The National Anthem

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoyed the recent critique of national anthems in the comic strip "Get Fuzzy."

If you haven't seen it, the dog, Satchell, says "I found the words to England's national anthem, to be honest, its benevolence is quite ... well... specific."

Satchell continues reading the anthem: "God save our gracious queen, Long live our noble queen, God save the queen... um... God save the queen... Blah, blah, blah. God save the queen... Choicest gifts in store On her be pleased to pour... Yadda, yadda, yadds, God save the queen."

Satchell again: "Not much in there for Joe Sixpint, really. At least it says she's gracious."

Bucky Cat replies: "Nope. I think she's Scottish."

Of course, Bucky's critique of the French national anthem is great. He says France is the country you least want to invade (the hallmark of a truly great national anthem) because its national anthem is the most bloodthirsty.

I enjoyed the recent critique of national anthems in the comic strip "Get Fuzzy."

If you haven't seen it, the dog, Satchell, says "I found the words to England's national anthem, to be honest, its benevolence is quite ... well... specific."

Satchell continues reading the anthem: "God save our gracious queen, Long live our noble queen, God save the queen... um... God save the queen... Blah, blah, blah. God save the queen... Choicest gifts in store On her be pleased to pour... Yadda, yadda, yadds, God save the queen."

Satchell again: "Not much in there for Joe Sixpint, really. At least it says she's gracious."

Bucky Cat replies: "Nope. I think she's Scottish."

Of course, Bucky's critique of the French national anthem is great. He says France is the country you least want to invade (the hallmark of a truly great national anthem) because its national anthem is the most bloodthirsty.

This sounds most amusing Iowabelle.

To everyone: How often do we sing the National Anthem (for those of us who live here in the UK)?

I'm quite invloved in BB and attend quite a few Royal events so I sing it at least once a month at official type things> However is this much more than everyone else?

When and where do you hear and sing the National Anthem?

And for all our commonwealth members- do you ever hear God Save The Queen played at official functions or is it always your own National Anthem?

Thanks!!!!!

Since the Prussian king/German emperor and the Norwegian king used/is using the anthem as their personal tune, I was wondering where the melody comes from? Does anybody know?

The Emperor's hymn:

Text:

1. Heil dir im Siegerkranz, Herrscher des Vaterlands! Heil, Kaiser, dir! I: Fühl in des Thrones Glanz Die hohe Wonne ganz, Liebling des Volks zu sein! Heil Kaiser, dir! :I

2. Nicht Roß, nicht Reisige Sichern die steile Höh', Wo Fürsten steh'n: I:Liebe des Vaterlands, Liebe des freien Manns Gründen den Herrscherthron Wie Fels im Meer.:I

3. Heilige Flamme, glüh', Glüh' und erlösche nie Fürs Vaterland! I:Wir alle stehen dann Mutig für einen Mann Kämpfen und bluten gern Für Thron und Reich!:I

4. Handel und Wissenschaft Heben mit Mut und Kraft Ihr Haupt empor! I:Krieger- und Heldentat Finden ihr Lorbeerblatt Treu aufgehoben dort, An deinem Thron!:I

5. Dauernder stets zu blüh'n Weh' unsre Flagge kühn Auf hoher See! I:Wie so stolz und hehr Wirft über Land und Meer Weithin der deutsche Aar Flammenden Blick.:I

6. Sei, Kaiser Wilhelm, hier Lang' deines Volkes Zier, Der Menschheit Stolz! I:Fühl' in des Thrones Glanz, Die hohe Wonne ganz, Liebling des Volks zu sein! Heil, Kaiser, dir!:I

------
The Norwegian version:

YouTube - Norwegian Royal Anthem

Since the Prussian king/German emperor and the Norwegian king used/is using the anthem as their personal tune, I was wondering where the melody comes from? Does anybody know?

The Tune was first performed at the Theatre Royal on Dury Lane in c. 1745. It was originally called "God Save our Lord the King" it was very popular and was soon sung every time the King appeared in public

Other countries including Norway and several German states adapted the tune to fit their words to form a Royal Anthem.

The tune is also used in the USA for "My country tis of thee".

It is also the Tune for "Up on the young Rhine" the National Anthem of Liechtenstein

Last edited:
A new 'song for England' which could be used to replace the National Anthem has been criticised as being 'banal'

BBC's 'banal' new national anthem for England gets a panning | Mail Online

How dreadful, I don't like it one bit- I think God Save The Queen has much more meaning and if it is to be replaced by HM Government then The Queen must be retained as The Royal Anthem and in that case I suspect most people would contine to use it as the national anthem anyway!

The Emperor's hymn:
Many scholars believe it was written by Henry Purcell, but I don't think most people really know.
The origin of both the words and the music is obscure. The many candidates for authorship include John Bull (c. 1562–1628), Thomas Ravenscroft (c. 1583–c. 1633), Henry Purcell (c. 1639–95), and Henry Carey (c. 1687–1743). The earliest copy of the words appeared in Gentleman’s Magazine in 1745; the tune appeared about the same time in an anthology, Thesaurus Musicus—in both instances without attribution.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/236663/God-Save-the-Queen

Thanks RP, curious that in WWI the troops might vhave sung the same anthem (though the Prussians did have a national one too of course)!

-
Now do Wales and Scotland have an anthem, which might have made some English to start for themselves too?

Thanks RP, curious that in WWI the troops might vhave sung the same anthem (though the Prussians did have a national one too of course)!

-
Now do Wales and Scotland have an anthem, which might have made some English to start for themselves too?

I know it is strange, but Ithink it was more a Royal Anthem so perhaps they used the National one to ensure the difference.

The UK all use GSTQ, however for sporting events etc. Scotland use "O Flower of Scotland" and Wales "Land of My Fathers". However for state, official, most social and Church occasion God Save The Queen is palyed and certainly at any Royal events in Scotland or Wales it is GSTQ

The Scottish Anthem is Scotland the Brave.

'True, on youtube they have some clips called 'preussenlied/ national anthem of prussia, but they use the same melody as the heil-dir-im-siegerkranz/god save the king: YouTube - NATIONAL ANTHEM OF KINGDOM OF PRUSSIA

However it seems they copied the wrong meoldy, this is the real preussenlied:

Das Preussenlied [V2] - LiveVideo.com

---
Anyway, the tune is a very popular one at least :). Also used for a song from Liechtenstein: Oben am junge Rheine and Switzerland: Rufst du mein Vaterland, I believe.

I'm almost certain O Flower of Scotland is used as well and mayby even more often as Scotland the Brave
Flower of Scotland is used at sporting fixtures, Scotland the Brave is still the official Scottish Anthem, although there have been talks to try to alter it.:flowers: If asked to vote on it, I don't know which I would choose.

Flower of Scotland is used at sporting fixtures, Scotland the Brave is still the official Scottish Anthem, although there have been talks to try to alter it.:flowers: If asked to vote on it, I don't know which I would choose.

If I had to vote I think I'd go for Scotland The Brave, a much catchier tune, but there a so many better Scottish songs which I could think of. Still I do like GSTQ and always like it at more official functions!

i think it would be better if at sporting occassion England used either Land of Hope and Glory (or Jersualem) but save God Save the Queen for official/state occasions or when all 4 countries of the UK come together as one ie Olympics

At the commonwealth games england use land of hope and glory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpAuuc8550

The atmosphere at any Scottish game when they sing Flower of Scotland is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I

Again there is nothing like the Welsh singing their national anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRRY8eDMSY

You wouldnt get the same atmopshere and emotion if you used God save the Queen for these sporting occasions

Singing of God save the Queen at Twickenham 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_bvj8ycG4&feature=related

Last edited:
Al Murray in his Pub landlord show does a piece about how great God save the Queen is compared to other national anthems - you can find it on you tube under Al Murray national anthems as i wont post it directly here because it could be taken as quite offensive and rude to other nations (and i would probably get banned so if you want to hear it look it up) - im not a fan of Al Murray as i dont find him that funny

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom