The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Ultimately, everything rolls up to BP. The reality is that they all have a lot of freedoms today to run their own office.
Yes everything roles up to BP.

But it’s The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary, Simon Case, and The Duchess of Cambridge’s private secretary, Catherine Quinn, who are members of the Lord Chamberlain’s committee, which oversees the household on behalf of the Queen.

None of Harry or Meghan’s personal staff are on the committee.

The committee is responsible for policy making and overall direction of the royal households.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Yes everything roles up to BP.

But it’s The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary, Simon Case, and The Duchess of Cambridge’s private secretary, Catherine Quinn, who are members of the Lord Chamberlain’s committee, which oversees the household on behalf of the Queen.

None of Harry or Meghan’s personal staff are on the committee.

The committee is responsible for policy making and overall direction of the royal households.
And Duchess of Cambridge's Private Secretary wasn't on that committee either until very recently. Even on the committee, I doubt everyone has equal weight in what they say. The direction of the royal household is up to the top lady. The heir and his wife and his heir and his heir's wife have their private secretary on there to ensure continuity. Unless they plan on cutting off supporting charitable causes, I doubt we'll see it have much effect on Harry and Meghan's work. And when Charles does become king, the dynamic will change again, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Meghan and Harry's office begin to roll up under Charles' directly rather than the current structure.

But again, this has little impact on my original point of Samantha Cohen's role and how it would play out for Harry and Meghan and the media after the summer.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.

The thing of discarding people is something that every human being does in life, it is called ...*moving on*. There is nothing wrong with anyone moving on or discarding people as times change, people change, jobs move, careers take at different path, so this talk and blaming Meghan for *discarding people* is just a bunch of BS.......we all do it in our lives and to get rid of the people that want to hurt us, what the heck is wrong with that may I ask? NO one has the right to abuse or hurt another human being in any form what so ever.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Majesty

“As far as I can see the pitchfork brigade have just regarded anything not 100% gushing as racist ever since with no evidence. There is a school of thought that if someone perceives something as racist it must be so but surely there must be some evidence of intent,thought process?”

This is Richard Palmer’s response to a Twitter comment. You see this on various blogs and websites. If you’re not gushing about Meghan, it’s because you’re racist.

It’s not doing Meghan any favours.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I remember being assured [on this forum] that [the then] Ms Markle was SO conversant and 'at ease' with the media that it would be 'a breeze' for her to deal with them...
Under normal circumstances I think she would have been mostly fine--but these are not even close to being "normal circumstances"--dealing with most of your biological immediate family being difficult and hateful towards you in the media while you are adjusting to a new husband, new lifestyle and new job.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

BTW, Osipi made a good point in the other thread about there possibly being a reason media is kept further away from Meghan now due to the drama with her father and preventing press from shouting questions about that at her and try to catch a reaction. I very much agree with this assessment. As per Richard Palmer's own account, this wasn't always the case, it's since the wedding. So why would you need to protect someone at this length now when you've not seen the need to go that far in the past? The only thing that has changed is the drama that's been going on. Also very much a one-sided fight, I should add.

Interesting time of everything. Jess Ilse from Royal Central just put out this piece.

The Duchess of Sussex deserves so much better than how she has been treated – Royal Central
Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Majesty

It’s an opinion piece. This particular opinion piece praises all things Meghan, but it’s no more valid than opinions which state negatives about Meghan.

It’s just an example of how we believe the positive stories when it comes to a particular royal we like, and dismiss the negative as just ‘noise’
Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It’s an opinion piece. This particular opinion piece praises all things Meghan, but it’s no more valid than opinions which state negatives about Meghan.

It’s just an example of how we believe the positive stories when it comes to a particular royal we like, and dismiss the negative as just ‘noise’
Wow, I didn't get that the Royal Central article was an article praising Meghan so much as a criticism of those who attack Meghan for the money they can make off her.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
“She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.
I am pretty sure Richard was referring to the Markles, not Meghan. Though I have no doubt the royals leak stories to balance things out. I suspect it’s been happening quite a bit lately all around with a few of them.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
And we wonder why these young royals put so much effort into being "under the radar" and keeping their private lives private. Its a much needed defense mechanism to keep from going totally insane and being able to breathe without people nitpicking over every little aspect of their lives.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
And we wonder why these young royals put so much effort into being "under the radar" and keeping their private lives private. Its a much needed defense mechanism to keep from going totally insane and being able to breathe without people nitpicking over every little aspect of their lives.
Right! I wonder how we all would hold up under the kind of scrutiny that their lives are under. Some of the things that get nitpicked are really so inconsequential.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Courtier

I think it must be terrible being a minor Royal who gets targeted by a Senior Royal for having "attention-stealing" benign or favorable press. The zero-sum game situation that Mark Bolland played.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 AM
Serene Highness

I fully agree with Palmer that the KP set needs to take a leaf out of the CH book and be more accessible. Harry was very good about that IMO up until the last 1.5 years where he seems to have shut down more. I do not think it has been to his benefit. I thoroughly enjoy Camilla's engagements because she makes comments to the press and allows for interaction. It makes for good copy.

But, as I have been following Palmer's twitter discussion, I've become increasingly more frustrated. I believe for far too long many royal reporters have been rather lazy in their approach, looking for the hot takes or relying only on the KP briefings instead of actually working for a story. I do not mean they should only be discussing fluff or positive stories, but that they should be doing more substantive journalism. Royal stories are riddled with inaccuracies that casual royal watchers can spot. There is little effort to try to dig deeper into the issues the royals are promoting. I exclude Rhiannon and Royah from this because I do think their reporting interesting.

Instead, they have defaulted to the likes of the Markles and baseless speculation. The Markles were newsy when they first showed the dysfunction. But now? They are mere observers like the rest of us with no insight. Why give them copy? Palmer's whining was very unbecoming. Either you want to be a journalist or a gossip blogger. Threatening to only write negative stories if you do not get better access? What are the royal reporters children who don't get their cake? I know not all royal journalists are this way, but Palmer can especially be whiny and so can Rebecca English when folks call them out on their crap.

He also used MORTON of all people as a reliable source and than lashed out at people who very reasonably pointed out he was wrong about Meghan having 0 pre-Suits friends at the wedding. He was dead wrong about that but refused t be corrected.

And I side-eye his "well we only print what is newsy." The same excuse of "newsworthiness" was trotted out when papers blasted images of Kate's dress flying up on engagements. That isn't newsy, its sexist and violating. And the nitpicking and dog whistles against Meghan are racist, sexist. I call BS on the whole line he was using. It isn't ok with Kate and it isn't ok with Meghan either. Those stories or images do nothing to promote a free press or to advance information/accountability. They are there to be salacious and appeal to the basest readers.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Nobility

For all the complaining from the press recently do we as watchers really feel any effects of this reported lack of access? To me it doesn't seem like we are getting less photos or information than we regularly do about any other senior members of the royal family.

I have no doubt behind closed doors the Sussexes are not happy with the media for giving the Markles their current platform but professionally this lack of access compliant hasn't resulted in any gap of coverage, photos, or information. The press are still invited to events and given all the relevant information.

What more are the media asking for at this point?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Majesty

They, including Richard Palmer, are hoping for a comment that might be considered controversial from Meghan, something from the newest member of the RF that will 'enliven' any article, will cause comment, help with the clicks. At base tabloid newspapers aren't interested in Royal engagements that go like clockwork, anodyne remarks that no-one could take offence to. They are interested in Meghan simply because she and Harry might provide interesting stories that will create a spark, negative usually, among their readers.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Closed for moderator review.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Nobility

Speaking of pre-tour receptions. Does anyone have any info about pre-tour receptions? Are the royals also involved in this reception?

I know Arthur was complaining on a recent radio interview about how they feel there is the lack of access to Meghan and photographers have requested to see Meghan before the Oceania tour.

It's unclear whether he meant a private off the record meeting with her or a pre-tour reception.

I know the the Charles and Camilla do pre-reception tours often and I am not sure of the Cambridges
Old 08-22-2018, 03:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
Speaking of pre-tour receptions. Does anyone have any info about pre-tour receptions? Are the royals also involved in this reception?

I know Arthur was complaining on a recent radio interview about how they feel there is the lack of access to Meghan and photographers have requested to see Meghan before the Oceania tour.

It's unclear whether he meant a private off the record meeting with her or a pre-tour reception.

I know the the Charles and Camilla do pre-reception tours often and I am not sure of the Cambridges

The press will have plenty of opportunity to get pictures of Meghan with three upcoming events. As for her not talking to the media KP is not risking her being exposed to gotcha questions about the Markles.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
KP is actually doing what its supposed to be doing. The media complains that they cannot hear anything Meghan has to say. The truth is that anything that Meghan or Harry or any royal has to say when on an engagement will be in relation to what they are doing, why they are there and for the purpose of bringing that event to the forefront. KP issues a press release to the media regarding the event and to be honest, the event should be the sole purpose of any media's coverage.

The media is being allowed to cover the event. Its not a press conference where Meghan is expected to answer press questions. The media is being shown a courtesy but in my eyes, its poor form to complain about a courtesy being extended. Its called getting an inch and wanting a mile. Those that are there for the sole purpose of trying to get a reaction or statement from Meghan in relation to anything outside of the purpose for which she is there in first place don't deserve to be extended courtesies.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think there are a lot of people in the media out there who complain about any access/lack of access and will never be happy.
But when someone like Arthur Edwards who has spent 40+ years covering the royals says things are changing that is worth noting. He has covered the Queen, Charles, Diana etc and it is clear that KP are changing the 'rules' as to how things usually happen and having less contact with the media outside of attending public events.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press