The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I would add that while Andrew could make the request, it seems somewhat unlikely.

A lot of the whole "Andrew wants his daughters to be working royals" nonsense is based on the idea that Andrew was raised with the idea of what his children would be, based on what he and his mother's cousins were. There's no reason to think he ever thought his daughters' future husbands would become peers - his sister's husband wasn't made one despite marrying the daughter of the monarch, and Princess Alexandra's husband wasn't made one, with her position being the same as Beatrice and Eugenie's.

This is all just Andrew is unpopular, it's a slow time, let's cause problems. The best part about the whole thing is Richard Palmer claiming that royal coorespondents definitely don't want to report false news and would never make anything up.
For me the best part is journos saying that Andrew should not have issued his statement because what they had written was tittle-tattle and gossip.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-26-2016, 05:35 AM
Majesty

Getty photographer Chris Jackson reveals his top royal moments*of 2016 | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Wow, Andrew releases a statement and gets nothing but criticism. Harry does the same thing and is praised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
He isn't popular for a reason or I should say a lot of reasons. From dodgy money matters to friends with sex offender. This isn't the place to go into it but make yourself a pot of tea and read up on him either by his thread or google

In reply to cepe
Great call Skippyboo, the double standard is mind blowing. As to Andrew's popularity rob, I think that "reason" or "reasons" wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny. Do we castigate HM and Prince Philip for their friendship with Rolf Harris, he even got to paint HM's portrait!

Does guilt by association apply to him, Charles, Anne, etc. over all the great and good that have been exposed as paedophiles, embezzlers and downright crooks? No, it does not. I mean, how could they have known. Yet exactly the opposite is heaped on Andrew. As for the advice to research, it needs to be said that google is often not "your friend" and is certainly not the last and most accurate resource for any research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm pleased that Andrew made the statement. These stories have been going on for years and not denied. The article about Andrew wanting his sons-in-law to get earldoms was the last straw IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
For me the best part is journos saying that Andrew should not have issued his statement because what they had written was tittle-tattle and gossip.
People tend to forget that both Beatrice and Eugenie have been on the receiving end of such a lot of hateful accusations about every aspect of their lives from school to clothes, jobs, holidays, et al, ad infinitum! It was about time someone took a stand.

And yes, the fact that the journos fail to recognise themselves is hilarious. Perhaps the old Robert Burns poem should be hung on their walls:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burns
"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"
Old 12-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Great call Skippyboo, the double standard is mind blowing. As to Andrew's popularity rob, I think that "reason" or "reasons" wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny. Do we castigate HM and Prince Philip for their friendship with Rolf Harris, he even got to paint HM's portrait!

Does guilt by association apply to him, Charles, Anne, etc. over all the great and good that have been exposed as paedophiles, embezzlers and downright crooks? No, it does not. I mean, how could they have known. Yet exactly the opposite is heaped on Andrew. As for the advice to research, it needs to be said that google is often not "your friend" and is certainly not the last and most accurate resource for any research!
I believe the difference in this regards is that while other members of the BRF have been associated with a number of high profile individuals who were revealed to be pedophiles, they've never been implicated in it. Members of the BRF typically disassociate themselves with the individual once their actions become public knowledge, and there typically isn't reason to believe that they knew about the high profile individuals' actions.

I would add to that the association between the high profile individuals and the BRF tend to be somewhat exaggerated - more of a "this is a famous person who because of being famous met members of the BRF more than once and may have received an honour or two during their career."

The case with Andrew and Epstein is different. Andrew maintained a friendship with Epstein after the allegations came out, and was photographed in public with him after Epstein served time. Then to make matters worse, Andrew was named in a civil case that alleged impropriety on his behalf (not outright pedophilia, as Virginia Roberts was of age in both places where she claims she had sex with Andrew).

I'm not saying that the press isn't at times unduly harsh on Andrew, or that his daughters aren't treated ridiculously (I think it's absurd how Beatrice and Eugenie get portrayed). Jut that there are reasons why Andrew is more disliked than his siblings. In general, I think he's been more scandal prone in the last 20 years than any of his siblings, and the scandals that he's been associated with have been more damning than the ones that his siblings have been associated with.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
And yes, the fact that the journos fail to recognise themselves is hilarious. Perhaps the old Robert Burns poem should be hung on their walls:

Originally Posted by Robert Burns
"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"
This ranks as perhaps the best found and wisest quote I've seen in a very long time.

Thanks Marg!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

At the risk of sounding open minded, all of us know pedophiles, child abusers, people who abuse their partners. We just may or may not know about it. We may suspect or we may be willing to "judge not lest we be judged."

I'm not condoning the behavior, but I am convinced that shunning miscreants does little to solve social issues. I've known too many abused people to believe that ignoring their abusers does anything more than make me feel smug for about 5 minutes. JMO. And off topic. Mea culpa. Pigs are flying as I have just defended my least favorite royal. :0
Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Majesty

Prince Harry in Africa: Royal Family safari photos - Tatler
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about the Queen and the guardsman have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-29391-43.html thread.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Why Prince William and Kate Middleton Have A Work Problem - The Daily Beast
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Majesty

Here's what the royal family actually does every day
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

That has got to be one of the laziest pieces of "journalism" Ive read in a long time.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Because many of us use the DM as a reference for royal related stories, I thought I'd post this article. I'm sure more tabloids will be added to the list.

Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source. The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Which is very true!
Daily Mail has good photos - and entertainment value in regards to their fiction. But that's about it.
Not even the trolls in the comments sections have style.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

If there are anyone who thinks that the Daily Fail/Fail Online is a reliable source, then take a look at what Sebastian Shakespeare and Ephraim Hardcastle has written about in recent years.

And when it comes to the trolls in the comments section: They are a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies who hates everyone. But they represents a very tiny minority of the UK public, and many of them are from other countries.

I was in Denmark on a work-related visit before Christmas. And what really shocked me was when I read some of the comments in a Danish newspaper (don't remember which), but they were just as bad as those in the Daily Fail.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
If there are anyone who thinks that the Daily Fail/Fail Online is a reliable source, then take a look at what Sebastian Shakespeare and Ephraim Hardcastle has written about in recent years.

And when it comes to the trolls in the comments section: They are a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies who hates everyone. But they represents a very tiny minority of the UK public, and many of them are from other countries.

I was in Denmark on a work-related visit before Christmas. And what really shocked me was when I read some of the comments in a Danish newspaper (don't remember which), but they were just as bad as those in the Daily Fail.
That would have been Ekstra Bladet.

Basically the same type of tabloid - the same readers and the same types who comments. - The difference being that the EB readers constantly question the EB stories.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah, I think maybe it was Ekstra Bladet. I often go through Danish newspapers to look for news about the DRF, but I don't usually read the comments sections.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

The interesting part is that if you glance at the comment sections, it's very hard to understand where all these people's anger and hostility comes from. I mean, if you give some of those people a gun, I'm sure WWIII would come sooner.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Because many of us use the DM as a reference for royal related stories, I thought I'd post this article. I'm sure more tabloids will be added to the list.

Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source. The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
The pot calling the kettle black. Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, The Times are as reliable as Daily Mail is.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The interesting part is that if you glance at the comment sections, it's very hard to understand where all these people's anger and hostility comes from. I mean, if you give some of those people a gun, I'm sure WWIII would come sooner.
So much the better that they get to vent their whatever-issues-they-have in the comments sections.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The pot calling the kettle black. Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, The Times are as reliable as Daily Mail is.
The reliability differs from newspaper to newspaper, but I see your point. I think it is always best read several versions of the same story from a variety of newspapers at home and abroad to glean a vague understanding of the truth

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press