The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Richard wrote that because one of his followers called him out and asked him to share his thoughts because he was quiet about the Markle saga when his fellow royal reporters weren't. So he did.

I remember the person who threatened Emily Andrews. It was a troll on an account with like 3 followers (clearly a new one) and that person was reported and called out by a lot of people -- pro Sussex as well. It was extremely uncalled for.

I don't really agree with a lot of what Richard said and it was interesting to read his replies to those reacting to his comments. At times I felt he lost his point or proved theirs. But I do think he did make sense regarding some things and I agree that press will be the press. People expecting it to change will always be disappointed.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:41 AM
Serene Highness

About the Markle circus and Palmer’s statement “It’s a story.” The world is full of ‘stories’ but not all of them are worthy of being published.
That’s the real issue here, what is the value or even relevance of repeatedly publishing ‘stories’ from estranged family? Meghan’s not speaking to her father’s side of the family, they are unhappy about that - that’s the whole ‘story’ - the rest is just the press being willing participants in enabling & even manufacturing ongoing drama by repeatedly going to the irrelevant relatives and publishing their threats and abuse towards Meghan.
The second issue is that the writer and the publication have absolute control over how they cover the ‘story.’ They’ve chosen to sensationalize the ‘story,’ to publish emotionally abusive and caustic statements from the Markles, writers suggest Meghan is at fault for cutting off contact, etc., etc.. Their crass sensationalism attracts a certain audience and I’d submit that it’s no surprise that that audience has more than it’s share of irrational people.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Royal Highness

I think it is quite interesting that the media who dishes out this hate and meanness now cries wolf.....I have often felt that the media are always trying to manipulate the very people that read their news and anyone else who jumps on board. Just from personal experience many decades ago I have learned to never trust those that write what they want us to read, we as individuals should always go after and find out the facts for ourselves before we jump or endorse those that are called journalist. As the saying goes, it you can dish it out then you better be ready to take it....

There is no excuse of violence of any kind, yet this is the world we live in today and must try to over come it at all costs yet the media is still supporting the very hatred and threats that the Markle's keeping doing to Meghan and other members of the royal family. The media gives the money to the ones with the loudest mouths and the worst drama they produce the better and if that is not supporting violence then I do not know what violence is. The *true* media long before social media came on board I believe that they wanted the truth and supported their country....today it is all about the next 15 minutes of fame for the reporter who gets the scope......I have no sympathy for the media....nor *Trust*.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Journalists are being kept at bay from Meghan:
Royal reporter : 'Journalists are kept at a distance from Meghan'

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, I think this is a good thing. Not only to allow her to adjust to her royal role but also to ensure that there's distance between the reporters and Meghan so that its impossible to ask her questions. I can imagine what the top most questions asked of her would be too. She doesn't need to be heckled into giving any kind of a response.

So... better safe than sorry.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, I think this is a good thing. Not only to allow her to adjust to her royal role but also to ensure that there's distance between the reporters and Meghan so that its impossible to ask her questions. I can imagine what the top most questions asked of her would be too. She doesn't need to be heckled into giving any kind of a response.

So... better safe than sorry.
This is the same problem the media have with Catherine. The media feel like they are being kept away from these senior royal ladies and they can’t properly report on their work and passions. So it’s why we get tons on media coverage on their wardrobes and other silly stuff.

I do think it’s important to give both Meghan and Catherine their space when on the job. Although, I do understand some of the media’s frustrations. I too feel like we don’t get a lot of chances to hear from the royal ladies on the issues that very important to them.

Meghan just started her royal career, and she needs the time to grow in her royal role and carve her path, but it’s gonna be a problem if the media is kept at a distance and don’t get a chance to report on the important things we should know about.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember being assured [on this forum] that [the then] Ms Markle was SO conversant and 'at ease' with the media that it would be 'a breeze' for her to deal with them...
Old 08-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

It would be understandable for the media to have complaints that they're being kept a bay away from Meghan *if* it wasn't for the fact that right now, its their publications that doing what they can to print stories and interviews with the mindset that its OK to print garbage being spewed out of the mouths of people that really don't matter and for now, they're the publications "cash cows".

Right now, in this time and place, I don't see the "royal reporters" itching to get their hands on Meghan's outlook for her work, her thoughts on her passions or anything that would be called journalistic reporting. They want the "scoop" to keep the War of the Markles going full steam ahead and the money flowing into their bank accounts.

Meghan *is* adept at handling the press and speaking in public but I would bet my last bowl of cottage cheese with mandarin oranges that she never, in her wildest dreams, would have thought she'd be dealing with a pack of media more interested in her personal life and troubles with her e(strange)d family.

I do believe things would be much, much different as far as the media is concerned if all of Meghan's e(strange)d family behaved as respectable human beings instead of being hell bent on denigrating, demeaning and exploiting her.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I remember being assured [on this forum] that [the then] Ms Markle was SO conversant and 'at ease' with the media that it would be 'a breeze' for her to deal with them...
As I'm sure if she has to do public speaking or an interview when the time comes, she'd be nothing but comfortable with it. However, this isn't an interview that he's talking about. He's complaining that they are being kept too far from her when she's interacting with others at an event. She is also allowed some privacy to deal with her personal issue that she shouldn't have to comment about.

