The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:24 PM

One reporter also said this tour was too Hollywood. Um? Where? Specifics please?

Old 11-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The Australian reporters are also a stark contrast to the UK reporters on the Suva market issue.

There is also an article out today by UK media that said Meghan didn't speak enough and she stood there like a good wife of the past. 3 speeches in 5 days isn't enough for them? When was the last time we got that much from a royal spouse on the first major tour?
Know what would have happened had Meghan spoken more than she did? The UK media would be putting out emergency bulletins that Meghan was trying to overshadow Harry and then take it from there in a direction I don't even want to *think* about.

It was refreshing to read the Australian and the New Zealand coverage of the tour because, frankly, it was positive and drew us right along with them as they followed Harry and Meghan.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness

Emily Andrews initial report on Suva implied Meghan was at fault. She has since changed her mind and even went out of her way on the latest ON HEIR podcast to explain it was another reporter who implied it but she didn’t agree.

I do think overall the coverage was fair but their needs to over dramatized things and then act shocked by the media reaction is annoying. So I’m glad that American reporter called it out in a sense. I also agree with the comment upthread in that we need more diversity in the RRs. This tour made it more obvious.

Overall successful tour. There were some hiccups that they will definitely learn from but seems the countries are pleased with the results. No doubt HMQ is too.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Even so E.A. was quick to say on the podcast (twice) that other reporters (I think it was a couple) heard Meghan ask to leave. So she didn't change her mind IMO...she's just trying to avoid more backlash because she got huge backlash on Twitter when this all went down.

LaRae
Old 11-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Even so E.A. was quick to say on the podcast (twice) that other reporters (I think it was a couple) heard Meghan ask to leave. So she didn't change her mind IMO...she's just trying to avoid more backlash because she got huge backlash on Twitter when this all went down.

LaRae
No matter what happened at the market, it was very clear Meghan wanted to do everything on this tour. I think she outdid herself on her very first major tour. Despite Harry and officials wanting her to rest.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

No it was one (Simon something...) who kept saying he saw Meghan turn to her RPO, so in his opinion she was asking to leave. Emily actually says she didn’t agree with that. They concluded that they didn’t know what happened but at the end the RPOs did their job. The whole thing was unfortunate and somewhat overshadowed her 1st speech.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Emily Andrews initial report on Suva implied Meghan was at fault. She has since changed her mind and even went out of her way on the latest ON HEIR podcast to explain it was another reporter who implied it but she didn’t agree.
That was bull. It was her. In fact, her initial tweet said Meghan left early. That's it. Not even mention the security concerns. Just that she left early.

Then people took her task and tell the whole story, she doubled down again to say there was no chaos or crowding. The reality is, we saw videos from other outlets, mainly Australian, that told a different story. That's why she toned it down. If those footage didn't come to light, she'd still be telling the story she initially told. She has in fact changed the story several time since then.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
A recap from a non royal reporter perspective.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=58894240

I thought it was interesting how he saw things vs the regular RRs.
The distance from the media was mentioned in the BBC article and by Rebecca English on Twitter. I am not sure why they are making that an issue on tour when the couple's focus is completely on their host nation and people they are meeting. Some reporters even confirmed the couple came to the back of the plane and greeted the press on the way back to Sydney for the closing ceremonies.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

How Royal Gossip Work-
https://www.thecut.com/amp/2018/12/r...mpression=true

Great article by Lisa Ryan. I know this belong in the royal family and media thread but unfortunately it’s closed.

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press