The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we are being asked to pay over £700 to stand on the grass at #WindsorCastle for #RoyalWedding2018* A first for wedding at Windsor BTW any idea whether they are providing a press centre etc as part of the professional working environment that they are happy to charge us for?

We have never had to pay at #WindsorCastle before certainly didn't for Prince Charles wedding or Earl & Countess of Wessex. it's embarrassing when I am covering European royals and am asked by my colleagues why do we have to pay when you don't and we don't even get the best shot

Via Rookie Twitter

That's interesting. I wonder why they have to pay and wonder if KP will address this issue?

I suggest they take this up with KP and get something sorted instead of complaining on Twitter.

I imagine they probably have taken it up with KP.

Now we are being asked to pay over £700 to stand on the grass at #WindsorCastle for #RoyalWedding2018* A first for wedding at Windsor BTW any idea whether they are providing a press centre etc as part of the professional working environment that they are happy to charge us for?

We have never had to pay at #WindsorCastle before certainly didn't for Prince Charles wedding or Earl & Countess of Wessex. it's embarrassing when I am covering European royals and am asked by my colleagues why do we have to pay when you don't and we don't even get the best shot

Via Rookie Twitter

Apparently they also paid when they photographed William and Kate's wedding. They were just surprised it was happening in Windsor. That is an government issue. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan.

£700 is CHICKENFEED given the budgets of these media outlets, and the money they will make through advertising.. to use an American phrase 'suck it up, cupcake'...

An entirely unnecessary own goal for Harry, not the first of late unfortunately.

Apparently they also paid when they photographed William and Kate's wedding. They were just surprised it was happening in Windsor. That is an government issue. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan.

The difference is though photographers had equal access to the Cambridge wedding, not so with this wedding. Photographers still upset over the arrangements

“The Royal Household is looking forward to welcoming a large number of UK and international media to Windsor Castle for the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.” You just can’t see anything but you can still pay a Kings ransom for the privilege.

Via Mark Cuthbert Twitter

Some of them are having quite the whine-fest on twitter.

LaRae

They can be upset over the arrangement but that is not Harry and Meghan's fault they are being charged a fee. That seemed to be the main gripe with one as he expected something different in Windsor.

Are any of them being forced to work this event? If so, I would assume their employers would cover the cost. If they are freelancers, it might be best to skip the assignment given that they find the conditions so unfavorable.

The fee may not be up to Harry but the media and press arrangements are.

There’s no reason to only have PA photographers given pride of place. This is the first wedding at Windsor that a fee has been charged. Photographers are saying the least you can do is give us equal access.

I know Harry is not a fan of the press and rightly so but a media pen for all agencies directly outside the chapel seems easy enough.

In what way, [exactly] is this to 'be laid at his door' ?

Right? I mean... seriously? How is this fee his fault. I guess it was the Cambridges fault too back in 2011. Oy.

This whining is pathetic now.

I don’t see anyone saying the fee is Harry’s fault. But some people seem to be trying to purposely conflate things.

There was a fee for the Cambridge wedding but press and photographers were given equal access. There was a large press pen outside WA and BP for the balcony kiss.

There’s also a fee for Harry’s wedding but with much more limited access for press.

Harry has every reason to dislike the press. Photographers like Mark Cuthbert, Rookie and James Whatling, all accredited royal photographers who regularly cover royal engagements, have a legitimate concern for being left out of prime property for photos

The fee may not be up to Harry but the media and press arrangements are.

There’s no reason to only have PA photographers given pride of place. This is the first wedding at Windsor that a fee has been charged. Photographers are saying the least you can do is give us equal access.

I know Harry is not a fan of the press and rightly so but a media pen for all agencies directly outside the chapel seems easy enough.
From Emily Nash

To give you a flavour of the global interest in this Royal wedding 5,000 journalists are accredited, 79 international networks are involved, and 46 US affiliates.

And these sniping journos want to be in a pen opposite the Chapel door? Sorry guys, that would do nothing more than blind the wedding party and frighten the horses!

Rudolph, why do you continue to omit the most salient reason photographers are not in a pen opposite the Chapel doors? There is not enough room anywhere within the horseshoe and they would be far too close. This is not Westminster Abbey where there is room to safely pen photographers without ruining the wedding.

Let's get real here. Like it or not this is a private weddingHarry and Meghan have made arrangements for as many people as possible to see the Wedding, bridal party and the carriage ride, sharing their happiness because they know there is are many people who want to share it with them.

The crowd control issues are the responsibility of the Royal Borough of Windsor and the Thames Valley Police. Correct me if I'm wrong, but members of the Metropolitan police have also been seconded to augment the Windsor contingent. Harry is nowhere in that situation other than stating his preferences within the workable situation. The Powers That Be, namely HM's representatives in consultation with Royal Borough of Windsor, the Police and their own protection personnel.

I am astounded at the disingenuous whining and general bad mouthing of Harry especially by people who know better. You don't have to like Harry, you don't have to be in Winsor for the wedding. But telling half-truths are more of a lie than an outright lie. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own "facts".

Last edited:
MARG, I think you need to discuss what you say are half-truths with the press who are complaining.

No fees were charge at a wedding in Windsor prior to Harry, and Charles and Edward seemed to be able to accommodate the press

Plus if there is a fee at least give everyone the same vantage point to take photos.

I only post the tweets. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
No offense but the Charles and Edwards weddings weren't on this scale. I can understand their frustration. I've pointed it out but I'm also over it. It's also interesting how some seem divided as well so clearly not all are feeling like they are being personally targeted.

Either way let's see how these folk are acting on May 19. I suspect most will get over it.

Unfortunately the £700 fee will hurt those that aren't employed by the big news outlets. For instance, there is a student photojournalist that set up a Gofundme because he wanted to be there to photograph the wedding but he can't afford the accreditation fee to ensure a spot.

Hopefully KP will get this all straightened out before the wedding.

And I know people keep saying this, but this isn't a private wedding. This wedding may be scaled down, but it is in no way private.

I don’t see anyone saying the fee is Harry’s fault. But some people seem to be trying to purposely conflate things.

There was a fee for the Cambridge wedding but press and photographers were given equal access. There was a large press pen outside WA and BP for the balcony kiss.

There’s also a fee for Harry’s wedding but with much more limited access for press.

Harry has every reason to dislike the press. Photographers like Mark Cuthbert, Rookie and James Whatling, all accredited royal photographers who regularly cover royal engagements, have a legitimate concern for being left out of prime property for photos

:previous: this
I don't blame them for feeling excluded and it absolutely is favoritism. It's financially rewarding one while charging all the rest. Very poor optics imo.

Question. Do we know that the PA photographers that will be stationed outside St. George's Chapel will be charging outlets to use their photographers? As I understand it, the outlet that will be filming the ceremony in the chapel itself, like William and Kate's wedding, freely share their feed with other outlets that want to broadcast the wedding live.

Question. Do we know that the PA photographers that will be stationed outside St. George's Chapel will be charging outlets to use their photographers? As I understand it, the outlet that will be filming the ceremony in the chapel itself, like William and Kate's wedding, freely share their feed with other outlets that want to broadcast the wedding live.

Exactly, the consequence of restricting is that those who can take the shots should freely share.

And I think it is fair that all the media who is going to profit from this wedding pays their share towards all the costs being made (because of media interest). Why should the british people pay more for this wedding to allow national and international media free coverage. A very wise move that since 2011 all British royal weddings have charged a fee.

I am curious how is the media portraying the upcoming nuptials In the USA. For instance are they showing interest.?

They are showing a lot of interest. Every single major network has specials for this week and next week. In general, the public are blah about it.

Among my circle of friends and relatives my granddaughter and I are the only 2 watching it or even interested in the Royals.

LaRae

Oh okay. Maybe people will become interested when it happens.

My sister and I are doing what we did for William & Kate's wedding- get up at the crack of dawn, drive to our mom's house, watch the wedding and then go out for a late breakfast. It's a fun way for us to spend some time together.

As far as the public goes, I've seen quite a bit of interest, but it may well be because my circle knows my interest in all things Royal, and pass it along, or take an interest for my sake.

I'm hosting the viewing party, complete with fancy dress and hats/fascinators, mimosas and champagne, and a brunch following. It'll be a fun (if not Very EARLY) day for us. I've got a party of 15 at the moment, with a few more days for RSVPS.

But in general, if it weren't for me, I suspect very few of my acquaintances would wake to watch live. They'd catch the highlight reels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom