The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah, but if she was at Sandringham and had to leave the service due to her nausea, she'd have to face the fact that the entire royal family were watching her head off to barf. That would be pretty bloody embarrassing. Having to do so in front of a bunch of strangers in Berkshire would've been less mortifying.

The Queen herself has said that the RF maintain only those traditions that it makes sense to keep. Having a tradition whereby those who marry into the RF never spend Christmas with their own family is just silly. The Middletons are just as much William and Kate's family as the Windsors are.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Majesty

Surely having to leave in front of her family - who would have kept that quiet as they are the only people there would have been preferable to doing so in front of the general public who could sell the gory details to the press along with the idea of denying those same members of the public access to the facilities at the local church.

As there are no such reports presumably she didn't need to leave for any reason and she has been well enough to attend an awards function and two well-publicsed meals without any dramas.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just feel like, if I were Kate, I wouldn't be able to relax among the RF if there was a constant risk of vomiting all the time. Kate's known most of them for a long time, but she's really only getting to know the Queen. It wouldn't be unreasonable for her to feel uncomfortable in that situation.

We don't know if she's attended the SPOTY awards and the lunch at BP without any 'dramas'. We don't know the extent of her HG at this point.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

^Yep. Comfort is important for her right now. So I can't blame her for choosing to stay with her family instead of going to Sandringham. Two church services + pre-Christmas/Christmas activities and multiple outfit changes (for meals) sounds exhausting compared to one church service and a quiet day at home with a few family members. When you're not feeling well, the last thing you want is to be moving around all day.

Since the two lunches were relatively private, it's hard to know if they were drama free. But she could only attend the SPOTY awards for 45 minutes, so she's obviously still not feeling well.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Gentry

I personally feel sorry for Tim Laurence. It looks like Anne can never be bothered to walk next to him. I have a feeling he really regrets marrying her but is an honorable man and has remained with her for nearly 20 years now.

I thought Zara looked really good but my gosh, can't she get a dental bridge for her missing teeth? I never noticed how unbecoming it was until the 2012 Christmas photos appeared.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
You'd swear by spending Christmas with Catherine's family William is neglecting a constitutional duty.
Great comment. After all, William is 2nd in line to the throne, not the heir apparent. He's missed Sandringham in the past due to military duty, as has Harry. The monarchy will not end because he and Kate aren't there to change clothes 5 times and parade in front of the cameras like zoo animals. I think it's great that the Middleton family hasn't been tossed aside simply because their daughter married into the RF. I bet Diana would have liked to spend time with her family at Christmas. I'm proud that William is putting his wife first at this point in time. There will be many years in the future that their wishes get overruled by duty. Now should not be that time.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royals attend Church

Newspix International has some lovely images, particularly one of Lady Louise accepting presents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
I personally feel sorry for Tim Laurence. It looks like Anne can never be bothered to walk next to him. I have a feeling he really regrets marrying her but is an honorable man and has remained with her for nearly 20 years now.
I think the opposite; there are many times that you see Anne and Tim sharing a little secret smile. Tim is almost always with Anne, supporting her unnoticed in the background without any praise. He is one of my favourite family members, he appears to be lovely.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I thought Zara looked really good but my gosh, can't she get a dental bridge for her missing teeth? I never noticed how unbecoming it was until the 2012 Christmas photos appeared.
Considering Zara's career as an equestrian it is possible that her dentist will not give her implants until she retires from the sport because there is a choking risk if they're knocked out. The same could happen with teeth that are on a removable device.

Beyond that it is possible that Zara simply doesn't care.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I just feel like, if I were Kate, I wouldn't be able to relax among the RF if there was a constant risk of vomiting all the time. Kate's known most of them for a long time, but she's really only getting to know the Queen. It wouldn't be unreasonable for her to feel uncomfortable in that situation.

We don't know if she's attended the SPOTY awards and the lunch at BP without any 'dramas'. We don't know the extent of her HG at this point.
I agree 100%. The senior royals know that the formality observed at Sandringham won't be easy for someone who is feeling nauseous.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Little Louise is the image of her father! Everyone seems happy, except Andrew. He always has a cranky face on. And why does Sophie always have her hat on the side of her head? I wonder how she secures it in that precarious position?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Royals attend Church

Newspix International has some lovely images, particularly one of Lady Louise accepting presents!

Ah those photo's are lovely,especially the ones of Lady Louise.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Royals attend Church

Thank you for the pictures, Molly . As always, Louise is being her sweet and poised self. She did appear a little bemused at the gift, which is precious in and of itself .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Queen attends Christmas service at Sandringham with Prince Philip senior members of royal family - hellomagazine.com

"Pure People" Elisabeth II : Des fêtes de Noël sans Kate Middleton, William et Harry
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Courtier

I thought Kate & William should have been there but...

I'm sure Lady Louise didn't mind being the center of attention.

It's nice of Charles & Camilla to stay in the middle so that other members of the family take the lead; and the focus is on the entire family and not just the Wales.

As always, nice to see Princess Anne with her children & their spouses. The York girls helping their granny.

But I guess, James is still too impatient to sit through a church service so again, he's left at home.

I don't see anything wrong with Zara's teeth, she's only missing one tooth.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Iluvbertie, you are probably right about the "loo" thing, but I have another interpretation of this situation. Probably Catherine ate nothing all morning (maybe some candies she could suck) so that she wouldn't have anything to throw up at church. And thus she looked a bit weak. On the other hand, the Middletons might have chosen this upscale church for Christmas because it had modern "loos" with plenty of access to everyone.
My local Episcopal church had cramped "loos" until they build an addition with big easy-access bathrooms.
Well, sorry for all the bathroom talk, but it's a necessity for a woman with HG, and one reason she might not want to go to Sandringham. If she appears there during the holidays I predict she will not eat anything before making her appearance. HG reduces you to pretty basic parameters of human existence.

That said, Catherine's chances of being all well soon are good. Not perfect, but good. Within the month she will be normal if she follows the most common HG pattern. She looks as if she might have pressure behind her eyes (raised blood pressure) and flushed face, and becoming normal again cannot come too soon. I have not predicted baby's gender or twinning, but at this point twinning seems possible.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
^Yep. Comfort is important for her right now. So I can't blame her for choosing to stay with her family instead of going to Sandringham. Two church services + pre-Christmas/Christmas activities and multiple outfit changes (for meals) sounds exhausting compared to one church service and a quiet day at home with a few family members. When you're not feeling well, the last thing you want is to be moving around all day.

Since the two lunches were relatively private, it's hard to know if they were drama free. But she could only attend the SPOTY awards for 45 minutes, so she's obviously still not feeling well.

Why would she have had to go to two church services?

Normally William wouldn't arrive at Sandringham until Christmas Eve - the Monday so no church service then - so only the short service on Tuesday was necessary.

I am sure that the family would have accomodated her needs to rest and even not insisted on her changing, and even not insisted on everyone else changing as a show of solidarity.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I, for one, think it's refreshing to see Zara not fussing about her looks just because she's celebrating christmas with her family and knows she's gonna get photographed. It would also be a horribly expensive affair to get bridges and implants everytime she lose some teeth (which can happen quite often in competitive horse riding).

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why would she have had to go to two church services?
Most (maybe all) of the Royals go church very early on Christmas morning, before the "official" walk later. Certainly the major Royals go then. I believe at that time is when they receive sacraments. Therefore, there are two church services that they attend on Christmas Day.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

No sign of the Linleys or Chattos this year - dont they do alternate years at Sandringham as well?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Majesty

The only time I have ever heard of them going to two services on Christmas Day is when Christmas Day and Sunday are on the same day - like 2011 - when they have the normal Sunday service and then later attend the Christmas Service.

On a non-Sunday Christmas Day they only go once. This is a non-Sunday Christmas Day so only once.

Tags
christmas