The Protocol Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Well-spotted!
Deference can be shown in different ways and even though the manner of it may have to be modified to suit the (physical) situation, it is done.
It's the little things like this that continue to demonstrate the reigning Monarch or Sovereign occupies a quite special and unique position. :)

Only in England....... Doubt whether you would find a Dutch chauffeur to do this for our Royals.

Wbenson,

Thank you for your reply about a possible reason the Queen would not attend the wedding. The Royal Family being at Balmoral brings to mind the unfortunate death of Diana. Wasn't the fact the Queen and others were at Balmoral on vacation given as an explanation for not returning to London because Diana was no longer a member of the Royal Family?

I'm not sure that the chauffeur bowed while remaining seated. Looked to me like he was looking down for a moment. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think that it was a propery head-bob, because it happened just as the Queen stepped out of the car.:flowers:

I'm not sure that the chauffeur bowed while remaining seated. Looked to me like he was looking down for a moment. But maybe I'm wrong.

The main reason I think it was a bow is because he removed his hat first and it looks like he's watching for the Queen in the mirror. I had to watch a few times to make sure, though.

@BeatrixFan who asked "Have you met Royalty? What did you do?"

Back around 1990 (I'd have to dig up the invitation), I was presented to His Magesty, Carl Gustav XVI of Sweden here in Atlanta. I got on the list as I was a private banker for one of the big Swiss banks.

I had a lovely gown, which I donated to a charity for American girls who can't afford prom dresses.

It took forever to get through the receiving line and when it was my turn, HM took my hand and I JUST ABOUT FAINTED! LOL

I hardly remember anything about it, but thought he was handsome. His Queen was not with him.

Although I've not met additional Royals, I used to see Charles driving around when I lived in London.

On another note, the calling of "Cousin" is used in many families -- especially when everyone is named after everyone else. I was named after a living relative, so to distinguish which Pamela was being mentioned, I was known as "Cousin Pam".

Last edited:
BBC staff receive training in preparation for the Queen's death | Mail Online

BBC staff are being trained on the correct way to report the Queen's death in a bid to avoid another embarrassing gaffe.

The Corporation was heavily criticised in the wake of the death of the Queen Mother after veteran Peter Sissons went on air in a grey suit and burgundy tie.

BBC staff told to wear black tie when Queen dies - mirror.co.uk

BBC newsreaders have been given training on the correct clothing to wear if the Queen dies to avoid an on-air blunder.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Newsreaders coached for Queen's death

BBC presenters are being trained how to announce the Queen’s death to avoid gaffes.

Last edited:
I guess the news organizations have to prepare for the inevitable

I guess the news organizations have to prepare for the inevitable

Yes and hopefully they get everything right this time. I suspect there have also been, or will be , rehearsals for the military ceremonial portion of the state funeral. The QM took quite an interest in arrangements for her own funeral and reviewed plans several times. I seem to recall reading that she did not like the candle holders used by the Abbey so she sent over some of her own.

i know in The Royal Protocol every thing have timing right ? like everything have specific time ?

thanks you

Yes and hopefully they get everything right this time. I suspect there have also been, or will be , rehearsals for the military ceremonial portion of the state funeral. The QM took quite an interest in arrangements for her own funeral and reviewed plans several times. I seem to recall reading that she did not like the candle holders used by the Abbey so she sent over some of her own.

Yes, as usual, you are spot-on NGalitzine. Such reheasals, or parts of them, have, over the years, taken place in Central London, usually around 3.00am in the morning. I even think I came across one: see what you think; this is what happened:- Some years ago [actually, quite some years ago, because it before I went up to Oxford] I was returning from a 'jolly time' at Annabel's. It was start of April, and not quite light. My boyfriend had parked in Waterloo Place, just near Carlton House Terrace. We actually found a cab to take us back to where he had parked. Whilst he was paying the cab driver, I noticed the sound of hoofs apparently coming from The Mall. [Very near by]. Instead of getting into his car, we walked the few yards to the top of the steps and saw the Household Cavalry and also Footguards all marching, rather slowly. And a gun carriage. There were quite a few police about, although, for Central London, this was not that usual. Being me, I aked one of the Police Officers what was going on, and he simply replied 'A rehearsal'. Again, 'being me', I asked what the rehearsal was for, and the police officer said to me, 'Oh, Trooping the Colour or something(!)' - [note the 'vagueness', forum members, from a police officer actually INVOLVED!!] - 'and now, you, young lady, had better be going off to bed' [I was in my party frock]. This was 'good enough' for me, but my boyfriend, who was hoping to follow in the footsteps of his elder brother and attend Sandhurst in due course, and took an interest in all things military, thought it all a bit odd. Whilst he knew [which I did not, at that point] that rehearsals for the Birthday Parade did sometimes take place very early in the morning, that usually did not happen until late May. The gun carriage particularly seemed 'out of place/ position' as well to him, but we didn't really think anything more about it. However, a few years later, I actually found out that State Funerals were periodically rehearsed in just that way. Whilst the Queen was still in late middle age when we had come across the 'rehearsal', the Queen Mother was certainly 'getting on' a bit, [although in fact she did live another 25 years or so after that night].

And yes, Burzg, so far as the BRF is concerned, everything to do with Royal Life is timed to the exact minute, particularly visits and parades and suchlike. If you ever watch Trooping the Colour, notice how the clock at Horse Guards always chimes at the precise moment the ceremony commences etc. The arrival of the everybody - the Military, the BRF who are watching the ceremony and HM and Prince Philip who are participating - is all perfectly worked out.

Hope this is interesting,

Alex

Last edited:
Yes Alex that does sound like a rehearsal for the QM's state funeral. As I said she was known to take quite an interest in the plans and apparently even viewed one of the rehearsals. When someone apparently expressed surprise that such rehearsals would take place she found it quite amusing. I am sure the Queen is aware of such plans for her own state funeral though I doubt she, being a more pragmatic sort of person, would view it with the same amusement as her mother did.
I believe when one marries into the BRF one of the first things you are asked about is your funeral wishes. They don't leave anything to chance.

Nicholas

Thank you for that Nicholas. My mother actually told me that the Queen Mother was amused by her funeral plans, but I did not know she had actually viewed one of the rehearsals. That does make perfect sense, though. Clarence House overlooks the Mall, and so I assume it would have been easy enough for her to cast her eye over things without leaving home!

I am not an overly sentimental person, but I have to say that I really do miss the Queen Mother. Before they redeveloped Royal Ascot, we always used to like coming across her on the way to and from the Paddock. She always had a smile for everyone, and as she got older and transferred to a golf cart [painted in her racing colours!] she used to wave as well as she was chauffeured around.

I've been raised to respect royalty and always curtsey, even to more "minor" royals. I've been lucky enough to meet TRH Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and curtseyed to both of them, addressing them as "Your Royal Highness" followed by "Ma'am". The only other royal I've met is HRH Prince Edward, and again I curtseyed and called him "Your Royal Highness" followed by "Sir". I know it's cool to shake hands and use first names (eg the screaming crowds on TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Canada tour shouting "Will, Kate, we love you!") and as a young person I know it's unusual for someone my age to observe protocol so strictly, but I believe we have tradition for a reason, and manners cost nothing. It's not as oddly formal as it sounds, anyway. :)

a little question, for the jubille will be some party or gale where the royal ladies have to used tiaras? I cant wair for see beatrice, eugenie and catherine with tiaras!

corazon said:
a little question, for the jubille will be some party or gale where the royal ladies have to used tiaras? I cant wair for see beatrice, eugenie and catherine with tiaras!

Nope. Not one that has been announced.

Nope. Not one that has been announced.

Sadly I think the era of tiaras and bling are slowly fading into the sunset. With the world's economy being as it is, unless there is a drastic upswing, I even expect state dinners with all the pomp and finery to decline.

It didn't surprise me one bit that there wasn't a white tie affair for the Diamond Jubilee this year.

Osipi said:
Sadly I think the era of tiaras and bling are slowly fading into the sunset. With the world's economy being as it is, unless there is a drastic upswing, I even expect state dinners with all the pomp and finery to decline.

It didn't surprise me one bit that there wasn't a white tie affair for the Diamond Jubilee this year.

There wasn't one for the Golden Jubilee I believe. It's not just to do with the economy, the British just don't do tiara affairs. We've seen that royals on the continent get the tiaras out on any occasion they can, weddings, new year, continuous state visits. Don't forget we haven't had any this year.

It is rather sad that the era of tiaras and events have decloned. There is always something so awe inspiring and magical when we get to see all the beautiful and elegant attire with crowns twinkling. It would be sad if it goes away all together. Life will never be the same again. On another note, Sophie looked very pretty. The dress she wore was a great color and rather sexy I thought, for her anyway.

I do not believe it is over the BRF understand that eventhough this is a joyous moment it is not the time to flaunt your wealth during a bad economy.

I think it is a big shame that British royals seem to be shy when it comes to wearing tiaras. I mean they are not buying their tiaras for every single event, they are gathering dust in the vaults!! A new outfit costs a lot more than wearing a tiara! How much does one evening gown cost? 500$ 1000$ 5000$ 10000$ or more? Tiaras need to be cleaned or fixed maybe once a year, how much can that cost?
So, I say buy fewer evening gowns and use more jewellery!

What is the definition of a tiara worthy dinner? On British soil, must it be a state dinner? What about on foregin trips is it a state visit only? does it only apply to the monarch and the heir or other members of the royal family as well. perhaps if they are travelling on behalf of the monarch?

I'm not familiar with Camilla or Sophie on any of their tours. I know Sophie has at various weddings when representing the Queen.

Thinking back.... Diana wore tiaras often on travels with Charles (heck it was the 80s glam and glitz were in!) ...i know the commonwealth coutiries and I think at one dinner in the US (on the Wash DC visit... there was the dinner at the white house (the travolta dance...no tiara) - but I think there was a british embassy dinner, where she wore a tiara).

Did Sophie have any occaison on their commonwealth tour in February?

also - do we know what state dinners are happening this year - usually there are 2/yr - has that changed with the Olympics and Jubilee?

I'm sorry to tell you that there will be no party or gala event where the royal ladies will wear tiaras. Tiaras are only worn at State visits (at home and abroad) where a state banquet is held. As these events are not usually attended by Beatice, Eugenie (or Catherine yet), the only time we are likely to see them where a tiara is at their weddings and I imagine at the next coronation.

Royal visits are becoming more casual as well. Diana and Fergie both wore tiaras during visits to Canada. I believe Sofie did as well on an early visit. There were no tiara events for the recent tours by either Charles and Camilla or William and Catherine.

also - do we know what state dinners are happening this year - usually there are 2/yr - has that changed with the Olympics and Jubilee?

Unless they occur after the Jubilee and Olympics, of which none have been scheduled, there won't be any state dinners or visits this year. This is a "home" year for HM and her children/grandchildren are visiting her countries abroad.

There were no tiara events for the recent tours by either Charles and Camilla or William and Catherine.

There wouldn't be one for William and Catherine, perhaps not even Charles and Camilla as it wouldn't be a state visit just a visit.

I'm not familiar with Camilla or Sophie on any of their tours. I know Sophie has at various weddings when representing the Queen.

I think it is because the European Royal Houses, particularly those in Scandinavia, tend to have evening wear as the dress code for their weddings (I don't know if this is the proper term) which involves tiaras for ladies at such an occasion.

I have never heard of tiaras being worn at British or Spanish royal weddings.

Back
Top Bottom