The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

The War of the Waleses followed by the deadly hunt on Diana has for ever changed the relationship between the royal family and the media. And add to it: the open sewers in the comments sections of the boulevard "press". It is a continuous erosion of the monarchy.

Once a Dutch politician stated: a continuous dripping waterdrop can erode the hardest stone. When I have read the Daily Mail a couple of times and I read the comments, good heavens, I really need to take the dog for a walk outside, to have fresh air. The venom, the poison, the vitriol, the dirt, the hatred which is thrown to the royal family, it is beyond belief...

And this is England... by us on the Continent seen as Union Jack-waving "God Save The Queen"-singing patriots.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Mail comment section is a hate filled dumpster fire for almost every story not just the Royal one's.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

In a lot of professions, what people say on Twitter comes back to bite them. A few of the photogs are downright rude on Twitter.

I know if a particular person was trashing me, I wouldn't go out of my way to do him or her any favours.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Blunt and to the point, the best statement I've ever heard has to be the simple, succinct and most likely forever immortalized as one of the Duke of Edinburgh's best.

"You have mosquitoes. I have the press."

After reading the comment section of the Daily Fail a few times, I came to realize that there is a serious lack of intelligent thought put into the commentator's postings but they're rather a contest to see who can say the nastiest things and get away with it. It most likely is done for ego stroking by looking at their own comments that are out there for the rest of the world to see.

I do have to admit though that recently I almost fell out of my chair seeing the comments on an article in the Fail that were 95% in favor of Charles. It happened when it was announced that Charles' spider letters would be made available to the public domain.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure Natasha has much to do with it. Wasn't there that story that Catherine pointed to Chris outside Zara's wedding back in 2011, pre-Natasha.
I think Chris and Arthur Edwards are genuinely nice to the royals, and treat them as human beings instead of as a cash register. So the royals throw a little extra love their way. I'm guessing the more surly photogs see Chris as a brown noser. They can't hate on Arthur directly because he's a royal photog legend.
I like your theory. I kind of believe this is the case indeed. I read somewhere that Chris Jackson does private photoshoots for the Cambridges too. He seems to be a nice man actually .
I read this beautiful article on Arthur Edwards. William seems to like him so you might be right. He also said to Catherine on the steps of the Lindo Wing: 'Look, there's Arthur, wave at Arthur' (or something). The royals have their favourites.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Blunt and to the point, the best statement I've ever heard has to be the simple, succinct and most likely forever immortalized as one of the Duke of Edinburgh's best.

"You have mosquitoes. I have the press."

After reading the comment section of the Daily Fail a few times, I came to realize that there is a serious lack of intelligent thought put into the commentator's postings but they're rather a contest to see who can say the nastiest things and get away with it. It most likely is done for ego stroking by looking at their own comments that are out there for the rest of the world to see.

I do have to admit though that recently I almost fell out of my chair seeing the comments on an article in the Fail that were 95% in favor of Charles. It happened when it was announced that Charles' spider letters would be made available to the public domain.
I loved that! And I say that as someone who respects The Guardian. It was funny to see it bite them in the butt. The Guardian paid all this money to expose Charles as some sort of evil mastermind, but instead Charles was seen as quirky and well-meaning. Also, most of his memo's fell in line with The Guardian's own sociopolitical views, that was salt in their wound.

I notice every time the media attempts a smear it almost always backfires. It reminds me of when Wimbledon officials described how sweet Catherine was and how she sent them a handwritten 'thank you' letter back in 2008. The Daily Mail asked for a copy of that letter for an article, but instead of calling her polite in the article, they bashed her for having a spelling mistake. The people in the comments were 99% in Catherine's favor, and they brought up how The Daily Fail is known to be error filled, and so they had a lot of nerve to be so nasty over something so harmless.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Here they are either playing dumb, or they have no spatial awareness. There was a "lack of space" because the hanger was filled with serviceman and their families who were watching the farewell ceremony. When The Queen was there in 2011 for a causal visit, there were no families, hence more room. It was up to the RAF to decide who got dibs on the limited space. They made a classy decision in choosing their wives/husbands/children/parents, with the little remaining room being for local Welsh press and a few press pool reporters from London. If the tabloid reporters expected to be invited at the expense of the families, then that says a lot more about them than it does the RAF staff.
Yes the RAF organised this event but I was using it as a recent example of something which involves William and Kate and annoys the media, rightly or wrongly the more frustrated the media get the more likely they are to hit out by writing negative articles about W&K (even if the royal couple themselves weren't involved in the decision)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes the RAF organised this event but I was using it as a recent example of something which involves William and Kate and annoys the media, rightly or wrongly the more frustrated the media get the more likely they are to hit out by writing negative articles about W&K (even if the royal couple themselves weren't involved in the decision)
That's on the media. If they have to resort to dishonesty to justify their smear campaign, then their beef was obviously too weak to begin with.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Serene Highness

True, i'm not saying the media are right! I'm saying many in the media have an issue with W&K or what they see as a lack of access to them and that is going to create issues for the couple like the recent negative articles about William.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Last year, a network pulled out of an interview with Charles because of the demands imposed by CH.

Quote:
Channel 4 News has turned down an interview with the Prince of Wales after refusing to sign a “draconian” contract with a string of demands including the pre-vetting of all questions and right to control editing.

The extremely tight level of control and censorship has not stopped some outlets from broadcasting interviews: Sky News ran an interview late last month covering topics including global warming. A spokesman for Sky News refused to comment on the broadcaster’s decision to agree to the terms laid down by Clarence House.

However, Channel 4 News felt that it could not conduct an interview under such terms, which included a 15-page contract full of limitations and restrictions. It cancelled an interview with Prince Charles that was due to be conducted by Jon Snow on Sunday at the British ambassador’s residence in Paris, on the eve of the Paris climate change talks.
Read more: Channel 4 News cancels Prince Charles interview due to 'draconian' demands | Media | The Guardian

Prince Charles' Interview Demands With Jon Snow Labelled 'North Korea Style Censorship'
Old 02-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charles plays it smart. He knows they're trying to trip him up,so he has to be extra careful about what he'll talk about. It's better to give no interview, then to give a soundbite that will hang over your head.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I was just pointing out there will always be complaints from the media no matter what royals do

They're either being too open or they don't talk enough
Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I agree. I was just pointing out there will always be complaints from the media no matter what royals do

They're either being too open or they don't talk enough
I don't think there is such a thing as 'too open' as far as the media is concerned.If they had their way there would be a live stream to the royals 24/7, Big Brother: The Windsor Castle Edition. Thus the media will never be satisfied. They will continue to seethe about being excluded from the inner bosom of the BRF.

Thankfully, all the current HRHs are astute enough to be wary of the press and their traps.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That's on the media. If they have to resort to dishonesty to justify their smear campaign, then their beef was obviously too weak to begin with.

Speaking of such a thing....William's speech from earlier this week is now up at the Official Site for the Wales, Cambridges and Prince Harry and....

What a shocking surprise!! There was no mention of anything regarding the current issue of the UK staying in the EU. Yes, there were comments about the work The Foreign Office does in Europe for the UK, but you'd expect such a thing in a speech to a room of Diplomats and Future Aspiring Diplomats, wouldn't you?

As expected. The reaction of Emily Andrews and Palmer the other day were exactly what I thought : A Kangaroo Court.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

However there are many people who don't read the speech, or even the articles, and are convinced that William made a political statement - just as they believe that The Queen's comment before the Scottish referendum was also unwise.

The press do influence public opinion and the BRF aren't able to control that all that much - other than the way William has tried with threats of legal action etc ... but that can backfire with the press simply making up stories and making them worse than they really are to turn people the way they won't them to go.

The way to avoid that is to work with the press and ensure good relations exist. William doesn't appear to want to work with the press or have good relations with them - except for his chosen one or two and that will probably not work as the others will simply write more and more negative stories.

To avoid negative stories William and Kate are need to see the big picture and not put their heads in the sand and assume that William will always get good press, simply because he is Diana's son - he needs to earn the good will on his own and he is not doing that at the moment.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Some recent Twitter conversations of Dickie Arbiter. I like how he sets the record straight regarding media coverage of Diana and how in the early years most of the focus was on her clothes, and IMO interest in what Diana wore never really abated, but it took years for the media to move beyond covering Diana only as a fashion plate.

Quote:
Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie Feb 21
Hacks doing to Kate what they did to Diana. She's not a clothes horse for god's sake. - learn from history
Kate Middleton's off-duty look is worth £3,028 | Daily Mail Online

royal whispers ‏@royalwhisper Feb 21
@RoyalDickie @marilynsrylblog The press covered Diana's work, royal charities, royal duties as well as her clothes. Kate rarely works.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie Feb 21 Dickie Arbiter
You obviously missed her first five year which began 35 years ago!!

Marilyn Braun ‏@marilynsrylblog 19h19 hours ago
@RoyalDickie @royalwhisper yes, I have at least a dozen books from that time period and they are all about her fashions.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie 19h19 hours ago
I rest my case - amen to that

Quote:
Marilyn Braun ‏@marilynsrylblog 19h19 hours ago @RoyalDickie @royalwhisper being taken seriously must have been extremely frustrating for Diana in the early years.

Extremely frustrating for all of us & hete we are 30 or so years on and a new crop of hacks are repeating history

Quote:

@KatRousaki @RoyalDickie @royalwhisper if Diana was still alive (54 years old) I don't think we would be talking about her in same way now.

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie 19h19 hours ago @marilynsrylblog @KatRousaki @royalwhisper - Probably not but then W&K would have deferred to her leaving hacks out in the cold

@RoyalDickie @KatRousaki @royalwhisper I don't know behind scenes & you have more experience than me. Would she really have advised that?

Dickie Arbiter Retweeted Marilyn Braun
Hard to say - her death changed the way royals were reported on but 3 decades on & back to same old.

https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...41956027318272
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie
Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As far as the royals and the media goes, I don't think anything so far has been as awful, as crude and rude as this upcoming "documentary" series that is to debut on Channel 5 in the UK. Its been posted about in the General News and Information for Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh.

I don't want to start discussions in two different threads on the same subject but this bears pointing to as from the thread topic it covers all of the media.

I think this upcoming "show" will damage the relationship between the BRF and the media even more than anything up until now has.

Just my 2 cents worth.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Some recent Twitter conversations of Dickie Arbiter. I like how he sets the record straight regarding media coverage of Diana and how in the early years most of the focus was on her clothes, and IMO interest in what Diana wore never really abated, but it took years for the media to move beyond covering Diana only as a fashion plate.

https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...41956027318272
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie
Is Dickie Arbiter interesting to follow? I threw out the other guy because of his moaning about the lack of access he&the media got to George and Charlotte.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

I think Iluvbertie hit the right point, William needs to learn to try to work with the media better. Yes they moan all the time and he can't change that, equally he can't blame genuine royal reporters for the actions of photographers who have nothing to do with the organisations for which they work.
I think most UK papers are very fair in not buying or publishing pictures of W&K and especially the children, from photographers.
Rather than threatening legal action all the time he could work more with those papers and news organisations that do follow the rules.
When it comes the media a very petulant side of William comes out and IMO he does need to act with a little more maturity.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
[...]

When it comes the media a very petulant side of William comes out and IMO he does need to act with a little more maturity.
Petulant? More maturity? The media mercilessly hunted his mother, the media drove his mother to her death. The media even had no any consideration when she was fighting for life in that car, in that ambulance.... No wonder the Prince has a reserved and restraint attitude towards the media...

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press