The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nicholas Owen reveals what it was really like to cover the royals | Daily Mail Online

True indeed! Diana would've had it hard in this new media age. I think had she lived, she probably would have no choice but to embrace it. There's no running away from it anymore.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Since she allegedly had a habit of reading everything about herself, I believe she'd have had a difficult time with the negative comments about herself,sons, daughter-in-law and grandchildren that invariably come with social media.
I believe that most royals cope with that side social media by ignoring the negative as much as possible.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she would have been driven mad by it, Dman, I really do. Quite literally so, perhaps.

We don't know whether Diana would have married, had another child if she'd survived till now. If she did not and was still living much of her life in the public spotlight then she would have been faced with several, perhaps a multiplicity of blogs dealing with her fashion, charity work, public appearances, private life, lovers etc.

People shielding themselves behind pseudonyms can sometimes be unbelievably cruel and can start rumours on Twitter at the drop of a hat, as we know. It would make Diana terribly miserable, I think, and perhaps it's best that she never had to face that onslaught.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Since she allegedly had a habit of reading everything about herself, I believe she'd have had a difficult time with the negative comments about herself,sons, daughter-in-law and grandchildren that invariably come with social media.
I believe that most royals cope with that side social media by ignoring the negative as much as possible.
I think the younger royals read both. William has mentioned that he reads both negative and positive. Charles is very sensitive to it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think she would have been driven mad by it, Dman, I really do. Quite literally so, perhaps.

We don't know whether Diana would have married, had another child if she'd survived till now. If she did not and was still living much of her life in the public spotlight then she would have been faced with several, perhaps a multiplicity of blogs dealing with her fashion, charity work, public appearances, private life, lovers etc.

People shielding themselves behind pseudonyms can sometimes be unbelievably cruel and can start rumours on Twitter at the drop of a hat, as we know. It would make Diana terribly miserable, I think, and perhaps it's best that she never had to face that onslaught.
She would've had a hard time no doubt. I do think she would have no choice but to embrace the new age of media, because her duty to her charities and humanitarian work would've been very important to her.

Since her death, The Queen, family and palace officials are very tough on privacy now.

I think had she lived a lot of privacy settings would've been put in place. It would've been the only way she would've been able to cope with it all.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Majesty

Is Prince Andrew's defiant statement part of a new Royal media strategy?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Dman (post#424) and Curryong (post #423) are right in highlighting the impact that social media and intensive press (not pap) intrusion would have had on Diana.

I've mentioned this elsewhere but we do tend to forget the impact that all of the noise from press, broadcast and social media must have on royals today.

Lots of criticism about Andrew today mainly, I think, because he isn't popular. But he is a father and I think he is worried about the impact on his daughters.

You may not agree but generally people think that he and Sarah are good parents and give him the benefit of the doubt and think about what it must be like for Beatrice and Eugenie.

Easy target for media trolls and nasty publications chasing clickbait.

WE have no idea of the impact that all this negative stuff has on those girls but he does. Andrew has kept quiet under massive negative press about himself. But not now and not about his daughters.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Majesty

'Just fanning the flames': royal commentators' verdict on Prince Andrew's outburst
Old 12-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think he should have twittered that statement. He has opened the box any gossip that he doesn't deny will be taken as the truth now.
I don't think Charles would be happy

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't think he should have opened his mouth either. Telling the media to back off and leave his daughters alone is equatable to asking a mosquito not to bite. In fact, I think it puts Andrew exactly where the media wants him to be. They know he's paying attention. They know they can rile him and to some of the reporters, that's all they need to up their game even more against the Yorks. The media acts like trolls and are always on the lookout for fair game. Give the trolls attention and they'll feast on it and come back wanting more.

Bad move Andrew.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, Andrew releases a statement and gets nothing but criticism. Harry does the same thing and is praised.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Wow, Andrew releases a statement and gets nothing but criticism. Harry does the same thing and is praised.
He isn't popular so he gets criticism.. If he saved someones life, they would say he should have been quicker.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think there is a world of difference between the two statements. Harry released his because of concrete harassment of people close to Meghan Markle and racial slurs that were out of line. He felt responsible as it is due to dating him that Meghan and those close to her are being harassed. Its the onslaught of media attention to Meghan because of Harry and he wanted to nip it in the bud at the beginning

With Andrew, he was addressing and taking on the media for things that have been rumored about for a while. The Yorks have always had the media proclaiming negative things and picking on any little tidbit to make a mountain out of a molehill where any of them were involved. This kind of negative press has been going on for decades and to have Andrew react now sends a totally different message than the one that Harry sent out.

At least that's how I see it. Basically though, when it comes to the Yorks, they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. This family is very familiar with being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the media.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Family and the Media

He isn't popular for a reason or I should say a lot of reasons. From dodgy money matters to friends with sex offender. This isn't the place to go into it but make yourself a pot of tea and read up on him either by his thread or google

In reply to cepe
Old 12-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Majesty

I'm pleased that Andrew made the statement. These stories have been going on for years and not denied. The article about Andrew wanting his sons-in-law to get earldoms was the last straw IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Old 12-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
He isn't popular for a reason or I should say a lot of reasons. From dodgy money matters to friends with sex offender. This isn't the place to go into it but make yourself a pot of tea and read up on him either by his thread or google

In reply to cepe
I know all about that, but it doesn't mean that he is always in the wrong.

This is about protecting his daughters IMO. And he's right to do that.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Majesty

Veering off the subject ...

Technically speaking ... Could Prince Andrew request the earldoms in question?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Technically speaking ... Could Prince Andrew request the earldoms in question?
Nothing to stop him asking - the decision lies with the Monarch.

But it would be extremely unpopular.

EDIT: should add that if he did ask and was turned down, we would never be told

Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family and the Media

Still need to allow for females to inherit in the Letters Patent for it to be passed on to Beatrice. Eugenie would stay the same. Her kids would be just like Mia, Savannah and Isla if she married Jack.

His York title and attached lesser ones are male only.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Nothing to stop him asking - the decision lies with the Monarch.

But it would be extremely unpopular.

EDIT: should add that if he did ask and was turned down, we would never be told
Thanks for the answer!
Prince Andrew is fully aware of the tricky situation he is in. He should act accordingly.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the answer!
Prince Andrew is fully aware of the tricky situation he is in. He should act accordingly.

I would add that while Andrew could make the request, it seems somewhat unlikely.

A lot of the whole "Andrew wants his daughters to be working royals" nonsense is based on the idea that Andrew was raised with the idea of what his children would be, based on what he and his mother's cousins were. There's no reason to think he ever thought his daughters' future husbands would become peers - his sister's husband wasn't made one despite marrying the daughter of the monarch, and Princess Alexandra's husband wasn't made one, with her position being the same as Beatrice and Eugenie's.

This is all just Andrew is unpopular, it's a slow time, let's cause problems. The best part about the whole thing is Richard Palmer claiming that royal coorespondents definitely don't want to report false news and would never make anything up.

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press