British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A member of my family was at Sandringham this morning. He said a police officer walked toward the crowd, to stop a man who yelled at William.

Queen Elizabeth II is far from being my favorite royal, but I must admit that was one of her best Christmas Messages in recent years.

I may be American but Her Majesty's Christmas Messages is my personal tradition and I always enjoy them. I like that she mention my favorite show, 'Game of Thrones.'

Video:
The Queen and members of the Royal Family attended the Morning Service on Christmas Day at Sandringham Church-

Home - ITNSource News

I see The Queen didn't accept any flowers from children this year. I guess she's now leaving it to the younger royals.

A very good speech by Her Majesty. I adore the Queen, but it is not always I have time to see the Christmas Message live on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2whLW5F5mY

Not only one of her best of recent memory, but one of great truth as well. Especially during the times we live in where it seems our World is being torn apart by hatred and war. :(

Very well done indeed and, is also traditional for me, getting teary eyed at the end. Don't know why but every year I get choked up at the end of Rudolph when Santa wishes us all Merry Christmas and at the end of Her Majesty's Speech when she also does the same.

Every. Single. Christmas!! Can't explain it, but... :)

BTW...That was The Band of The Royal Marines playing first God Save The Queen and then Silent Night, right? Dad asked if I knew and judging from the uniforms, that's who I said it was, but not sure either, so...Just wondering if I got it right or not. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

BTW...That was The Band of The Royal Marines playing first God Save The Queen and then Silent Night, right? Dad asked if I knew and judging from the uniforms, that's who I said it was, but not sure either, so...Just wondering if I got it right or not. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

That is indeed the Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines. Most likely chosen because 2104 is their 350th anniversary (and also because they're the best military band in the world ;)).

Is there a reason why he almost never attends this kind of gatherings?

In wondered about that too because i think he should be old enough now to attend. Don't remeber when Louise started to attend but i think it at the latest 2010 when she was the same age as James is now.

Emily Andrews
‏@byEmilyAndrews
Prince George didn't miss out on church. He went to Sunday candlelit service at Anmer Church w W&K. Maddison Neal, 8, helped w his lantern.

In wondered about that too because i think he should be old enough now to attend. Don't remeber when Louise started to attend but i think it at the latest 2010 when she was the same age as James is now.

I think Louise started to participate in the family walk from Church on Christmas Day in 2011, after her participation in William and Catherine's wedding, and Trooping the Colour. She was eight years old. Perhaps we'll see James next year, but it may depend on his ability to sit relatively still, and behave himself. Every child is different, and maybe at this time James is just not up to being a part of this.

I really enjoyed listening to Her Majesty's Christmas Message. I catch it every year. This year's message was quite moving, since as someone pointed out, it relates to what's going on in the world.

Is it possible Viscount Severn may be asserting nascent Atheism, and refuses to attend ? #joke

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing so many people waiting outside the church for the Royal Family! It was great to see the footage of almost everyone and particularly nice to see Lady Louise.
The Queen's Christmas message was lovely and beautifully filmed, there was a hint of a more personal feel to it than in previous years.

The Queen invokes the spirit of reconciliation - Telegraph

We have heard much this year – the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War – about remembrance. The blood-red field of ceramic poppies outside the Tower of London, each symbolising a life cut short in that industrialised slaughter, captured the imagination of the nation, made us think anew about what it must have been like to be on those awful, muddy fields, to have been summoned to make the ultimate sacrifice for King and country.

In her Christmas message yesterday, Her Majesty the Queen did indeed evoke that theme of sacrifice and loss. Upon visiting the poppies, she said: “The only possible reaction to seeing them and walking among them was silence. For every poppy a life; and a reminder of the grief of loved ones left behind.”
Yet her chosen theme was not remembrance, but reconciliation. In a world scarred by war and conflict, in which our political discourse seems more rancorous than ever, it was not only useful but necessary to be reminded that we can also put our divisions behind us. Her Majesty began by invoking the image of Coventry Cathedral – destroyed in a later and no less terrible conflict – but also dwelt on the Christmas truce of 1914, the most tangible possible proof of how shared humanity can break through institutional enmity, if only for a moment.

It was a similar story with Her Majesty’s visit to Belfast: there, she was able to see how the Crumlin Road jail, once a place of misery, “is now a place of hope and fresh purpose; a reminder of what is possible when people reach out to one another”. The pointed mentions of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and of the Scottish referendum campaign, suggested a similar hope – though couched in Her Majesty’s customary oblique and respectful fashion – that the wounds within the Union can also be healed.
This was not just a Christmas message, but a Christian one. The Queen has always been not just the head of the Anglican Church, but one of its most devout members. Yesterday, she spoke explicitly about Christ’s role as “an inspiration and an anchor in my life” – and about how Jesus incarnated the very virtues of reconciliation, compassion and forgiveness about which she was speaking.

On that Christmas Day 100 years ago, the German soldiers sang a carol that talked of a Christmas centuries before: Silent Night. That moment was, said Her Majesty, a reminder that “peace and goodwill have lasting power in the hearts of men and women”, and that “even in the unlikeliest of places, hope can still be found”. That is a sentiment, and an inspiration, that should remain with us long after Christmas itself has passed.

Did Princess Margaret‘s children, as well as Zara and their respective families all attend?

Did Princess Margaret‘s children, as well as Zara and their respective families all attend?

Zara was in Australia with her family but Lord Linley and Sarah Chatto attended with their children.

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]The Linleys or the family of Lady Sarah Chatto [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]do not attend Sandringham every year but alternates with spending Christmas with their other sides of families. This year they didn't attend.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Zara was in Australia with her family but Lord Linley and Sarah Chatto attended with their children.

Lord Linley and Sarah Chatto and their families did not attend Christmas at Sandringham this year. It was the immediate family this year.

Is there any news on the Duchess of Cornwall? I believe she missed the Christmas Day service due to a back pain?

Its was a pity the Duchess was not able to attend the Christmas Day Service.

The Middleton's must have slipped in and out of church without much notice because we only got two pictures of them attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom