British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, that practice only applies to the Queen's Christmas celebration at Sandringham. What goes on with other royals' exchanges among their own family is another practice indeed.;)

Except Catherine and William attended the family Christmas at Sandringham and William is part of his own family (obviously). So the no expensive presents just silly ones doesn't exist, not when you apparently by your wife a pair of almost two grand earrings.

Or perhaps they weren't a Christmas present at all.

Anything is possible, of course, and just because the earrings made an appearance on Christmas doesn't mean they were a gift for that occasion. But, on the other hand, William or someone else such as Charles and Camilla could have given these or anything else to Kate, for that matter, within their own private gathering or celebration. I'm sure exchanges of gifts don't just only occur at Sandringham with the Queen, aunts, uncles and cousins - the extended family - and this is the occasion for inexpensive gifts. What they exchange with each other privately is another matter and they decide the value of what they want to give.

Last edited:
Am I wrong to be expecting a link to the Queen's Christmas address? I suppose I can google it, but I'll probably end up with years past and have to wade through them.

Thank you so much, Baroness. Makes me very emotional to hear her.

You're more than welcome. The speech is especially poignant when she speaks about family, given the current situation with Philip.

Yes, it is very heartfelt and poignant. We sat here thinking that she is aware of Time and Mortality, and, also, of her ability to affect people deeply. She's not, of course, a very emotional or dramatic woman, but she is an amazing Queen - a woman who leads and motivates through her own person. Her appeal to the central value of Christianity (forgiveness) cannot be stated enough. It's very clear that it's a comfort to people to have a visit from a royal family member after a disaster, and it's wonderful that they've developed the inner resources to do that kind of work.

Really, Prince Charles having to visit/comfort the Welsh miners must have been quite difficult. Prince Philip does look a bit frail in some of the footage.

It was a marvelous speech.

Except Catherine and William attended the family Christmas at Sandringham and William is part of his own family (obviously). So the no expensive presents just silly ones doesn't exist, not when you apparently by your wife a pair of almost two grand earrings.

The earings could have been in her stocking. They get stocking Christmas morning. Besides, a private gift from husband to wife would not be shocking in the least.

The 'silly' present is what you give at the public giving on Christmas Eve. There is no rule that a couple can't give each other expensive gifts in private.

It is a bit like a lot of families I know that are quite large where rather than buying 20 or more small gifts for the extended members of the family - which results in 20 fairly useless things - each person is given one person to buy for to a maximum amount - you still spend the same amount but you buy a good quality gift e.g. my family know that I will be moving into my new home shortly before Christmas next year and that I will want to put new kitchen appliances in my new kitchen so my present this year was a picture of a new microwave - to be purchased when I move in. No doubt I will get something similar next year.

Of course each husband/wife children combination gives each other presents separately to the large gathering around the tree after church on Christmas Day.

I am sure that William gave Kate an expensive present for Christmas, just as I am sure she gave an expensive present to William but they would also have both given the Queen etc the 'silly' present on the tables on Christmas Eve.

These links are not working for me. Drats :bang:.

As for the earrings, I agree with those who said that they were a private gift from either William or someone else (and not necessarily a Christmas gift either). I see no issues with it.

Thank to Baroness and ghost_night for the video links. Her Majesty's speech was ver poignant given her own situation with her husband at the moment, and because it touched on something that is important to her. When we're passionate about something, we tend to express ourselves in a more sentimental way that brings the said passion across to others. This woman has very strong values, which include realizing and recognizing the importance of family, especially during the holiday season.

On tumblr a lot of people think this video at 3:10 shows that Kate and Princess Eugenie don't get a long. I don't know, I think it's all kind of ridiculous.

It appears that HM looks back to get the Princesses to help her with the flowers, then William steps aside to help usher them through to the front; Eugenie was followed by Beatrice. Kate was receiving instructions from the man at left (security?) to go across the way to greet other people. She does turn to look as Eugenie passes, but that's hardly a condemnation. People will read into it what they will, I guess!

On tumblr a lot of people think this video at 3:10 shows that Kate and Princess Eugenie don't get a long. I don't know, I think it's all kind of ridiculous.

The person who makes these videos seems very strange to me... and very much like she's reading into things that aren't there. I don't get it.

The person who makes these videos seems very strange to me... and very much like she's reading into things that aren't there. I don't get it.

I often think that the people who make videos like this are jealous because of the attention Kate receives. They are often fans of other royal ladies who don't get anything like the sort of attention that Kate does. I think perhaps some Diana fans are disappointed that the British people have taken to Kate in the way that they have, believing that Diana was the only woman who was able to do so. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I look forward to seeing pictures of HM and Prince Philip heading to church on Sunday, all being well.

I saw nothing of the sort between Eugenie and Catherine...perhaps I was oblivious. Eugenie was just moving through the throng to resume her usual position of "lady-in-waiting" to the Queen on Christmas Day to gather her flowers.

There's a lovely video on GettyImages of Eugenie doing this, along with Lady Louise and Beatrice. There is also a moment where Zara helps out too. Royal grand-daugthers getting involved. :D Christmas Flower Gathering - GettyImages

Thank you for the video :flowers:. The children were so well-behaved while waiting, and there were so many adults/helpers to make the process easier. Eugenie and Beatrice didn't even have all that much time to interact with Catherine, because they were helping their 'Granny' gather all the flowers and whatnot. Don't know where anyone gets the assumption that someone doesn't get along with someone else after watching a clip that has no dialogue or anything. Good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eugenie was just moving through the throng to resume her usual position!? to the Queen on Christmas Day to gather her flowers:)

I saw a video of Eugenie doing this, along with Lady Louise and Beatrice. Royal grand-daugthers getting involved. Christmas Flower Gathering, how beautiful:)

Thank you for the extended video. I liked the involvement of the younger royals helping the Queen deal with the flowers. They came to give her their assistance which showed the respect and good manners due not just for her position, but for an older person requiring some helping hands as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Molly for the video :flowers:
BEAUTIFUL all granddaughters helping to Granny :)
How sweet for seeing Lady Louise helping along her bigger cousins :)

This site has some pictures of Catherine and Prince Harry watching William play football on Christmas Eve. The pictures are kind of blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom