The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Not a bad article apart from questioning the basis of "the facts" in the book.

What is the reason for the 'sudden' interest in Charles?

Three new books, a TV program and no known anniversary except the Queen overtaking Victoria but that should have produced books about the Queen and not Charles.

What is the reason for the 'sudden' interest in Charles?

Three new books, a TV program and no known anniversary except the Queen overtaking Victoria but that should have produced books about the Queen and not Charles.

and all of it speculation and one person's (so far) opinion.

The Times is serialising Meyers book and they (IMO) are diminishing their reputation for news by publishing "articles" based on her book. AS she has already been challenged on her statements on actual access, salt is required to digest.

Nearly every paper in the UK has gone into tabloid mode and none are really making sense in discussing the kind of king Charles will be.

Its embarassing so see how awful UK media has become.

No doubt the articles will be syndicated world wide and more garbage about the BRF will be published without thought and consideration.

I'm switching off.

I think it would be strange if there wasn't interest. The time is coming closer to him becoming King so of course people are interested in what sort of King he will be.
You might not like or agree with what's written but he is what he is warts and all.
They could be writing a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think it would be strange if there wasn't interest. The time is coming closer to him becoming King so of course people are interested in what sort of King he will be.
You might not like or agree with what's written but he is what he is warts and all.
They could be writing a lot worse.

Yes but what is getting my goat is that some author has written a book and UK media are treating it as if it is 100% true. Not debate; no balance and no other side of the argument. That is pathetic.

Yes but what is getting my goat is that some author has written a book and UK media are treating it as if it is 100% true. Not debate; no balance and no other side of the argument. That is pathetic.

Maybe the UK media know it's pretty much the truth

Maybe the UK media know it's pretty much the truth

Noone can know if it's the truth without facts. Things can seem more or less likely but.... wow, just wow..

Last edited by a moderator:
its a one sided story. All I would advise is dont believe everything you read. I find it amazing that so many people do.

Noone can know if it's the truth without facts. Things can seem more or less likely but.... wow, just wow..

I said pretty much the truth. He's not a saint and once again nothing that bad has been written about him

Last edited by a moderator:
its a one sided story. All I would advise is dont believe everything you read. I find it amazing that so many people do.
Yes, me too. Some comments seem realistic (like the ones about C&C "living apart" (as in spending alot of time alone not as in separated)) and it is worth discussing the validity or chance of comments being right. But it's frightening how many people take stuff at face value.

Yes, me too. Some comments seem realistic (like the ones about C&C "living apart" (as in spending alot of time alone not as in separated)) and it is worth discussing the validity or chance of comments being right. But it's frightening how many people take stuff at face value.

It is an isolated statement. I spent 4 yrs working away from home - only coming home at weekends. Many people would class that as living apart.
People in the military do that as well; so do business people travelling the world; pilots; maritime workers; people on ships; etc etc.

I dont speak for everyone but the time I spent away from home made coming home better and now we are together fulltime - its great.

What is missing in these statements is balance: so when people read it think who else does this? etc.

For the first time in royal history a senior member of the royal family had a life before joining the BRF - and they are making room for them outside of the formal life of the BRF. Camilla's children and grandchildren are used to Ray Mill and Charles and Camilla have agreed how that is to be managed.

Catherine and William get grief for the same thing - there is a family outside of the BRF. They love and want to spend time with them.

It is the UK media who create waves - not the people connected to the BRF or the BRF themselves. I'm sure Sophie sees her family as does Tim Lawrence. But the UK media aren't interested so we dont read about it.

Other royal families cope and so does other media - good example is the family of Maxima, or Mette-Marit.

UK media making a crisis out of nothing (or trying to sell newspapers)

It is an isolated statement. I spent 4 yrs working away from home - only coming home at weekends. Many people would class that as living apart.
People in the military do that as well; so do business people travelling the world; pilots; maritime workers; people on ships; etc etc.

I dont speak for everyone but the time I spent away from home made coming home better and now we are together fulltime - its great.

What is missing in these statements is balance: so when people read it think who else does this? etc.

For the first time in royal history a senior member of the royal family had a life before joining the BRF - and they are making room for them outside of the formal life of the BRF. Camilla's children and grandchildren are used to Ray Mill and Charles and Camilla have agreed how that is to be managed.

Catherine and William get grief for the same thing - there is a family outside of the BRF. They love and want to spend time with them.

It is the UK media who create waves - not the people connected to the BRF or the BRF themselves. I'm sure Sophie sees her family as does Tim Lawrence. But the UK media aren't interested so we dont read about it.

Other royal families cope and so does other media - good example is the family of Maxima, or Mette-Marit.

I did not say their "living apart" was a bad thing. I know a few of my friends have grandmothers living apart from spouses/longtime boyfriends. When you reach a certain age you have your life and routine so set in stone that a half-separate life can be much better than a constant compromise. If Charles wants to spend two weeks painting and gardening at Highgrove and Camilla enjoying the noisy family life, that sounds perfect to me.

I agree with your whole post. It must be like pulling teeth sometimes having a relationship with media....

Nearly every paper in the UK has gone into tabloid mode.

Yes, even the telegraph.

Its embarassing so see how awful UK media has become. No doubt the articles will be syndicated world wide and more garbage about the BRF will be published without thought and consideration.

I fear that the press will be even worse in their behavior towards Charles when he becomes king. They have also become more critical of William and Catherine.

There is a difference between being away from home when your working and being with your partner/ family when your not ..to working with your partner and then going to your own home after.

Extremely well said and very thoughtful.

This is key, I think. :flowers: Well said.

I think it a certainty to happen I'm sure the government would want it that way too.

Why Harry - like Andrew he will only be the second son of the monarch with a new generation already here to replace him in the nation's affections.

I think Will and Kate will only have the 2 children as appears to be the norm now in the royal family so if Harry has the same that's a nice amount of royals. The Queen blew things out a bit by having 4

Why Harry - like Andrew he will only be the second son of the monarch with a new generation already here to replace him in the nation's affections.

As long as the Cambridge children are old enough for duty.

By the time Harry has finished in the army - and he has indicated that he wants to stay the distance - so another nearly 20 years or so before he can be full-time. By then George will be 21 and so definitely old enough. Harry, by then will already be the 'joke' younger brother with the same sort of negative press that Margaret and Andrew were getting by then - and they were both more popular than their older siblings in their 20s - more fun, more charismatic - just like Harry.

Prince Charles and what he really thinks about Prince Andrew's 'sex slave' scandal | Daily Mail Online

I really hope that Charles will slim down the RF and concentrate of the core family: Himself & Camilla, WK & their children, Harry and his spouse.

So with a slimdown monarchy; we loose out on seeing the RF. 8 people are not going to be able to do the pint of engagements the RF does now. It's not logical.

Also, both William and Catherine have said they want a large family, so they're not going to stick to two children.

There is a glaring error in the article where it talks about Edward wanting to be Duke of Edinburgh and Sophie wanting to be made a Royal Duchess like Camilla and Kate before the Queen passes so she would be on equal footing.

In order for Edward to get his father's Dukedom both his parents have to pass. Since Charles will inherit the title when Philip dies and it merges with the Crown when his mother dies then it can be reissued.

Plus in every Richard Kay article there is Camillia bashing. This one claims that both Sophie and Kate don't have a great relationship with Camilla. Even though there doesn't appear evidence to support either claim.

The Royal family will reduce its size naturally. The Gloucesters and Kents will not be replaced by their children and no formal role for the Wessex kids or the York girls.

George is at least 20 years away from Royal duties. He still needs to grow up, go to school and university and then spend time in the service first so he only comes into play towards the end of his grandfather's reign sort of like William is now.

So with a slimdown monarchy; we loose out on seeing the RF. 8 people are not going to be able to do the pint of engagements the RF does now. It's not logical.

To be honest, I think that will change as well within the next decades. There will be changes to both scope and size.

Yes, even the telegraph.

I fear that the press will be even worse in their behavior towards Charles when he becomes king. They have also become more critical of William and Catherine.

The press has always been rough on Commoner Catherine. Even during the honeymoon phase all the compliments were backhanded. Or the praise was so deliberately over the top, that the writer knew the readers would roll their eyes. A very passive-aggressive formula that the press follows. The blue bloods who own the papers are very exclusive and sly that way.

I actually think they'll be lenient on Charles once he takes the throne. Right now they are posturing, once they think he respects their power and influence they'll let up. It's all a power game with the press. They want the BRF to bow to their whims.

And yes, the Telegraph has become an embarrassment on the same footing as The Daily Mail and The Express. It doesn't help that in recent years they've mainly hired ex-Mail employees.

Charles, the thoughtful prince - Telegraph
The Prince of Wales has borne that title for almost 57 years, during which time he has thought deeply about the crown he will wear and the kingdom he will serve. To listen to some of his observers, the fact that this reflective man has well-developed views about important matters is something to regret and even fear. Anyone taking a more considered view, though, will see things differently.

First, note that we are debating what sort of king Prince Charles will be, not whether he will be king. In an age of populist cynicism about British institutions, this is testament to the remarkable stability of the monarchy, the historic achievement of the Queen.

Second, Prince Charles has spent so many years contemplating this country and his place in it as a consequence of his mother’s own long service – something that should inspire celebration and gratitude, not the cavilling lamentation of those who fret about “meddling” from the throne.

The Prince’s thoughts during his long period of reflection do not raise the constitutional questions his detractors snidely and feebly suggest. And if Prince Charles does not reign precisely as his mother has, that is not automatically a bad thing. The monarchy may be a symbol of continuity, but it has never been preserved in aspic, instead evolving gradually along with the nation and its people. Indeed, attempting to reign as a carbon copy of his mother instead of being true to himself would surely not be the best course for the prince and his kingdom.

The succession, and the Prince’s sensible preparations for it, will inevitably prompt debate about crown and constitution. But supporters have nothing to fear from that. The argument for the monarchy, like that great institution itself, will surely triumph and emerge even stronger than before.

I once read a description in the late 90's that said, "Charles will be the most thoughtful and aware King the UK has ever had when he is crowned". I thought it was a apt statement, and I still remember it almost 20 years later.

Also, both William and Catherine have said they want a large family, so they're not going to stick to two children.

And long term, Charles and Camilla will be gone, Sophie and Edward will be aged. Just don't see any other outcome than William calling on the help of his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie. Perhaps not now or for a very long time, but seems he will definitely have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom