The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
The 'cousin' part is a bit unusual, but I guess it's similar to 'aunt.'
I haven't met that usage before. We Aussies seem to have lost it somewhere along the way on our passage from England. I think it's a really great idea. I have always baulked a bit at calling a cousin from a different generation by their first name when given leave to do so when I got older rather than calling them "Aunt", which they weren't, but there was no alternative form of address in our family. Addressing them as Cousin (First Name) is perfect.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it is common practise here in the UK. My cousins children and their children also call me cousin (1st name).

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Gentry

Princess Anne curtseying to the former king of Greece

Is it true that Princess Anne, at one time, wouldn't curtsey to the former king of Greece?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia View Post
Is it true that Princess Anne, at one time, wouldn't curtsey to the former king of Greece?
I don't know the answer to that but I do wonder why she should have been expected to curtsey since he was no longer a King?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Aristocracy

I saw some picture where royals were courtseying to ex-kings.

e.g. one of the Infanta s to ex-king Simeon

In private royal circles ex-kings are treated as real kings.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Commoner

As far as the Royals are concerned Constantine II still has the rank of King.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Invitation to marriages

I hope this is the right thread...
In this article about the forthcoming wedding of Lord Frederick Windsor, it is said that "The Queen [...] has not been invited to the wedding in accordance with Royal protocol".
Why the Royal Protocol forbid the invitation of the Queen? If I remember correctly, she attended several other weddings, for example the one of Edward van Cutsem and Lady Tamara Grosvenor, but why can't she attend the wedding of her cousin?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if it is because the Queen has precedence at any event she attends? Obviously, close family members (such as the Queen's children and grandchildren) would expect, and receive, her attendance at their weddings but perhaps in this instance the Queen will not attend so all the attention will be focused on the bride and groom.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

I believe (though I'm not sure) it's because the court is at Balmoral, and it would be rude to ask the Queen to trek all the way back down to London.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I found this interesting. Starting at 0:20, the Queen's chauffeur removes his hat and bows, even though he stays seated in the driver's seat.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Well-spotted!
Deference can be shown in different ways and even though the manner of it may have to be modified to suit the (physical) situation, it is done.
It's the little things like this that continue to demonstrate the reigning Monarch or Sovereign occupies a quite special and unique position.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Only in England....... Doubt whether you would find a Dutch chauffeur to do this for our Royals.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Wbenson,

Thank you for your reply about a possible reason the Queen would not attend the wedding. The Royal Family being at Balmoral brings to mind the unfortunate death of Diana. Wasn't the fact the Queen and others were at Balmoral on vacation given as an explanation for not returning to London because Diana was no longer a member of the Royal Family?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm not sure that the chauffeur bowed while remaining seated. Looked to me like he was looking down for a moment. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it was a propery head-bob, because it happened just as the Queen stepped out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I'm not sure that the chauffeur bowed while remaining seated. Looked to me like he was looking down for a moment. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The main reason I think it was a bow is because he removed his hat first and it looks like he's watching for the Queen in the mirror. I had to watch a few times to make sure, though.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Definitely a bow of the head as a mark of respect
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

@BeatrixFan who asked "Have you met Royalty? What did you do?"

Back around 1990 (I'd have to dig up the invitation), I was presented to His Magesty, Carl Gustav XVI of Sweden here in Atlanta. I got on the list as I was a private banker for one of the big Swiss banks.

I had a lovely gown, which I donated to a charity for American girls who can't afford prom dresses.

It took forever to get through the receiving line and when it was my turn, HM took my hand and I JUST ABOUT FAINTED! LOL

I hardly remember anything about it, but thought he was handsome. His Queen was not with him.

Although I've not met additional Royals, I used to see Charles driving around when I lived in London.

On another note, the calling of "Cousin" is used in many families -- especially when everyone is named after everyone else. I was named after a living relative, so to distinguish which Pamela was being mentioned, I was known as "Cousin Pam".
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

BBC staff receive training in preparation for the Queen's death | Mail Online

BBC staff are being trained on the correct way to report the Queen's death in a bid to avoid another embarrassing gaffe.

The Corporation was heavily criticised in the wake of the death of the Queen Mother after veteran Peter Sissons went on air in a grey suit and burgundy tie.

BBC staff told to wear black tie when Queen dies - mirror.co.uk

BBC newsreaders have been given training on the correct clothing to wear if the Queen dies to avoid an on-air blunder.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Newsreaders coached for Queen's death

BBC presenters are being trained how to announce the Queen’s death to avoid gaffes.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Serene Highness

I guess the news organizations have to prepare for the inevitable

Tags
protocol, relationships