The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Pictures and article are in the Current Events Thread.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope the young lady on the right turned around in time to catch a glimpse of HM and the DoE!

Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
On Christmas Eve, for the first time in more than 100 years, three generations of heirs to the throne will gather beneath the 18ft Norfolk pine in the white drawing room at Sandringham House. This has been a year of firsts for the Royal family – a birth largely ungoverned by protocols, an ever-closer relationship with the Middleton in-laws – and Christmas marks yet another milestone, as Prince George and his parents join the Queen for celebrations.
George's first Christmas: Three Kings under one roof - Telegraph
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

I'm getting a need to subscribe to read further message when I click on that link. New for me w/The Telegraph and Darn It!!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
I'm getting a need to subscribe to read further message when I click on that link. New for me w/The Telegraph and Darn It!!
try different browsers
it helps me - one of my browsers says 'no', but another shows me articles
Old 12-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Aristocracy

Any news about The Queen's christmas message, will it be recorded at Sandringham this year?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
The Telegraph allows you to read 10 articles "free of charge". After that, they want you to subscribe. But as Spheno pointed out, if after you read those 10 articles, you use a different browser, the Telegraph doesn't recognize you, and allows you to read more articles. Don't tell anyone, but I use three different browsers.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Majesty

Christmas at Buckingham Palace:
Join Nicholas Owen in the Ballroom of Buckingham Palace for the annual Carol Concert for the Royal Household.

Following the Queen's Speech at 3pm, Classic FM presenter and former ITN Royal Correspondent Nicholas Owen joins the Royal Household in the beautiful surroundings of the Ballroom of Buckingham Palace for their annual Carol Concert-
Christmas Shows - Christmas at Buckingham Palace - Classic FM, The Home of Christmas Music

Now you can also listen this radio station outside from United Kingdom, United States and Canada - See more at:
Classic FM UK Live Radio Streaming | Listen 100.9 FM Online London | FM Radio Online

The Prince's Foundation for Children & the Arts Christmas Carol Concert 2013:
Amanda Holden, Brian Blessed and Penelope Wilton were among the stars at Holy Trinity Church in Sloane Square, London, for the annual Christmas Carol Concert of the Prince’s Foundation for Children & the Arts. The Concert will be broadcast on Classic FM on Christmas Eve at 6pm-
http://www.classicfm.com/radio/chris...en-arts-carol/

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
The Telegraph allows you to read 10 articles "free of charge". After that, they want you to subscribe. But as Spheno pointed out, if after you read those 10 articles, you use a different browser, the Telegraph doesn't recognize you, and allows you to read more articles. Don't tell anyone, but I use three different browsers.
They kept doing this to me. I guess I b***hed enough to them about it I haven't seen the message in quite a long time and I know I read more than 10 articles. I even got the message when they used to allow 20 articles a month!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Courtier

Royal family members to sleep in servants quarters as the Queen invites 30 to Sandringham | Royal | News | Daily Express

Mainly the article talks about how once again some members of the Royal Family will have to stay in servants rooms as there will be 30 people staying at Sandringham.
It also mentions that at the start of her reign the Queen and her family celebrated Christmas at Sandringham but that as there were more and more people in the family they moved Christmas to Windsor.
I never knew the Queen had moved her Christmas from Sandringham to Windsor, I always thought Christmas was always celebrated at Windsor until the fire. Maybe the Queen would consider moving her Christmas celebrations to Windsor once more.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

It is entirely possible. Sandringham is pretty much at max capacity. As the queen's grandchildren get married and have kids, I can see them going back to Windsor where there is more room. I don't see the Queen not inviting David and Sarah's families to Sandringham. The Queen has always been close to them.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Majesty

The Queen though is nearing the end of her reign - sad but true - and I don't see a change coming. Next year William and Kate won't be in the big house and possibly Harry will stay with them rather than in the 'big house'. There are also other houses on the estate they could use - let David and Sarah and their families for instance stay in Wood House although do all the other things at the big house.

I can also see more of the grandchildren not going to Sandringham and splitting Christmas with their in-laws, as William and Kate did last year.

When Charles is King I would expect the numbers to be smaller - with possibly not even his siblings all invited every year - allowing for a rotation.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen though is nearing the end of her reign - sad but true - and I don't see a change coming. Next year William and Kate won't be in the big house and possibly Harry will stay with them rather than in the 'big house'. There are also other houses on the estate they could use - let David and Sarah and their families for instance stay in Wood House although do all the other things at the big house.

I can also see more of the grandchildren not going to Sandringham and splitting Christmas with their in-laws, as William and Kate did last year.

When Charles is King I would expect the numbers to be smaller - with possibly not even his siblings all invited every year - allowing for a rotation.
I understand your argument but it seems to me it is based on the premis that this is all about the Queen. If that were true then if the King invites you for Christmas, then I think the family would go as they do now. Its become as much a tradition for them as it is for her.

Charles, if not apparently close to his siblings, does seem close to most of the next generation. He is particularly fond of Sarah Chatto for example. His children are close to their cousins and he'd like to maintain that, IMO.

I think the atmosphere might be more relaxed than now, as it seems the Queen has the Edwardian Christmas her parents enjoyed.

I think that there will be little change in attendees - and certainly not immediately as the family would want to be seen to support the new King.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I agree that this is a likely scenario for future BRF Christmases with King Charles.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I understand your argument but it seems to me it is based on the premis that this is all about the Queen. If that were true then if the King invites you for Christmas, then I think the family would go as they do now. Its become as much a tradition for them as it is for her.
I do think it is all about The Queen and being there for her - note how Beatrice and Eugenie never get to see their own mother at Christmas (or Peter and Zara for that matter see their own father). That is unreasonable in most families.

Quote:
Charles, if not apparently close to his siblings, does seem close to most of the next generation. He is particularly fond of Sarah Chatto for example. His children are close to their cousins and he'd like to maintain that, IMO.
Sarah Chatto is Charles' own generation and being 'fond' doesn't necessarily mean you need to see them at Christmas or that they want to always spend Christmas with a cousin rather than with the other side of their family.

I don't think that William is particularly close to his younger cousins and he has already had one Christmas with the Middleton's and I expect that will happen more and more - next year I would expect him to be with them rather than with the royals, unless they are also at Anmer Hall.

Quote:
I think the atmosphere might be more relaxed than now, as it seems the Queen has the Edwardian Christmas her parents enjoyed.
Charles also enjoys the formalities etc that he has grown up - I don't see it more relaxed under Charles - just a different and smaller family group - Charles and Camilla, William, Harry and their families and possibly Tom and Laura and their families.

Quote:
I think that there will be little change in attendees - and certainly not immediately as the family would want to be seen to support the new King.
I see the biggest change in attendees happening - replacing siblings and cousins with step-children so that his wife can also have Christmas with her family.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

agree to disagree then

Point of fact - I wouldn't call Sarah Chatto "Charles generation" she was born in 1964, and is not 50 until May 1 2014. Same age as Sophie.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Nobility

Sophie is the same generation as Charles too.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

No - 49 and 65 is not the same generation

Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am not sure if I would put Sophie and Charles in the same generation or not...I mean Edward and Charles are both children of the Queen but there is quite an age gap. I suppose they are the same generation in a sense, but Edward and Sophie are in completely different life stages than Charles is.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I would never have put Diana in the same generation as Charles and she was 3 years older than Sophie and Sarah Chatto. When Charles was 31 and getting married, Edward and Sophie were still at school. Having the same parent does not mean you are of the same generation.

Tags
christmas