The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles plays it smart. He knows they're trying to trip him up,so he has to be extra careful about what he'll talk about. It's better to give no interview, then to give a soundbite that will hang over your head.

I agree. I was just pointing out there will always be complaints from the media no matter what royals do

They're either being too open or they don't talk enough

I agree. I was just pointing out there will always be complaints from the media no matter what royals do

They're either being too open or they don't talk enough

I don't think there is such a thing as 'too open' as far as the media is concerned.If they had their way there would be a live stream to the royals 24/7, Big Brother: The Windsor Castle Edition. Thus the media will never be satisfied. They will continue to seethe about being excluded from the inner bosom of the BRF.

Thankfully, all the current HRHs are astute enough to be wary of the press and their traps.

Last edited:
That's on the media. If they have to resort to dishonesty to justify their smear campaign, then their beef was obviously too weak to begin with.

Speaking of such a thing....William's speech from earlier this week is now up at the Official Site for the Wales, Cambridges and Prince Harry and....

What a shocking surprise!! There was no mention of anything regarding the current issue of the UK staying in the EU. Yes, there were comments about the work The Foreign Office does in Europe for the UK, but you'd expect such a thing in a speech to a room of Diplomats and Future Aspiring Diplomats, wouldn't you?

As expected. The reaction of Emily Andrews and Palmer the other day were exactly what I thought : A Kangaroo Court.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

However there are many people who don't read the speech, or even the articles, and are convinced that William made a political statement - just as they believe that The Queen's comment before the Scottish referendum was also unwise.

The press do influence public opinion and the BRF aren't able to control that all that much - other than the way William has tried with threats of legal action etc ... but that can backfire with the press simply making up stories and making them worse than they really are to turn people the way they won't them to go.

The way to avoid that is to work with the press and ensure good relations exist. William doesn't appear to want to work with the press or have good relations with them - except for his chosen one or two and that will probably not work as the others will simply write more and more negative stories.

To avoid negative stories William and Kate are need to see the big picture and not put their heads in the sand and assume that William will always get good press, simply because he is Diana's son - he needs to earn the good will on his own and he is not doing that at the moment.

Some recent Twitter conversations of Dickie Arbiter. I like how he sets the record straight regarding media coverage of Diana and how in the early years most of the focus was on her clothes, and IMO interest in what Diana wore never really abated, but it took years for the media to move beyond covering Diana only as a fashion plate.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie Feb 21
Hacks doing to Kate what they did to Diana. She's not a clothes horse for god's sake. - learn from history
Kate Middleton's off-duty look is worth £3,028 | Daily Mail Online

royal whispers ‏@royalwhisper Feb 21
@RoyalDickie @marilynsrylblog The press covered Diana's work, royal charities, royal duties as well as her clothes. Kate rarely works.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie Feb 21 Dickie Arbiter
You obviously missed her first five year which began 35 years ago!!

Marilyn Braun ‏@marilynsrylblog 19h19 hours ago
@RoyalDickie @royalwhisper yes, I have at least a dozen books from that time period and they are all about her fashions.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie 19h19 hours ago
I rest my case - amen to that

Marilyn Braun ‏@marilynsrylblog 19h19 hours ago @RoyalDickie @royalwhisper being taken seriously must have been extremely frustrating for Diana in the early years.

Extremely frustrating for all of us & hete we are 30 or so years on and a new crop of hacks are repeating history

@KatRousaki @RoyalDickie @royalwhisper if Diana was still alive (54 years old) I don't think we would be talking about her in same way now.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie 19h19 hours ago @marilynsrylblog @KatRousaki @royalwhisper - Probably not but then W&K would have deferred to her leaving hacks out in the cold

@RoyalDickie @KatRousaki @royalwhisper I don't know behind scenes & you have more experience than me. Would she really have advised that?

Dickie Arbiter Retweeted Marilyn Braun
Hard to say - her death changed the way royals were reported on but 3 decades on & back to same old.

https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/status/701341956027318272
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie

As far as the royals and the media goes, I don't think anything so far has been as awful, as crude and rude as this upcoming "documentary" series that is to debut on Channel 5 in the UK. Its been posted about in the General News and Information for Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh.

I don't want to start discussions in two different threads on the same subject but this bears pointing to as from the thread topic it covers all of the media.

