The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsc View Post
I'm curious as to what age Royal children are allowed at the 'adult' activities... Is it based strictly on age, or the child's maturity level? Eg. are they allowed at the Christmas dinner table, or are children up to age x fed separately?
In regards to eating food, we don't know and we'll never know. That's a detail kept private.

In regards to events, christmas church services, balcony appearances etc it depends upon the parents and closeness to the throne IMO. We haven't seen Savannah, Isla or James attend the christmas church services (unless I am mistaken) but we have seen Margarita Armstrong Jones, the chatto family and Lady Louise Windosr.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
In regards to eating food, we don't know and we'll never know. That's a detail kept private. In regards to events, christmas church services, balcony appearances etc it depends upon the parents and closeness to the throne IMO. We haven't seen Savannah, Isla or James attend the christmas church services (unless I am mistaken) but we have seen Margarita Armstrong Jones, the chatto family and Lady Louise Windosr.
Do you know when Louise began attending? I think this is definitely something unique to each child, but generally seems to be around the 5yr old mark. In looking at old photos, zara's 1st appearance was 1985( almost 5) william in 1986 (4 1/2 clutching his mothers hand and Harry 1989

edit - i just saw above Louise was 8 when she first attended. I think that is a more appropriate age. We will see if that is allowed for George and his siblings.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Do you know when Louise began attending? I think this is definitely something unique to each child, but generally seems to be around the 5yr old mark. In looking at old photos, zara's 1st appearance was 1985( almost 5) william in 1986 (4 1/2 clutching his mothers hand and Harry 1989

edit - i just saw above Louise was 8 when she first attended. I think that is a more appropriate age. We will see if that is allowed for George and his siblings.
This is post#797 from Iluvbertie:
START
Louise didn't attend until 2011 - aged 8 so I wouldn't expect to see James for another 2 years.

Edward and Sophie are determined to keep their children out of the public eye as much as possible and probably also believe that 8 is a better age to be attending these sorts of events.
END

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is post#797 from Iluvbertie:
START
Louise didn't attend until 2011 - aged 8 so I wouldn't expect to see James for another 2 years.

Edward and Sophie are determined to keep their children out of the public eye as much as possible and probably also believe that 8 is a better age to be attending these sorts of events.
END
I don't know how it works in the CoE but in the RC church, children would reach the age of reason at 7 and it was around then they made their First Communion. Perhaps its similar in the CoE?

Other than that, I would think it would depend on the child and his demeanor. Can he/she sit still and quiet during a service? To me it doesn't make sense to bring a child to church if he/she has absolutely no clue what is going on.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe its not the church service but the all the people, photographers and noise. Louise seems a calm child and still they waited until she was 8.

He does go to events such as Horse of the Year show and County Fairs and the like so it's not as if he's never allowed out.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is likely related to James' personality and his ability to sit still. He may be a lively 6 year old, thus his parents don't feel he would behave well enough to sit quietly during the service. He has been seen a lot more over the past 1-2 years, so I am sure when he turns 7 or 8 we will see him walk to church with his sister. He only attended Trooping the Colour this year, and even then he wasn't in the carriage - only the balcony. As Cepe said, Edward and Sophie appear to want their children to be shielded from the public eye and that is their wish. It is a bit of a shame as James appears to be an adorable little boy!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't know how it works in the CoE but in the RC church, children would reach the age of reason at 7 and it was around then they made their First Communion. Perhaps its similar in the CoE?

Other than that, I would think it would depend on the child and his demeanor. Can he/she sit still and quiet during a service? To me it doesn't make sense to bring a child to church if he/she has absolutely no clue what is going on.
In the CoE Confirmation is usually around 14 - 15 with First Communion shortly after that although some individual churches or jurisdictions do allow an unconfirmed person to take communion.

For example - my school, which is CoE, runs Confirmation classes as part of the Christian Studies course for Year 8 students (ages 13 - 14) with Confirmation late in the year, when most are 14 although many wait another year or so after the classes to actually make the public commitment. First Communion is then taken the following Sunday morning after the Confirmation Service. The school I went to as a child did something similar - but as a boarding school we would have Confirmation on the Saturday night and then First Communion on the Sunday morning before going out for the day with our parents to celebrate the occasion.

Prince William, for instance, was confirmed in 1997. They had a private service for him at St Georges while Harry was confirmed with his Eton classmates in 2000. William was about 15 and Harry nearer 16 when confirmed.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Re: St. Mary Magdalene Church

Has anyone ever visited? How large is it - how big a congregation can it hold?

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Sandringham | Sandringham Estate
Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Re: St. Mary Magdalene Church

Has anyone ever visited? How large is it - how big a congregation can it hold?

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Sandringham | Sandringham Estate
Yes I have visited it - as can anyone who visits the estate when the big house is open to the public.

I would say it is a normal sized country parish church, comparable to others I have visited, or attended services in, in rural England.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes I have visited it - as can anyone who visits the estate when the big house is open to the public.

I would say it is a normal sized country parish church, comparable to others I have visited, or attended services in, in rural England.
So it seats 100 or less? Sorry to be stupid, but I forgot to look inside rural English churches.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Majesty

About 100 - 150 I would say - maybe 200.

Rural villages have quite large churches, even for small communities because the size of the church was a reflection of the attitude of the people towards God and the buildings were, and even later ones than the medieval ones, were built more to the glory of God than to the necessity of the local community per se.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

If you imagine a standard oblong church with altar, then the main body of the church with aisle and pews either side - this will hold about 100. Quite a number of churches extended the main body of the church at the sides and this could add another 50-70 places.

In some of the large parishes churches which can be found in Norfolk and the Fen country, they had choir stalls/balcony above the nave of the church - for said choir or servants. Additional capacity of maybe 30. St Mary Magdelene's doesnt have this

Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Home - ITNSource News
silly question: why did HM called Kate to take flowers? I didn't see the little girls saying they were for Kate
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and members of the family attended church services this morning at Sandringham. (Sorry mods if this is the wrong thread).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ndringham.html

http://oi39.tinypic.com/wa3thx.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2rm1ffm.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/j748jr.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2mejqc.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/243qc6f.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/kf36za.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/280qcep.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/21jn8jq.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/oj03fa.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2148tpf.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sophie's hat is awesome. Lovely to see Louise again. :)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I didn't realize that The Royal Family were still at Sandringham - I thought they only stayed there until Boxing Day, but that was probably just my assumption. Do we know if they're staying there until New Year's Eve/Day or not?

Those were nice photos, thanks for posting dbarn67. I recognize Louise's coat, I think she last wore it at the Christmas Ascot last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Home - ITNSource News
silly question: why did HM called Kate to take flowers? I didn't see the little girls saying they were for Kate
This could be the wrong answer, but Catherine probably had her own flowers to collect; in the video HM is collecting her own flowers. (By the way, thanks for posting the video, it's nice to see that Catherine let Margarita and Louise [who were her bridesmaids in 2011] help her with the flowers.)
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In the CoE Confirmation is usually around 14 - 15 with First Communion shortly after that although some individual churches or jurisdictions do allow an unconfirmed person to take communion.

For example - my school, which is CoE, runs Confirmation classes as part of the Christian Studies course for Year 8 students (ages 13 - 14) with Confirmation late in the year, when most are 14 although many wait another year or so after the classes to actually make the public commitment. First Communion is then taken the following Sunday morning after the Confirmation Service. The school I went to as a child did something similar - but as a boarding school we would have Confirmation on the Saturday night and then First Communion on the Sunday morning before going out for the day with our parents to celebrate the occasion.

Prince William, for instance, was confirmed in 1997. They had a private service for him at St Georges while Harry was confirmed with his Eton classmates in 2000. William was about 15 and Harry nearer 16 when confirmed.
That is interesting. In our church (catholic) First Confession is 2nd grade--about age 7 and first Communion is either later that year or the following year ( age 8-9). Confirmation is about the same age at COE (13-14).
We have always brought the kids to church but some services we spent more time outside than in. It was nice when we had a children's liturgy.

I think bringing your child to services depends on the child and on the service (like we never brought them to midnight Mass)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Majesty

The Royal Family at Sandringham - Christmas Day 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=m_RGZppFd9E

Very nice pictures of the royals at church today. I'm wondering if Louise should be wearing some warmer footwear?

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Hereditary Princess The Queen and Prince Philip are at Sandringham until 6th February.Visitors come and go but I expect the Princess Royal to be at Gatcombe early in the new year as Zara is due to give birth.

Dman

She's wearing thick tights - maybe that's enough.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Hereditary Princess The Queen and Prince Philip are at Sandringham until 6th February.Visitors come and go but I expect the Princess Royal to be at Gatcombe early in the new year as Zara is due to give birth.
Thank you cepe. I didn't know they stayed there for that long.
I agree with you regarding Anne and her family.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!

Tags
christmas