The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit when it comes to Anne i think Charles and she get on well privatley, but i still think wen it comes ot public duties and the performing of lack of my Ann and Camilla, Charles aides at least, might seek to find a solution to avoid any embrassing comparisons. However i think Charles might personally like to see Ed disspear off the public royal map.

Compared to her Coronation how Large is Charles expected to be will his sons wear robes ect ect some up how you think it might turn out.

I just hope the pomp and ceremony which was seen at his mother's coronation remains. It's been said he wishes to wear his naval unfirom instead of the traditional garb, and that I can handle, but I won't be at all impressed if the royal ladies of Europe, Asia and Africa turn up without their parure's and suites.

A coronation, for the masses, is as much about show as it is about adherence, sanctity and tradition.

I expect Anne to dress like a man though...she does it so well...:D

I wonder if they'll make coronation robes for all the peers or if they'll just have them come in their parliamentary robes.

I think Charles and Anne are quite close. I can't see there being any rivalry there.
You don't ask your sibling to name your child if you don't like them. So I too believe that Charles and Anne are close, I also believe that Anne gets on really well with Camilla.

There is bound to be a slight distance between the older two and the younger two, but I don't think it is anything more than a slight generation gap. there may have been big arguments in the past (we don't know that definitely), but as with any family, there are always going to be minor falling outs.

Long live King Tom, Dick or George as long as Charles is happy with it! :D

Camilla's legacy

Does anyone have any thoughts on what her legacy will be?

Don't get me wrong- I really like Camilla. I think that she is a wonderful woman who loves her family and is loyal to the royal family and her country. She also does lots of good works.

However, I think that she will be remembered most often as the woman who had an affair with Prince Charles and/or wrecked his marriage with Diana. Yes, it is only one of the reasons why the marriage didn't work. But, for some, it is the strongest or most important.

Too early to tell, IMO. If Charles dies before the Queen, Camilla's legacy will be different from her legacy if she spends a number of years as Queen Consort; her legacy as Queen Consort would be different from her legacy as Princess Consort. At this point it's largely conjecture.

Don't get me wrong- I really like Camilla. I think that she is a wonderful woman who loves her family and is loyal to the royal family and her country. She also does lots of good works.

However, I think that she will be remembered most often as the woman who had an affair with Prince Charles and/or wrecked his marriage with Diana. Yes, it is only one of the reasons why the marriage didn't work. But, for some, it is the strongest or most important.
I agree, and it is rather a shame -- but people just won't let things die a natural death. Happens in EVERY country at one time or another.

I tend to agree with acdc1. Duchess of Cornwall's legacy will always be marred by her earlier reputation.

Well, I do think that as time passes her legacy as "the woman who had an affair with Charles and wrecked his marriage to Diana" will be considerably diminished in light of what she chooses to become involved in. I think she will long be remembered for her charity work with osteoporosis, for example. However, to think that Camilla will ever really be seperated from Diana is foolish--because the three of them are forever linked together. But, I think that as years pass that connection will give way to an appreciation for the Duchess and for her years of standing by Charles--even when ridiculed and maligned by many.

Camilla will be remembered as the Consort of King Charles III; but unless she does something extraordinary on her own, that might be the only thing she'll be remembered for. She won't have any children in common with Charles for her to be remembered by; i.e. her DNA won't be part of the Royal Family.

Well, I do think that as time passes her legacy as "the woman who had an affair with Charles and wrecked his marriage to Diana" will be considerably diminished in light of what she chooses to become involved in. I think she will long be remembered for her charity work with osteoporosis, for example. However, to think that Camilla will ever really be seperated from Diana is foolish--because the three of them are forever linked together. But, I think that as years pass that connection will give way to an appreciation for the Duchess and for her years of standing by Charles--even when ridiculed and maligned by many.
Yes, I agree, as you might imagine, with the add on that she will also be remembered as the woman who seems to have made the Prince a happy and happily married man.

But it won't just be for her outstanding work to bring Osteoporosis into the 'news', but her involvement with Brook, the War Memorial Trust & Barnardos, to name just a few. She seems to involve herself with many of the smaller charities as well, the ones that are forgotten by many people. So her legacy will be different things to different people.

Of course her main legacy will be that of Queen to Charles' King! :wub:

Too early to tell, IMO.
So so true.

Yet on the other hand...:D

I'm not so sure her main legacy would be that of a Queen, if so crowned one. I can't 'see' Camilla being Queen, if so crowned one, long enough to create a legacy in such a way which would make her time spent as Queen stand out, or be something extraordinary. I could be wrong of course, I just can't invision it at this point in time. Perhaps because she isn't one yet?..lol. Possibly so. Most likely. We'll see.

Whatever her legacy, I hope she's portrayed fairly and with warmth.