I think this upcoming "show" will damage the relationship between the BRF and the media even more than anything up until now has.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Some recent Twitter conversations of Dickie Arbiter. I like how he sets the record straight regarding media coverage of Diana and how in the early years most of the focus was on her clothes, and IMO interest in what Diana wore never really abated, but it took years for the media to move beyond covering Diana only as a fashion plate.

https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/status/701341956027318272
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie

Is Dickie Arbiter interesting to follow? I threw out the other guy because of his moaning about the lack of access he&the media got to George and Charlotte.

I think Iluvbertie hit the right point, William needs to learn to try to work with the media better. Yes they moan all the time and he can't change that, equally he can't blame genuine royal reporters for the actions of photographers who have nothing to do with the organisations for which they work.
I think most UK papers are very fair in not buying or publishing pictures of W&K and especially the children, from photographers.
Rather than threatening legal action all the time he could work more with those papers and news organisations that do follow the rules.
When it comes the media a very petulant side of William comes out and IMO he does need to act with a little more maturity.

[...]

When it comes the media a very petulant side of William comes out and IMO he does need to act with a little more maturity.

Petulant? More maturity? The media mercilessly hunted his mother, the media drove his mother to her death. The media even had no any consideration when she was fighting for life in that car, in that ambulance.... No wonder the Prince has a reserved and restraint attitude towards the media...

Rather than threatening legal action all the time he could work more with those papers and news organisations that do follow the rules.

William has never threatened legal action. The press is free to publish whatever photos it wants. There were just pics of Kate a couple of days ago.

All William has asked is for papers to consider the sources and methods used by paparazzi as they go about stalking George and Charlotte.

When Charles and Camilla were in Australia, Clarence House asked the British press not to publish photos of them 'off duty'

The royals make reasonable requests but ultimately its up to editors to decide on what gets published

Images of Prince Charles in swimming trunks you WON'T see in any British newspaper | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
How many times were the pictures of George passed off as just pictures taken by a regular person with a smartphone? In reality, it was photographers hiding in car trunks, sand dunes etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It was the same with Harry in Vegas. Clarence House made a request and papers followed (except the Sun) - but no legal action was taken.

A Clarence House spokesman confirmed that it had contacted the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) about the images, reports The Guardian. The spokesman said it was drawing attention to Harry's right to privacy under the media watchdog's code of conduct. Or as the Daily Mail put it: The photos were banned in Britain by a "furious royal family."

No legal action was threatened by the palace, but a Clarence House spokesman said it was drawing attention to "reasonable expectations of privacy in a hotel room." The palace "reminded newspapers of their own editorial codes."
Naked Prince Harry photos banned in Britain

Some reporters and photographers on twitter make it seem like the royals 'control' the press but it's clearly not the case.

Petulant? More maturity? The media mercilessly hunted his mother, the media drove his mother to her death. The media even had no any consideration when she was fighting for life in that car, in that ambulance.... No wonder the Prince has a reserved and restraint attitude towards the media...

Sadly this is the same thing that always gets said when anyone mentions William and the media in the same breath.

The death of Diana, Princess of Wales was a tragedy, she was a young beautiful women who died as she approached a fresh start in her life. Yes the media played a part in that in so much as a number of photographers were chasing the car she was in. That is one factor in what caused the car crash which killed her.

However that surely doesn't mean anybody can blame journalists reporting on the royal family now for Diana's death, many of them weren't royal reporters back in 1997. I'm sorry but how can you tarnish everyone who works in the same industry with the same brush? I understand the 'media' as a whole played a part in making Diana's life difficult, but any reasonable person can see she certainly played them at their own game and played them off against one another which certainly was never going to help get the media to leave her alone.

To me a distinction has to be made between mainstream journalists and those photographers who stalk and chase William & Kate and interfere with their daily lives all the time. Nobody should have to face that and its right that William does all he can to protect his family from that. However I think most UK papers and broadcasters have been fair to William and Kate, yes the papers may publish gossip and rumours but that is, sorry to say, part of being in this otherwise wonderfully privileged position they both are in. It is this relationship that William needs to improve IMO, perhaps talking to them more, allowing more interviews which he and Kate can use to highlight their work for their charities. Failing this on a more basic level he can encourage his staff to be maybe a little more accommodating towards these proper, legitimate journalists when it comes to covering their engagements etc.

Let's be realistic, William is destined for a role which means he is going to have to work with the media and be part of their interest for the rest of his life. Rightly or wrongly that is a fact and has been for a number of generations even before Diana was part of the RF. If William finds the presence of the media, by which I mean journalists for legitimate newspapers and broadcaster, so annoying and so bad he needs to find himself a new job, where he doesn't have to deal with them, sadly though future King of the UK is not one of those jobs.

William has the exact same relationship with the press as HM, Philip, Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, and Harry do. Yet, William gets called petulant and immature towards the media? Okay...

Why do certain posters expect William to be best friends with the tabloid press, yet they’re fine with his family members having a detached and occasionally hostile relationship with press. I can’t wrap my mind around this unapologetic double-standard.

Rudolph, thanks for bringing facts and fairness into the conversation.

Yeah, this isn't just a William thing. Richard Palmer has stated that Prince Harry is just as controlling when it comes to the media. He relayed a story about how Prince Harry barred photographers from taking photos of him at some Ascot event.

I can't blame William and Harry for being shy when it comes to the press. They saw what happened to their mother and father and I imagine that whole media circus has deeply influenced them.

To be honest, I'm not sure what can be done to strengthen the relationship between the royals and the media. I guess they could do more photo-ops and interviews, but then how many is enough to satisfy the media/public?

I don't know if William has threatened legal action but according to the link above Charles threatened legal action against any UK outlet that published the naked Harry photos. ETA: correction, it was not in the article linked above, it was another article.

Tommy100 I really like your comment but I disagree with the part that William needs to talk to the media more. Off the top of my head, in the past year or so, I recall William either talking to the media, making a speech or commenting in a public forum about his mother's death, the Ant and Dec interview, an interview when he started working at EAAA, there was at least one comment where he talked about his children and he made a speech that aired on Chinese television.

To me the crux of the issue is that the Cambridges are not full-time working royals, I am not opining on that, at least not in this comment - the beast wants to be fed a regular diet of attractive young royals and William, Kate and Harry do not do enough royal work to satisfy that hunger. The media wants them to make appearances and then be able to run several articles on what Kate wore, what tidbit was spilled about family members, especially George and Charlotte, heartwarming and/or charming pictures of the royals interacting with citizens and celebrities, etc., and hopefully there will be another engagement to cover by the time the next news cycles rolls around.

Last edited:
A couple more examples of royals and privacy. Andrew and Harry

Prince Harry and his friend Cressida Bonas complained about the Daily Mirror running two pictures of them which they said invaded their privacy.

Their complaint was resolved when the PCC negotiated the removal of the pictures from the paper's website plus the removal of an accompanying article.
Prince Andrew complained to the PCC that The Sun had intruded into his private life by publishing photos of him on a beach, "which was effectively private, and where he had a reasonable expectation of privacy."

The prince's complaint was resolved by the removal of photos from the newspaper's website.
Princes' privacy complaints to the PCC resolved through negotiation | Media | The Guardian

Photo-ops and interviews would do nothing. The tabloid press who are the only ones complaining about William are in an endangered industry. What they want William to do is to quit his job so he and his family can become show pony for the tabloids press, that way they can make money

Papers get read photos get looked at they are put on forums this one included. If you want it to stop don't buy, look at, forward, post, discuss, etc etc. simple really.

The whole cycle of:

• Media print it
  • Royals say it violated reasonable privacy rules
  • Media removes it
just reinforces the adage "the early bird gets the worm." :bang:

William has the exact same relationship with the press as HM, Philip, Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, and Harry do. Yet, William gets called petulant and immature towards the media? Okay...

Why do certain posters expect William to be best friends with the tabloid press, yet they’re fine with his family members having a detached and occasionally hostile relationship with press. I can’t wrap my mind around this unapologetic double-standard.

Rudolph, thanks for bringing facts and fairness into the conversation.

If you are referring to me in your remarks about "being fine with his family members..." I'd ask you to point out anywhere I've said anything about other members of RF and the media or said its okay for them to be 'detached and occasionally hostile'

If you are referring to me in your remarks about "being fine with his family members..." I'd ask you to point out anywhere I've said anything about other members of RF and the media or said its okay for them to be 'detached and occasionally hostile'

You were one of few posters I was referring to.

I reread your post #164. You only mentioned William and Catherine names. As the other royals have the same relationship with the press, it's puzzling that you didn't mention their names, too. So either you have different expectations of them aka a double standard, or you haven't gotten around to calling HM, Philip, Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, and Harry petulant and immature. If it's the latter then I look forward to your future posts where you condemn the rest of the BRF, in the name of fairness.

Personally, I strongly feel that William's antipathy for the press was born long, long before August 1997, and that it's the longstanding antipathy he felt that led him to blame them so much for Diana's death.

I keep going back to that first photocall in the KP gardens when William tried to leave twice when faced with a phalanx of cameras and people calling to get his attention. He was not happy, and his mother's decision to force him to stay was very much the wrong one. It was also a decision born, IMO, out of Diana's somewhat disordered relationship with the press.

But she, and Charles, taught him from a very early age that they would not protect him from the press when he was scared of them. Sure, intellectually, he might have been able to see the protections of his later years, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't feel protected. C&D really didn't do anything when he was little to make him feel heard. His "I hate 'tographers" has always been reported with an "oh, the little scamp" chuckle, but I suspect he was expressing himself pretty clearly.

And, really, once his mother died, was a 15 year old really going to view his mother's back and forth with the press rationally and understand that she cycled through courting and rejecting the attention? Wouldn't most 15 year olds who already had negative feelings about the press just transfer all of the blame to them? If he hasn't come to a more mature and nuanced understanding of the situation, I'd be disappointed, but I can't really fault a teenager for seeing things in black and white.

Personally, tightly controlling access to his kids makes total sense from someone who clearly expressed feeling overexposed as a small child. I don't think it's that he "wants to be normal", as people are always castigating him about (funny, because I don't think I've heard it from him, just from "source").

I think he knows very well what it means to be paraded in close proximity to cameras you can't escape and doesn't want that for his kids. It may even be that he has enough self-awareness to want to keep G&C from developing his own fear/loathing of 'tographers, and this is the way he thinks to achieve that.

TL : DR -- William's dislike of the press came first, born out of C&D putting the relationship with the press above his feelings, and it was the pre-existing antipathy that caused him to both blame the press for Di's death and to approach access to his kids in the way he has.

Or its just because at the moment the media are publishing article after article criticizing William and not the other royals. I wasn't talking about the RF in general but about William and these articles.

Personally thought I don't think the other members of the RF all have the same relationship with the media.

Last edited:
Personally, I strongly feel that William's antipathy for the press was born long, long before August 1997, and that it's the longstanding antipathy he felt that led him to blame them so much for Diana's death.

I keep going back to that first photocall in the KP gardens when William tried to leave twice when faced with a phalanx of cameras and people calling to get his attention. He was not happy, and his mother's decision to force him to stay was very much the wrong one. It was also a decision born, IMO, out of Diana's somewhat disordered relationship with the press.

But she, and Charles, taught him from a very early age that they would not protect him from the press when he was scared of them. Sure, intellectually, he might have been able to see the protections of his later years, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't feel protected. C&D really didn't do anything when he was little to make him feel heard. His "I hate 'tographers" has always been reported with an "oh, the little scamp" chuckle, but I suspect he was expressing himself pretty clearly.

And, really, once his mother died, was a 15 year old really going to view his mother's back and forth with the press rationally and understand that she cycled through courting and rejecting the attention? Wouldn't most 15 year olds who already had negative feelings about the press just transfer all of the blame to them? If he hasn't come to a more mature and nuanced understanding of the situation, I'd be disappointed, but I can't really fault a teenager for seeing things in black and white.

Personally, tightly controlling access to his kids makes total sense from someone who clearly expressed feeling overexposed as a small child. I don't think it's that he "wants to be normal", as people are always castigating him about (funny, because I don't think I've heard it from him, just from "source").

I think he knows very well what it means to be paraded in close proximity to cameras you can't escape and doesn't want that for his kids. It may even be that he has enough self-awareness to want to keep G&C from developing his own fear/loathing of 'tographers, and this is the way he thinks to achieve that.

TL : DR -- William's dislike of the press came first, born out of C&D putting the relationship with the press above his feelings, and it was the pre-existing antipathy that caused him to both blame the press for Di's death and to approach access to his kids in the way he has.

A very well thought out post. And most importantly, a very empathetic post. You don't see the latter often enough.

I do agree that William has disliked the press since he was a toddler, and that the press did little to help change his mind. In fact, they have often stoked the fire over the last 32 years. Add to that, the three royals that are mentoring William (HM,Philip,Charles) also have a natural dislike of the press. They have reinforced William's opinion that the media relationship need only be a professional one, not a friendly or intimate one, and once the royals are off the clock, the press need to respect those boundaries. I think HM, Philip, Charles, and William are in their right to expect that consideration.

I believe young children are very honest with their feelings. When William said he didn't like 'tographers, he meant it. When Harry stuck out his tongue at the press pack, he meant it.

Last edited:
Young children don't like lots of things going to bed getting up the little boy next who be his friend tomorrow.
He's now a man unless he has serious mental health issues I think we can all forget what he said when he was a toddler. Seeing he brought George out in front of the press to visit mummy and baby sister I think we can all move on.

Excellent post hel. Welcome to The Royal Forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young children don't like lots of things going to bed getting up the little boy next who be his friend tomorrow.
He's now a man unless he has serious mental health issues I think we can all forget what he said when he was a toddler.

Having a natural dislike of something is very relevant if those who are your mentors are giving you positive reinforcement for that dislike. William dislikes the press, so does his three mentors, Philip, HM, and Charles.

Philip has never pretended to like the press a day in his life, and he’s not afraid to let them know it. They call it his “lack of censor”. We’ve heard plenty of stories over the years, of Philip being Philip. From “you’ve got mosquitos, we’ve got the press”. Or that Australian reporter who met Philip and described him as rude and unpleasant. Or that photographer who went to Sandringham for Christmas and said Philip flipped him off. The stories are plentiful.

Then you have HM, she’s tries to be more diplomatic than Philip, but she expresses her dislike of the press. She doesn’t give interviews. It’s said one of the reasons she’s so fond of Sophie, is that she can be in public and no one recognizes her. That’s her association of being a good person/royal, with avoiding the media spotlight. Ken Lennox, a former member of the British press, said this on how The Queen and her advisors dealt with him and other media members, “They held all of the cards. They didn't even tell us which game they were playing with the cards. We just watched them as head of a table. We were not invited in at all. We were allowed to take photographs of the Queen opening fetes and going behind a counter selling jam once a year, but that was it.”

When Charles and Diana were photographed on vacation The Queen called it the “blackest day in British journalism”. The Queen had the Press Council punish any press member who was involved. One of accredited press she had thrown out of an official event, with her PO saying "Her Majesty has seen you here and doesn't want you here.This town isn't big enough for the two of you.”

The Queen’s longtime press secretary was quoted as calling the british tabloids, “a cancer in the soft underbelly of the nation”.

When Edward was papped striking his hunting dogs on the private estate of Sandringham, the Queen was livid. She issued warnings to the press. Her spokesman then told editors they could face legal action if they publish photos from family estates.

Prince Charles has also taught his sons to loathe the media. When he and his sons were at a photocall, he was recorded telling his sons about the reporters, "These bloody people. I can't bear that man. I mean, he's so awful, he really is.” In 2004, when Charles, William, Harry, and Catherine were papped skiing, and The Sun published pics, Charles had Arthur Edwards banned for a period of time, and he didn't even take the photos. On New Year’s day 1981, Charles said to a group of reporters, “A thoroughly nasty new year to your editors”. As we heard, Charles threatened legal action over Harry’s Vegas pics. In September 2013, it’s rumored that he threatened bloody murder if the pictures of topless Camilla on a yacht were even discussed in the British press. When it comes to press restrictions, Charles has been called the “North Korea” of the BRF. His former spokesman(s) has said statements like this more times than I can count,"“The family recognizes there is a public interest in them and what they do. But they don’t think this extends to photographing the private activities of them and their friends.”

These are the three that have mentored William and Harry on how to view the press and how to deal with them. And yet it’s William who gets called petulant. Interesting.

Last edited:
Miss Wirley , I so enjoy reading your post. They are always factual, calm ,and beautifully written. Plus they are filled with a lot of common sense.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom