The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry VIII is mainly remembered for having 6 wives and beheading two. The Church matter seems to come after that.
Prince Charles perhaps will be remembered for having a mistress and making her Queen. Perhaps that will be the first memory of him in the future. Unfortunate but very probable.

That's how he's remembered popularly. But his legacy certainly includes his efforts to break the domination of the Catholic clergy on the country and the introduction of the Church of England. Any halfway serious biography of him is going to address a lot more than the fact he married so many times.

The Queen may be modernising but I don't think she'd modernise that much. If she's so against abdication, I can't imagine she would agree to leaving her throne to her grandson and skipping over her heir.

Prince William is being groomed to become the next British Monarch under an ‘arrangement’ that may see the first-in-line Prince Charles stepping aside.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Prince-William-to-become-next-British-Monarch/352752/

I would point out that the original article comes from the Daily Star! :whistling::whistling:

In Germany an articles like that is a typical headline made for the ´Sommerloch´...:whistling:( it means that there are no interesting/serious news during the summerbreak...so some funny or stupid headlines will be created...:cool:)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I needed that.

But seriously, where do they pull this garbage from?
Unfortunately, wishful thinking. I think Charles is going to be a good monarch. He's shown all the signs of being quite capable.
What makes them think that William WANTS to take his father's place??

Just my personal opinion ...

Prince William is being groomed to become the next British Monarch under an ‘arrangement’ that may see the first-in-line Prince Charles stepping aside ... [snipped]
It remains to be seen ...
As for the monarchy under Prince Charles, it will be usual, traditional as the monarchy is supposed to be ... Prince Charles will be a placid King. It would be fair to presume that being a King will significantly constrain his controversial comments.

Skipping a generation.....

The article was clearly not based on many facts, but it did raise an interesting thought. Whilst Charles may make a great monarch, him being "in the way" will mean that it is still a long time before Will gets to be King - and some may argue, that Britain will loose out on the opportunity to have a young and youthful monarch, who may invigorate the monarchy, and help bring it closer to the people. Being a traditonalist and not one to tinker with the traditional rules of monarchy, I would have thought that this was not a line of thought I was likely to push. The question really is that Will has the potential to be a real asset to the monarchy - and the question is how the BRF capitalises on it. Key amongst this will be for him to find and develop a meaningful role for himself and his wife - so that his "wait9ing" time is spend productively, and in a manner that will make him earn the respect of the people of the country.

Skipping a Generation

I think it's about time that the fictional faction pushing for William to elbow his father out of the way so we can all have a young, attractive, inexperienced, wonderkid King, checked their demographics. :whistling:

The UK, like most western countries, is facing an ageing population. Speaking as one of the millions in my age group I can honestly say that I am diverted by the Royal verson of "The Young and the Restless" however, when push comes to shove, I don't want a Kid on the throne for no other reason than his father is older and therefore redundant. :ohmy:

Isn't age discrimination against the law over there? :doh:

Besides, the "Kid" hasn't shown what he's made of yet! And we can be absolutely sure that love him or hate him, "King" Charles will be making his own decisions based on his own experience and life lessons. Noone is going to manipulate him with any ease. :boxing:

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that our next King will be his own man and, breaking with tradition, continue to speak out for sustainability, spaces for living instead of concrete jungles, local farming versus Monsanto et al. etc, ad nauseum. :graduate:

Wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago that Charles topped a poll of those that care for the countryside? How soon these yellow journo's forget. Oh wait, you have to actually know something to be able to "forget" it and since these guys are incapable of accurately researching a story let alone doing any reasearch whatsoever, my guess is we will just have to wait for the next thrilling installment of "Jealous Throbs the Heart at Court". I think the chapter heading is "Hamlet/William: Hopelessly misunderstood or just plain brainless!" :ROFLMAO:

Back in the 1970s, when Charles was the young 20 something, there were calls for the Queen to abdicate so that the country could have a 'young with it' king on the throne who wouldn't have to wait for too long before he took over.

Sound familiar anyone!!

Well I think Charles will be a fine Monarch. Unfortunately, for him to get there somebody has to die first and I'm not liking that thought. . . . :ermm:

:previous: Me neither Russo. :verysad:

The will of the day, shall have it's way.

Though there's nothing seceret about the fact that she'll automatically assume the style and title of Her Majesty Queen upon her husbands succession. Unless of course the 'matter', is dealt with prior.

I'm glade to be impartial where this topic is concerned, however. Sure, I have my preference and one I'd welcome right to the end, but lets be honest. Her title will hardly make or break my liking of her. I see something considerate and warm in her...something which has for many years, due to unfortunate circumstances, remained hidden or obscure, I believe.

And I confess. How imposing does she look in the article's photoshop...:rose:

As for Australia, I'm pretty certain most could hardly care. The spouse of the monarch has not a single constitutional right, and bears no relevance whatsoever within this Commonwealth. They are obliged all styles and titles in accordance with British legislature, nothing more.

I'm starting to think it unlikely Charles will even become King of Australia, though if he were to inherit this indapendant crown, it would be a short stay I think. But who for president??...lol.

The matter of Camilla will have little, if any, effect on Australia's governmental future.

I couldn't really find anywhere to put this -

PRINCE Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN, the News of the World can sensationally reveal.

Prince Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN | Royals | News | News Of The World

Oh right, NotW, it must be entirely accurate then! :whistling::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What is so secret for goodness´ sake, he married her. When he becomes King she will be Queen whether she is called Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Consort, or "Nothing". The King´s wife is Queen... (well there was the little detail of Mrs Fitzherbert!)

What is so secret for goodness´ sake, he married her. When he becomes King she will be Queen whether she is called Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Consort, or "Nothing". The King´s wife is Queen... (well there was the little detail of Mrs Fitzherbert!)

AFAIK George IV. had already "divorced" Mrs. Fitzherbert when he became king plus their marriage was invalid according to the law of these times, otherwise George would have lost his place in the succession as Maria Fitzherbert was a Roman Catholic. Plus she was not an ambitious woman: when William IV. ascended the throne he offered her the title of duchess in her own right for her services to his late brother and she refused.

I agree. There was a similar discussion in July 08 'Title for Camilla' thread. As the King's wife she is Queen . I think people know she would not rule etc. It is a psychological thing -Camilla won't be THE QUEEN. I think a lot of this is press manipulation to stir up antimonarchy feelings and sell papers.

AFAIK George IV. had already "divorced" Mrs. Fitzherbert when he became king plus their marriage was invalid according to the law of these times, otherwise George would have lost his place in the succession as Maria Fitzherbert was a Roman Catholic. Plus she was not an ambitious woman: when William IV. ascended the throne he offered her the title of duchess in her own right for her services to his late brother and she refused.

That is what they said(the divorced part) and that saved him from being called a bigamist :whistling:. I believe he carried her portrait to the end of his days.
I believe that by the time Charles becomes King all will be forgotten and it will be Long Live Queen Camilla.
The lady grows on you, I never thought I would say that but.....never say never.

I doubt all will be forgotten, but public opinion will soften over time. It already has.

I really feel sad for Prince Charles. It's going to be a right royal mess when HMTQ passes away.

(Camilla being crowned might be the least of his worries then)

He is within every right wanting to have Camilla crowned and be officially given her correct title in God's house, yet I still believe the angry mob will be vicious and outpspoken.

It might come down to the thought that both he and his advisors believe that if they have survived and thrived over other "scandals", then surely the adoring public will gasp and bite their tongue upon seeing Camilla in a flowing gown and coronation robes.

In the end, I firmly believe, dignity and decorum will prevail and a beautiful, multifaith coronation decorated with organic flowers from Highgrove's hot house will ensue for C&C.

Inspired by the article about Charles' "plot" this morning's "Sunrise" TV show had a telephone poll asking whether or not people thought Camilla should be Queen in due course. Something in the order of 88% voted "no". I don't know the number of callers or the extent to which republicanism motivated people to call, but, for what it is, I thought the result of the poll was interesting.

I missed that. Thanks Roslyn.

An expected outcome from an Australian audience, even though she'll never be our Queen/Princess Consort.

I missed that. Thanks Roslyn.

An expected outcome from an Australian daudience, even though she'll never be our Queen/Princess Consort.

She will be if we haven't become a Republic by then (which I think we will given the Queen's present health.)

I suspect that as the economy worsens the government will try to distract people by bringing the republican debate to the forefront and either have a series of plebiscites to find out what sort of republic people want or just a straight vote on a popularly elected president at the same time as the next federal election tying the hands of a new government.

She will be if we haven't become a Republic by then

Thats not correct I'm affraid.

taken from my previous post...

The spouse of the monarch has not a single constitutional right, and bears no relevance whatsoever within this Commonwealth. They are obliged all styles and titles in accordance with British legislature, nothing more.

Camilla will never be Queen/Princess Consort of Australia, whether we remain a monarchy or not. The only member of the BRF to hold any constitutional office is the sovereign. Remaining family members, including the spouse, are foreign royalty.

I feel sorry for him too. I don't think Charles and Camilla realize that these are probably the 'best' days of their lives. When he takes the #1 spot, all bets will be off.

I think the media is 'sort of' restrained in their current coverage of the monarchy because they do actually have respect for the queen. She hasn't really ever put a foot wrong in over 55 years on the throne, so I think they have some decorum (whatever that means!) when writing about the monarchy because they really don't want to insult her. She's done a good job.

Also, the queen has never really ever let people know what her private thoughts are on anything. That allows her to stay above the fray, which has the benefit of making her almost untouchable to criticism.

But there is NO love lost between Charles and the media. They are going to attack him every single day. Every time he opens his mouth to give an opinion, he's going to get torn down as someone who is full of himself, arrogant, and self-rightious. Over the years he's railed against all sorts of things publicy (bad architecture, global warming, GM foods, etc). By giving his opinions, it opens him up to being attacked and he will be attacked. It's going to be the mentality of "how dare you tell me how to live. Who do you think you are!"

The attacks will be doubly vicious because we now have this monster called the internet. This didn't exist for most of the queens reign. Any person in any country on this planet will be able to fling their hatred, jealouly, and envy of the monarchy to millions of other people. He will be crucified a million times over every day by websites, blogs, vlogs, chat rooms, etc.

I just keep coming back to the idea that 'this is as good as it gets' for him. It's not going to get better. Once he gets the 'top job', he'll be out the frying pan and directly into the fire. It's not going to be pretty.

Yes, it's going to be much harder for him, partly because he's had so much longer than the Queen before succeeding to the throne and partly because the press is so much more aggressive. On the other hand, if the heir to the throne can't speak out about substantive things, it really is going to look even more as though he's a time-wasting pleasure seeker, and William's already being tarred with that particular brush.

I tend to think that the position and mystique of being the Sovereign will protect Charles from attack from all but the most disrespectful, aggressive, republican, media forces once he becomes King, no matter how much they may be tempted. Only time will tell, of course, and a lot will depend on how Charles behaves once he becomes King.

It's inevitable that such a move, when having been proposed otherwise by Clarence House for the poast 4 years, will anger a good many people throughout Britain and the Commonwealth. The problem is once a controversial topic, always a controversial topic and that if any such proposal was good enough to suggest, then surely it's good enough to eventuate.

The coming months could well be (not to say they shall) a restless time for Clarence House. Something which is known to those of us who better understand such logistics, will not necessarily be received with such understanding by the broader scope who remain relatively unaware, except for what they read in tabloid magazines or what they are told via royal press releases, etc. Our enthusiasm means we take an interest in the workings of monarchy, but let us be honest, we are a minority.

A great many folk support the institution, but as has been seen before, when they feel either let down or mislead, the winds can change. Perhaps momentarily...who can ever be certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom