The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 12-26-2016, 10:54 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Wow, Andrew releases a statement and gets nothing but criticism. Harry does the same thing and is praised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
He isn't popular for a reason or I should say a lot of reasons. From dodgy money matters to friends with sex offender. This isn't the place to go into it but make yourself a pot of tea and read up on him either by his thread or google

In reply to cepe
Great call Skippyboo, the double standard is mind blowing. As to Andrew's popularity rob, I think that "reason" or "reasons" wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny. Do we castigate HM and Prince Philip for their friendship with Rolf Harris, he even got to paint HM's portrait!

Does guilt by association apply to him, Charles, Anne, etc. over all the great and good that have been exposed as paedophiles, embezzlers and downright crooks? No, it does not. I mean, how could they have known. Yet exactly the opposite is heaped on Andrew. As for the advice to research, it needs to be said that google is often not "your friend" and is certainly not the last and most accurate resource for any research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm pleased that Andrew made the statement. These stories have been going on for years and not denied. The article about Andrew wanting his sons-in-law to get earldoms was the last straw IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
For me the best part is journos saying that Andrew should not have issued his statement because what they had written was tittle-tattle and gossip.
People tend to forget that both Beatrice and Eugenie have been on the receiving end of such a lot of hateful accusations about every aspect of their lives from school to clothes, jobs, holidays, et al, ad infinitum! It was about time someone took a stand.

And yes, the fact that the journos fail to recognise themselves is hilarious. Perhaps the old Robert Burns poem should be hung on their walls:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burns
"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #442  
Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Great call Skippyboo, the double standard is mind blowing. As to Andrew's popularity rob, I think that "reason" or "reasons" wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny. Do we castigate HM and Prince Philip for their friendship with Rolf Harris, he even got to paint HM's portrait!

Does guilt by association apply to him, Charles, Anne, etc. over all the great and good that have been exposed as paedophiles, embezzlers and downright crooks? No, it does not. I mean, how could they have known. Yet exactly the opposite is heaped on Andrew. As for the advice to research, it needs to be said that google is often not "your friend" and is certainly not the last and most accurate resource for any research!
I believe the difference in this regards is that while other members of the BRF have been associated with a number of high profile individuals who were revealed to be pedophiles, they've never been implicated in it. Members of the BRF typically disassociate themselves with the individual once their actions become public knowledge, and there typically isn't reason to believe that they knew about the high profile individuals' actions.

I would add to that the association between the high profile individuals and the BRF tend to be somewhat exaggerated - more of a "this is a famous person who because of being famous met members of the BRF more than once and may have received an honour or two during their career."

The case with Andrew and Epstein is different. Andrew maintained a friendship with Epstein after the allegations came out, and was photographed in public with him after Epstein served time. Then to make matters worse, Andrew was named in a civil case that alleged impropriety on his behalf (not outright pedophilia, as Virginia Roberts was of age in both places where she claims she had sex with Andrew).

I'm not saying that the press isn't at times unduly harsh on Andrew, or that his daughters aren't treated ridiculously (I think it's absurd how Beatrice and Eugenie get portrayed). Jut that there are reasons why Andrew is more disliked than his siblings. In general, I think he's been more scandal prone in the last 20 years than any of his siblings, and the scandals that he's been associated with have been more damning than the ones that his siblings have been associated with.
__________________

  #443  
Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
And yes, the fact that the journos fail to recognise themselves is hilarious. Perhaps the old Robert Burns poem should be hung on their walls:


Originally Posted by Robert Burns
"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"
This ranks as perhaps the best found and wisest quote I've seen in a very long time.

Thanks Marg!
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #444  
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,003
At the risk of sounding open minded, all of us know pedophiles, child abusers, people who abuse their partners. We just may or may not know about it. We may suspect or we may be willing to "judge not lest we be judged."

I'm not condoning the behavior, but I am convinced that shunning miscreants does little to solve social issues. I've known too many abused people to believe that ignoring their abusers does anything more than make me feel smug for about 5 minutes. JMO. And off topic. Mea culpa. Pigs are flying as I have just defended my least favorite royal. :0
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
  #445  
Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,712
Prince Harry in Africa: Royal Family safari photos - Tatler
  #446  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,336
Posts about the Queen and the guardsman have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-29391-43.html thread.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #447  
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,712
Why Prince William and Kate Middleton Have A Work Problem - The Daily Beast
  #448  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:20 PM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,712
Here's what the royal family actually does every day
  #449  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,337

That has got to be one of the laziest pieces of "journalism" Ive read in a long time.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #450  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,932
Because many of us use the DM as a reference for royal related stories, I thought I'd post this article. I'm sure more tabloids will be added to the list.


Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source. The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
  #451  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,800
Which is very true!
Daily Mail has good photos - and entertainment value in regards to their fiction. But that's about it.
Not even the trolls in the comments sections have style.
  #452  
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,795
If there are anyone who thinks that the Daily Fail/Fail Online is a reliable source, then take a look at what Sebastian Shakespeare and Ephraim Hardcastle has written about in recent years.

And when it comes to the trolls in the comments section: They are a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies who hates everyone. But they represents a very tiny minority of the UK public, and many of them are from other countries.

I was in Denmark on a work-related visit before Christmas. And what really shocked me was when I read some of the comments in a Danish newspaper (don't remember which), but they were just as bad as those in the Daily Fail.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
  #453  
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
If there are anyone who thinks that the Daily Fail/Fail Online is a reliable source, then take a look at what Sebastian Shakespeare and Ephraim Hardcastle has written about in recent years.

And when it comes to the trolls in the comments section: They are a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies who hates everyone. But they represents a very tiny minority of the UK public, and many of them are from other countries.

I was in Denmark on a work-related visit before Christmas. And what really shocked me was when I read some of the comments in a Danish newspaper (don't remember which), but they were just as bad as those in the Daily Fail.
That would have been Ekstra Bladet.

Basically the same type of tabloid - the same readers and the same types who comments. - The difference being that the EB readers constantly question the EB stories.
  #454  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, United Kingdom, Norway
Posts: 3,795
Yeah, I think maybe it was Ekstra Bladet. I often go through Danish newspapers to look for news about the DRF, but I don't usually read the comments sections.
__________________
The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. Sarah Ferguson speaking in 2011.
  #455  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,775
The interesting part is that if you glance at the comment sections, it's very hard to understand where all these people's anger and hostility comes from. I mean, if you give some of those people a gun, I'm sure WWIII would come sooner.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #456  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 8,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Because many of us use the DM as a reference for royal related stories, I thought I'd post this article. I'm sure more tabloids will be added to the list.


Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source. The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
The pot calling the kettle black. Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, The Times are as reliable as Daily Mail is.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #457  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The interesting part is that if you glance at the comment sections, it's very hard to understand where all these people's anger and hostility comes from. I mean, if you give some of those people a gun, I'm sure WWIII would come sooner.
So much the better that they get to vent their whatever-issues-they-have in the comments sections.
  #458  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The pot calling the kettle black. Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, The Times are as reliable as Daily Mail is.
The reliability differs from newspaper to newspaper, but I see your point. I think it is always best read several versions of the same story from a variety of newspapers at home and abroad to glean a vague understanding of the truth
__________________
JACK
  #459  
Old 02-09-2017, 04:20 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Because many of us use the DM as a reference for royal related stories, I thought I'd post this article. I'm sure more tabloids will be added to the list.


Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source. The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
This is my story of the yr and its only February.

Just reinforces what most people know.

And it isnt like most papers because the DM publishes "flat-out fabrication".
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #460  
Old 02-09-2017, 05:11 PM
EllieCat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
Posts: 510
Quote:
And it isnt like most papers because the DM publishes "flat-out fabrication".
As do two of the three New Zealand 'women's' magazines, with the third hovering.

And let's not forget 'alternative facts'
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion LadyFinn Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family 743 12-20-2015 09:30 PM
Dutch Royal House Code of Conduct for the Press (Media Code) Silvermj Dutch Royals 41 06-30-2014 06:15 AM




Popular Tags
administrator aristocracy belgian royal belgian royal family chittagong countess of snowdon crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke of sussex dutch history family search french royalty future wife of prince hussein general news germany headship house of bernadotte house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau jerusalem jumma kiko king philippe letter lithuania lithuanian palaces marriage mbs meghan markle monaco royal monarchist monarchy monogram mountbatten nelson mandela bay nobel prize norwegian royal family official visit pakistan potential areas prince charles prince daniel prince harry princely family of monaco princess benedikte qe2 queen mathilde queen paola rania of jordan romanov family rown savoy saxony shakespeare south korea spanish royal state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history trump usa valois visit from sweden windy city


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×