The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do know that Arthur Edwards has always been a very respected member of the press corps that have followed the BRF for decades and I don't take his words lightly. He, of all reporters/photographers, would be among the first to notice a real change in how things are done.

Perhaps he *is* right on the money. If I'm not mistaken, the PR staff at KP which Edwards is complaining about deal primarily with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Perhaps what we are seeing as changes in how the media is treated through KP is actually the aftermath somewhat of the Diana years. Both William and Harry are adamant on drawing the red lines in the sand between what is public and what is private and they're taking their own measures to assure that those lines are never crossed. They are protecting not only themselves, but their wives and their families from unwarranted press intrusions. KP staffs acts on behalf of their royals and not the other way around.

The recent surge of attention being played out in the press to Meghan's e(strange)d family didn't help matters at all either. If anything, it gives credence to William and Harry not only drawing red lines in the sand but actually putting up fences with barbed wire to protect those red lines to clearly state what is and what isn't acceptable from the media.

Can we really blame them? I sure can't.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I do know that Arthur Edwards has always been a very respected member of the press corps that have followed the BRF for decades and I don't take his words lightly. He, of all reporters/photographers, would be among the first to notice a real change in how things are done.

Perhaps he *is* right on the money. If I'm not mistaken, the PR staff at KP which Edwards is complaining about deal primarily with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Perhaps what we are seeing as changes in how the media is treated through KP is actually the aftermath somewhat of the Diana years. Both William and Harry are adamant on drawing the red lines in the sand between what is public and what is private and they're taking their own measures to assure that those lines are never crossed. They are protecting not only themselves, but their wives and their families from unwarranted press intrusions. KP staffs acts on behalf of their royals and not the other way around.

The recent surge of attention being played out in the press to Meghan's e(strange)d family didn't help matters at all either. If anything, it gives credence to William and Harry not only drawing red lines in the sand but actually putting up fences with barbed wire to protect those red lines to clearly state what is and what isn't acceptable from the media.

Can we really blame them? I sure can't.
The problem is-the BRF does need the legitimate press/photographers to be on their side. So if KP is looking on them the same as the paparazzi/tabloid press and treating them poorly, they lose allies and the close personal connection that is important.
People like Arthur or Chris Jackson (or former royal photographer Tim Graham) are not the problem. And to treat the folks that behave decently and write real news with a bit of personal to make the BRF come alive, as the same as those that hide in bushes or write gossipy articles filled with innuendo or worse is not right and not the answer to the problem.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe we can move this discussion to the correct thread so we can continue it and not be off topic. I think it is worthy of discussion.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

I agree. Perhaps the Royal Family and the Media is more appropriate for this discussion?
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
Speaking of pre-tour receptions. Does anyone have any info about pre-tour receptions? Are the royals also involved in this reception?

I know Arthur was complaining on a recent radio interview about how they feel there is the lack of access to Meghan and photographers have requested to see Meghan before the Oceania tour.

It's unclear whether he meant a private off the record meeting with her or a pre-tour reception.

I know the the Charles and Camilla do pre-reception tours often and I am not sure of the Cambridges
The pre-tour Reception with some members of the media will happen not too long before the tour kicks off. The Cambridge’s have done these receptions too. Yes, they are off the record.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The problem is-the BRF does need the legitimate press/photographers to be on their side. So if KP is looking on them the same as the paparazzi/tabloid press and treating them poorly, they lose allies and the close personal connection that is important.
People like Arthur or Chris Jackson (or former royal photographer Tim Graham) are not the problem. And to treat the folks that behave decently and write real news with a bit of personal to make the BRF come alive, as the same as those that hide in bushes or write gossipy articles filled with innuendo or worse is not right and not the answer to the problem.
Arthur's employer, The Sun, however is a problem. Also, you can't just be selective about who you block out. Everyone is treated the same, and that's what some of them don't like. The complaint is specifically about Meghan, yet I don't believe she's kept further from them than any of the other young royals. She's not out as much right now, but that'll change come fall.

Some of the comments have given some indication as to why this is happening. It is claimed that they are being kept further away from Meghan compared to before the wedding. So perhaps they should go back and see all that's published and understand why. And btw, Meghan was not kept from the photographers at Ireland despite what Richard Palmer tries to say. The photographers did have access there. We saw the pictures. The photographers are whining because of the lack of access to the front steps at the wedding and the polo game. They got the pictures they wanted, yet it's not enough because they want to stalk her at the lunch.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Courtier

They actually whined about not getting to observe Harry and Meghan eating lunch??!! They are getting really creepy. When Meghan and Harry first started they actually shook hands and said hi to the reporters but apparently the access only led to articles about Meghan breaking protocol or Meghan being too hollywood because she looked in their direction or Meghan being too huggy wuggy. Or the papers would take the photogs pictures and only choose the least flattering photos.

So because Meghan took one selfie their accused her of being too Hollywood and turning the royal family into a reality show. Which is funny because the same people who whined about the reality show are upset because they don't have access to Meghan??!!

So because they are'nt given full reign to manipulate and bash Meghan they will support a false narrative in order to get revenge and also manipulate and bash Meghan. It is not ethical.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Thanks for checking.

TBH, I think we need to remember that the online versions of most of these papers are much, much less reliable than the printed versions.

The printed versions usually contain stories from their first-string reporters. Make no mistake, those first stringers have relationships, access, and a lot of knowledge. They get invited to the Palace for pre-tour receptions. They do know people.

Then you get the online folk, whose entire job is seeing something online, repackaging it, and then slapping it up on the web for clicks. If you see stories that are wildly contradictory, 9/10 they'll be from the online string of reporters.

So it's not so much that the Sun changed their mind. The online Sun was tossing up anything they could find over the weekend. Then today, the print Sun in all likelihood published the story they felt they could verify as credible.

It's one thing to be skeptical and critical of sources; we should all do that. But part of that is recognizing actual expertise and not painting all reporters with a broad brush, or asserting that a mistake invalidate's a reporter's credibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Arthur's employer, The Sun, however is a problem. Also, you can't just be selective about who you block out. Everyone is treated the same, and that's what some of them don't like. The complaint is specifically about Meghan, yet I don't believe she's kept further from them than any of the other young royals.
Jacqui, Hel's post explains the situation very well.

You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

And yes, they are keeping reporters further away from Meghan more now, most likely to protect her from intrusive questions about her father.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Jacqui, Hel's post explains the situation very well. You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

And yes, they are keeping reporters further away from Meghan more now, most likely to protect her from intrusive questions about her father.
Doing so would backfire. Don’t think anyone would abuse the opportunity by asking about her dad. It’s all about getting to know the new senior royal.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Doing so would backfire. Don’t think anyone would abuse the opportunity by asking about her dad. It’s all about getting to know the new senior royal.
Funny how they had months to do that, and we had article after another about broken protocols, not really about the new senior royal.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't trust them an inch. They can get pics when they are out doing their official engagements. Past that leave them alone.

LaRae
Old 08-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:

You can choose to only allow certain reporters access like they did for the wedding photographs.

Seriously, these reporters are too much. I get it, it's their job but bothering someone and intruding in their private life is pure harassment. For the outside world, life a royal is all glitters and gold but one can imagine how they keep themselves together when people are running after them holding cameras.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Special access are only granted on limited basis. NOT on regular engagements. For example, Roya and Rhiannon both have had exclusive interviews, but that's not done at regular engagements where they get access, but not others. There are times when there is a planned door stop to allow them ask a question if there are major events with other royals. And if they started giving special treatments, it wouldn't be to RP or Arthur Edwards at this point, so it wouldn't stop the whining.

And really, do they really need to be right there every time she speaks to anyone else? Or when she eats? They already get a copy of the menu, there is no need for them to know if she slurps when she has her soup or not.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Funny how they had months to do that, and we had article after another about broken protocols, not really about the new senior royal.
They’ve been kept away from Meghan so far and haven’t heard from her in her own right as a senior royal. That can’t last long. The pre-tour reception is for a few good credited members of the media. They wouldn’t cross the line in such a privileged moment.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
They’ve been kept away from Meghan so far and haven’t heard from her in her own right as a senior royal. That can’t last long. The pre-tour reception is for a few good credited members of the media. They wouldn’t cross the line in such a privileged moment.
I would imagine that the members of the media that attend a pre-tour reception would be the ones selected to cover the tour itself. A get together to go over the itinerary, get to know each other, when they'll be in certain places, what the media will and will not have access to. In short, its a prep to get all the ducks in a row before actually leaving on the tour.

As for the rest of the media, there will be press releases in due time and reporters/photographers that are covering the tour will file reports with their specific affiliations daily (I imagine if not more).

Meghan is going to be very up front and visible throughout this down under tour with Harry but, and this is a big but, there will be conditions and certain behavior expected of the media that covers it.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, because she hasn't had an event where she made a speech or there was a need for them to be so close to her.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Yes, because she hasn't had an event where she made a speech or there was a need for them to be so close to her.
She had the one event during the engagement where she did a award thing..public speaking.

LaRae
Old 08-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She had the one event during the engagement where she did a award thing..public speaking.

LaRae
Meghan also participated in a panel last February with William, Kate and Harry for their Royal Foundation. If I recall, she did some speaking there too.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well that was with the rest of them so she won't get credit for that one! lol S

LaRae
Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I was talking about after marriage. That's where all the complaints are with. Not that they didn't get enough access to her before marriage or even just after marriage (in fact, they admitted she's not the first one they've had this amount of access to), but the access has been reduced since the wedding.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press