The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Courtier

I seriously believe it is not wise to spend the Christmas with the Middletons. Christmas at Sandringham gives a wonderful image of the Royal Family being together religiously, which is the ultimate projection a family can get. Also, it is a tradition, old or new, and it has to be followed. No one including Diana or Sophie made fuss about this. Once they are part of this family, they should be here. Imagine what if every royal spouse wants to take her husband and kids to her parents' home for Christmas..The Linleys, The Chattos, The Wessexes, everyone could have gone to their in-laws homes, but they remained devoted to the Queen and Sandringham.
Christmas at Sandringham is the informal, religious equivalent of Trooping the Colour/Remembrance. Many people look forward to seeing the whole family there. I am very disappointed by Will and Kate doing so.
But since the Queen already knows everything in advance, she must have approved. But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

Traditions, like rules, are made to be broken. Good grief, its the first time. You'd swear by spending Christmas with Catherine's family William is neglecting a constitutional duty.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

So lovely to see everyone looking so well and dressed in their finery. Louise's rose pink coat is adorable, though I do wish she had different shoes on. She does look cute as a button though, and her big smile just tops it off. A lot of people comment on other websites remark that Louise is dressed as a 5 year old, however Zara and the York sisters wore similar coats and tights/shoes until they were definitely 11/12ish for Christmas. It's age appropriate. Of course it would look cute if she rocked up in sparkled tights and bright gold shoes, but she is a Windsor - they are strict rules at Christmas.

Sophie looks lovely, but it's so odd to actually see her walk to Church. Wonder what happened there. The men look lovely in their overcoats, and the Phillips-Tindalls group all look wonderful.

There weren't that many photos this year; it just goes to show how much attention the "Trio" bring.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Traditions, like rules, are made to be broken.
Dude tradition is the sole pillar on which stands the edifice of monarchy. If you "can break" it, or not care for it, then there is no point in talking further.
What I am disappointed with is the parallel coverage of Sandringham and Middletons'. Hopefully this will not repeat often in future.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
So lovely to see everyone looking so well and dressed in their finery. Louise's rose pink coat is adorable, though I do wish she had different shoes on. She does look cute as a button though, and her big smile just tops it off. A lot of people comment on other websites remark that Louise is dressed as a 5 year old, however Zara and the York sisters wore similar coats and tights/shoes until they were definitely 11/12ish for Christmas. It's age appropriate. Of course it would look cute if she rocked up in sparkled tights and bright gold shoes, but she is a Windsor - they are strict rules at Christmas.

Sophie looks lovely, but it's so odd to actually see her walk to Church. Wonder what happened there. The men look lovely in their overcoats, and the Phillips-Tindalls group all look wonderful.

There weren't that many photos this year; it just goes to show how much attention the "Trio" bring.
I think that Louise's old-fashioned style of dress is quite refreshing. I work with kids who are four, and let me tell you, some of the girls come to school wearing make-up and nail polish (one of the boys came in with blue nail polish in September, and his mom loves to tell us that he wants to wear sparkly shoes, because his big sister has them ...now, fashion statements are fine, but sparkly shoes for a little boy is going just a tad too far, especially for school), so Louise, dressed in age-appropriate attire is just what we need. I think white or beige shoes would have looked better, but, we also have to remember that if it's muddy, or wet, black shoes would hide any dirt that may accumulate during a walk (also, it's winter, so black footwear is perfectly doable). I'm glad Sophie encourages the more retro look for her daughter. It suits her perfectly.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A nice picture of the smiling Duchess of Cambridge:
William and Catherine
How adorable... :-)
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually think Beatrice looks best this year.
I love that caped coat she is wearing.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.
They did not spend Christmas away with their family.

The Middletons are absolutely no less William and Catherine's family than the Royal Family. I think it is lovely that this is acknowledged on Christmas Day.

Also, how odd to criticize a choice that is almost certainly largely based on Catherine's severe illness and her resulting inability to fully partake in Christmas at Sandringham. By going to a more low-key location she can take part in everything instead of having to 'sit out' much of it. I feel certain that her health trumps people's desire to see her in public with the other half of her family.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post

Also, how odd to criticize a choice that is almost certainly largely based on Catherine's severe illness and her resulting inability to fully partake in Christmas at Sandringham. By going to a more low-key location she can take part in everything instead of having to 'sit out' much of it. I feel certain that her health trumps people's desire to see her in public with the other half of her family.
Considering she participated in exactly the same events with the Middletons as she would have with the royals, illness doesn't seemed to have made an effect on the day.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

How does anyone know what the royals do on Christmas Day, let alone the Middleton Family?

One thing is for certain, Catherine is free to curl up in bed and sleep all day if she chooses or walk around in her pyjamas and not worry about bumping into Peter Philips
Old 12-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl
How does anyone know what the royals do on Christmas Day, let alone the Middleton Family?

One thing is for certain, Catherine is free to curl up in her bed and sleep all day if she chooses or walk around in her pyjamas and not worry about bumping into Peter Philips
Agreed. Christmas at her parents where we most likely saw the mot strenuous part of her day sounds much more relaxing than 3 days at any in-laws, let alone Royal ones. If she wants to get up and go lie down or just lounge around,no worries. At sandringham, there is a dress code and a timetable. Just the stress of wanting to attend or making choices of what to attend and apologies for this thing you do and don't attend. And william still be obligated to attend) and leaving Kate alone. With a house of 20+ family in attendance all giving their well intentioned advice and anecdotes about their pregnancies. Sometimes you just want to curl up and have your mom take care of you.

Unlike some posters, I don't see this as a break in tradition...I expect the Cambridges to be back at sandringham next year and for years to come.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Majesty

The Cambridges are a traditional but yet modern couple. They decided to do something a little different this year and spent Christmas with the Middletons. The Queen and members of the royal family found nothing wrong with it. They will be back at Sandringham anyway and spend some time with the family.

Now, Camilla will split and join the Parker Bowleses and then her and Charles will probably go up to Birkhall or Highgrove. The Queen will be inviting guest to Sandringham and everybody will be doing their own thing.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Thank you for posting,I watched this (on my own earlier today) ,it was a lovely Christmas speech by Her Majesty,bringing back so many wonderful memories of a very memorable year!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I seriously believe it is not wise to spend the Christmas with the Middletons. Christmas at Sandringham gives a wonderful image of the Royal Family being together religiously, which is the ultimate projection a family can get. Also, it is a tradition, old or new, and it has to be followed. No one including Diana or Sophie made fuss about this. Once they are part of this family, they should be here. Imagine what if every royal spouse wants to take her husband and kids to her parents' home for Christmas..The Linleys, The Chattos, The Wessexes, everyone could have gone to their in-laws homes, but they remained devoted to the Queen and Sandringham.
Christmas at Sandringham is the informal, religious equivalent of Trooping the Colour/Remembrance. Many people look forward to seeing the whole family there. I am very disappointed by Will and Kate doing so.
But since the Queen already knows everything in advance, she must have approved. But still I hope this is the last time they spend Christmas awat from their family.I really dont buy this 'one year here one year there theory.
I honestly believe that HM, the DoE, and PoW would like Catherine to be as comfortable as possible. Considering that Christmas at Sandringham is a more formal affair, the senior royals were likely open to the suggestion that she spend a quieter Christmas at Buckleberry. The photos from today show a rather tired looking lady.

Regarding the reactions of other royal in-laws apparently Diana also wished that she could take her family to Althrop for Christmas but was unable to do so. If the senior British royals have come to the conclusion that permitting members of the BRF time with their own family to be fine then I'm all right with that.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Aristocracy

^^^
I don't know if it's the Queen, th DoE and Charles coming to a different opinion than it was during Diana's times. It is only Kate spending Christmas with her family, all the other spouses - from Camilla to Sophie to Tim to Autumn and Mike - are with the Royal Family, which is there precisely because it perpetuates certain traditions of which William, as future king, should be particularly attentive. Beatrice and Eugenie are also with the Royal Family every year, and never spend Christmas days with their mother.
Also, Kate was feeling well enough to go to church, which I take as a sign of relatively good health. She might be more confortable staying with her family than with the royal family, but the whole point of being royal is dedication to the public work, isn't it?
I'm with the ones who think the Cambridges should have come to Sandrigham.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Nobility

The Middleton could be very comfortable with Christmas thru Boxing Day at York Cottage in the future, and I think it will be easier on everyone.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post

Agreed.
Just to mention, mainly to DOE, There have been several articles and books regarding information about the royal Christmas, you can pretty much know exactly what happens.
The Middletons should be treated the same as every other royal in laws, IMO.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

There are 3 galleries at Zimbio, so more than last year, but less pics of Kate that's for sure, but at least they are amazing pics of Countess Wessex and royal family:
1. The Royal Family Attend Christmas Day Service At Sandringham Thumbnails - Pictures - Zimbio
2. Royal Family Sandringham Christmas 2012 Thumbnails - Pictures - Zimbio
3. Royal Family Sandringham Christmas 2012 Thumbnails - Pictures - Zimbio
Lot's of lovely images of Queen.

As for why Sophie this year walked? I'm sure Queen wanted her to represent family, as they were short of Kate, William and Harry. And at least we got to see her, so I am happy.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There have been several articles and books regarding information about the royal Christmas, you can pretty much know exactly what happens. Doesn't everyone do exactly the same thing on Christmas Day? Minus the opening presents for the royals.
The Middletons should be treated the same as every other royal in laws.
I'm with you.
Also, say, Peter or Zara's absence from Sandringham would be much less conspicuous, from an official point of view, than William's, because he got the blessing and/or the curse of being heir to the heir: he is the person on whom the BRF ultimately relies, and he should make an effort to be there as much as, if not possibly more than, his cousins. Kate attended church service with her family after all, which leads me to believe she would have been well enough to attend it with the RoyalFamily: she could always have gone with the Queen by car instead of Beatrice and Eugenie as a precautionary measure...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Are those the same books that would quote how many times an heir presumptive has missed a royal Family Christmas to be with his pregnant wife at his in-laws? "Times they are a chang'n.". Books on the Royal Family are a snapshot of the moment.

Tags
christmas