is angry, but I think the way he's handling it is silly. And no one is saying the tabloids are doing him a favor. What I'm saying is that the BRF and the media need one another.

This isn't just about Arthur Edwards and the Sun though. Many of the photographers are freelance and don't work for a particular paper/outlet. So why should they be punished because Harry is mad at the tabloids?

Look, I acknowledge that there are collateral damage here. And members of the royal family certainly shuns press when they can. It's difficult to limit their access on public grounds obviously, and they put up with it. But if you look at the way the BRF members deals with press when they attend events versus other royal families, it's as clear as night and day. They don't stop or even look at the cameras that show up to cover the event. They do realize they need one another, and that's why this is even getting released at all. They can all print the pictures, it's not going to be exclusively for AP. Many of the agencies/papers have ownership in AP. And if they are to let some more in? Who do you propose? Those didn't get picked would throw all kinds of tantrum. And it would make things much worse. Either give all access or give one access and share the product with all of them.

As for the freelancers, there is always the procession to get the money shot. They aren't trying to control access in public areas. However, Windsor is private grounds, and they do get some say.

This seems to be the route they are taking with this wedding. Same rules for everyone. No politicians means no politicians. Not even the ones they are friends with.

Last edited:

Harry is doing the right thing. Meghan has been subjected to daily racist attacks. Harry does not want to reward this savagery, by allowing these publications to profit on his big day. I'm sorry if the photographers are collateral damage, but something must be done to send a message. He's tired of this.

I don't get this idea that this is some person attack on the photographers as a whole. I don't think Harry has any ill well against Arthur Edwards. I mean this man even acknowledges that he understands why it is happening. He is just unfortunately caught in the middle. But I don't see issue in a "limited" access. Not the first time one service has the main access, case and point the BBC stream of the wedding.

Actually, the more I think about it, the less I think it is about punishment. It's what the photographers think, sure, but they aren't inside the decision making process. We know Harry doesn't like them, but he's put up with them when he's had to. However, I doubt they can allow all photographer in on the grounds at Windsor Castle that day just because there will be a lot of people there and just a lot of chaos. Security, mainly screening to make sure they are who they say they are, is going to be a lot with over 2000 members of public already. And yes, I'm aware photographers like Arthur Edwards aren't terrorists. However, what's to say someone won't try to sneak in posing as a photographer? Of course, they can try through other means, but why add to the problem? I'm sure Harry didn't loose any sleep on their behalf over this decision though. :lol:

They will have shots of the procession both coming and going. Its not Harry and Meghan's obligation to make sure each photog gets the headline shot.

Look! At the end of the day, the photographers can complain! They are still going to tu4n up on May 19 because this will be a huge event and everybody will make money! The photographers won't get exclusives, but everybody will get photos.

Look at Pippa’s wedding which was a private wedding by any definition or the term.

But... KP knew there would be interest because of the royals and celebrities attending. Photographers were given a media pen from which to work and networks were given video access outside the church.

That doesn’t seem like a very hostile Palace. They tried to be as accommodating as possible.

We all know the BBC will be televiseing the wedding but that doesn’t help print and freelance photographers at Harry’s wedding. The Press Association has been given pride of place.

Look, I acknowledge that there are collateral damage here. And members of the royal family certainly shuns press when they can. It's difficult to limit their access on public grounds obviously, and they put up with it. But if you look at the way the BRF members deals with press when they attend events versus other royal families, it's as clear as night and day. They don't stop or even look at the cameras that show up to cover the event. They do realize they need one another, and that's why this is even getting released at all. They can all print the pictures, it's not going to be exclusively for AP. Many of the agencies/papers have ownership in AP. And if they are to let some more in? Who do you propose? Those didn't get picked would throw all kinds of tantrum. And it would make things much worse. Either give all access or give one access and share the product with all of them.

As for the freelancers, there is always the procession to get the money shot. They aren't trying to control access in public areas. However, Windsor is private grounds, and they do get some say.

This seems to be the route they are taking with this wedding. Same rules for everyone. No politicians means no politicians. Not even the ones they are friends with.

Yeah, but the money shot will be the one of them exiting the church. Especially since there is no balcony. The church and balcony photos were the ones that everyone used with W&K, so I can see why the photographers are upset.

Like I said, I understand Harry's frustration. But if he is doing this because he's upset about the tabloids, I don't think this is the way to handle it.

Why is this about punishing photographers? I don't get that at all. So Harry and Meghan chose to have less photographers right outside the church, and have only selected ones there. That's not punishing photographers. Should the grant free for all access to photographers, because some would be cut out regardless.

Well it's being suggested that Harry is limiting photographers because he's upset with tabloids. So that would suggest they're being punished. Plus this quote from Arthur Andrews:

“He’s become — it’s no secret — he’s become very withdrawn. He doesn’t say ‘good morning’ to us anymore,” Mr. Edwards said. “He’s upset with us generally.”

Last edited:
Look at Pippa’s wedding which was a private wedding by any definition or the term.

But... KP knew there would be interest because of the royals and celebrities attending. Photographers were given a media pen from which to work and networks were given video access outside the church.

That doesn’t seem like a very hostile Palace. They tried to be as accommodating as possible.

We all know the BBC will be televiseing the wedding but that doesn’t help print and freelance photographers at Harry’s wedding. The Press Association has been given pride of place.

Was Pippa's media pen on public or private land? And security risk was nowhere near as high. Nor the crowd as much of an issue for security.

Yeah, but the money shot will be the one of them exiting the church. Especially since there is no balcony. The church and balcony photos were the ones that everyone used with W&K, so I can see why the photographers are upset.

Like I said, I understand Harry's frustration. But if he is doing this because he's upset about the tabloids, I don't think this is the way to handle it.

Well it's being suggested that Harry is limiting photographers because he's upset with tabloids. So that would suggest they're being punished. Plus this quote from Arthur Andrews:

“He’s become — it’s no secret — he’s become very withdrawn. He doesn’t say ‘good morning’ to us anymore,” Mr. Edwards said. “He’s upset with us generally.”

And every newspaper will have the money shot of them coming out of the church and on the steps. So why does it matter? It becomes worthless when everyone has the same shot, so freelancers aren't screwed there. That would actually take the pressure off the photographers from their papers, no?

As for withdrawn and not saying good morning, I thought that's just standard procedure for BRF? Along with not looking directly at the cameras.

Gee can't imagine why.

LaRae

Was Pippa's media pen on public or private land? And security risk was nowhere near as high. Nor the crowd as much of an issue for security.

The church was on private land. The estate belongs to a Member of Parliament and friend of the Middletons. Security was a risk considering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to the line of the throne were there.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. Is it being suggested that the palace was in charge of organising for the media for Pippa's wedding? That is news to me.

The church was on private land. The estate belongs to a Member of Parliament and friend of the Middletons. Security was a risk considering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to the line were there.

But security is no more of a risk than when they are all living at KP in those terms. They obviously would all have their security detail, plus the wedding security for that. The security risk I'm referring to is much more to do with large crowds and attacks related to that. However, my understanding is that that parish is available for others to use as well and not just those that own the land and thus not private like Windsor Castle when it's closed to the public. And only members of the public that's been invited that day will be there, no one else can have access. So again, that's different.

And every newspaper will have the money shot of them coming out of the church and on the steps. So why does it matter? It becomes worthless when everyone has the same shot, so freelancers aren't screwed there. That would actually take the pressure off the photographers from their papers, no?

As for withdrawn and not saying good morning, I thought that's just standard procedure for BRF? Along with not looking directly at the cameras.

It matters because only a select few will be getting that shot. I mean, its not hard to understand why a photographer would be upset about not being able to get certain shots.

No it's not standard procedure. A number of BRF members say hello to photographers when they seem them at events (Camilla and Sophie come to mind).

I'm sorry. Is it being suggested that the palace was in charge of organising for the media for Pippa's wedding? That is news to me.

KP was involved in that they announced Cambridges and Harry will attend and that George and Charlotte will be page boy and bridesmaid. However, I do believe Pippa has her own media relations person. KP would just be a support role in that if it even went beyond the announcement, which it's possible that it didn't.

Security was a risk considering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to the line to the throne were there.
I'm sorry...but the security risk at Pippa Middleton's wedding was nothing compared to the far greater security risks of Prince Harry's wedding. The entire BRF will be at this wedding in adition to massve crowds. And to be even more blunt....Pippa has not had to face racist commentary, an anthrax threat and the like.

It matters because only a select few will be getting that shot. I mean, its not hard to understand why a photographer would be upset about not being able to get certain shots.

No it's not standard procedure. A number of BRF members say hello to photographers when they seem them at events (Camilla and Sophie come to mind).

Harry doesn't ignore them. He was just joking with Rhiannon the other day which is on film. I get why photographers are upset but I feel right now they just going off emotions. Arthur also talked to press today and seemed in decent spirits.

Personally it seems that while neither brother particularly enjoys the press, William understands that as heir he needs to let the photographers in.

By contrast, Harry can afford to be more closed off as the chances he gets the throne now that George, Charlotte, and Louis are here are slim to none

I can understand both sides. On one hand, photographers are frustrated because they are fielding the brunt of the anti-media sentiment despite their own best efforts to make nice. On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons why there can't be a horde of photographers outside the Chapel steps that have been pointed out.

I hope an understanding can be worked out, but I think, much to some people's chagrin, Harry, Meghan and family are going to be a fairly private bunch.

But why do they all need the same shot is my question? It's not like they have to go back to their boss and turn it in. Their boss would already have the shot to publish.

And I figured it was standard procedure because SO MANY of them complain about it. So perhaps, it's just the younger generation/ If that's the case, then yes, clearly, it's not just an issue Harry has with them.

Harry doesn't ignore them. He was just joking with Rhiannon the other day which is on film. I get why photographers are upset but I feel right now they just going off emotions. Arthur also talked to press today and seemed in decent spirits.

I'm just going by what Arthur Andrews said. He said Harry doesn't say good morning to them anymore and that his whole demeanor towards them has changed. If it hasn't, then that's something Arthur has to clear up.

Right. Harry doesn't necessarily have a problem with all media. It's those that go over the line. He jokes with Rhiannon. He's answered questions from her when he arrives at events. He's done interviews with a number of them. He even introduced Meghan to Roya Nikkhah at Nottingham when they saw her at the walkabout.

I think it's worth noting that the "Money Shot" from Christmas day with all those photographers there to capture the history breaking moment for posterity. Instead, the honour went to a solo mum with an iPhone in the Crowd.

Oh, and Arthur, the boys grew to men and are in their thirties. :D

Rhiannon and Roya aren’t accredited royal photographers. We shouldn’t conflate the two to make a point.

Rhiannon and Roya aren’t accredited royal photographers. We shouldn’t conflate the two to make a point.

The point is they are all media. And it's clear where they have problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom