The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Royal Highness

I don't understand the media need the royal family view. What about the rest of the world that don't have a royal family seem to be getting along ok. I really do think it's the royal family that need the media.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 03-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Both my children along with my nieces and nephews are royalists. They follow everything abut the royals but they do it on Instagram, Twitter and the internet. None of them buy newspapers.

If people aren't buying newspapers and not getting news and views from other sources, we'd have to ask questions about the way the population was headed, but they have simply migrated to internet and social media.

The sooner newspapers realise they aren't owed anything by the royals, the sooner the royals maybe willing to work with the press.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't understand the media need the royal family view. What about the rest of the world that don't have a royal family seem to be getting along ok. I really do think it's the royal family that need the media.

The royal family do need the media, but the media don't need to the royal family. Covering the royals do provide jobs for the media though.

Like I said before, technology has changed, so the royals and media must improve their professional working relationship.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

One could make an argument for welcoming the end of newspapers, especially the tabloids, as far as the royals are concerned. However, the Internet, 'news' sites, forums, blogs etc., aren't exactly glowing in their coverage of the royals either. And, unlike newspapers they aren't bound by any libel laws or editorial decisions. On the Internet people can and often do say exactly what they think and facts go out the window in a way even the tabloids don't attempt.

I give you, for example, the horrendous and totally disgusting speculation about surrogacy and Kate's pregnancies which goes on unchecked in another forum day after day. God help any naive young person who knows little of the royals reading that tripe.

People reading newspapers can at least see photos of the royals going about their business on various occasions even if they can't be bothered to read the story. With papers gone what proportion of the British people are going to look up various royals on the Internet if they aren't particularly interested?

Most will then only see the royals occasionally on the TV news or on documentaries many won't bother to watch. (Free to air TV is dying as well.) From there it's only a tiny jump to "Well, we hardly see them anyway, so what use are they?"

When newspapers go I shall be sad for all sorts of reasons. However, I don't think anyone should fool themselves that this is going to herald some bright new dawn for the BRF.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The Independent's view.

The Media Column: If the Royal Family continues to push out the press, it will put its own future at risk | Voices | The Independent
Old 03-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Excellent post curryong
Old 03-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

The Independent is a good example. It ceased print production last month because of costs and falling sales and is now available only by digital edition.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness

Why is it when William receives bad press it is always someone else's fault?

Why is it when Charles or Camilla receives bad press it is because of something they did?

Why is it when William receives positive press it is because of something he did?

Why is it when Camilla receives positive press it is because of a PR campaign?

William’s bad press is blamed on the media being childish, testy, petulant, fighting for their existence, etc.
Or William’s bad press is blamed on his press office being incompetent.
Or William’s bad press is the fault of the Palace.
Or the Queen is at fault for William’s bad press.
Or it is the fault of Prince Charles.
Everyone is blamed for William’s bad press except William.

The same for William’s mother, when she received positive press it was because of something she did but if she received negative press it was because the press was petulant, nasty, greedy or Prince Charles put them up to it, etc.

Diana received positive press because she gave them what they wanted. She and her mother were ‘in bed’ with press before she married Charles. (Check out Colin Campbell’s 1991 book and James Whitaker's 1981 book.

Diana created a relationship with James Whitaker before she married Charles.
He created the ‘shy Di’ myth because she slouched and walked with her head down. Other media picked up on it and the myth was born. A media/press creation that so many believe is true even though Diana, herself said it was not true.

When photographs of her with other men in less than ideal positions were sent to the media, the media refused to published.

When her intimate conversation with James Gilbey was recorded the press sat on it for a long time and only published a highly edited version of the conversation to protect Diana’s image.

Yet this same media treated Prince Charles completely different.

The difference is the press and the press willingness to overlook all of Diana’s faults & indiscretions because she ‘played ball’ with them. Her image sold more than Charles so they had to protect their bottom line and so they protected her and her image.

The media created the positive image of Diana that so many believe is true.
The media created the negative image of Charles that so many believe is true.
The media created the negative image of Camilla that so many believe is true.

The media can create the negative image of William.

The media created Princess Anne's surly image. Princess Anne was at a 3 day equestrian event and the media had plenty of time to photograph her.

A group of photographs chased her while she was riding (extremely dangerous). The clicking noise from the cameras and flashbulbs near the horse could have caused an accident. She said 'naff off'.

Now a large majority of the 'public' believes she is surly.

A few years before this incidence, Princess Anne had fallen off a horse and had been unconscious. She had a concussion and could not even remember if she had started the race.

Yet a large percentage of the 'public' believes she is surly because the media created the image.

There are 54 pages in the Camilla and Public (press image) thread.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Excellent post. The "naff off" incident came after she came off her horse before the jump after her horse was spooked by a camera flash. I personally thought "naff off" was pretty mild considering they could have killed her. Instead, they portrayed her as abrasive and abusive in a classic case of blame the victim. Our Princess isn't very feminine has been a handle she carried from there on out.

As to William. I have a problem with a man in his 30's behaving like a sulky child and pouting in public. Regardless of how annoyed he is, he needs to display a little grace and tolerance. I do not mean to be callous but I think the "they killed his mother" excuse is a total crock. There are royals and celebrities throughout Europe who are followed, if not hounded, far more than William. They just don't sell most of those photos in the US.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

William do display a great of grace and dignity when performing public engagements. Although, I don't think William and Catherine wave enough to the crowds, but whatever.

I also notice, the young royals do very little walkabouts than they used to. Anyone else notice that? That always provided the media with lots of great pictures, and with more writing material.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I also notice, the young royals do very little walkabouts than they used to. Anyone else notice that? That always provided the media with lots of great pictures, and with more writing material.
Off the top of my head, I think perhaps one reason they've been discouraged from doing walkabouts frequently is due to security. With the rise of lone wolf terrorism such as at the Boston Marathon and the terror attacks in Paris and elsewhere, perhaps its better to err on the side of caution than take risks.

This is just my opinion of course.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Off the top of my head, I think perhaps one reason they've been discouraged from doing walkabouts frequently is due to security. With the rise of lone wolf terrorism such as at the Boston Marathon and the terror attacks in Paris and elsewhere, perhaps its better to err on the side of caution than take risks.

That could be it. It's just something I noticed for a while now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I would say that's why and with good reason. I'd prefer them safe

Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
One could make an argument for welcoming the end of newspapers, especially the tabloids, as far as the royals are concerned. However, the Internet, 'news' sites, forums, blogs etc., aren't exactly glowing in their coverage of the royals either. And, unlike newspapers they aren't bound by any libel laws or editorial decisions. On the Internet people can and often do say exactly what they think and facts go out the window in a way even the tabloids don't attempt.

I give you, for example, the horrendous and totally disgusting speculation about surrogacy and Kate's pregnancies which goes on unchecked in another forum day after day. God help any naive young person who knows little of the royals reading that tripe.

People reading newspapers can at least see photos of the royals going about their business on various occasions even if they can't be bothered to read the story. With papers gone what proportion of the British people are going to look up various royals on the Internet if they aren't particularly interested?

Most will then only see the royals occasionally on the TV news or on documentaries many won't bother to watch. (Free to air TV is dying as well.) From there it's only a tiny jump to "Well, we hardly see them anyway, so what use are they?"

When newspapers go I shall be sad for all sorts of reasons. However, I don't think anyone should fool themselves that this is going to herald some bright new dawn for the BRF.
That's a good point on the internet - usually the worst I see in the media is that Kate is pregnant with twin girls (this pregnancy started soon after George, occurred in tandem with Charlotte somehow, and is still going on to this day). The internet, however... and without the media reports, it might be harder to counter and provide the alternate view.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I agree with your thoughts on this topic Osipi. The Cambridges and Harry are prime targets for a terrorist act. And considering how many acts are being carried out in recent years via bombs, that also puts the crowds in danger as well. IMO the walkabouts are now being conducted in areas which the RPOs believe they have control over ie: Sandringham estate for the post-Christmas service meet and greets.

The costs for providing security to the royals and the public would also be an issue. We only have to look to the Netherlands to see that their King's Day celebrations have been altered since the 2009 attack in Apeldoorn and the panic that occurred during the 2010 Remembrance Day ceremony at the Dam Square. And this was in a nation that had previously not experienced terrorist attacks on the same scale as the UK. The Dutch royals have less close contact with the public in part due to the need for increased security was becoming a financial burden to the cities that were hosting the royals' visit. I also believe that security needs are the reason why their engagements are not being announced too far in advance.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Agree. Current threat level for international terrorism in the Uk is Severe

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

Altho' chuffed at the widespread coverage of Prince Harry's tour of Nepal, also more than a little cross at the TOTAL lack of reporting of his Father [and step-mothers] tour of the Balkans this week.

The highlighting of humanitarian efforts in the war-torn Balkans is everybit as deserving of news coverage as the earthquake tragedy in Nepal, yet there was NOTHING on the Television, Radio and 90% of the Newspapers !

Just NOT RIGHT !
Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Althouth is is annoying, it has always been like this. Younger royals get more coverage than the rest of the family. Not fair, not right, but not news.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well, Althouth is is annoying, it has always been like this. Younger royals get more coverage than the rest of the family. Not fair, not right, but not news.

True. Harry will most likely suffer the same fate from his 40s onwards when George and Charlotte have become the new royal stars....
Old 03-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
True. Harry will most likely suffer the same fate from his 40s onwards when George and Charlotte have become the new royal stars....
Exactly, and so both William and Kate. It's a circle

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press