The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2016, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William is the jewel in the crown of the Good Ship Monarchy - Kaye Adams - Mirror Online

Old 03-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
At the end of the day, advisors are there to advise, not make the final decision.

I'd like to know the name of any courtier who has put their 'foot down' with the Queen or Prince Charles

William, Kate and Harry all have their own private secretaries and unless Katie Nicholl is privy to their conversations, she has no way of knowing what the advice is that William is supposedly not listening to

There was a unified press office in 2014 run by Charles that was a disaster by all accounts and it went back to individual offices

And after the disastrous years of Mark Bolland working for Charles and Camilla, the Queen had enough and stepped in and appointed her own courtier, Sir Michael Peat to oversee the Prince of Wales' household.

Since this isn't happening with the Cambridges and Harry, I will assume everything is okay
Well it is widely said that the Queen's staff amongst others had to effectively put their foot down in the days after the Death of Diana. When she listened the media coverage turned around. Its been said that since then the Queen has been somewhat more willing to do a bit more of what her staff have suggested.

The fact is W&K's staff are being a lot of money to get an end result, yes of course they need to bear in mind W&Ks wishes but equally this shouldn't stop their staff from giving honest advice.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well it is widely said that the Queen's staff amongst others had to effectively put their foot down in the days after the Death of Diana. When she listened the media coverage turned around. Its been said that since then the Queen has been somewhat more willing to do a bit more of what her staff have suggested.

The fact is W&K's staff are being a lot of money to get an end result, yes of course they need to bear in mind W&Ks wishes but equally this shouldn't stop their staff from giving honest advice.
Like I already stated, advisors are there to advise. It's a good boss who makes the decisions.

There is no evidence William doesn't listen to advice. We aren't privy to his conversations. But I like that William is assertive. He is able to take his own council, weigh the options and make a decision.

He stated in an interview that he and Harry were raised by their parents to make their own decisions. If they get it wrong, they learn from it for the next time.

The last thing I want in any leader is someone who is weak willed. I admire William for not being controlled by the men in grey
Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

I feel like the nastiness of the press towards the royals stems from the journalists afraid of losing their jobs from tabloids stopping publishing print...that wont be their fault...because all of them who complain are absolutely ridicuolous yes...lets complains that he doesnt shake hands enough....u would rather him do that them help save lives...he has priorities right...these journalist don't....and if they think they have it difficult with will it will be the same when harry gets married and has children...they are deluded to think otherwise.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

That might be true but when you pass a press shop in the UK, good heavens... these screaming headlines setting the couple down as work-shy scroungers. What happened to the respect and reverence for the royal family? Even a president would be treated with more égards.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like that William is head strong when it comes to decisions. I think people give him too much credit in thinking he's making making all these decisions; when I think Catherine also make some decisions, and it's not just about the children.

It's not just about the press getting made over a few things, but I think the young royal couple and their palace officials are contributing to these problems. The fault lies on both sides.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

The nastiness is because they arent giving them what they want...they need to get over that sense of entitlement...because i would bet any money if those tabloids in the uk weren't around that the royals would still be relevant...

those poor terrible journalists...who will lose their jobs because free internet access to information is something that is not going away anytime soon..maybe they should look into having career changes..because the issue is more than access to royals its the end of print journalism in the uk...and thats the real problem....

lol...as you can see i have no respect at all for tabloid journalists...which is what i consider most uk publications..(just venting...not meant to offend anyone on here...just tired of hearing about these vultures complaining about access to royals and their babies..)
Old 03-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That might be true but when you pass a press shop in the UK, good heavens... these screaming headlines setting the couple down as work-shy scroungers. What happened to the respect and reverence for the royal family? Even a president would be treated with more égards.
One thing I know all of us in this thread realize is that there is a question to ask ourselves when we read things in print concerning the royal family. That question is: "Are they treating the royal family as people or are they using the royal family as a commodity to make money?".

Here in the US, there is the same question to be asked about the president's articles that are published along with snippets about our politicians. For some journalists, covering the issues is the main gist of their reporting. For others, the headlines involve a person cutting the cheese at precisely the wrong time. One quickly learns to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some people actually thrive on the "burp heard around the world" kind of juicy, scandalous gossip and it sells.

When it comes down to the final wire, there is one thing that dominates the media. Green dollars in their pockets.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I know all of us in this thread realize is that there is a question to ask ourselves when we read things in print concerning the royal family. That question is: "Are they treating the royal family as people or are they using the royal family as a commodity to make money?".
There's respect for The Queen in the UK simply because of how long she's served and I believe that's all the monarchy have. The press certainly do not respect or revere the royal family because they have no reason to and yes i do believe it was during the Diana years, and after her death when the tide changed. The Press have cottoned on to the idea that they can say practically anything they want, and push the envelope, with no consequences. Do you think we'd have seen the likes of the "Nazi Story" in the early Queen years? Even 20 years ago maybe, for even The Sun to run that there would have been an absolute outcry!

The Royal Family don't need the media, but nowadays the media don't need the royal family. No online or paper versions are selling well, no matter what Catherine wears

The relationship between the royal family and the press needs to improve, they can both work together to promote the royal family, newspaper sales and the UK for the better. I still think the royal family are too closed to help themselves, they just don't see what they can do! Charles has been the best press man in a way, the way he introduced Camilla, his public appearances, the way he speaks, the "spider letters". They need a PR coach, a decent one. Frankly iluvbertie and cepe do more for promoting the RF with their brilliant work on engagement counting than anybody does. You folks need a career change?

Apologies for the long post!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Lumutqueen, the royal family do need the media. The media don't need the royal family, but covering the royals do provide jobs for them. The royal family wouldn't still be here if it weren't for good media PR. Their hard work wouldn't be covered if it weren't for the presence of the media. Also, their charities and other organizations wouldn't get the proper spotlight if it weren't for the media.

Things may become testy at times, but the royal family and media must have a respectable and professional working relationship. Technology has changed; so the royals, their official press team and members of the media must figure out ways to continue their professional relationship...and must include some transparency. Right now, there seem to be a bit of a breakdown going on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Royal Family don't need the media, but nowadays the media don't need the royal family. No online or paper versions are selling well, no matter what Catherine wears

The relationship between the royal family and the press needs to improve, they can both work together to promote the royal family, newspaper sales and the UK for the better. I still think the royal family are too closed to help themselves, they just don't see what they can do! Charles has been the best press man in a way, the way he introduced Camilla, his public appearances, the way he speaks, the "spider letters". They need a PR coach, a decent one. Frankly iluvbertie and cepe do more for promoting the RF with their brilliant work on engagement counting than anybody does. You folks need a career change?
With all the switching around with the PR staffs and such, I think they've entered into a trial and error period where theres really been more errors than there has been a system that would be a keeper. You've hit the nail on the head where it comes to Charles. He is going to be a fantastic king in my opinion and hopefully by then, the PR people will get their act together and work with the press rather than against it. The press is also going through a drastic reduction in sales and jobs are on the line. You're right in the belief that the press and the RF could work together better to make each other more relevant to the public. The fact that here at TRF we have the best data collecting of royal engagements, what kind they are, when they happen and a very detailed accounting of just about any aspect of the court circular, this is one area where the press could stand a whole lot of improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Apologies for the long post!
I'm glad to see you posting a good, long, informative post again. I've missed them.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Like I already stated, advisors are there to advise. It's a good boss who makes the decisions.

There is no evidence William doesn't listen to advice. We aren't privy to his conversations. But I like that William is assertive. He is able to take his own council, weigh the options and make a decision.

He stated in an interview that he and Harry were raised by their parents to make their own decisions. If they get it wrong, they learn from it for the next time.

The last thing I want in any leader is someone who is weak willed. I admire William for not being controlled by the men in grey
Good leaders listen to those around them. Yes nobody wants a future King who relies on a few advisors (we've seen plenty of examples of that going wrong) but the fact is William & Kate are getting bad press, so either they are getting bad advice or William is calling bad shots and ignoring good advice.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Good leaders listen to those around them. Yes nobody wants a future King who relies on a few advisors (we've seen plenty of examples of that going wrong) but the fact is William & Kate are getting bad press, so either they are getting bad advice or William is calling bad shots and ignoring good advice.
I'm not so sure. Not a week goes by without a negative article being written about Charles.

Charles is regarded by some on here as being a PR genius and yet his press since the divorce from Diana has been dreadful

He spent millions on PR with operation Camilla Parker-Bowles and that now seems as a waste of money. No more people want her as Queen now than they did when they got married.

Royals in Britain get bad press from time to time. It's the cycle
Old 03-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

More people would probably want William as King than Charles, despite being "work-shy". That's got nothing to do with PR, that's got everything to do with age.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted and edited a few off-topic posts. Please remember that this thread is for discussions about the relationship between the BRF and the media. If you wish to discuss your respect (or lack of respect) for particular members of the BRF, please do so in their individual threads.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Not a week goes by without a negative article being written about Charles.

Charles is regarded by some on here as being a PR genius and yet his press since the divorce from Diana has been dreadful

He spent millions on PR with operation Camilla Parker-Bowles and that now seems as a waste of money. No more people want her as Queen now than they did when they got married.

Royals in Britain get bad press from time to time. It's the cycle
To my recollection, Charles is the only one I've seen in a very long time that has actually had about 95% positive comments in the Daily Fail. It was when his "spider letters" were made available to the public. I almost fell off my chair realizing how positively toward Charles the commentators were in this regard.

It was nothing short of a miracle seeing it was the Daily Fail.
― John Lennon
Old 03-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The Media Column: If the Royal Family continues to push out the press, it will put its own future at risk | Voices | The Independent
Old 03-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The royal family isn't pushing the press out. It's 2016 and that means people communicate in a variety of different ways and newspapers haven't been able to cope.

The royals have a good relationship with television and we'll have an ITV documentary coming up about the Queen where The Duchess of Cambridge is interviewed along with others.

Over half of Britons access their news online, add in tv and you can see why newspapers are fighting for survival.

Social media has also caused grief to fleet street. No longer does one need a printing press in order to get the message out to the masses.

We only have to look around the world to see the influence of Twitter and Facebook on various movements and causes.

So for me, it's not a case of newspapers being pushed out as much as it's just a sign of the times as to how people consume their information
Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

thank you Lumutqueen for yr kind words. I'm very happy as I am but if I had the opportunity I would try and get HMQ to talk to William about

1. The difference between the paparazzi/overseas media vs the British press. the Independent article (link #257) is correct when it says that the press at home have been very protective of the Cambridges. Yes, one paper printed a blurred picture of Harry playing naughty pool but that's it! its the foreign press that have caused real problems

2. You need friends to pass on the messages. And those "friends" need readers. Whats wrong with helping each other out? It isn't necessary to do what Diana did - and I'm assuming William knows the reality about her relationship with the press. Use all available media, but include the press. The way its going, it wont be for long.

3. Explain that the press will help unless they themselves are under threat. When Diana died, the immediate response was a massive backlash against the press - in the UK it was huge. So the worm turned and 1stly it was the flags not flying at half mast and then it was an attack on the Queen. I think that everyone now accepts HMQ was correct but not then. The papers think that royal support will help them (at least the editors do, if not the journalists) - use that.

4. Advise him strongly that, in her own words, one needs to be seen to be believed. If the story in the DM is true that she has agreed to his current royal role, then she needs to up the ante. Maybe not full time but they need to be seen (at least one of them) once/twice a week.

5. Ironically, the more they are seen, the less pressure the media will put on them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Let's compare newspaper sales in a preinternet age where the Prince and Princess of Wales were airing their dirty laundry in public to Kate today with instant global access. I wonder which era had higher sales? Kate and Wills meeting anyone during an engagement is not going ever top nude Kim K selfies.

Parliament is hated several times more than the most hated Royal. Are they really going to totally get rid of a 1000 yr old monarchy based on the headlines of a dying industry.

When the Queen dies, there will be something that most people haven't seen. A new British monarch, a coronation ceremony. That's new interest. William and Kate will be full time royals and there goes the lazy argument.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press