British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything known about the reason the Duchess of Cornwall didn't attend the luncheon at Buckingham Palace ?

According Mark Stewart who is royal photographer, George and Nanny Maria weren't with W&K when the arrived but with them when the left so George with his parents are leaving photos Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
The view from the gate post said the Phillips girls where with their parents so George wasn't the only little one from the immediate family. He also could have just brought a book from KP and it wasn't a gift.
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I live in a non land rover part of the world. The Cambridges coming in had no black grating in the back of their land rover. Leaving, they did have that grating. I am assuming that grating is there for the hounds. Anyway - does that mean they came in in one LR and left in another? Or is that grate something that can pop up?

They probably switched range rovers. Nanny Maria, George and the police officer would have come to BP in the same type of car and the Cambridges probably just used that one to drive home because George's car seat being already in it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Is there anything known about the reason the Duchess of Cornwall didn't attend the luncheon at Buckingham Palace ?

We only know Charles arrived separately but there are no pictures of him leaving. She could have arrived earlier in the day, before people started taking photos or arrived unnoticed.

We only know Charles arrived separately but there are no pictures of him leaving. She could have arrived earlier in the day, before people started taking photos or arrived unnoticed.

That is likely the case. She arrived earlier in the day so wasn't seen. There are no photos of Edward and Sophie arriving so they killer arrived earlier in the day as well like Camilla

:previous: But I saw a picture of Ed& Soph arriving... She was sitting in the back seat:flowers:

We all have different definitions but I'm not sure the Queen would consider Prince George extended family.

Of course not. He's an heir to throne, not THE heir but an heir and third in line!

Having just seen the video of CP Victoria Christmas tree decorating with her husband and daughter, a few photos (some vague and grainy) of the British Royal Family arriving at Buckingham Palace (or indeed leaving, not that there is any difference) seems just a little less festive to me :unsure:

Last edited:
The BRF are very private and don't seem to want to release annual christmas photos. It would be a nice touch to perhaps see the children decorating the tree. I am sure I read somewhere that the Queen waits for the small children to arrive to finish decorating the tree at Sandringham, but I could have made that up.

The BRF are very private and don't seem to want to release annual christmas photos. It would be a nice touch to perhaps see the children decorating the tree. I am sure I read somewhere that the Queen waits for the small children to arrive to finish decorating the tree at Sandringham, but I could have made that up.

Well, you're right of-course and we have the Queen speech to look forward to (which is the big event for me at Christmas!) and the Sandringham church pictures. In many ways, perhaps it wouldn't work with the British Royal Family being too open - perhaps in future generations!
Decorating the Christmas tree would be a great way to keep the children occupied when everyone arrives and there is lots going on - it always works for me and keeps me out of trouble :lol:

Not releasing saccharine photos for Christmas does not make the British royals very private.

Well, you're right of-course and we have the Queen speech to look forward to (which is the big event for me at Christmas!) and the Sandringham church pictures. In many ways, perhaps it wouldn't work with the British Royal Family being too open - perhaps in future generations!
Decorating the Christmas tree would be a great way to keep the children occupied when everyone arrives and there is lots going on - it always works for me and keeps me out of trouble :lol:

As you've pointed out, the traditions are the Queen's Christmas speech and the annual Christmas day walk to and from church which are regularly photographed. I like that they keep certain things very private as it gives HM the chance to be just "Granny" and enjoy her family, make wise cracks, get on hands and knees and play with the children if she wanted to and forget about her position as one of the world's best known head of state if only for a little while.

There were times were the royals were pictured and videoed decorating the Christmas tree and handing out presents at Buckingham Palace. The Queen has included those scenes in her Christmas Message.

I do think it would be nice for the royal family to release a portrait for Christmas. The family has grown beautifully over the years but they're not properly photographed as a family.

There were times were the royals were pictured and videoed decorating the Christmas tree and handing out presents at Buckingham Palace. The Queen has included those scenes in her Christmas Message.

I do think it would be nice for the royal family to release a portrait for Christmas. The family has grown beautifully over the years but they're not properly photographed as a family.

I suppose they don't release a photo as there are so many members today. I think one of the Queen with her grandchildren would be a nice annual photo, like Beatrix used to do. As you said the family used to be shown at Christmas over the years, and she used to use family clips for her speech. There was the clip of her looking at photos with a young Andrew and Edward for one speech in the 70's. Now her speeches reflect the work of her children etc. which isn't a bad thing really.

The best we can hope for is some lovely photos from the walk to and from church on Christmas day.

I like that each royal family has their own distinct Christmas tradition. For the BRF it is 'The Queen's Message' and church services. Although even they can surprise us when last year media photos clearly showed the family attended not one, but two morning services. The photo's were a dead giveaway.

I look forward to both this year.

They are rarely all together for very long and now with William and Kate not even staying at the main house they will be together under the same roof for even less time.

Charles and Camilla won't arrive until around dusk on Christmas Eve (I have heard as late as 4 - 5 pm) and Camilla is gone again before 3 the next day to spend Christmas evening itself with her own family so they are together for less than 24 hours. Beatrice and Eugenie also leave quite quickly to spend time with their mother.

It is increasingly a 'duty' stay with The Queen which lasts for a day at best and with the Cambridge's not even staying there, there will be about 3 - 4 hours when they are all together at best.

By Boxing Day most of them have left to go to their own families or the other side of their family. The Wessexes stay on but the others don't.

They are rarely all together for very long and now with William and Kate not even staying at the main house they will be together under the same roof for even less time.

Charles and Camilla won't arrive until around dusk on Christmas Eve (I have heard as late as 4 - 5 pm) and Camilla is gone again before 3 the next day to spend Christmas evening itself with her own family so they are together for less than 24 hours. Beatrice and Eugenie also leave quite quickly to spend time with their mother.

It is increasingly a 'duty' stay with The Queen which lasts for a day at best and with the Cambridge's not even staying there, there will be about 3 - 4 hours when they are all together at best.

By Boxing Day most of them have left to go to their own families or the other side of their family. The Wessexes stay on but the others don't.

I'm not talking about them taking a picture actually on Christmas. They could have done it anytime of the year and release it during the holiday season or any other time. I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a big family picture of the royals. I think they missed the opportunity during The Queen's Diamond Jubilee or Coronation Anniversary. I think the last time they took a big family picture was back in the 70's.

They are rarely together - not only at Christmas but at any time.

This year for instance - on most of the occasions when the family would be together at least one person was absent e.g. Trooping the Colour - Beatrice wasn't there, this past week with the Christmas lunch - reports Camilla wasn't there. Eugenie lives in the US so isn't available most of the time for such a photo.

We also don't know that a full family photo wasn't taken at the events you mentioned. Just because one wasn't released doesn't mean one wasn't taken.

Where do you draw the line as to who would be in the photo? Just The Queen and Philip's descendants? She is close to her niece and nephew so should they be included? What about her cousins? Their children and grandchildren? What about the Harewood's? If the Gloucester's and Kent's then why not the Harewood's who are as much the Queen's family as the Gloucester's and Kent's as the descendants of her father's sister rather than his brothers?

Bertie, I think the point is that up until a point we did get shots of the Queen, DoE, and their children, then also the grandchildren as they came about. Very posed family pictures type. I don't think I've seen one that wasn't Balcony related since Beatrice and Eugenie were very small. To me, it'd be nice if they could do a big group shot of the "family" - the kids, the grandkids, the great-grandkids, and the various in-laws. Or, okay, maybe that's a bit unfeasible given the number of people it would involve, but even a shot of the Queen, DoE, and all their grandchildren (with or without the great-grandchildren) would be nice.

With next year being the Queen's 90th birthday and the year she surpasses Victoria's reign it seems like there might be the possibility for some sort of big, group family shot that we haven't seen the likes of for probably at least 20 years. The Queen, the DoE, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren - or at least as many of them as happens to be together at a time. Sure it's 24-25 people (depending on the when), but I have a hard time believing that they couldn't manage something. It could be the Christmas card next year.

That said, it would be nice even to see a lesser version - the Queen, DoE and their children, or them and their grandchildren, or just all the grandchildren, or all the great-grandchildren. Heck, even a nice family picture of Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, and George.

:previous: I agree, Ish. Forget for the moment that Elizabeth is the Queen. I think it would be a really good idea for her to round up all her descendants for a spectacular group photo while both she and Philip are around and well enough to do it.

I'd be organising it now, right now, and not waiting till next year for her 90th or till she beats her great-great-grandmother in the longest reign stakes. It would be a shame to leave it too late.

Why do you guys keep saying the Queen will turn 90 next year? I thought she was born in 1926.

I also don't think she will do a group photo when she surpasses Victoria next September. It's a little pompous to brag about living longer than one of your relatives, I can't see her disrespecting Victoria like that.

Why do you guys keep saying the Queen will turn 90 next year? I thought she was born in 1926.

I also don't think she will do a group photo when she surpasses Victoria next September. It's a little pompous to brag about living longer than one of your relatives, I can't see her disrespecting Victoria like that.

As for HM's age, in my case all I can say is 'monkey see, monkey do'. :blush:

Surpassing Victoria in length of reign has nothing to do with outliving her. Elizabeth has already outlived Victoria by 7 years and is the oldest reigning British monarch.

Celebrating her long reign is about Elizabeth reigning longer than Victoria, who at the moment is the longest reigning British monarch, with Elizabeth in second place and closing and I hope she makes it to first place. Victoria acceded to the throne at the age of 18 so had a 7 year head start over Elizabeth who was 25 when her father died.

I understand that precedence amongst living monarchs is determined by length of reign so it's a concept with which they are well familiar and there's nothing disrespectful about it.

Last edited:
There was a family photo a few years ago. Only ones missing were the Wessex children. I think it was the Queen and DoE anniversary. 60?

Of course these 'family' photos could very well be taken - but simply not being released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a family photo taken each year at the Christmas get-together - for their own memories for instance.

Of course these 'family' photos could very well be taken - but simply not being released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a family photo taken each year at the Christmas get-together - for their own memories for instance.

I think that's right, they probably do have photos taken regularly, they just don't release them to the public.

Queen and Prince Philip attend church without family for some quiet time ahead of Xmas | Royal | News | Daily Express
THE Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended church without the rest of the royal family as they began their Christmas preparations.

After arriving in Norfolk by train on Friday, the 88-year-old monarch looked chirpy as she made her way from Sandringham House to St Mary Magdalene Church.

The Queen opted to travel in a Ranger Rover while plucky Prince Philip, wrapped up in a camel coat, made the short journey on foot.

There was no sign of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who are currently at their nearby home of Anmer Hall.

Wearing purple, the Queen did not pause to greet crowds of well-wishers who had gathered outside the church as a cold wind whipped across the estate.

Wearing purple, the Queen did not pause to greet crowds of well-wishers who had gathered outside the church as a cold wind whipped across the estate.

And so another season of THIS begins

Well leave the woman alone already...she doesn't have to wave everytime a group of people think they need to watch her walking from Church.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom