The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

The media will start calling Catherine 'Princess Catherine' and 'Princess Kate' by the time she becomes The Princess of Wales. Members of the public will start calling her that too. The title of Princess will set everything off. Right now, her Duchess of Cambridge title just have caught on for many.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The media will start calling Catherine 'Princess Catherine' and 'Princess Kate' by the time she becomes The Princess of Wales. Members of the public will start calling her that too. The title of Princess will set everything off. Right now, her Duchess of Cambridge title just have caught on for many.
I agree. Something similar happened to Sarah if I recall it correctly when she became the Duchess of York.

The British custom of calling the wives of princes of the UK "Princess [name of her husband] " is just too outdated for anyone to follow it. Therefore, the wives of the princes are either referred to by their ducal titles , or by their first names only, or by their maiden names. It would be much simpler if they were created princesses in their own right, as I believe is the case now in Belgium. or if, even being princesses by courtesy only, they were referred to instead as Princess [Her own given name] as in Denmark, Norway, etc.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

When Jane Jones marries Mr John Smith her 'proper' style is Mrs John Smith, not Mrs Jane Smith. So it's Princess William, not Princess Catherine although 'Princess Kate' is used a lot in conversation.

The traditional ways still hold at the British Court.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
When Jane Jones marries Mr John Smith her 'proper' style is Mrs John Smith, not Mrs Jane Smith. So it's Princess William, not Princess Catherine although 'Princess Kate' is used a lot in conversation.

The traditional ways still hold at the British Court.

When Hillary Rodham married William Jefferson Clinton, nobody started calling her 'Mrs William Jefferson Clinton'. Instead, she became known as 'Mrs Hillary Rodham Clinton'. The same naming convention used BTW for 'Mrs. Sophie Grégoire Trudeau'.

Besides, as I said before, the British custom is not followed by any other royal court either. I agree that Máxima or Mathilde were in a different category as they actually became princesses in their own right by royal decree when they got married, but Laurentine, Marie, Alexandra, Sophia, Mabel, and I guess, even Mette-Marit or Mary did not and, yet, nobody ever called them Princess [Husband's Name].
Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Courtier

When the palace ask the press to call her Catherine back in the early days when they were dating, the press ignore that, acting like that wasn't her name. Rebecca English admitted that to vanity fair.

Nobody call them by their informal name or maiden name. What your point?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's not a made up nickname by the press. William has used it before when talking to people in crowds. She used it in college. People magazine's wedding issue had an interview with an American who was at St Andrews with them. Picture of a note written for her birthday signed Kate.

It would not have lasted this long if she didn't go by it. However, her perpetually being referred to as Kate Middleton by the press is bad. However many years from now, is it going to be Kate Middleton crowned at Westminster Abbey?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Let us hope that it is neither Kate Middleton or Catherine Middleton crowned!!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen Consort get crowned too at her husband's coronation.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It could be much, much worse. The media could actually save themselves a bit of print space and just use "K8".
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charlie Proctor
@charlie1proctor
The BBC held a network wide obituary rehearsal yesterday practicing for when The Queen, or other senior royal, dies-
https://mobile.twitter.com/charlie1p...48652033638400

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I always get a shock when I see things like that. No matter how many rehearsal they are.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I always get a shock when I see things like that. No matter how many rehearsal they are.
Yeah, I know. I like that they're preparing though, because those days will come. The networks have to be ready.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

Its a no win situation, some people don't like that they do this but the same people would be the first to criticize the BBC if all didn't go to plan & they got it wrong at such a historic event.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We only have to look back to the 90s to see how the preparations and the practices for royal funerals is a very good thing. When Diana died in Paris so unexpectedly, they had the Tay Bridge plan to fall back on as that was the funeral procession practiced for when the Queen Mother passed away and they were able to use that model for Diana's funeral.

If anything, the British Royal Family is well prepared for most anything to come their way.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yeah, I know. I like that they're preparing though, because those days will come. The networks have to be ready.

Yeah, I would do that if I were them anyway, as it must also be a practical matter as well as a big event, however sad it may be.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I would imagine the BBC is keen to avoid a repeat of the grey suit/burgundy tie "scandal" of '02

Everything will be ready to go almost immediately once the news of a death is relayed to the BBC by the Palace - the exact wording of the obituary might be written on the spot, but outfits, pre-recorded film reels, etc will all be brought out of their boxes.

No room for error these days.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure I remember reading that the BBC (or perhaps it was another channel) has different grades of coverage depending on who dies in the royal family. They used to have a few categories which certain members and other celebrities were in.

Edit:

I found the article. Five of the Royal Family demoted as BBC changes its protocol on broadcast death list

I am surprised Harry is in the same list as his uncles and aunts.

Category 1: Queen, Philip, Charles and William (and I now imagine George)

The others belonged to "Category 2" which was abolished in 2010. They are now just in "Other Notables".

Old Category 2: Camilla, Harry, Andrew, Edward and Sophie. I imagine Kate and Charlotte are now in this group.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The Sun wrote this and Harry rightly denied it. Everyone knows 99 percent of what's printed about the royals is rubbish but in this case it would have Harry taking a position different from that of the government.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/198882...crimes-a-joke/

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
Kensington Palace has made the following statement regarding
today's front page story in The Sun:
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...54763774226432
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I'm sure I remember reading that the BBC (or perhaps it was another channel) has different grades of coverage depending on who dies in the royal family. They used to have a few categories which certain members and other celebrities were in.

Edit:

I found the article. Five of the Royal Family demoted as BBC changes its protocol on broadcast death list

I am surprised Harry is in the same list as his uncles and aunts.

Category 1: Queen, Philip, Charles and William (and I now imagine George)

The others belonged to "Category 2" which was abolished in 2010. They are now just in "Other Notables".

Old Category 2: Camilla, Harry, Andrew, Edward and Sophie. I imagine Kate and Charlotte are now in this group.

I would think a lot of this would depend on the circumstances. Andrew dying from a heart attack in his sleep probably gets a scroll across the bottom of the screen. If Harry died in some sort of accident, it going to get a lot of breaking coverage. The BBC would have to break into programming if the US President or the Pope was assassinated.

That article is also several years old and now with social media a high profile death is going to spread rapidly across the internet.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Sun wrote this and Harry rightly denied it. Everyone knows 99 percent of what's printed about the royals is rubbish but in this case it would have Harry taking a position different from that of the government.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/198882...crimes-a-joke/

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
Kensington Palace has made the following statement regarding
today's front page story in The Sun:
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...54763774226432
Well why let the facts get in the way of a sensational headline or "story?" Yes Harry was right to issue a statement through KP.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would think a lot of this would depend on the circumstances. Andrew dying from a heart attack in his sleep probably gets a scroll across the bottom of the screen. If Harry died in some sort of accident, it going to get a lot of breaking coverage. The BBC would have to break into programming if the US President or the Pope was assassinated.

That article is also several years old and now with social media a high profile death is going to spread rapidly across the internet.

It makes perfect sense IMO, under the new system the Queen, Philip Charles and William get full blanket coverage of their death, this is IMO what the public (or the majority) would expect, especially for HM, Charles and William as it would change the course of British history. For the other royals its not saying they are not important, IMO is simply recognize that over time their position in public life changes. Even now, as much as people like her, the death of the Countess of Wessex would not grind the nation to a halt.
Likewise much would depend on how and when one of the other royal dies, Harry being involved in a terrible accident would make headlines 'on merit' (to quote the new bbc procedures) where as an older member of the RF slipping away in their sleep would not really be that shocking.

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press