The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Isn't it interesting, Arthur Edwards, Gentleman and Royal Photographer, has gotten what he wanted. He is the voice for all those who were not the one that scored the inside job or the one just outside the Chapel.

The man is a disingenuous creep blaming "the boys" and in particular Harry. The boys grew into men over a decade ago, or perhaps he missed it. Harry has won his last complaint against the Mail Online for breaching the law, just as William did before him.

Unlike their father or grandfathers generation, they do not see any virtue in suffering in silence when the paparazzi pick, pry and just plain broke the law. But Arthur wants to stick it to Harry for no other reason than the wedding is being held at St Georges and not Westminster Abbey, because geography is the source of the access problem.

Essentially, the road is a dead end and H & M arranged for a special group to be opposite the Chapel door the steps will be lined and the stairs basically used in lieu of the "Balcony" as Windsor doesn't have a balcony and is on private and secure land, photos are going to be taken there.

Arthur knows this but it doesn't sound nearly as nasty and entitled as "Harry snubbing the Media". And he wonders why they don't like the press!
Except a photographer who has covered royal weddings at St. Georges before have said there wasn't an issue of space at those weddings.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think they had as large of a guest list or need for space at other weddings there.

LaRae

Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Majesty

I think we have to remember there will be a couple of thousand guests who will be outside and likely to get as near to the steps as they can for a good view. They'll be milling about, taking up space.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
Except a photographer who has covered royal weddings at St. Georges before have said there wasn't an issue of space at those weddings.
EXcept none of them had covered a royal wedding that has this much security risk there. The terror level isn’t the same as the last royal wedding that was held there.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Courtier

As a former journalist, I can't help but roll my eyes at the photographer's complaints. This is all about them as individuals, not their publications, and they seem to lack the imagination to realize they still have some really good, if different from the past, opportunities in this situation. No, they won't all get their credit on the exact photo as every other royal photographer because they won't all be in the exact same place with the exact same angle. The one photographer inside will be working pool, which means everything taken by that photog will be available to the media as a whole; I wouldn't be surprised if a similar requirement is being made of those few outside the door to St. George's. But beyond that every one of these photographers gets a fairly unique spot to potentially take photos that no one else has. They all still get a chance at that golden photo of whatever moment or gesture we can't predict, only now whoever gets it will get their credit in a lot of places rather than having the impact be diluted by the fact that every other guy in a crowded media pen got it, too.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
As a former journalist, I can't help but roll my eyes at the photographer's complaints. This is all about them as individuals, not their publications, and they seem to lack the imagination to realize they still have some really good, if different from the past, opportunities in this situation. No, they won't all get their credit on the exact photo as every other royal photographer because they won't all be in the exact same place with the exact same angle. The one photographer inside will be working pool, which means everything taken by that photog will be available to the media as a whole; I wouldn't be surprised if a similar requirement is being made of those few outside the door to St. George's. But beyond that every one of these photographers gets a fairly unique spot to potentially take photos that no one else has. They all still get a chance at that golden photo of whatever moment or gesture we can't predict, only now whoever gets it will get their credit in a lot of places rather than having the impact be diluted by the fact that every other guy in a crowded media pen got it, too.
That's what I was thinking as well would happen. I just can't imagine the royal family gives an "exclusive" to anyone for profit. But some seem to think I'm wrong on that.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It was Clarence House who acted. It was because The Sun published paparazzi pics. So The Sun tabloid was banned from future photo calls. It just happens Arthur Edwards is their snapper. It wasn’t anything personal. They still get along.

Edit: Arthur didn’t take the pics
So you are ok with the photographer being punished for the coverage by the paper they work for. There goes the photographers shouldn't be punished for the coverage by their paper argument. Or is it only ok when some do it, but not others?
Old 05-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Here’s an example of what they’re complaining about.

Take the Lindo Wing. Rather than just have one PA photographer out front and that one person shares his or her pics with everyone else, there is a large media pen set up with hundreds of snappers and tv crews.

They all compete with each for front pages and magazine covers.

That’s their issue with Harry’s wedding.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
So you are ok with the photographer being punished for the coverage by the paper they work for. There goes the photographers shouldn't be punished for the coverage by their paper argument. Or is it only ok when some do it, but not others?
My opinion doesn’t count. I didn’t ban anyone. You’ll have to ask Clarence House.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It's absolutely fair. When you work directly for a publication you are evaluated in the context of that publication. The only way to escape that is working freelance. Every job has it's trade-offs; that's one that comes with being a staff photog.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

I could be wrong but Arthur Edwards is the only royal photog I can think of that actually works solely for a newspaper. All of the ones Im familiar with via Twitter work for Getty, Rex Shutterstock, PA or are freelance. So photographers are being restricted for stories reporters are writing. Its odd IMO
Old 05-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Courtier

People are taking this so personally, and it's absurd. Harry has every right to hold photographers at arms length. Reporters too.

The reality is, this is a man who recognizes his role is to support his brother now, but he will, in the not so distant future, be replaced. The idea is to slim down the family, and he and his children will fade away as much as possible. If it were me in that position, I'd tow the line, and do nothing more, especially when it comes to people he distrusts so deeply.

I'm always amazed at Harry's (and yes William's) composure in these situations. This is a man who people demanded grieve the death of his mother publicly, at the age of 12. He was a boy. He had no say in the fact that he was born a royal, but because his mother lived a public life, and was now gone, people demanded to see him. That's disturbing on so many levels. He's been forced to live his life publicly (could he renounce, sure, but he's so far back, why do it at this point. He's all his brother has once their father is gone. He's certainly got a familial obligation and sense of duty to his brother if not his country.). He hasn't had any say in any of it. He found love, and then watched pretty helplessly as the media wrote horrible, horrible things about that woman. He stays quiet, and continues to do his duty as an asset to the Crown. But how much should he be forced to endure. I commend him for putting his foot down and drawing his boundaries.

The same people who moan and groan about this being a lavish state occasion, would also complain if they went completely private. They cannot win.

Be a good person.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Courtier

Harry will not be 'going away' in even the distant future, he'll be working until George is 18 at least. And his and his future wife's upkeep will be paid by the citizens of the UK until the end of their lives, he will never get by with fading away.

But, if it all becomes to much for him he can leave the title and privileges behind and ride his polo pony off into the sunset, no one is stopping him.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Courtier

the only thing the British public pays for is security, i.e., the wedding.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Their upkeep of Harry/Meghan and the Cambridges is paid for by Charles. The Queen pays for the upkeep of Anne/Edward/Sophie/Andrew, the Kents etc. The Queen also pays taxes.

LaRae
Old 05-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
the only thing the British public pays for is security, i.e., the wedding.
No matter how you want to look at it (and I've heard all the explanations for where their upkeep comes from) he owes his position in life to the citizens of the UK. If he doesn't like the downside of that, he can leave.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
No matter how you want to look at it (and I've heard all the explanations for where their upkeep comes from) he owes his position in life to the citizens of the UK. If he doesn't like the downside of that, he can leave.
Harry, among the rest of the royal family do not answer to the public at all. They do not dictate how the "Firm" operates. However, its always good for the British royal family to have a finger on the pulse of the people and garner positive feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Their upkeep of Harry/Meghan and the Cambridges is paid for by Charles. The Queen pays for the upkeep of Anne/Edward/Sophie/Andrew, the Kents etc. The Queen also pays taxes.
So does Charles and if I'm not mistaken, they pay taxes *voluntarily*.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

If you wish to discuss the finances of the BRF, take it to the Royal Wealth and Finance thread. Further off-topic comments will be deleted.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Here’s an example of what they’re complaining about.

Take the Lindo Wing. Rather than just have one PA photographer out front and that one person shares his or her pics with everyone else, there is a large media pen set up with hundreds of snappers and tv crews.

They all compete with each for front pages and magazine covers.

That’s their issue with Harry’s wedding.
You do realize Lindo Wing is on a public street right? They can't prevent them from taking pictures on a public street, just like Harry can't prevent them from taking pictures during the procession. If you criticize one for the behavior, it's only fair to criticize the other for the same behavior.

Quote:
My opinion doesn’t count. I didn’t ban anyone. You’ll have to ask Clarence House.
But you think they are wrong for doing. Or at least you've been trying to say how this is a bad move and photographers shouldn't be made to pay for what the reporters write. Yet, you seem to be ok with Arthur being banned when The Sun published photos he didn't have anything to do with when it was regarding the Cambridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
I could be wrong but Arthur Edwards is the only royal photog I can think of that actually works solely for a newspaper. All of the ones Im familiar with via Twitter work for Getty, Rex Shutterstock, PA or are freelance. So photographers are being restricted for stories reporters are writing. Its odd IMO
That's what Arthur Edwards is speculating. We are just going off that speculation for now because no one else is offering anything. Of course, he's not in Harry's head, nor is he privy to any decision making process.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Arthur Edwards and the lot are whining because they are not having their way, and when individuals don't have their way, that's what they do. Whine, winge and complain.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press