The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Majesty

Actually, I am not sure who they were targeting with their stories, or should I have said what?
  • William was on a ski trip with his old mates.
  • Catherine hates his old mates and didn't even go to many of their weddings.
  • Catherine was left home with the kids (we assume).
  • William was shirking work (not on duty).
  • William was shirking royal duty (not listed to attend).
Has William become lonely for his old friends?
No other wives or girlfriends were there so it wasn't him leaving his wife for the weekend or her refusing to mix.
Was Catherine actually alone at home or did she have plans for the weekend.
The last two are self-explanatory.

I believe they are looking at the mechanics of the Cambridge marriage and trying to stir up or trip over a "problem".

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its very apparent that the media focuses on what seems to be apparent without thinking of things that could be going on behind the scenes and out of the public eyesight. Anything and everything can be read into what things "look" like and the media takes that and runs with it.

For all we know, William was happily sent on the ski trip because with the major in-your-face kind of hectic tour coming up to Paris, Kate's weekend was filled with last minute fittings and alterations to the clothes she was going to wear, there was the hair appointment and the decisions made just which jewelry she was going to wear and if any would be borrowed from the royal vault along with who knows what other details needed to be sorted out.

Now, I was just playing with what "could" possibly be just like the media did with things. Its easy to do. Its just that the media does like to play to the negative slant of things. People love reading about negative things happening in other people's lives for some obscure reason and it generates clicks and draws people to buying their publications. Let's face it. William going skiing and retiring to his room early to call home would be... boring.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Really he had to go on a weekend boys get away because he was doing a two day visit to Paris .. in your face !!! hectic tour !!!
I wasn't going to comment anymore on that subject but some times it's just crazy to keep blaming the media. All royals and all royal families have to deal with it.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Majesty

To be honest, we don't know why he went on that trip at that particular time and we probably never will know. Its really not our business how a person conducts their private lives and what they choose to do or why.

Just pointing out that the media can and does take what seems to be and spins it into something that is not exactly cotton candy and rainbows and unicorns. We, as different people that look at the same thing, form different opinions on what we see also without knowing what is behind curtain #3.

People that are in the limelight and have this happen to them over and over and over again learn to ignore it all and get on with their lives.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Majesty

"it's time for Prince William entered the brexit charm offensive the Europe.
What use is having a Royal Family if not for times such as these?"

The three Brexiteers aren't right for a charm offensive tour of Europe – it's time for Prince William to step up | The Independent
Old 04-23-2017, 04:35 AM
Majesty

IAN HART: The lasting legacy of Princess Diana - Worthing Herald

"It wasn’t that long ago that Prince William was in the news for daring not to attend a Commonwealth event, choosing instead for some ‘R&R’ with friends.
Thankfully, despite the furore, the media stopped short of putting him on trial for treason, like Charles I, or tarring and feathering him, but it was clearly another good old royal storm in a team cup – albeit best bone China.
From the internet conversation with a music icon to Harry revealing he went into counselling over the death of his mother, and TV footage of William stating that, even 20 years on, the shock of Diana’s death still lives with him to this day – groundbreaking, and hopefully it really helps people at their lowest the length and breadth of the nation.
These are the royals this country needs. While this nation will always love and respect the House of Windsor the next generation, specifically these two young men, will transform and take the Royal Family into the 21st century and beyond – which makes all the ‘scandal’ and ‘shame’ of a few weeks ago almost laughable."

Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 AM
Majesty

Very well written article and really makes the silly uproar the media played about William's trip to Switzerland seem as empty words compared to what William and Harry are accomplishing these days.

Thanks for posting it eya.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts regarding Kate's sunbathing photos and the current trial, have been moved to the Catherine and William Closer Magazine and breach of privacy thread. Please continue the discussion there.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Gert's Royals posted this on Twitter. There have been 7 complaints by UK Royals to Independent Press Standards Org over the last 2 yrs.

Of the 7 complaints, The IPSO sided with the Royals on 5 of the complaints and found that the press breached rules.

Interesting note, the 2 failures were for complaints lodged by Prince Harry.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-r...&publications=
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and they also upheld his complaint on one as well, so your point is...?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 AM
Majesty

"What companies could learn from the British monarchy, the most successful business in history The wily royal family has navigated ups and downs for centuries, mastering spin as a way to survive on taxpayer-funded income The wily royal family has navigated ups and downs for centuries, mastering spin as a way to survive on taxpayer-funded income"

What companies could learn from the British monarchy, the most successful business in history - MarketWatch
Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
And I think you are excusing. Some might think tabloids regurgitating each others fabrications and putting their own little spin on things is fine. But I won't justify it.

For example, Back in September 2015, the Sun falsely claimed James Middleton and Donna Air split. People Magazine jumped on the bandwagon - as you can see in this tweet https://twitter.com/people/status/647193821890150400.

Then the couple issued a statement saying they never split. People magazine quickly deleted their original article (though they left the twitter link up, oopsie ). Then they wrote a new article talking about how the couple never split and they took some digs at some of the media that had reported the story, conveniently ignoring their own now deleted article.

They swim in the gutter while pretending to be above the other rags. If it walks like a tabloid, and talks like a tabloid..

I'm a little tired of this topic but if you want to continue this discussion it should probably be in the royals and the media thread, as I think our debating the merits of People Magazine has become off topic in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Ha. You brought it up and were wrong. But I'm more than willing to drop the discussion. Not interested in further debate.
How was I wrong? I've actually explained my point of view. While you just responded with "wrong". What makes you believe People Magazine is the paragon of journalistic virtue?
Old 05-21-2017, 03:35 AM
Majesty

Dang. I just realized something in the past few hours that, to me, really reflects the media when it comes to reporting on any royal or persons of interest because of connections to royalty such as the backlash that has generated over Pippa and James' wedding.

The media takes these people and turns them into their very own "reality stars" and with constantly barraging the public of every little detail, innuendo and outrageous speculation, its turned the public's perception of human beings into being subjects of a reality show where people treat anything reported as gospel and keep coming back for more as a heroin addict looking for their next "fix".

One just has to look at all the instances and explanations of when and where Meghan attended this wedding to realize just how out of whack speculations can get. We've become trained tabloid puppets that we can we can offer our views that "Meghan didn't want to upstage the bride" and "Harry is playing the press on this one" and other similar notions instead of just taking as fact that Harry and Meghan were together in London and that he picked her up for the evening party.

It does remind one of a reality show now doesn't it?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Dang. I just realized something in the past few hours that, to me, really reflects the media when it comes to reporting on any royal or persons of interest because of connections to royalty such as the backlash that has generated over Pippa and James' wedding.

The media takes these people and turns them into their very own "reality stars" and with constantly barraging the public of every little detail, innuendo and outrageous speculation, its turned the public's perception of human beings into being subjects of a reality show where people treat anything reported as gospel and keep coming back for more as a heroin addict looking for their next "fix".

One just has to look at all the instances and explanations of when and where Meghan attended this wedding to realize just how out of whack speculations can get. We've become trained tabloid puppets that we can we can offer our views that "Meghan didn't want to upstage the bride" and "Harry is playing the press on this one" and other similar notions instead of just taking as fact that Harry and Meghan were together in London and that he picked her up for the evening party.

It does remind one of a reality show now doesn't it?

The media give the people want they want. If it's entertainment the sport we go to the clothes, food etc we buy. If people don't click or buy it won't continue. We turn it into a reality show.
People love it. The media do their job.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Nobility

I think a number of factors play into this that didn't exist until the past 20 years or so. The first is the 24 hour news cycle, also the change in how "entertainment" news is presented, the internet and "reality" TV.
Instead of print publications with thoughtful articles we get rumor, just so a publication or news outlet can claim to have gotten the scoop.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think a number of factors play into this that didn't exist until the past 20 years or so. The first is the 24 hour news cycle, also the change in how "entertainment" news is presented, the internet and "reality" TV.
Instead of print publications with thoughtful articles we get rumor, just so a publication or news outlet can claim to have gotten the scoop.
Another thing the internet has done is keep past royal gossip and scandal immediately available like it was something that happened three days ago. Names like Roddy Llewellyn, Madam Vasso, Jimmy Donahue and associated misdeeds are a click away for all to see, not moldering away in some newspapers' archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
The media give the people want they want. If it's entertainment the sport we go to the clothes, food etc we buy. If people don't click or buy it won't continue. We turn it into a reality show.
People love it. The media do their job.

Right. And people love royal photos of seemingly improper behavior, so the tabs pay the paps top dollar for them. That's why the paps are always outside the restaurants when even minor royals are within, because there's a chance of a wardrobe malfunction or some tipsy lurching about. That kind of photo can command thousands, especially if the royal person trips and falls or has something weird like a footprint on the back of their coat.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"What companies could learn from the British monarchy, the most successful business in history The wily royal family has navigated ups and downs for centuries, mastering spin as a way to survive on taxpayer-funded income The wily royal family has navigated ups and downs for centuries, mastering spin as a way to survive on taxpayer-funded income"

What companies could learn from the British monarchy, the most successful business in history - MarketWatch
That is the most stupid, idiotic, ridiculous and ignorant article I've ever read. It shows again that American journalists don't know what they are writing about.

US journalists should be embarrassed by themselves. And I really don't understand how it's possible to write something so stupid.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

I think these past couple of weeks have seen Sarah Duchess of York get the best coverage she's had in years. It's been a honeymoon for her and a real signal of redemption, for want of a better word.

The Duke of York acknowledged her support and assistance with his P@P initiative. She's always supported him in that, but it was nice for him to give her the hat-tip directly to the press. He also referred to her as "the Duchess" which I can't remember him doing since they were married.

Along with being photographed with Queen Rania in Cannes at a charity event, Sarah was feted in Houston during their British Opera events as a special honored guest and received extremely positive local press coverage. That pale lace dress she wore to the opera looked just wonderful, too.

Finally, Sarah was a featured speaker at the Telegraph-sponsored Luxury Travel event at The Savoy Hotel. She was promoting her Children in Crisis charity, naturally, but I thought that her appearance at this event was pretty significant.

First off, Sarah and her daughters have been pilloried in the press for years over their luxurious vacations. I thought it was a pretty jolly turn of events to have them (the princesses were there, too) as such high-profile participants at the Luxury Travel shindig ... which is sponsored by The Daily Telegraph, a paper that for decades has been quite harsh to the Duchess regarding her lifestyle. It's great to see her finally lending her name to an industry in which she really knows something about. Forget all that pudding tea/scented candle/ business, this is the way to go.

I might seem to be mocking her here, but I'm not. The British Royal Family depends on this industry in many ways, and its nice to see the symbiosis here, sponsored by The Telegraph.

I also like the fact that she wore dark-rimmed eyeglasses onstage during her presentation and a very simple black dress we've seen a few times before. It was all very appealing and a sea-change from some recent gala appearances.

Bravo, Duchess!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't know if you meant to post in this thread but Sarah isn't a royal anymore and whatever press she does get has very little impact on the BRF. I've seen numerous articles recently about her appalling fashion sense, her up and down weight loss and her travelling. But as she is a private citizen she can do what she likes.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't know if you meant to post in this thread but Sarah isn't a royal anymore and whatever press she does get has very little impact on the BRF. I've seen numerous articles recently about her appalling fashion sense, her up and down weight loss and her travelling. But as she is a private citizen she can do what she likes.
LQ, here on this forum, she is listed as a royal in the British Royals section. I'm aware that she's not HRH, but, if it doesn't bother the admin here who listed her in with the DoY and the two princess in the British Royals section, it doesn't bother me.

And, I was speaking of a very favorable past two weeks of press, not the past six months, which has been, on the whole, pretty awful. The past two weeks have been the best she's had in ages.

Her press, negative or positive, may not affect HM and the main line royals other than making steam come out of Prince Philip's ears, but it directly impacts the DoY and the two princesses.

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press