Last edited:
Too early to tell, IMO. If Charles dies before the Queen, Camilla's legacy will be different from her legacy if she spends a number of years as Queen Consort; her legacy as Queen Consort would be different from her legacy as Princess Consort. At this point it's largely conjecture.
There must be hope, after all, Charles and Camilla have only been married for three years and three months and already we are thinking and talking of her legacy! :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback. I really enjoyed reading the comments and I think they are pretty well balanced.

My own opinion echoes some of what has already been stated. I've never disputed Camilla's affect on Charles or her discretion. She appears to be down-to-earth and easy to get along with. She could even be fun to have as friend. I will give her the credit she deserves. I also agree that it is early to 'seal the deal' on her legacy, however, I think the predominant theme will be her place in the Wales' marriage and the resulting impact on the monarchy.

Thanks again for all the feedback! :)

I think Camilla will be regarded the love of Prince Charles' life and an enduring influencer in most of his adult life. Camilla's supportive and calm influence will be compared to QE the Queen Mother's influence on King George VI.

However I think Camilla may be suggested to be an enduring and crucual influencer in Prince Charle's life: after Queen mother, Lord Mountbatten, and Sir Laurens Van der poster. If in the future we will be able to have great access to Prince Charles's personal journals, exchanged notes between him and Camilla, the assessement of Camilla's influence will have more substances. I always think Camilla will be assumed her position in Charles's life is not only about love, but also her long-term unqiue understandings in his most ideas and his passions in building a greater society while making his own marks in history.

Again, I do think Camilla shares the Queen Mother's certain traits in helping Charles to realise his dreams which endures his affections and gratitudes which sustains and deepens their ties.

Last edited:
Consorts generally have more enduring influence in private. The Queen Mother had one legacy with the public as the Queen Mum but she had a far greater legacy in private as the matriarch of the family; this legacy was far more powerful and I'm beginning to agree with Elspeth that her influence in the private realm wasn't so good.

It seems Camilla's greatest legacy will be her influence on other members of the royal family; first, of course, Charles, and then of course her stepsons. If she is really as close to William and Harry as they appear to be, then her influence on the future of the British monarchy could be great.

I still think her legacy (or Diana's for that matter) is not as important as the legacy that Charles and William as future monarchs make. Diana and/or Camilla could both have great legacies but unless Charles and William have their own legacies and their own influence on the Crown; their influence is as best peripheral.

CI still think her legacy (or Diana's for that matter) is not as important as the legacy that Charles and William as future monarchs make.
Indeed, because without Charles neither woman would be known and without Charles there would be no William.:flowers:

I still think her legacy (or Diana's for that matter) is not as important as the legacy that Charles and William as future monarchs make. Diana and/or Camilla could both have great legacies but unless Charles and William have their own legacies and their own influence on the Crown; their influence is as best peripheral.

My thoughts exactly. We have yet to see Charles as king. What kind of influence will he actively bring to Britain once he is in the top position himself? What will he achieve, what kind of definition of kingdom will he bring to the 21.century? What kind of legacy will he leave Britain?

Diana was IMHO very much at fault when she didn't understand that to make a strong and lasting impact any organization needs one prominent figurehead. That's it with the monarchy and that's the same for charities. I seem to recall that the difficulties between Charles and Diana started when she refused to see that there culd not be two charity organizations at the same time under the label "BRF- Wales line". When she was denied her own "The Princess' Trust" she started to upstage Charles instead of accepting that her support would have meant so much to the Prince's Trust. (Sources: Morton, Dimbleby). Camilla won't ever upstage Charles, she supports his charities, she supports the monarchy, she does all she can and finds herself other rewards than those who cater to her vanity. Sorry to sound so harsh towards Diana but Charles has done so much for Britain, so many thoughts and ideas considered and put to use much earlier than others - for me the height of unfairness was when Diana claimed he was not fit to be a king because he couldn't form a real bond with his people. And that ugly label still sticks!

We'll see what will happen once he is king. And only then we will be able to pas any judgment on Camilla's legacy. For her role in that so very personal triangle will be considered rather unimportant for the historians and later generations, but if it turns out she was the soul-mate of a great king, then she'll have a legacy. Even if this only means that trust and support is more important than selfishness and vanity.

I can only say what I imagine will be, or already is, Camilla's legacy based on what she means to me. To me, she is the unabashed, prevailing against the odds, here to stay, here to be happy, and here to be herself Camilla.
I admire her because she is totally herself, but unlike some people in royalty who "be themselves," she is also always appropriate. She is out doing her work the way she does it naturally and not to please anyone, yet she does it with consideration of everyone's temperaments and never is offensive or obnoxious. She is a perfect "royal" in that sense.

Last edited:
I think Camilla's legacy will depend a little on how old she is when she dies. She is only 60/61, so, God willing, she has many years ahead of her yet. Even if she only with us for the next twenty years there will be a whole generation of people who didn't experience the whole drama of the 90's but who will have lived in a world with the Duchess carrying out her duties supporting her husband and eventually her King and that will probably be the legacy she leaves behind. However, if she were to die in the near future I think that she would probably be forever known to quite a few as the third person in Charles and Diana's marriage.

Charles' legacy as King

With so many threads of what legacies the royal ladies will leave, I think its time to discuss what legacy Charles will leave since it was his title that put the ladies in a position to leave a legacy at all.

To start off, I know there's a possibility that Charles will not be King; however, its pointless IMO to discuss what legacy he will leave if he does not become King or if he abdicates shortly after assuming the throne.

So let's assume that Charles will be King and he will be King long enough to leave a legacy - good or bad - from his era as King. It could be a few years or many, just long enough in your opinion for him to leave a legacy.

So what legacy do you think that Charles will leave as King?

Indeed, because without Charles neither woman would be known and without Charles there would be no William.:flowers:

My thoughts exactly. We have yet to see Charles as king. What kind of influence will he actively bring to Britain once he is in the top position himself? What will he achieve, what kind of definition of kingdom will he bring to the 21.century? What kind of legacy will he leave Britain?

Hmmm, looks like its time for a new thread ;) :) .

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/charles-legacy-king-17888.html

So what legacy do you think that Charles will leave as King?

His legacy IMHO will be a very British one: he will have encouraged people to believe in themselves, he will have shown his utmost support for those who aim to better themselves and he will have shown the Britons that no matter how many golden spoons were put in your baby mouth, you still have a duty to fulfill, you still have to work for the community and you still can do something to keep this community of mankind going on.

He will have stood proud and strong and convinced of his agenda. He will have worked hard to put this agenda to live for the sake of his subjects. For me, his being king will only top his work as an outstanding Prince of Wales, so I believe his being king will only strengthen his contribution to society which already is something to be proud of. :flowers:

I am doubtful that the future King will reign long enough to leave a lasting legacy.

HM the Queen is 82 years old and (thankfully) in excellent health. She could easily live to be as old as her mother. The Prince of Wales is in his late 50s and if the Queen does live another 20 years or so he will be in his late 70s when he becomes King. IMO he won't have enough time to leave his stamp on things.

I am doubtful that the future King will reign long enough to leave a lasting legacy.

HM the Queen is 82 years old and (thankfully) in excellent health. She could easily live to be as old as her mother. The Prince of Wales is in his late 50s and if the Queen does live another 20 years or so he will be in his late 70s when he becomes King. IMO he won't have enough time to leave his stamp on things.

But there is already so much achievement connected to his name, so he won't have to start at level Zero. He will put the King's stamp on the things he cares about, probably change some things and be always good for some hefty surprise, I guess.

You're right BMC, there is the possibility that Charles will not be King long enough to create a legacy at all. However, if we make that assumption, there's no use to have a thread to discuss why Charles won't live long enough to leave a legacy.

This is why I asked other members to assume that he WILL be on the throne long enough to create a lasting legacy.

So if you assume that he will be King long enough to create a legacy - good or bad - what do you think that legacy will be?

I do think that Camilla's legacy will be different with different generations. For those who remember the 80's and 90's, Charles and Camilla's affair and Charles & Diana's marriage and divorce, Camilla will be known mostly as "the other woman", because, at that time, that's the most well-known thing she was. Of course, some will view her as a conniving homewrecker, while others will see her as a tragic figure. For those in the generation who were born in the 90's and today, she will probably be known as the Prince of Wales' wife, and, when Charles succeeds the throne (allowing that he or Camilla do not predecease Queen Elizabeth), she will be known as the Princess Consort or Queen Consort, and for all of the good things she does, charities, etc.

I don´t think that Charles´ legacy will only made of his years when he will be King.
All the good important work he does as the Prince of Wales will not end and will be not forgotten when he climbs the throne.
Although his duties than will be different in some parts ( i´m sure i will miss his critical statements in many cases) we will not see a ´new´ Charles.
He will be the caring King, i´m sure, and we also will see some changes to a more modern monarchy and ( and agree with Jo) some surprises nobody knows yet.
(IMO:))

So his legacy ( in the peoples mind) will be one of his whole life, of a man who works for a better world and who cares for the people first.
( I hope:flowers:)

In historical books/chronicals the people later will read about a Prince who had to wait long for his reign, who had a failed first marriage, and about a King Charles and Queen Camilla who were adored by the people and who pointed the way to the future of the British monarchy during their accession to the throne.
( I hope:angel:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom