The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Courtier

I'd be there too! I think it would be a wonderful (and rare) opportunity to see the Royal Family in a relativley normal situation (going to church on Christmas Day).

Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Really, Edward? Is this a well known rumor? I hadn't heard that before...interesting...
Andrew is the Queen's favorite and Anne is the Duke's favorite. But both of them get along well with Edward. They are very fond of Sophie. There really doesn't need to be a different motive then the Queen asked her to, and she does ever year. Personally I feel Sophie is good for the Queen especially at Christmas when she might miss her mother and sister the most.

Sophie started driving along with the Queen before she was married to Edward. I've never understood the whole thing about girlfriends and boyfriends only attending after their engagements, I have pics of Sophie's parents at the Boxing Day shoot in 1995 or 1996.
But personally I have never asked the Queen this question, both times I've seen her I asked how her day was. (I certainly need to get more original.)

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
Absolutely Warren. It would be a chance of a lifetime just to be able to say I saw the British Royal Family in person and to take your own pictures! I know I would.
So you would leave your family on Christmas Day to spend hours (including driving there, going through security which is rather tight for obvious reasons, stand in the cold for an hour or so while they actually go to church, then drive for some time to get home again - to watch another family go to church?

To me I spend Christmas Day with my family and only with my family and the rest of the world.

I couldn't imagine ever wasting so much of such a special day for a glimpse of a passing family going to and from church.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It's one of the very few occasions when anyone can see the "inner" Royal Family en masse, live and up close.
If I was in the area I'd brave the cold for a look-see too!
So would I.
I have heard that Sophie is the Queens favourite daughter in law, but I have never heard Edward as the favourite son.
I do realise that it is the Queens car and she is the queen, I just don't see why Sophie can't walk with the rest of the family, even Prince Phillip walks with the others.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Andrew was reported as the favourite in the 1980s and early 1990s but since the mid-1990s Edward, the baby, has been referred to as the favourite of both parents.

Being there on Boxing Day is quite common but not on Christmas Day as that is family only.

Sophie didn't drive to church with the Queen on Christmas Day before her failed pregnancy - partly because the Queen walked until after Edward and Sophie were married. I am sure that the first time she drove was the Christmas after the failed pregnancy almost because Sophie had to drive so the Queen went with her, rather than the other way round but now it is traditional that Sophie accompanies the Queen.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Did Lady Louise not attend again? She's six now so surley she should be going to church on Christmas Day. All the other young children there attended.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stejak View Post
Thank you so much for the photos posted esp thanks to Iceflower they were exactally the type of Pictures i was after , Again Thank you. Best Wishes for 2010
You are very welcome, Stejak!

Today the family attended the Sunday Church service in Sandringham,
Norfolk, Britain - December 27, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 **
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Did Lady Louise not attend again? She's six now so surley she should be going to church on Christmas Day. All the other young children there attended.

I think it is clear that the Earl and Countess are not going to be letting their kids be seen for their own reasons.

Just because she didn't walk doesn't mean she didn't go - she may have been taken down earlier and left after everyone else or with a nanny or something.

Edward and Sophie have been very protective and that, I suspect, is going to continue and Louise and James will have a far more normal upbringing and be able to go to places without people staring at them and the paparazzi taking photos of them and the general public feeling that somehow they have a right to see them than ever happened with their older cousins.

We didn't see photos of her starting school or any of the other 'rights of passage' that were shown to the public. Most people couldn't care less about seeing them anyway so why put them out their and remove the potential for a virtually total private life unlike the rest of the family.

I doubt if we will be subject to the photos of them falling out of nightclubs in 20 years time, or the continual discussion about their love lives etc, which seems to be what most people discuss about their cousins and they will get normal jobs and work without doing 'royal' stuff like Zara and Peter (remember that Zara is in the limelight as much for being an excellent sportswoman as for being the eldest granddaughter of the monarch whereas Peter hardly rates a mention and has a regular job). Louise and James will do even less as by the time that they are teenagers and in their early 20s the odds are far more that they will be the neice and nephew and even possibly the cousins of the reigning monarch rather than the grandchildren and by then Edward and Sophie mightn't even be a Sandringham for Christmas as I suspect that Charles, in his determination to make the royal family smaller, may only have his own children and grandchildren there rather than adding his siblings and their descendents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
So would I.
I have heard that Sophie is the Queens favourite daughter in law, but I have never heard Edward as the favourite son.
I do realise that it is the Queens car and she is the queen, I just don't see why Sophie can't walk with the rest of the family, even Prince Phillip walks with the others.
The reason Sophie doesn't walk is that she drives with the Queen presumably because the Queen doesn't want to walk and wants someone to talk to and Sophie is the best one to do that with as far as she is concerned.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Princes' hi-tech Xmas gift to Queen

Quote:
Princes William and Harry treated the gadget-loving Queen to a trendy Blu-ray player for Christmas.
People.co.uk - Princes' hi-tech Xmas gift to Queen
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

My goodness! In ** Pic 1 ** I thought that the tall man in the blue coat was Prince Philip, until I saw Harry's face!!! His posture is just like the Duke's!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I couldn't imagine ever wasting so much of such a special day for a glimpse of a passing family going to and from church.
Fortunately we all have free choice in the matter. Some of us would choose to see the Royal Family, while some wouldn't.

On another tack, if any emphasis was needed... ** Pic 9 **
Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal watchers stunned as Sandringham officers swoop in and seize their cameras | Mail Online

Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Majesty

After reading the comments it is clear that they have been failed by the British education system. Most of those posters couldn't even read the article properly.

It was the police who decided to confiscate the cameras based on the signs that are up - saying no photos to be taken on the estate, which is private property but that that regulation is relaxed on Christmas Day.

This event didn't take place on Christmas Day (Friday) but yesterday (Sunday).
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I'm confused. The article seems to be dated 26/12, referring to events the previous day, i.e. 25/12, Christmas Day. I think someone well and truly snafued. The public, who have already been frisked, were then treated like paps and had their cameras confiscated. Not very good PR, methinks. If I had been amongst them, I would have definitely been very POd.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Confiscating cameras from well-wishers is a sad thing. My impression after reading the article is that it was the Norfolk police, who was zealous in taking the camera from well-wishers. Is there a legal basis for doing so? Anyway the whole situation might reinforce negatives views some UK citizens having about a monarchy in general and the British royal family in particular.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Well I'm confused. The article seems to be dated 26/12, referring to events the previous day, i.e. 25/12, Christmas Day. I think someone well and truly snafued. The public, who have already been frisked, were then treated like paps and had their cameras confiscated. Not very good PR, methinks. If I had been amongst them, I would have definitely been very POd.

I don't know where you saw the date but I saw it as the 28th and it is still saying 28th.

In addition there is a photo in the article which clearly shows the Queen in an outfit which isn't the red one she wore on Christmas Day and is captioned 'The Queen leaves the Sunday service with Princess Beatrice of York'. The Queen's outfit is a greyish one.

Another photo of Prince William also refers to is being the Sunday service with the caption 'The pictures they didn't want you to see... Prince William plays with a child in a pushchair at the end of the Sandringham Sunday Church service'.

There is even a couple of comments that make it clear that this didn't happen on Christmas Day as they were there that day and no cameras were confiscated and they used theirs to take photos but on another site there is a story from someone who went both days and he makes it clear that this happened at the Sunday service on the 27th not on the 25th, when the rules are relaxed.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Shouldn't the Queen have a say whether the public are treated like this on her land?
The article is dated the 28th, and talks about the previous days service.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I must be going mad, and blind, too. Yep, the article in question is dated 28th, and they're wearing different clothes. I still don't think the public should be treated like paparazzi though and be prevented from taking photos at an event like this. It's not good PR.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Remember that it wasn't the Queen that made this decision but the police.
It is clear that the Queen doesn't want the photos taken otherwise why put up the signs.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Andrew is the Queen's favorite and Anne is the Duke's favorite. But both of them get along well with Edward. They are very fond of Sophie....
Yes this is always what has been reported.

Tags
christmas