The National Anthem

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an interesting arrangement. It includes a verse specific to Canada.

Our loved Dominion bless
With peace and happiness
From shore to shore;
And let our Empire be
United, loyal, free,
True to herself and Thee
God save the queen.

Followed by the splendid O Canada.

Last edited:
This is an interesting arrangement. It includes a verse specific to Canada.

Our loved Dominion bless
With peace and happiness
From shore to shore;
And let our Empire be
United, loyal, free,
True to herself and Thee
God save the queen.

Followed by the splendid O Canada.

Lovely arrangement and beautiful choral singing in both God Save the Queen and O Canada. ?

It appears to me that the third verse of the National Anthem could vary. But in most cases, only the 1st verse (Sporting events) or sometimes 1st and 2nd verses are sung (Last night of the Proms or other official events).

Thank you Durham for sharing. :flowers:

This is Benjamin Britten's 1962 arrangement . I have read that it is HM's favourite version but I can't find the source for that. It's certainly mine. Genuinely moving.

It is definitely very moving when I first heard it. It would not surprise me at all if Britten's 1962 arrangement is HM's favourite version.

God Save the Queen at 2020's Last Night of the Prom with Benjamin Britten's 1962 arrangement. Due to COVID-19 restriction, the reduced orchestra of 65 rather than 300 performed. The singers were in the stalls and gallery area of the Royal Albert Hall. There were no audience member.

Now that was a very poignant rendition of God Save The Queen. It gave me goosebumps! [emoji443]

God Save the King sung by Dame Clara Butt, who was an English Contralto (lowest vocal range in the female voice type, rarest amongst Soprano and Mezzo-soprano). It was recorded in 1930. She sung two verses solo, before repeating the first verse with a male choir/vocal ensemble.

Wikipedia page for Dame Clara Butt:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Butt

Her husband is Kennerley Rumford, who was a baritone. Her three sisters were also singers.

I see no one's posted this years traditional jamboree at the proms so the honour's mine:)

Still a genuinely moving rendition. And most of us really mean it! A lot!!

I see no one's posted this years traditional jamboree at the proms so the honour's mine:)

The National Anthem of the UK is so memorable and striking that even the United States had to swipe the music and set new lyrics to it in "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee" (also known as "America"). ?

https://www.lyricsondemand.com/misc...oticsongslyrics/mycountrytisoftheelyrics.html

Gotta love it! Have to say though that my very favorite national anthem is "Oh Canada" though and I'm in no way Canadian. Came close though living across the river from Canada in Detroit though. :D

I posted a rendition of O Canada up thread if you've not come across it.:flowers:

I agree O Canada is a great anthem!

I love 'My Country Tis of Thee'. We'd have to steal it if we became a republic I think.:lol:

I remember it being sung by Aretha Franklin at President Obama's first inauguration. Real hair on the back of your neck stuff.

Beautiful and I actually forgot about Last Night of the Proms this year.

Thank you, I only remembered it was on when I stumbled across a review and I didn't have time to go and watch it.

I posted a rendition of O Canada up thread if you've not come across it.:flowers:

I agree O Canada is a great anthem!

I love 'My Country Tis of Thee'. We'd have to steal it if we became a republic I think.:lol:

I remember it being sung by Aretha Franklin at President Obama's first inauguration. Real hair on the back of your neck stuff.

As a dedicated hockey fan coming from Hockeytown, USA (Detroit... home of the Detroit Red Wings), I've had many, many opportunities to stand up and *sing* the Canadian national anthem. Of course... if people could actually hear me among the crowd, I'd probably clear that stadium out right quick.

There are just some anthems that really strike you dead center in the middle of the heart and that old familiar lump in the throat rises and you "feel" the anthem in your soul. That's what gives them real meaning. At least to me.

One version of the US National Anthem "The Star Spangled Banner" that was like nails screeching on a blackboard though was Jimi Hendrix's version of it performed at Woodstock in 1969. I refuse to listen to it ever again. But that's just me and my taste.

I don't think the US is the only country to borrow the music. Last I checked, Norway has it as the royal anthem (and I'd be really surprised if other places didn't use it for their own purposes).

"O, Canada" fans should be aware, the lyrics have been updated. It's now "true patriot love/in all of us command". :canflag: (Hardcore O Canada fans, without even checking, I'm gonna say the non-inclusive French lyrics are still the same.)

"God save" is my favourite anthem, not just because I'm British, but because it's so short.

At sporting events the winners don't have to stand under tv scrutiny for ages, either smiling or crying - just hop onto podium and hop off again!

Laura Wright sung God Save The King at the cricket's third test match between England and South Africa at The Oval. This was the first time at sporting event where God Save The King has been sung since 1952.

England cricket team sing first official 'God Save The King' at a sporting event
England's third Test against South Africa became the first sporting occasion where 'God Save The King' was sung since 1952, on Saturday morning, as you can see in the video below.
https://www.sportbible.com/cricket/...ing-first-official-god-save-the-king-20220910

There was the one minute silence before the two National Anthems were sung (both beautifully done by Laura Wright). God Save The King started at 1:52

It was a very moving moment and to hear that crowd - at a ground that until The Queen died was 'owned' by Charles and at that moment moved to the 'ownership' of William - singing so beautifully and the English team did is so well.

Here is Australia earlier today our time both the Australian and New Zealand cricket teams, and the crowd at the Cairns ground, had a minute's silence shortly after both countries had proclaimed Charles as Charles III of NZ and Charles III of Australia.

Back
Top Bottom