My issue with Richard Palmer's whining yesterday was that 1) he put the blame on association with the Sussex wrongly and 2) he whined about being held responsible for the actions of those in his profession in thesame breath blaming Harry for actions of trolls. Look, internet trolls are internet trolls. They will be there no matter who it is. Report them on Twitter, call them out, and report to the police when necessary. I'm all for that regardless of who it is. But to somehow put this on the Sussexes and group an entire group with actions of a few all the while complaining about others doing something similar to you is not helping matters.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Majesty

If Harry has told Meghan anything about royal life, it’s the tabloid press is relentless and attacking.

So as uncomfortable and maybe embarrassing as her family is, none of it should come as a surprise to Meghan.

I think the press is being kept at a distance until Meghan becomes fully comfortable with the BRF family way of doing things.

I think her first instinct is to still think of herself as an American celebrity who can virtue signal on just about anything.

Her comments in Ireland confirm this. It’s one of the reasons I think the Queen wanted Samantha Cohen to step in for six months. She’s an experienced courtier who can guide Meghan and Harry as they make this transition.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh for goodness' sake, give the virtue signaling a break. I'm not seeing how most of the work done by the royal in advocating for change is any different than what Meghan did before. Of course, some like to believe it's all for show in the media. It's difficult for some to believe celebrities can really want to do good and have passion for serious issues like others apparently. Especially when they don't have to. However, given her belief in equal rights started at the tender age of 11, I highly doubt anyone can accuse an 11 year old of virtue signaling. It's not like she needed to get in front of press at that young age and knew decades down the road that she'd be the Duchess of Sussex and it'll all be played out in the media.

Samantha Cohen is joining the Sussex's office as it is an important transitional time for them. As ELF set up the private office for Harry, it's now just as important to set the tone for their office together. And Samantha Cohen will be invaluable in that. However, let's not take that as another chance to drag Meghan a bit. Samantha Cohen also has press office experience (I believe she was in the communication office first), so it'll be interesting to see if the way Sussexes will handle the media change going forward.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She knows how to deal with the media, but in the lane she was used to dealing with them previously. She’s now in a different ball game. Although I think she will do very well once she’s officially launched in her own right. I think that’s coming in the fall.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Majesty

“She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
“She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.
I don't believe he meant her, but rather the Markles, on the leaking.

As for her discarding people, that was a disgusting and unfounded comments. She has plenty of people in her life that's been there for decades. Just because she's not close to, and rightfully so, some family members and an old friend (who according to her is the one that discarded Meghan), doesn't mean she discards people. If that's the case, I'm sure we've all "discarded" people in our lives and Meghan shouldn't be singled out here.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Samantha Cohen is joining the Sussex's office as it is an important transitional time for them. As ELF set up the private office for Harry, it's now just as important to set the tone for their office together. And Samantha Cohen will be invaluable in that. However, let's not take that as another chance to drag Meghan a bit. Samantha Cohen also has press office experience (I believe she was in the communication office first), so it'll be interesting to see if the way Sussexes will handle the media change going forward.
Ultimately, every office in KP is subordinate to The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary.

So Samantha Cohen will be helping to guide Meghan and Harry, but just like ELF, she answers to Simon Case.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Any way we look at it, its obvious that the "Firm" is doing whatever it can to assure that Meghan is able to adapt and feel comfortable going ahead in her new role. Its a process and knowing that things are geared to helping her adjust and get comfortable shows the support she has behind her no matter what the reasons are.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ultimately, every office in KP is subordinate to The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary.

So Samantha Cohen will be helping to guide Meghan and Harry, but just like ELF, she answers to Simon Case.
While that might be the case officially. I highly doubt Simon Case will be up in Harry and Meghan's business. Unless something goes egregious wrong, they've all got their lanes. Ultimately, it all goes up to the top lady, but I highly doubt the Queen is stepping in unless she needs to. Every company has an official reporting change, but in this case, if Meghan and Harry aren't happy with a member of their staff, it's up to them, not Simon Case to decide they stay or go.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
While that might be the case officially. I highly doubt Simon Case will be up in Harry and Meghan's business. Unless something goes egregious wrong, they've all got their lanes. Ultimately, it all goes up to the top lady, but I highly doubt the Queen is stepping in unless she needs to. Every company has an official reporting change, but in this case, if Meghan and Harry aren't happy with a member of their staff, it's up to them, not Simon Case to decide they stay or go.
This I agree. Meghan and Harry’s affairs are theirs to deal with on a day to day basis. It’s up to them to hire and fire staff within their office.

I was just pointing out that ultimately within KP the buck stops with Simon Case
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
One should not be surprised with such developments. One can assume that eternal wailing of the herd is to accompany the British royal family.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This I agree. Meghan and Harry’s affairs are theirs to deal with on a day to day basis. It’s up to them to hire and fire staff within their office.

I was just pointing out that ultimately within KP the buck stops with Simon Case
Ultimately, everything rolls up to BP. The reality is that they all have a lot of freedoms today to run their own office.

But to the point I was making. It'd be interesting to see if there are any changes on how Harry and Meghan's office will choose to deal with media under Samantha's influence.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press